Announcement

Collapse

The Rules of Pacers Digest

Hello everyone,

Whether your are a long standing forum member or whether you have just registered today, it's a good idea to read and review the rules below so that you have a very good idea of what to expect when you come to Pacers Digest.

A quick note to new members: Your posts will not immediately show up when you make them. An administrator has to approve at least your first post before the forum software will later upgrade your account to the status of a fully-registered member. This usually happens within a couple of hours or so after your post(s) is/are approved, so you may need to be a little patient at first.

Why do we do this? So that it's more difficult for spammers (be they human or robot) to post, and so users who are banned cannot immediately re-register and start dousing people with verbal flames.

Below are the rules of Pacers Digest. After you have read them, you will have a very good sense of where we are coming from, what we expect, what we don't want to see, and how we react to things.

Rule #1

Pacers Digest is intended to be a place to discuss basketball without having to deal with the kinds of behaviors or attitudes that distract people from sticking with the discussion of the topics at hand. These unwanted distractions can come in many forms, and admittedly it can sometimes be tricky to pin down each and every kind that can rear its ugly head, but we feel that the following examples and explanations cover at least a good portion of that ground and should at least give people a pretty good idea of the kinds of things we actively discourage:

"Anyone who __________ is a liar / a fool / an idiot / a blind homer / has their head buried in the sand / a blind hater / doesn't know basketball / doesn't watch the games"

"People with intelligence will agree with me when I say that __________"

"Only stupid people think / believe / do ___________"

"I can't wait to hear something from PosterX when he/she sees that **insert a given incident or current event that will have probably upset or disappointed PosterX here**"

"He/she is just delusional"

"This thread is stupid / worthless / embarrassing"

"I'm going to take a moment to point and / laugh at PosterX / GroupOfPeopleY who thought / believed *insert though/belief here*"

"Remember when PosterX said OldCommentY that no longer looks good? "

In general, if a comment goes from purely on topic to something 'ad hominem' (personal jabs, personal shots, attacks, flames, however you want to call it, towards a person, or a group of people, or a given city/state/country of people), those are most likely going to be found intolerable.

We also dissuade passive aggressive behavior. This can be various things, but common examples include statements that are basically meant to imply someone is either stupid or otherwise incapable of holding a rational conversation. This can include (but is not limited to) laughing at someone's conclusions rather than offering an honest rebuttal, asking people what game they were watching, or another common problem is Poster X will say "that player isn't that bad" and then Poster Y will say something akin to "LOL you think that player is good". We're not going to tolerate those kinds of comments out of respect for the community at large and for the sake of trying to just have an honest conversation.

Now, does the above cover absolutely every single kind of distraction that is unwanted? Probably not, but you should by now have a good idea of the general types of things we will be discouraging. The above examples are meant to give you a good feel for / idea of what we're looking for. If something new or different than the above happens to come along and results in the same problem (that being, any other attitude or behavior that ultimately distracts from actually just discussing the topic at hand, or that is otherwise disrespectful to other posters), we can and we will take action to curb this as well, so please don't take this to mean that if you managed to technically avoid saying something exactly like one of the above examples that you are then somehow off the hook.

That all having been said, our goal is to do so in a generally kind and respectful way, and that doesn't mean the moment we see something we don't like that somebody is going to be suspended or banned, either. It just means that at the very least we will probably say something about it, quite possibly snipping out the distracting parts of the post in question while leaving alone the parts that are actually just discussing the topics, and in the event of a repeating or excessive problem, then we will start issuing infractions to try to further discourage further repeat problems, and if it just never seems to improve, then finally suspensions or bans will come into play. We would prefer it never went that far, and most of the time for most of our posters, it won't ever have to.

A slip up every once and a while is pretty normal, but, again, when it becomes repetitive or excessive, something will be done. Something occasional is probably going to be let go (within reason), but when it starts to become habitual or otherwise a pattern, odds are very good that we will step in.

There's always a small minority that like to push people's buttons and/or test their own boundaries with regards to the administrators, and in the case of someone acting like that, please be aware that this is not a court of law, but a private website run by people who are simply trying to do the right thing as they see it. If we feel that you are a special case that needs to be dealt with in an exceptional way because your behavior isn't explicitly mirroring one of our above examples of what we generally discourage, we can and we will take atypical action to prevent this from continuing if you are not cooperative with us.

Also please be aware that you will not be given a pass simply by claiming that you were 'only joking,' because quite honestly, when someone really is just joking, for one thing most people tend to pick up on the joke, including the person or group that is the target of the joke, and for another thing, in the event where an honest joke gets taken seriously and it upsets or angers someone, the person who is truly 'only joking' will quite commonly go out of his / her way to apologize and will try to mend fences. People who are dishonest about their statements being 'jokes' do not do so, and in turn that becomes a clear sign of what is really going on. It's nothing new.

In any case, quite frankly, the overall quality and health of the entire forum's community is more important than any one troublesome user will ever be, regardless of exactly how a problem is exhibiting itself, and if it comes down to us having to make a choice between you versus the greater health and happiness of the entire community, the community of this forum will win every time.

Lastly, there are also some posters, who are generally great contributors and do not otherwise cause any problems, who sometimes feel it's their place to provoke or to otherwise 'mess with' that small minority of people described in the last paragraph, and while we possibly might understand why you might feel you WANT to do something like that, the truth is we can't actually tolerate that kind of behavior from you any more than we can tolerate the behavior from them. So if we feel that you are trying to provoke those other posters into doing or saying something that will get themselves into trouble, then we will start to view you as a problem as well, because of the same reason as before: The overall health of the forum comes first, and trying to stir the pot with someone like that doesn't help, it just makes it worse. Some will simply disagree with this philosophy, but if so, then so be it because ultimately we have to do what we think is best so long as it's up to us.

If you see a problem that we haven't addressed, the best and most appropriate course for a forum member to take here is to look over to the left of the post in question. See underneath that poster's name, avatar, and other info, down where there's a little triangle with an exclamation point (!) in it? Click that. That allows you to report the post to the admins so we can definitely notice it and give it a look to see what we feel we should do about it. Beyond that, obviously it's human nature sometimes to want to speak up to the poster in question who has bothered you, but we would ask that you try to refrain from doing so because quite often what happens is two or more posters all start going back and forth about the original offending post, and suddenly the entire thread is off topic or otherwise derailed. So while the urge to police it yourself is understandable, it's best to just report it to us and let us handle it. Thank you!

All of the above is going to be subject to a case by case basis, but generally and broadly speaking, this should give everyone a pretty good idea of how things will typically / most often be handled.

Rule #2

If the actions of an administrator inspire you to make a comment, criticism, or express a concern about it, there is a wrong place and a couple of right places to do so.

The wrong place is to do so in the original thread in which the administrator took action. For example, if a post gets an infraction, or a post gets deleted, or a comment within a larger post gets clipped out, in a thread discussing Paul George, the wrong thing to do is to distract from the discussion of Paul George by adding your off topic thoughts on what the administrator did.

The right places to do so are:

A) Start a thread about the specific incident you want to talk about on the Feedback board. This way you are able to express yourself in an area that doesn't throw another thread off topic, and this way others can add their two cents as well if they wish, and additionally if there's something that needs to be said by the administrators, that is where they will respond to it.

B) Send a private message to the administrators, and they can respond to you that way.

If this is done the wrong way, those comments will be deleted, and if it's a repeating problem then it may also receive an infraction as well.

Rule #3

If a poster is bothering you, and an administrator has not or will not deal with that poster to the extent that you would prefer, you have a powerful tool at your disposal, one that has recently been upgraded and is now better than ever: The ability to ignore a user.

When you ignore a user, you will unfortunately still see some hints of their existence (nothing we can do about that), however, it does the following key things:

A) Any post they make will be completely invisible as you scroll through a thread.

B) The new addition to this feature: If someone QUOTES a user you are ignoring, you do not have to read who it was, or what that poster said, unless you go out of your way to click on a link to find out who it is and what they said.

To utilize this feature, from any page on Pacers Digest, scroll to the top of the page, look to the top right where it says 'Settings' and click that. From the settings page, look to the left side of the page where it says 'My Settings', and look down from there until you see 'Edit Ignore List' and click that. From here, it will say 'Add a Member to Your List...' Beneath that, click in the text box to the right of 'User Name', type in or copy & paste the username of the poster you are ignoring, and once their name is in the box, look over to the far right and click the 'Okay' button. All done!

Rule #4

Regarding infractions, currently they carry a value of one point each, and that point will expire in 31 days. If at any point a poster is carrying three points at the same time, that poster will be suspended until the oldest of the three points expires.

Rule #5

When you share or paste content or articles from another website, you must include the URL/link back to where you found it, who wrote it, and what website it's from. Said content will be removed if this doesn't happen.

An example:

If I copy and paste an article from the Indianapolis Star website, I would post something like this:

http://www.linktothearticlegoeshere.com/article
Title of the Article
Author's Name
Indianapolis Star

Rule #6

We cannot tolerate illegal videos on Pacers Digest. This means do not share any links to them, do not mention any websites that host them or link to them, do not describe how to find them in any way, and do not ask about them. Posts doing anything of the sort will be removed, the offenders will be contacted privately, and if the problem becomes habitual, you will be suspended, and if it still persists, you will probably be banned.

The legal means of watching or listening to NBA games are NBA League Pass Broadband (for US, or for International; both cost money) and NBA Audio League Pass (which is free). Look for them on NBA.com.

Rule #7

Provocative statements in a signature, or as an avatar, or as the 'tagline' beneath a poster's username (where it says 'Member' or 'Administrator' by default, if it is not altered) are an unwanted distraction that will more than likely be removed on sight. There can be shades of gray to this, but in general this could be something political or religious that is likely going to provoke or upset people, or otherwise something that is mean-spirited at the expense of a poster, a group of people, or a population.

It may or may not go without saying, but this goes for threads and posts as well, particularly when it's not made on the off-topic board (Market Square).

We do make exceptions if we feel the content is both innocuous and unlikely to cause social problems on the forum (such as wishing someone a Merry Christmas or a Happy Easter), and we also also make exceptions if such topics come up with regards to a sports figure (such as the Lance Stephenson situation bringing up discussions of domestic abuse and the law, or when Jason Collins came out as gay and how that lead to some discussion about gay rights).

However, once the discussion seems to be more/mostly about the political issues instead of the sports figure or his specific situation, the thread is usually closed.

Rule #8

We prefer self-restraint and/or modesty when making jokes or off topic comments in a sports discussion thread. They can be fun, but sometimes they derail or distract from a topic, and we don't want to see that happen. If we feel it is a problem, we will either delete or move those posts from the thread.

Rule #9

Generally speaking, we try to be a "PG-13" rated board, and we don't want to see sexual content or similarly suggestive content. Vulgarity is a more muddled issue, though again we prefer things to lean more towards "PG-13" than "R". If we feel things have gone too far, we will step in.

Rule #10

We like small signatures, not big signatures. The bigger the signature, the more likely it is an annoying or distracting signature.

Rule #11

Do not advertise anything without talking about it with the administrators first. This includes advertising with your signature, with your avatar, through private messaging, and/or by making a thread or post.
See more
See less

The trade almost one year later

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The trade almost one year later

I have some time this morning, so I am starting this thread a few weeks earlier than the one year anniversary.

I thought it might be interesting to take a new look at the trade involving the Warriors and the Pacers. Let me say upfront that I will not debate the reasons why the trade had to happen or even if it was a good trade or bad trade. I only plan to look at the 5 players still on the teams they were traded to. (so no talk of Saras, Powell, or Mcloud)

Whenever I look at a trade, I always start with the best player that was traded. And as much as I might hate to admit it, the best of the 5 players for his current team is clearly Stephen Jackson . He is clearly the second most important player on a team that is currently 17-12. And then when you consider he was out the first handful of games and look at their record since he's been back Jackson has a real chance of being an allstar this season. The trade has saved his career. And I have no problem with that , I swish him well except when he plays the Pacers.

OK, now lets move to the second best player in that trade. Mike Dunleavy. He won't make the allstar team and he isn't the most important player on the Pacers team. He isn't the second most important player either. I call him the guy that makes things work. He the type of player (except in the Knicks game) where you don't really notice him that much when he's on the floor. It is when he goes to the bench that you realize his true value. So many times this season I'll be watching a game and the team is struggling, going through one of their bad runs within a game - it seems with rare exceptions that bad stretches occur when Mike is on the bench.

I clearly think Mike is more valuable than Granger at this time - he's most important to our success. It is strange because there will be times during the game, when I'll think, we need Rush's shooting ability, Granger's defense, Williams athleticism, Daniels all around play and there will be times when I almost forget about Mike - but he's the only one of those guys that makes other players better. He makes the team better just by being on the floor. Mike is perfect in this offensive system, and if the pacers do have an allstar player, Mike should be the only who makes it.

After those two guys there is a dropoff to Al Harrington . It seems a little strange that Nelson is the 3rd head coach he's had that thinks he's best as a 6th man. I realize he is starting right now and might very well continue to start the rest of the season, but it just seems all of his coaches (except in Atlanta) think he is better coming off the bench. When the trade was made, I considered Al the best player in the trade, now I think he's clearly the 3rd best player. At this point in his career I think he is what he is. A poor rebounder, a streaker scorer, a decent defender - a nice player to have around, but nothing more.

Let's move to Troy Murphy . Yes he can shoot, yes he has good hands, he's not a horrible passer, he can rebound (although he doesn't very much) he IMO is just an average player - not that there is anything wrong with that (well except for his salary) His team defense is really not bad, his one-on-one defense is often bad beyond discription. As I mentioned a few weeks ago, he is slow and small for a power forward - that is a bad combination.

Ike Diogu anyone else notice how many people are starting to call him Ike Diogo, it seems like Quinn started it, now Slick calls him that and even O'Brien has called him that. Ike is not the type of post player that you can just throw him the ball and have him go to work. Against bigger players he has trouble getting his shot off. He needs to get more face-up shots though and post ups after ball reversals and misdirection plays. I like Ike, whenever he plays big minutes he scores and rebounds.

Who has this trade helped more the Pacers or Warriors. At first glance it has helped the Warriors more - no doubt. Does that mean I wish the trade had never taken place, absolutely not - the trade had to be made and the trade also helped the Pacers - it wasn't going to work with Al and Jax here.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 12-28-2007, 12:01 PM.

Re: The trade almost one year later

I feel like it was a pretty even trade now. Dunleavy for Jackson straight up I feel is an even trade in terms of what both teams needed, I think this worked out well for both teams. Both players needed a new enviornment and it has allowed them both to succeed.

Then you have Murphy and Diogu for Harrington and junk. Mcleod was an expiring contract for two fairly worthless players, and than after that the trade all depends on Diogu. If diogu pans out or nets us a nice player in a trade I would say we broke even. Murphy is a decent player who is vastly overpaid. I like him on this team if you cut his salary in half (and he comes off the bench). The trade was really harrington for diogu, but someone had to make the salaries work, and a bad contract was the price for a young player with potential. At least Murphy isn't totally worthless, he has his games where he makes a positive impact, sometimes...

However, I think Dunleavy for Jackson straight up might have been the best option... our contract situation sucks. But we will see... If Diogu ends up being a key piece in a trade for us, it may turn out to have been worthwile.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Comment

I guess I've got to argue against SJack here. He's putting up similar percentages as far as shooting goes as he did here, he just get's more shots in that system (as I'm sure he would've under our system now had he still been here). Dunleavy is shooting nearly 50%. If Dun Dun were more aggressive, I have to think he'd be close to an All-Star.

Harrington is a dud as far as reaching his ceiling. He has reached his cap and hopefully he'll learn how to do more "little" things to make his team better instead of worrying about his scoring average. His time for that is over.

Murph is Croshere without the fan favortism.

Ike still needs some PT. Until that day, the Warriors got more of what they needed than the P's did. If JO was some how gone, then we might be able to see what Ike is capable of. I don't know if he'll ever be able to reach that crazy potential of being a solid starter, but seems to be suited towards coming off the bench and schooling the opposing teams 2nd string.

I'm still glad it all happened in order to get rid of the attitude crew we had in at that time.

PS. Still waiting for the other shoe to drop with Jack. May not happen this year........but tick tick tick....

Comment

Originally posted by Phildog View Post
        Murph is Croshere without the fan favortism.
        Murphy is a much better all around scorer then Cro and a better rebounder too. His defense is worse, but I think the things he does bring on the offensive side make him a far more valuable player to us then Cro was.

At the same time, I really feel like Ike plays better and better the longer he's in a game without foul trouble. He's very active and a couple made shots and a nice rebound when he first gets in really gets him in the flow of the game nicely. If Ike comes in and doesn't do anything quickly he seems to get yanked, and I think JOB needs to do a better job making him a big part of what we do. In 2 years he could very well be the best player in this deal.

When you look at how this trade benifits us though, I don't think you can look at what Jack and Al are doing with Golden State, you have to look at who they were as players for us, and what has happened to our team since we moved them. I think even though we had that major dropoff last season after the deal, we avoided a major chemisty issue and possibly some irreparable damage to JO and Al's friendship. They were doing a worse and worse job co-existing with each other last season, and Al had pretty much given up on being aggressive with the ball and was just looking to shoot the 3. Jack we pretty much had to move for obvious reasons. For those 2 must move parts, we took bad some big salaries but we got 3 players who contribute for us now much more then the 2 parts we gave away last season, great deal.

Comment

First of all, great thread idea / conversation (a year into the trade) for evaluation.

I think this was one of the best addition by subtraction trades that has ever happened for the Pacers. Jack absolutely HAD to go, and it was at Al's expense. The other players were throw ins to make it work obviously. It was unfortunate losing Al, because of the "double loss" with losing the first round pick to get him back from the Hawks in the first place.

Since then, Al has proven to be what he is, an average, streaky player who doesn't like to get physical getting rebounds or playing tough defense. He'd rather camp on the 3 point line. And that wasn't what we needed him to do.

DunDun is a great team player, and an average one on one player. But I'd rather have a great team oriented player in the offense we are running now. In RC's offense, DunDun was basically useless. Props to LB for finding the right coach in Obie (or so it seems right now anyway) to get the best out of the players that we have. I have always believed that you have to coach to the players strengths.

Troy is an OK player, but just simply way overpaid. Ala, Croshere. If Troy's salary was cut in half, he would be a great value player. But as I have said before, I think he is a false positive player (with his so called double double capabilities), because his one on one defense is atrocious.

Jack. What can you say. He is a time bomb. Pretty good shooter, but bad shot selection at the same time. Arguing with the refs, when his player is on the other end scoring just absolutely kills team defense and chemistry. I do not miss that one little bit. His bad outweighs his good IMO. Good riddance.

Ike. I wish we could have convinced Mullin to give us Ellis or even Barnes instead. Just think how our team would have looked with one of those 2. Oh well, thats water under the bridge now. Ike can be good, but he needs minutes. How many will he get under JO is the big question. We need to put him on a stretching machine and give him about 4 more inches (keep your jokes to yourselves). If he was 7 foot instead of 6'8", he could be dominate (ala Dwight or even the emerging Bynum). Other than that, I really like his work ethic and hustle. At this point, I think Hulk has caught up to him in value though (just my opinion).

All that said ... it was an equal trade. It has made both teams better in the end. However, there is a fuse burning and its in Oakland now.

Go Pacers!!!

Comment

If you wanna play the "what if" game take this into consideration.

How would it have been had we not made the trade, but instead fired Carlisle and hired O'Brien at mid season last year.

Let's face it, no matter who was here under what circumstance. As long as you had the combination of Jermaine O'Neal and Rick Carlisle together the style of play was going to be the style of play. I contend that nobody benefits other than O'Neal from that that play.

So now go back and add Jackson, Saras & Al to the new system under O'Brien and try and figure if they would have done as well, better or worse than the group we have now.

Hard to say really.

But to the trade itself I'll just say this. No one player in this deal is significantly better than the other at this time so from that standpoint the Pacers have 3 of 4 left playing while the Warriors have 2 of 4. So I guess we came out a little ahead there.

But IMO, the entire thing was a wash from a talent standpoint.

So having said that, you had chemistry issues on the team prior to the trade and as of now you don't have any that are public anyway.

This was a trade that IMO, helped both teams, yet didn't solve either of their problems.

But I will say this, prior to the trade the team was dead in the water with zero upward mobility at all. You can make the same argument now, but I just get the feeling that we have more ability to either move up or down with the current group.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Comment

[QUOTE=Peck;636476]
              How would it have been had we not made the trade, but instead fired Carlisle and hired O'Brien at mid season last year.

well, this particular "what-if" is a moot point, since the motivation behind the trade was to rid the team of the accumulated tension and bad press that had piled up since the brawl...

and, for the most part, it has been successful in that. and i prefer the present line-up (and coach) over what we had before.

Comment

Originally posted by BoomBaby33 View Post
                I think this was one of the best addition by subtraction trades that has ever happened for the Pacers. Jack absolutely HAD to go, and it was at Al's expense. The other players were throw ins to make it work obviously. It was unfortunate losing Al, because of the "double loss" with losing the first round pick to get him back from the Hawks in the first place.
                I disagree with this. I think this trade was based around the Pacers calling the Warriors to gauge their interest in Al, since they had been the other team in the running before he came here. I think it started with Al for Ike and both players had contracts/personalities that needed to go and those got swapped as well.

Obviously all speculation, but I think Larry and Donnie decided Al needed to go which just happened to open the door for Jack to be moved.

Comment

The Warriors got better you'd have to say. I'd say we stayed about the same at least right now.

Comment

The coach change thing is interesting. I think Bird may have had it right in his day about a 4 year shelf life, unless your Jerry Sloan I guess.

I don't think there is a coach on the planet that was going to coach that team over the long haul, to many "me" guys, imho.

I guess before the trade I felt like the ceiling was based on chemistry and selfishness. This made it a bad product AND completely unlikeable.

Now I guess I feel the ceiling is based on talent or lack thereof. Still frustrating, but not quite the jagged pill.

I remember Boyle saying once, you have to have talent to win at this level. Seems simple and obvious, but its true.

I guess overall, I see this a step in the right direction, but I don't see this group nearly good enough to compete at the highest level. I'm not down on them, but with each passing game I just wonder is Tinsley taking over the 4th quarter the foundation of what this team is about. Is Murphy shooting the ball as soon as he touches it what I'm going to watch all the time.

Looking back on the trade, I echo whats been said, it had to be done. I like the guys they got back infinitely better. I just see it as a step, not the destination.

Lastly, listening to all the Reggie games the last couple of days on WIBC or 1070 or whatever it is,has really made me realize how far off this group is, imho.
                    Last edited by Speed; 12-28-2007, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Obie single-handedly turned this deal from laughable to respectable. Dunleavy has been excellent so far.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
                      Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
                      NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Comment

1) I agree with Kstat. Maybe it wasn't JOB per se, but something has Mike dropping the 3 better than ever. That has moved him to even with Jackson perhaps in my book. I was saying it all off-season, that a key to some surprise improvement would be Mike fixing his outside shot.

One area that we still are hurting on this comparison is emotion. Fans might have hated Jackson, but that dude brings emotion to the table and gets teams fired up and interested. As likable as Dun is, this just isn't his strong suit.

2) Al was a soft defender/rebounder that shot the 3. Troy is too. But at this point I have to still give Al the advantage. Whatever Al does poorly, he still does it better than Troy as far as I can tell.

3) Contracts - still a hard loss for Indy

4) Ike - was the wild card then, still is the wild card now. The results with him on the court haven't been all that impressive. He still has size issues, passing issues, and mistake issues. He still gets great post position and has a real knack for scoring the ball.

To me if Hulk was healthy he'd clearly be ahead of Ike. That makes Ike somewhat redundant. Shawne adds to that too.

-- Bottom line, right now I don't think Ike has been enough to make up for the contract hit and the slight edge with Al-Troy or the fire/emotion edge Jack has over Mike.

I mean compare where the team was last year in W-L vs now, and that included some injury issues and Jackson starting the first month with by far his worst 3pt effort, which can be assumed to be related to the hit and run.

I want to add that I do agree with Isaac regarding Al being the jump off point for this deal. Pacers had shown interest in Ike, GS had chased Al. Al was coming off a big pout session and a benching by Rick. This included the PUBLIC comment of Al going "Ron Artest" (his words).

Let's not get revisionist here. The fans may have hated Jackson, but the coach clearly loved him. How can I say that? Um, huge hug following their matchup post-trade when Jack went off, as well as continued playing time for Jack despite his volatile reactions to Rick when he was unhappy about something (usually being pulled from a game).

There were no signs of the frostiness that apparently ran between Tins and Rick. Does anyone see anything close to those 2 relationships being similar (Rick-Tins vs Rick-Jack)?

Comment

well, this particular "what-if" is a moot point, since the motivation behind the trade was to rid the team of the accumulated tension and bad press that had piled up since the brawl...

and, for the most part, it has been successful in that.
                          8 Seconds, Shawne Williams, Cloud 9, horrible attendance...

For the most part it's been a massive failure. I'm not even against the players in those situations, I'm pretty anti-fan on the matter. My point is just that to me TPTB tried to fix something that the fans were saying was the reason they didn't like the team, and that after doing what they asked the fans double-crossed them.

"Did we say we'd watch if you got rid of Jackson? No, we didn't mean that, we meant that if you got Garnett and Reggie came out of retirement and the team went 17-3 to start the year that THEN we'd show up. But you guys wouldn't listen so I guess it's Colts time for us. Let's us know when you show the fans you care again."

Clearly by now it should be obvious that I'm extremely bitter about local fan support for any of the sports teams. My feelings about the local press coverage isn't much better, and not even so much the sports department but rather the general news that feeds on some ramped up Pacers drama far more than it tries to bask in the reason we like having local teams.

Unforgiven (paraphrased)
                          "Well I guess they had it coming."

To me that's the press, they've gone into "had it coming" when it comes to Pacers bad luck. It's long since stopped being us against the world, which was the attitude back in the early 90's. Of course the fans didn't show up back then either, but at least the press liked the team.

And the response to that quote is of course: "We all got it coming kid." That's why it should be us against the world, because honestly the Pacers players haven't been devils, haven't been dealing drugs, DUI'd, caught stealing or any of the other issues that plague the other "in trouble with the law" teams. They don't have it coming anymore than the rest of us as far as I can tell.
                          Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 12-28-2007, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
                            8 Seconds, Shawne Williams, Cloud 9, horrible attendance...

For the most part it's been a massive failure. I'm not even against the players in those situations, I'm pretty anti-fan on the matter. My point is just that to me TPTB tried to fix something that the fans were saying was the reason they didn't like the team, and that after doing what they asked the fans double-crossed them.
                            Call me when a player that we got in the trade gets into trouble, then you may have a point.

Jax had been involved in more than one incident, so by getting rid of him and by getting players who stay out of trouble they did what they intended to do.

Now if you want to argue that Tinsley should be gone too, that's different, but view the trade as the trade.

As far as attendance, the actual players were half of the problem. Winning was the rest.
                            Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

Comment

At this point, it worked out well for both sides, precisely what a trade is meant to do especially when both teams are giving up pieces that were no longer in ideal situations.

Dunleavy's playing the best ball of his career and is the perfect complimentary, system-type guy. Nothing wrong with that, although it's hard to count on him to step up and carry the team on his back. Dude does a lot of small things that makes the offense run.

Harrington was ALWAYS overrated. I never had any idea why people felt he was the best player in the deal, the only edge he possibly could've had over Jack was scoring-wise and Jack's career PPG is actually higher. Relies on open looks created from Baron and Jack and doesn't do much else. Can score but defense is mediocre, rebounding still hasn't improved. Chemistry-wise, Al's fantastic. He's real tight with both Jack and Baron and that gives him a lot of value on that team from a personality standpoint.

Murphy is essentially the same as Al, but certainly less prolific. Better rebounder but even more feeble defensively and relies too much on the open perimeter shot created by the better players. Overpaid. Neither team exactly grabbed a valuable veteran big man in this deal, to say the least.

Diogu, as has been said a million times, is the wild card. Still too small a sample size to really figure out if he sways the balance. I doubt he becomes a force down low, but I wouldn't discount his ability to be a go-to post scorer off the bench averaging about 10-12 PPG on a relatively decent percentage.

Comment

Working...
                              X