Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: We need a trade

Default Re: We need a trade

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    . . . and obvious need for a rebuild . . .

Huh? Oh right, the Pacers did lose their last game.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffg-body View Post
    I have to say we don't need a trade right now, just some patience. Remember we are less than half a season into a new system with new role players. The best thing we have right now is chemistery starting to develop. We have guys playing well and we are playing better than all "experts" expected. The tide is starting to turn and a good sign that the fans are coming back by recent ticket sales. In the new era of the NBA trades do one of 2 things, make you better talent wise or make you better financial wise. To be above 500 with the type of schedule we have played and all of the change that took place is very encouraging to me.
    But Jeff, we lost our last game! Don't you understand that whenever we lose we need a trade or a complete rebuild, etc.?
    Last edited by Will Galen; 12-27-2007 at 11:13 PM.

lol its ok.

If we beat Pistons tomorrow this board will be bragging about how good we are and how we beat the best team in the central division

AUSTRALIA'S NO.1 PACER FAN

Dream Big

I don't want a trade yet.. the problem is the starting lineup. Troy Murphy has absolutely no business starting over Jeff Foster.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by tora tora View Post
    I don't want a trade yet.. the problem is the starting lineup. Troy Murphy has absolutely no business starting over Jeff Foster.
    I would argue that we may have no choice but to give Murphy more minutes...if not start him over Foster...mainly because Foster has had a history of missing games.

I agree with everyone that thinks that we should be patient to see how this team does. But the problem is that this requires that the entire lineup remains healthy. Unfortunately, we are dependant on players that have been fighting injuries the entire season.

When was the last time that we ever had a lineup that wasn't hindered by some injury for an extended period of time?

If we ever make a trade for players.....durability is one of the traits that I would look for in the players we get back.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    I have come to the conclusion that Obie and co. are getting the best they can out of the team as currently constructed. We're just an average team. That's all we're going to be until some roster changes are made.
    I don't believe this to be true. I think we have lost our fair share of games we should have won - games in which we were up by 20 or winning going into the final 2 minutes. I think better coaching decisions need to be made during games as opposed to between them.

A minor trade, however, one that will shorten our bench a 2 for 1 or a 3 for 2 might be beneficial, because right now there aren't enough minutes going around.

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

How about just an acquisition? Daniel Artest (yes, brother), PG, Rockford Fury, 255 lbs as reported on TNT w/ chuck, ernie and kenny.

http://www.rockfordfury.com/dsp_roster.cfm
    Last edited by kester99; 12-28-2007 at 02:07 AM.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by celticpacers
    Theres a RUMOR on local sports station in Indianapolis that The Pacers and The Suns are talking trade. JO and Jeff Foster To the Sun for Marion and Barbosa.
    Anyone heard any thing of this? Sounds way too good to be true to me. Although a deal with the Suns seems very interesting, with either Amare or Shawn Marion + Atlanta's 1st coming our way.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kofi View Post
    Although a deal with the Suns seems very interesting, with either Amare or Shawn Marion + Atlanta's 1st coming our way.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning View Post
    Obviously Amare would be a long shot, as he's still a stud. However if the Suns ever accept the reality that they're never going to win a championship with their lackluster interior defense, Jermaine O'Neal would be their perfect solution. The only thing Amare has on J.O. is offense, and who knows how well J.O. could score in the Suns system with Nash feeding him the ball.

How is the second trade far fetched? It was proposed on another forum by a Suns fan and around 50% of their fans liked it. Marion's value is slightly lower than J.O.'s, and you do realize the Hawks pick is currently at #19, right? Somehow I don't think you do. If the Hawks were still a lottery team with a top-5 pick, then sure it would be a huge stretch, but they're not.
    Last edited by Kofi; 12-28-2007 at 07:46 AM.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

I really think that we will not shake this roster up too much. We need a PG that is apparent. But the team has startted to unify (1 loss does not change that).

We are also seeing the effects of not having a proactive leader in this bunch. Any leadership that JO provides is after the fact, reactive to be more precise. I am convinced that if this team is average at best then I can deal with that.

Elite players are hard to come by. Miller has been the only true elite player this organization has had in its NBA tenure. Sure there have been All-Stars. But none have had the resolve and poise that Reggie had on the court.

If and when J.O. is moved, Jeff is not the guy I'd want to
    see accompany him. Jeff fits the '5' spot in OB's system
    pretty damn nicely.

No ones going anywhere. Someone needs to start a thread on the dissappointment of ________, a la Kareem Rush so that player can turn around and become a stud.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Juan Dixon is available, according to hoopshype.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Just to be clear, I didn't post this as a knee-jerk reaction to the Atlanta loss. I've been dwelling on this for a bit now, and with nearly 30 games under our belts, I feel confident that a trade is needed to have a shot at getting above average.

I don't dislike our team. I just think we need some tweaks.

That rumored Phoenix deal sounds interesting, though I've never really been as high on Marion as some others on the forum.

How about JO, Granger, 2009 1st round pick for Amare, Barbosa, and Piatowski? (Piatowski is only included to make the deal work financially, we'd probably buy him out)

Phoenix becomes much better defensively with the addition of JO. Granger or HIll becomes their sixth man and still sees probably 30 minutes a game.
    PHX:
    PG: Nash
    SG: Bell
    SF: Granger or Hill
    PF: Marion
    C: JO

The Pacers commit themselves to the uptempo and the addition of a guy like Amare would do a lot to bring the fans back IMO. We get worse defensively, but like I said this would be a full commitment to the uptempo style of play. Dun would get to move back to the SF position and we would be able to get Shawne and Ike more PT off the bench.

IND:
    PG: Tins/Quis/Barbosa
    SG: Barbosa/Quis/Rush
    SF: Dun/Shawne/Rush
    PF: Amare/Ike/Murphy
    C: Foster/Murphy/Harrison

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    In other news... the sky is blue.
    Ya had that coming Shade.

Mal - I don't think they've quit yet, but I mentioned to Gnome last night that JO's reaction to the Tins-fest Atlanta loss has me concerned. I'm not knocking JO, nor should I really imply that it was a JO reaction to Tinsley's shooting exactly since I don't know, but he obviously was in a foul mode regarding that loss.

I am going to harp this point till it's proven false, this team was 29-24. They won games post-trade. I think the trade hurt them, but I'm willing to concede that instead it was a LATERAL move. What still worries me then is that last year they hit that really tough patch of schedule, started losing, and THEN they "gave up".

To me this team hasn't done enough or shown enough consistancy to make me feel like they could ride out a rough patch of games, though in their defense they did take that 6 game streak well. On the other hand that was extremely early in the season and with plenty of injury roster shake-ups and learning the system excuses to fall back on.

Can this group handle 6 straight losses if it's Tinsley shooting 8-21 and saying "my shot wasn't falling but I asked the coach if I was shooting too much..." or JO flubbing on offense himself or Danny doing a youthful MIA or Mike doing a "who me" MIA or Troy getting toasted on defense....

What happens when it's not injuries or understanding the system? What happens when/if they have to face up to just not having enough for the next stage? That can be demoralizing.

But back to Bball's point, I agree with Shade too, but "What can you do? Stand Pat!" They are pretty stuck right now, or so it would seem.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    any trade we do will probably make us worse in the short term, like last season's golden state trade.

simply, we don't have the short contracts that rebuilding teams are looking for. we do have young players that other teams may like, but they're not good enough to offset the bad contracts they'll have to be paired with.

actually, some people will argue that the golden state trade made us worse in the long term too, since it reduced our nearly non-existent financial flexibility to zero.

we're getting close to the point where we need a trade, not to improve the team, but to improve the bottomline. otherwise better expect more brad miller situations, where tptb just hold up their hands helplessly and say "how could we have expected david or danny or ike or shawne to have gotten such a big offer?"

truth is, in the luxury tax era, salary management is nearly as important a gm skill as talent evaluation. joe dumars is a master at this. like other gms, he's signed his share of duds, but somehow he has always found a way to move them (see nazr trade to charlotte)
    Good post. Depressingly realistic, but good.

It's not like 6 months before the Brad thing we were all sitting around saying "this team is in trouble and I expect a huge flop when it comes time to deal with Brad". Maybe you saw a building issue, but few people were expecting it to go the way it eventually did. These problems with the cap tend to sneak up on fans. I just wish they wouldn't appear to be sneaking up on TPTB lately.

Of course then again maybe I'm overlooking some brilliant exit strategy they have lined up. God I hope so. Miracle trade FTW

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    Huh? Oh right, the Pacers did lose their last game.
    We have needed a rebuild after every single game, win or loss, since Artest and Reggie Miller left the team with their immense talent.

I am all for it, we need a damn player who can consistantly play good, who can average at least 20 ppg, with other words... a good player.

I give up, i dont care who we trade... i want THAT player. I am thinking of a Shooting Guard or Point Guard....

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Good post. Depressingly realistic, but good.

It's not like 6 months before the Brad thing we were all sitting around saying "this team is in trouble and I expect a huge flop when it comes time to deal with Brad". Maybe you saw a building issue, but few people were expecting it to go the way it eventually did. These problems with the cap tend to sneak up on fans. I just wish they wouldn't appear to be sneaking up on TPTB lately.

Of course then again maybe I'm overlooking some brilliant exit strategy they have lined up. God I hope so. Miracle trade FTW
    IMO, the Simons should begin shopping for new management.

In any event, if we are not working hard right now to make a move, it will be a fire sale a year from now. The Brad Miller analogy is a good one.

Some of our young players like Granger and Williams are going to be good solid pro's. They will get decent offers on the market. Ike and Harrison have a chance as well. But some seem to think these relatively low draft picks should be playing like vets or lotto picks. Even with years of development, this squad has no chance to compete for a championship. The talent is simply not that good.

Banned

We definitely need a trade. We're mediocre. You can't be content with mediocrity. With Mike's play this season he actually has good trade value, it might be time to move him for a defender. Ike could also go, as much as I hate to say it we simply have more pressing needs at the moment. I wouldn't even object to moving Granger for a young talented guard. Someone like Randy Foye or Barbosa.
    Last edited by Kofi; 12-28-2007 at 10:25 PM.

Seth, actually I was just making a joke (which now that I think about it reference a thread by Shade before your time here on PD). Shade had once said that the 2003-2004 team had quit if I recall correctly (or maybe it was 2005?).

Trade JO...it's obvious with the game he played tonight scoring only 25 pts and such that he is not what he once was. We need to trade him for Mikki moore so we can clear cap room.
    "GIMMIE DAT!"-DANGER

basically what the pacers need to do is trade granger to miami at season's end for daequan cook and their lottery pick this year...