Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vescey: Isiah was going to bring Reggie off the bench this season

Default Vescey: Isiah was going to bring Reggie off the bench this season

Isiah was going to bring Reggie off the bench this season.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/22083.htm
    ASSIGNING PLAYOFF BLAME

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 1, 2004 -- IN back-to-back games, Larry Brown and Rick Carlisle took turns kneeling at the interview altar. They couldn't wait to confess their sins. It was their fault their teams were unprepared. They were to blame, not the players, for not understanding what had to be done and what to expect. "We accept full responsibility for our team's losses," they echoed.

It doesn't get any more nauseating.

Assigning guilt trips is our job. We in the media are in charge of levying liability, not coaches conspiring to churn out misinformation. We're more than capable of deciding who's accountable. It's insulting to think they think they can work us like we're referees.

Then again, Carlisle is correct. He definitely has earned a demerit badge in this series, especially in Game 5. Matching your team's oldest and leakiest defender against your opponent's fastest flowing faucet is a bit baffling. Not making a switch until the 61/2 minute mark of Sunday's third quarter, after Rip Hamilton had amassed the majority of 27 points at Reggie Miller's expense, was resourcefully negligent.

At the most, this approach should be employed sparingly since the Pacers are blessed with Ron Artest, the league's lock-up artist and the aerodynamically acclaimed Fred Jones. It should be used explicitly, it says here, when the 38-year-old Indiana Bones is looking more like Indiana Osteoporosis. Apparently Carlisle isn't paying attention.

One of the most bald-faced lies perpetrated by the propaganda machines at ABC, TNT and ESPN is that Miller should be commended for deferring to Jermaine O'Neal, Artest and Co, and that the NBA's all-time offshore driller and one of its most poisonous pressure players deserves a gold star for accepting a lesser role the last couple years.

What a crock! Miller embraced a diminished function, fewer shots and half the payday simply because he can't manufacture points in bunches on a remotely consistent basis (only an occasional game-winner) as he once could.

Not only that, he's frequently not even looking for his shot. Worse yet, he's passing up wide-open 3-pointers in must-shoot situations, resulting in forever-botched opportunities to gain ground. Worst of all, the referees have turned on him, an instantly recognizable sign a consecrated career is crashing.

Nearing the half in Game 5, Miller lofted up one of his patented kick-out springers from the corner in an attempt to fake the official into putting him on the welfare line. What he got was an offensive foul.

Considering the game's significance and the fact the Pacers were trailing at the time the 17-year veteran of domestic and international competition should've been cagey enough to restrain his emotions. Instead he picked up a technical. Shortly thereafter O'Neal also lost his composure, getting T-ed up over a non-call by Steve Javie.

The Pacers quickly followed their leaders down the drain.

Miller failed to pinpoint the roots of the unraveling, noting a lack of ball movement and individualistic urges as the cause for Indy's decline. The fast fading luminary, who scored all five of his points in the first quarter, took no responsibility for leading his team astray or failing to do anything to re-direct its course.

Naturally, no one dared ask Miller or Carlisle why Reggie was guarding Hamilton at all or so long, and why he was even out there if he refused to shoot unmolested 3-pointers.

If anything, in an often-heartless business, the Simon brothers, CEO Donnie Walsh and president Larry Bird have rewarded Miller, even to the team's detriment, with unusual loyalty and gift giving. Don't forget, they choose to pay Reggie an average of $5.5 million over three seasons rather than invest in Brad Miller over seven seasons; think the Pacers could've used his perimeter and passing repertoire against Detroit?

If anything, Isiah Thomas (planning to bring Reggie off the bench this season had he stayed) and now Carlisle (playing him more in the playoffs than the regular season) deferred to Miller as opposed to the other way around.

Reality bites, hard.

Can't think of a more appropriate time to hear Michael Jordan's reason for trading Richard Hamilton for Jerry Stackhouse not long after he'd volunteered to caving under the playoff pressure of having to be the Pistons' go-to guy.

Default Re: Vescey: Isiah was going to bring Reggie off the bench this season

Reggie sucked a lot worse last year against Boston, but had the excuse of being injured.

Isiah didn't bench him then, so I have a hard time believing he would have done it this year.

Otherwise, Vecsey makes some painfully accurate points.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

sweabs

So would Isaih have started Freddie or Bendy?

I would guess Ronnie, and Al at small forward, although now I think about it, not sure what Isiah would have done with Foster.

No way Freddie was ready to start, and Bender was injured.

sweabs

I would guess Ronnie, and Al at small forward
    Oh yeah...I don't know if I could stand seeing Ronnie at SG again .

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Actually Reg should have retired last year. How long are we going to wait until we find a replacement? There will never be another REGGIE but Kareem Rush sure looked good last night. If Fred could hit a consistent jumper we may be in good shape.

2006 WORLD CHAMPION INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think Vescey's just a flat-out LIAR, and I'm sick of his Isiah lovefest.
    "I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right."

Kareem Rush? He's a 35% 3PT shooter and thats with Shaq and Kobe drawing doubles and not having any defensive responsibilities or the fatigue of actually playing most of the game. How about Scalabrini he had that one game where he scored 17 and shot 3 for 3 from behind the arc in the third over time. I'm sure he can repeat that performance ...

Kareem Rush only looks good because he is open. Unless he is open, he can't create his own shot. And that is where he pales in comparison to Jones. And Rush is only open because of the 2 morons on that team.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

I like Freddie more than Rush

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

I like Rush more than Freddie.

( )
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

( )

LAPacer

I thought Isiah was quoted saying that Reggie would start as long as he was coaching the team.

btw, I like Freddie more than Rush. No comparison.

( )
    You DARE say that?

Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Doesn't smell right.

Remember last season when Reggie was injured? There were discussions about whether he should come off the bench when he got back and Isiah made comments to the effect that Reggie would be a starter as long as he was a Pacer.

Either Vescey's making it up or Isiah's come up with a new story to feed him. Probably the second choice.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

( )
    You DARE say that?

Oh, I know there's more substance to Fred's game. But the one thing Rush should be able to do well is something we desparately need.

Besides, I was just playing contrarian. Now, if somebody could combine the two guys into one player... :P

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

I just lost what little respect I had left for Vescey. I love when the mediots put out articles like this when a team is down. Where was this article after game 1? I bet he has had this article on the shelf for quite some time and has had to wait to bring it out because Reggie had been performing fairly well. Obviously not as good as when he was younger (neither has Malone or Payton), but he definitely has been a factor.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Now, if somebody could combine the two guys into one player... :P
    If somebody could do that, we would've combined Mark Jackson and Travis Best years ago....... :P
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Mood

This was too conveniently timed for me to believe it.

Isiah probably claims that he never let tornadoes strike Indy when he was coaching.

note on avatar: I'm trying to bring back some championship karma with Big Mac.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Isiah probably claims that he never let tornadoes strike Indy when he was coaching.

Kareem Rush only looks good because he is open. Unless he is open, he can't create his own shot. And that is where he pales in comparison to Jones. And Rush is only open because of the 2 morons on that team.
    Also see: Fisher, Derrick and Horry, Robert
    "I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right."

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yes, and Phil Jackson had a secret plan to bring in GP and Malone for their rings too.

I NEVER LIKED EDDIE RUSH!
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

PacerStud

September 20th, 2002. ed:

Also see: Fisher, Derek and Horry, Robert
    Indeed.