Thread: Useful Info for Fans with Kids

Default Useful Info for Fans with Kids

I didn't see anything posted about this recently so I thought I would bring this up. Hope it doesn't sound like an advertisement.

For those of you that have kids that you routinely bring to the game, or even if you just bring them along every so often, you might want to consider enrolling them in the Pacers Kid's Club. This is something that the Pacers just started this year, and I highly recommend it. The cost is not prohibitive at all ($12, I think), and I have both of my kids enrolled. They initially got a package with a bunch of team-related items inside, and each received vouchers to get a free ticket to two games (they were decent $25 tickets, and one of the games we opted to go to was a Cavs game on Nov. 25). At each of the designated Kids Club games, there was a special function for the members. The first one we went to was a photo shoot with two players that were to be announced, but ended up being Diogu and Diener. We also went to the Dec. 22 game, and for this one, the Kids Club members were invited to a special pre-game party with Boomer, Bowser, a couple of Pacemates, and Santa. The Pacers really did this up nice (my kids, 6 and 12, really enjoyed it), and I have nothing but praise for those involved in organizing this function, and the Kid's Club overall. There are other perks for members, and there are still opportunities for kids to attend games that have "meet and greet" sessions with Pacers players.

The Pacers are smart, since the Kids Club, if done right, can lead to interest in the game and can also lead to retaining lifetime fans. It's a good idea to get fans while they are young and this is a good way to do it, but again, this effort is being done right, without any direct inkling of ulterior motives. Kudos to them for doing this!

Again, sorry if this sounds like an add. Just wanted to get the word out about something that may not have received much press in the pages of PD. Here's my disclaimer: I am not a Pacers Sports and Entertainment employee!

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Default Re: Useful Info for Fans with Kids

I don't have kids, but I recall as a kid being impressed when some Pacers came to speak to us at the YMCA league (Keller I think was one of them). You're right, great move by the Pacers and nows the time to do it when tickets aren't at a premium. What's it to PS&E if the seat isn't getting sold anyway, get some kids in and get them interested. Not only will they be future ticket buyers, but they can't nag mom and dad to take them to games if they don't know or care about it.

Next step - sign Pokeman and Elmo to 10 day contracts.

joeyd.,
    I have alot of nieces and nephews, does this seem to be something that I can buy a couple of and spread it out at different times for different kids? Or do they send things personalized or fitting for a certain age group? How do the vouchers work, do you use them when you buy a regular ticket to make sure the seats are together or do they send 2 tickets per package for 1 adult and 1 child?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Irk Woodsman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    joeyd.,
    I have alot of nieces and nephews, does this seem to be something that I can buy a couple of and spread it out at different times for different kids? Or do they send things personalized or fitting for a certain age group? How do the vouchers work, do you use them when you buy a regular ticket to make sure the seats are together or do they send 2 tickets per package for 1 adult and 1 child?
    Thanks
    Irk,

Basically, you sign up the specific kids. Then each kid gets a personalized membership card that they are supposed to bring to each game at which there is either a pre- or post-game event. You also get a form that has a list of games to choose from; you indicate which games you want the two free tickets for, one per kid per game. If you have more than 2 kids going like we did, we just sent a note with both the applications in the same envelope. I then followed up to make sure that we were in good shape, but it probably wasn't necessary. You also have the option to buy some discounted tickets for adults and can indicate this on the same form, so you can sit next to the kids. Be aware however, that there are only two more meet and greets with the players. I think they are on Jan. 2 or 4, and then on Feb. 2 or 4 (can't remember off the top of my head). I think they still have a link to the Kid's Club on the Pacers web site, so I'd recommend you give it a look, probably sooner rather than later if you are interested. Again, it's a pretty good deal and our kids love it.

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

I remember one of the coolest things pacers related as a kid was getting a free mini-basketball for the first X amount of kids through the doors at MSA. I was probably 6 or 7 got to go down around the court we were playing the Charlotte Hornets. Was wearing a much much too large t-shirt that said "Smits happens" and yelled at Rik after he got done stretching if he would autograph my basketball he smiled probably felt sorry for me for how ridiculous I looked in that gigantic t-shirt and signed the little mini-ball I got at the door. I still have that ball . Then my sister who like Larry Johnson (before he was evil) got his USA basketball team card autographed. Also was icing on the cake that we won that game .

I aslo remember another game I went to at MSA where we were facing the 6'ers and Dale Davis punched Shawn Bradely in the face. It stuck with me cause at the time he was the tallest guy in the NBA at 7'6'' and Dale nowhere near that big wasn't the least bit afraid of the guy. Of course it was much later that I think myself and the nba realized that muscle and bulk was much better than height, and also people racked up highlight reels posterizing the big guy.