Thread: Passion for NBA basketball much greater in Detroit than in Indy?

Default Passion for NBA basketball much greater in Detroit than in Indy?

Read what this writer from Detroit says and let me know if you agree.

http://www.detnews.com/2004/pistons/...ons-169344.htm

Q: Were those Pistons fans we heard cheering in the background?

A: More than 200 Pistons fans claimed the nearby Hard Rock Cafe as their home base until game time and then marched in unison to Conseco
    Field House.

About 500 filled the upper rafters and sometimes out chanted Pacers fans. They jeered Pacer fans and screamed "Deetroit Basketballlll" mocking the call of the public address announcer. They wore Ben Wallace afro wigs, Pistons warm-ups and jerseys of their favorite players.

Most drove, taking advantage of a long holiday weekend and the fact most of Indianapolis was focused on the Indianapolis 500.

They infiltrated the arena because the passion for professional basketball is much greater in Detroit than Indianapolis. They forced Pacers fans to chant their team's name in attempts to drown out Pistons fans.

Mood

Default Re: Passion for NBA basketball much greater in Detroit than in Indy?

Right now, it seems that way. Call it bandwagoning, call it simple reality, but it seems that way at this moment.

Before I even opened this thread I said Yes.

But that is just what the media and you guys have drilled into my head. I am only composed of S and R chains like those Laker Fans

I know it shouldn't, the race is a great event for the city, but it does make me mad

"the fact most of Indianapolis was focused on the Indianapolis 500"

It does seem that passion to buy tickets after game 2 was much greater for Pistons fans than Pacers fans.....
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Are we talking about the fans that were booing their team and leaving with a quarter left in the game? Sheesh.

No, Detroit isn't more into hoops than Indy. They DO, however, believe more in their team. Three straight ECFs will do that for you... it did for us in the 90s. Indy WANTS to believe, but they keep being let down.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

it didn't use to be this way. back in the days of msa- pacer fans were very loud and supportive. i must admit that since we got to conseco, we have seen a different crowd. perhaps we got a little spoiled with so many strong runs in the playoffs. during the regular season it didn't look like attendance was bad but it did seem like the place was like a crypt considering how quiet and lethargic most of the crowd was. it used to be that we had some of the loudest and most enthusiastic people around but now, it seems we have a rather apathetic crowd. on the occasion that i can afford a ticket, i will stand during tense moments and not be quiet. oh well, perhaps that will change and we will see the energy return. i hope.

PistonsDynasty

Are we talking about the fans that were booing their team and leaving with a quarter left in the game? Sheesh.

No, Detroit isn't more into hoops than Indy. They DO, however, believe more in their team. Three straight ECFs will do that for you... it did for us in the 90s. Indy WANTS to believe, but they keep being let down.
    They should have been booed. They played un-Piston-like basketball and the fans let them know. Pistons-basketball don't give up lay-up after the lay-up, they don't dog it out on the court. Those guys were strangers. I didn't knows those guys out on the court so they got booed!!

If they would of lost a well contested game that would of been different.

After the Pistons fell 2-3 to New Jersey in triple ot Piston fans still cheered them after the game. Why? Because they played DeeeeeeeeeeeeeTROIT Basssssketbaaaaaaaaaallll.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

They should have been booed. They played un-Piston-like basketball and the fans let them know. Pistons-basketball don't give up lay-up after the lay-up, they don't dog it out on the court. Those guys were strangers. I didn't knows those guys out on the court so they got booed!!

If they would of lost a well contested game that would of been different.

After the Pistons fell 2-3 to New Jersey in triple ot Piston fans still cheered them after the game. Why? Because they played DeeeeeeeeeeeeeTROIT Basssssketbaaaaaaaaaallll.
    y my, mason really has started a trend with that line, hasnt he?

It annoys other fans to no end, so in retrospect I love it.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

They should have been booed. They played un-Piston-like basketball and the fans let them know. Pistons-basketball don't give up lay-up after the lay-up, they don't dog it out on the court. Those guys were strangers.
    Not getting your point. All of those things were true of the Pacers last game. So if the Pistons fans don't cheer, it's because they're hardcore basketball enthusiasts who respect the game, while if Pacers fans don't cheer it's because they have no passion?

Is that the point you're trying to make? If not, please clarify. Because that sounds stupid as crap.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I think there are 3 things going on, which all contribute to the quiet crowds.

1. Tickets are far more expensive, so less rowdy blue-collar people come to games, and I would almost say that people don't feel right cussing and screaming in such a nice building. The Pit that was MSA was like a dungeon, you wanted to scream, and you wanted to stand due to the hard seats.

2. This city has a problem with rooting for favorites. Across the city, in our own town, we prefer to root for the up-and-comers, the underdogs. This Pacers team went from great to decent to great. There was no progression as there was in the 80s-90s.

3. This city likes good, clean basketball. They appreciate fundamentals. They love the long ball. This team plays a very rough, gritty, ugly brand of basketball, and it doesn't resonate with people of this city. We also love fast paced basketball, which this team doesn't do. There's a reason this city loves Reggie, and it's not all to do with him being here so long and being so good. There's a reason the fans love Austin Croshere, and it isn't because he's white. Pacers fans like good shooting, and a solid, all around game. We also do better when we've got a hated rival, like the knicks, or in the Colts case, the Patriots.

Notice that the city now has a ton of Colts fans? It's because they've stunk so long, and started getting better, and are now very good. They also play a very fun style of game, with a lot of offense. Meanwhile, the Pacers play a very boring style. Not a lot of 3s, not a high percentage on offense, no fast breaks, and not a ton of blocks on the defensive end. It's effective, and it's ugly.

Also, it doesn't help that most of the city is still clinging to the former greatness of a 39 year old man that is a good deal beyond his prime. You'll notice that ever fan still comes out of their seat when Reggie shoots a 3. Same goes for Croshere, to a lesser extent. Yet when JO hits 2 in a row, making dazzling moves on good defenders, he gets some applause, but not riotous cheering.

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've been unhappily surprised by the lack of attention the Indy media has given the Pacers. I despise I turn on the news to find little to no mention of the Pacers. Hell, it seems the local channels talk more about the team after losses.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Obnoxiousmodestty...I've been suprised by the amopunt of coverage the Star HAS been giving.. THere are currently 4 writers covering the P's. Normally it's 1 maybe 2. This while the race is going on..

As for the fans...Detroit has 4-5 x the population Indy has to draw from...with HUGE amounts of wealth from the many industrial execs. So I'm not suprised by a couple hundred coming down for the game. MArching across as a group? Did they come down as a charter? ALso, safety in numbers? WERE THEY HERE FOR THE RACE PRIMARILY AND CAME TO THE GAME TOO??? (anyway thanks for spending some of that Michigan money here)

I get tired of these attendance/enthusiasm rants that go up every 3-4 weeks. But something occured to me over the week-end regarding our lack of total buy-in with the team now. How many of these guys make their off-season home here? The ABA Pacers were wildy popular not only because we were winning but because they lived here.

Neto lived here and owned a bar where you could see him and other players on occasion.
    Mel Daniels wife Cici worked at Lilly's.
    I talked with Roger, Mel, Rick Mount, and Freddie at Indiana Central several times. Hell even Mike Storen the GM was accessable.
    etc etc etc.
    They were LOCAL...they became hometown boys and we loved em. Do you really believe any of these players have adopted Indinapolis as home?
    Again...where do these Pacers live in the off-season????
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

I don't buy the "we are too poor to buy tickets" garbage. San Antonio compares very well to Indy and they don't have problems selling out playoff games down here. Heck, people were upset that they wouldn't be able to stand in line to get tickets. Maybe it is because the Spurs are the only team in town. But with only 18,300 tickets to sell, you would think that wouldn't be a big factor.

Those 500 fans did have to buy their tickets for brokers I hope. If not, then maybe there is a problem.

more Pusston fans are gonna be booing tonight too :P

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

I think there are 3 things going on, which all contribute to the quiet crowds.

1. Tickets are far more expensive, so less rowdy blue-collar people come to games, and I would almost say that people don't feel right cussing and screaming in such a nice building. The Pit that was MSA was like a dungeon, you wanted to scream, and you wanted to stand due to the hard seats.

2. This city has a problem with rooting for favorites. Across the city, in our own town, we prefer to root for the up-and-comers, the underdogs. This Pacers team went from great to decent to great. There was no progression as there was in the 80s-90s.

3. This city likes good, clean basketball. They appreciate fundamentals. They love the long ball. This team plays a very rough, gritty, ugly brand of basketball, and it doesn't resonate with people of this city. We also love fast paced basketball, which this team doesn't do. There's a reason this city loves Reggie, and it's not all to do with him being here so long and being so good. There's a reason the fans love Austin Croshere, and it isn't because he's white. Pacers fans like good shooting, and a solid, all around game. We also do better when we've got a hated rival, like the knicks, or in the Colts case, the Patriots.

Notice that the city now has a ton of Colts fans? It's because they've stunk so long, and started getting better, and are now very good. They also play a very fun style of game, with a lot of offense. Meanwhile, the Pacers play a very boring style. Not a lot of 3s, not a high percentage on offense, no fast breaks, and not a ton of blocks on the defensive end. It's effective, and it's ugly.

Also, it doesn't help that most of the city is still clinging to the former greatness of a 39 year old man that is a good deal beyond his prime. You'll notice that ever fan still comes out of their seat when Reggie shoots a 3. Same goes for Croshere, to a lesser extent. Yet when JO hits 2 in a row, making dazzling moves on good defenders, he gets some applause, but not riotous cheering.
    I agree that these are all important variables to consider.

For many reasons, the fans are not fully ready to embrace JO as the team's leader. And I still believe Ron is more popular in the internet forums than he is with the "fans in the stands."

Another variable is that the fact that, in game #5 in particular, the Pistons controlled the tempo and there was no momentum for the fans to ride. Trust me, I tried. Many times.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Shows what Pistons fans know. Hard Rock sucks.

:P
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!