Thread: A Few Random Thoughts from My First Game of the Year

Default A Few Random Thoughts from My First Game of the Year

I made my first trip to Conseco this year last night for the Wizards game. A few things I noticed:

1. I still had the TSA treatment coming into the facility. Being treated like a criminal by businesses I am paying good money to patronize is a huge turnoff.

2. Wow - the crowd was thin. I'm guessing only 50% occupancy. I hate to say it, but if it gets much worse they are going to have to bring back the curtain. The team is above 500 and playing tracking to the playoffs. While I can understand that the team's style of play is lacking in characteristics Hoosiers normally appreciate, there's no reason for this other than that the team has really alienated its fan base. I think it goes to show that there is a still a ways to go to reconnect.

3. The Pacemates are as good looking as I've seen them in a while. I think we can now say that we've got legitimately good looking cheerleaders.

4. The constant exhortations to "stand up" by the announcer is patronizing and disgraceful. It's also pathetic. If the team can't motivate people to stand and cheer, we shouldn't have to be told to do so by the announcer.

5. Conseco is still the best place to see a basketball game I've ever been.

6. This team is a lot better than I expected, but still it can be painful to watch an NBA game these days. Call me crazy but I do sort of miss the old 125-123 final scores.

Too bad I didn't sign up for League Pass this year. With the Pacers effectively untelevised, it's been hard to follow the team. So it was good to get to see them in person.

Default Re: A Few Random Thoughts from My First Game of the Year

fans of the pacers are such homers...if this team was winning 50-60 games and competing for a title they would all be there. Maybe they still want reggie miller to be there?
    Tinsleys having an all star season...Ike is coming along well and granger is poised for a breakout year if he hasn't already done it...if that doesn't get you excited about pretty much one of two things to be excited about in indy...then i don't know what will.
    "GIMMIE DAT!"-DANGER

It will get better after the NFL season if the team keeps winning. How much better, who knows. But the Colts' success is probably keeping at least a few people from coming back to the Pacers.

That said, it's probably going to take consistent success (i.e. a playoff run), a somewhat consistent roster and a lack of off-court drama, at least for another year, before the fans really start coming back. Hopefully PS&E has the patience for it...

Quote Originally Posted by arenn View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I made my first trip to Conseco this year last night for the Wizards game. A few things I noticed:

1. I still had the TSA treatment coming into the facility. Being treated like a criminal by businesses I am paying good money to patronize is a huge turnoff.

6. This team is a lot better than I expected, but still it can be painful to watch an NBA game these days. Call me crazy but I do sort of miss the old 125-123 final scores.

Too bad I didn't sign up for League Pass this year. With the Pacers effectively untelevised, it's been hard to follow the team. So it was good to get to see them in person.

1. This isn't going to change in the US, too many idiots.

6. The Pacers are averaging 104.5 pts a game.

Previous 4 games:

Sat, Dec 15 at Miami W 106-103
    Mon, Dec 17 at New York W 119-92
    Wed, Dec 19Philadelphia W 102-85
    Fri, Dec 21 at Minnesota L 118-131

I believe 72 of the 82 games are broadcasted on FSN.. if you have cable or satellite the games are available to you regularly.

2. While I can understand that the team's style of play is lacking in characteristics Hoosiers normally appreciate, there's no reason for this other than that the team has really alienated its fan base. I think it goes to show that there is a still a ways to go to reconnect.
    I think this years team looks more like "Indiana Basketball" than in the previous 3-4 years. Lots of passing and all around team play.

I realize this is the first game you have seen in person this season. But is it the first game you have seen period. The reason I ask that is you seem to want more scoring. The pacers are the leading scoring team in the eastern conference. In fact just the night before the pacers scored 115 points and yet lost the game. The game you saw in person was more of the aberration as both teams seemed to be more interested in thinking about a few days off for Christmas than in putting a lot of energy into the game.

I gues in more general terms I object to the notion that scoring a lot of points makes the game more exciting. Back in the era of 125-123 - the defense being played was horrible.

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

On the fan base -- I remember years ago in western INdiana, there was little awareness or appreciation of the state's NBA team. Three things were turning points: Reggie's popularity and winning personality, making the play-offs finally, and drafting Damon Bailey.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Geez, small world. Two other members from SSC post on the Digest.

By the way, I did enjoy the game quite a bit. I really did think the players were playing unselfish ball and the style is much better than previous years. Hopefully the crowds will come back after the Colts, though winning games never hurts. If they do come back, it will be harder to just buy good tix whenever you feel like going though. But that's a problem I'll be glad to have.