Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Official "I Am Legend" discussion thread (SPOILERS GALORE, YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!)

Default Re: Official "I Am Legend" discussion thread (SPOILERS GALORE, YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!)

Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    the movie was a far cry from the book and also from "the Omega Man", which was about a hundred times better.

Sorry WS is no CH
    I'm sure the book, as the original work, has it's own fans who probably thought all three movies didn't live up to the original story...I will undoubtedly read the book, and I look forward to it. I don't know that I will make many comparisons to the book and any of the three movies, as only the first movie followed the book plot fairly consistently from what I have read.

Sorry able, but Charlton Heston was great for his time, but pales in comparison to actors of our current generation. I feel like there are literally DOZENS of actors and actresses whose skills far surpass most of the heralded actors of generations past. Not sure if it is just that scripts and the technology of movie making are so much better now, or what, but there aren't many actors (term used for both male and female thespians these days) from yesteryear who impress me.

I thought that The Omega Man, while probably pretty good by 1971 standards, was about as cheesy as it could be. The acting was dismal by most of the actors, and I didn't like the blaxploitation feel of it either. I thought it was probably groundbreaking of Heston to have a black female romantic lead, but it was done poorly. I thought the leader of 'the family' was a better actor than Heston in that movie.

So much less was expected of movies back then, and the movie-going public was a lot easier to convince back then. I'm not saying there weren't quality movies made, but The Omega Man was nowhere near the cream of the crop of it's own year, let alone decade or generation. It wasn't even close to being as good a movie as I Am Legend in any facet of criticism. The plot was better, the character development was better (although I agree with others that Will Smith's character deserved more explanation), the visuals were far more stunning, and the 'believability' was far greater in IAL than in TOM. The 'believability' can be taken as a moot point because most movies, after all, are works of fiction, or at least fantasized a bit for better selling value, but I use the term to mean something a bit more telling. Does the story make sense? Do the characters behave as a real-life person would? Those kinds of questions that can be answered in the affirmative help make a movie better because they help avoid plot holes.

Things that were just pointed out, like the flags flying were in pristine condition (something I hadn't noted before) or that the roads in Vermont looked like they had been maintained, while the roads in NYC were overgrown with vegetation....those are plot holes which suggest laziness or a lack of attention to detail, not poor script writing. Movies of yesteryear were absolutely HORRIBLE at these kinds of things. All that leads back to my feeling that so much more is expected of movies nowadays, and so much more is delivered to the screen in terms of effort and attention to detail.

Will Smith is ten times the actor Charlton Heston ever was, in my opinion. Anyone who can do drama, comedy, action, romantic comedy, etc. and be believable at all of them is a very talented, well-rounded actor. Will Smith is easily that. Charlton Heston is not. Heston was very popular and well thought of for his generation, but again, so much less was expected, it was far easier to be a star and a stud then than it is now. FAR easier.

RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Official "I Am Legend" discussion thread (SPOILERS GALORE, YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!)

Heywoode, I didn't mean to sound like I was bashing the movie but pointing out those errors. I am a total geek when it comes to such things and I was scanning for them throughout the whole film.

I am going to pick up the book at the airport to read on my flight back to DC on Saturday.
    Already stoked for 2013-2014.

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    Heywoode, I didn't mean to sound like I was bashing the movie but pointing out those errors. I am a total geek when it comes to such things and I was scanning for them throughout the whole film.

I am going to pick up the book at the airport to read on my flight back to DC on Saturday.
    Hey, don't worry about it man! That is the kind of stuff I like discussing....both of those things I didn't notice and am glad you pointed out. As I just posted, I don't think those kinds of details are in the script/screenplay, just things that reflect a lack of attention to detail. They did pretty good in this movie, but no movie is perfect.

I thought that some of the way the cars were arranged/abandoned looked like they were parked there to look like chaos, but weren't really parked to represent anything in particular....There were cars parked in front of a police barricade and they were facing away from the barricades...weird stuff like that....

I don't want anybody to think that they will make me mad or can't post things that are not absolutely a$$-kissing the movie. I don't think it is perfect nor do I think it was the best movie of the year. I simply think it was a very good movie that left enough to the imagination to stimulate conversation. I would rather have had another half hour of movie that let them expound on some of the main themes and offered some more insight into Neville and how he came to survive the first three years, and other things along those lines....

I just have a problem with people complaining that it was bad for reasons that don't make sense to me or people thinking the movie was bad because they didn't understand certain things about it...I kind of got on one user in particular in the movie thread last week because I didn't agree with his reasons for not liking the movie. I have friends who saw it and didn't like it because they don't care for that kind of movie. I'm fine with that and would never criticize someone for not having the same taste I do in movies. Even movies that I don't like, some of them I can recognize as good movies that are well written/acted/directed, even though they aren't my particular cup of tea.

There is a big difference in not liking a movie because you didn't care for it and not liking a movie because you don't understand a movie....

Oh, and have a nice flight. I hope the airport isn't too big of a P.I.T.A. and that you can find the book to read...If you do, and you get it read, I would like to hear your thoughts on it!

I know what you mean about Neville surviving the first three years. More information about that would have been really, really interesting.

The first time I saw a preview for it the preview lead me to believe that everyone died overnight...like they showed the evacuation scene (which happened at night) and then they showed NYC empty (which was during the day) which led me to believe that. Of course this was only a preview and such detailed information isn't really to be expected.

But we know now from some details that Manhattan had to die a very, very slow death overall. If this had been shown in detail it probably would have been the most brutal part of the movie.

One question, when the guy is creamed by Will Smith (or Neville, whatever) when he is driving his wife and kid to the evacaution scene, is that guy supposed to be a Darkseeker or what? I sort of got that impression but I'm not entirely sure if he was trying to get some flesh or if he was saying "help" to them...

I have thought about this movie a lot since I have seen it. For some reason I am felt/feel very emotionally attached to the characters...no movie has done that in awhile.

Another question I had is how did Anna drive into Manhattan when the bridges were blown up? I dont know the geography of that area at all but wasnt the bridge blowing up supposed to keep people in manhattan and people out of it? Just wondering how she drove there?

I want to watch it again and again. I just keep wanting to watch it. I downloaded I Am Legend audiobook and I am done parts 1 & 2 of 8. So far it is pretty cool. As I am listening to it I am imaging a whole different movie.

Quote Originally Posted by newman8r View Post
    Another question I had is how did Anna drive into Manhattan when the bridges were blown up? I dont know the geography of that area at all but wasnt the bridge blowing up supposed to keep people in manhattan and people out of it? Just wondering how she drove there?

I want to watch it again and again. I just keep wanting to watch it. I downloaded I Am Legend audiobook and I am done parts 1 & 2 of 8. So far it is pretty cool. As I am listening to it I am imaging a whole different movie.

I thought she said that she had come from a Red Cross evac. boat out of Sao Paulo, Brazil and that they started making port stops for supplies and then someone picked up KV on shore and brought it back on the boat and that is when they got out. I assumed that she had somehow made it to America from Brazil, and that means she had a boat. If she had a boat, she could sail right to Manhattan and then take her pick of vehicles.

Of course, that still begs the question of how did she get off the island and have a vehicle? Again, not too hard to find a vehicle and I'm sure by that point she was used to taking whatever she found as the world was deserted. The logistics of all of these questions are taken with a grain of salt, I guess.

I took a screencap of the map he was holding and I've tried to relate that to a real world map of NYC just to get a feel for the location of most of the movie, but I'm having a hard time matching it up. Here is the map:

I've looked for the 'X' intersection of Avenue of the Americas and Broadway, and when I find that, I cannot relate any of the other street names, Hudson Square, or Independence Plaza and figure out where this location is at. Bear in mind that mapping is what I do for a living, so either I'm having a big brain fart, or the map is hypothetical. I will continue to investigate this, but for now, the Pacers are on and my son wants me to help him put decals on his new motorcycle stunt toy he got!

Welp, I was brain farting it...kinda....

I found the real world location of the area on the map from the movie. Here it is:

Also, with the wonders of privacy-invading mapping, here is a streetview shot of the area that is shown across the street to the south from the southeast corner of Hudson Square on his map in the movie. He has it kinda circled with hashes indicating a clockwise motion from the northwest of that area around to the southwest. I thought it interesting that the building he has that circle around (the circle doesn't look like the other circles that are just solid black lines with X's through them as he has searched/cleared them) is a police station....

Also, the screencap below is of his house, with his door being just to the right of the Washington Square Arch....

...and then here is the streetview shot of the real world site.....

Looks like in the real world view, all those townhouses are on the NYU campus. Do you think that since he was a Army virologist with a full lab in his basement, that maybe he was living in NYU housing and doing research for the Army in conjunction with NYU? I found this to be most interesting......

Man, I either have too much time on my hands, or I'm a HUUUGE dork.....or both......

At least I didn't start a thread about counting......

its just a movie

Quote Originally Posted by LouisvilleLip View Post
    its just a movie

Just go away...

See I thought the boat had landed someone else and she said she came from vermont or somewhere and she heard him on the radio. But I just assumed there is someway she got across and I stopped asking questions. Nice mapping by the way cool to see the buildings and I like the privacy invasion too.

Mood

See I thought the boat had landed someone else and she said she came from vermont or somewhere and she heard him on the radio. But I just assumed there is someway she got across and I stopped asking questions. Nice mapping by the way cool to see the buildings and I like the privacy invasion too.
    I thought she was from like Baltimore, and she was traveling to colony and she heard him on the radio....
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

Quote Originally Posted by naturallystoned View Post
    I thought she was from like Baltimore, and she was traveling to colony and she heard him on the radio....
    Now that I watched that part again, she said she was from San Pablo (or maybe still Sao Paulo, I can't make it out 100% with her accent)...San Pablo is just outside San Francisco, so she would've had to cross the entire continental US with all the darkseekers and she didn't look like she had been through that kind of an odyssey...

She did say that they had come from Maryland after hearing him on the radio, and that they were going to Vermont to the survivors colony.

When she said she was on a Red Cross boat (out of either San Pablo or Sao Paulo) she was talking about "...after the Navy fell apart, we started docking to take on supplies....", so that makes me think that it was still somewhere in the US since she mentions the Navy even though she doesn't say specifically the US Navy....I would guess that either she started in San Pablo, CA and escaped and came across the country to Maryland and then to NYC or she came across the Atlantic on a ship from Sao Paulo, Brazil and then landed in Maryland and then came to NYC. Either way, she had been through plenty before she got to Neville. I don't think it would've been too hard for her to acquire the things she needed to move forward with her plan whether it was a boat to get across the river(s) to Manhattan, or multiple vehicles to keep moving from Maryland to NYC to Vermont....

Incidentally, I found a REPACK of the dvd screener of this movie, supposed to have the slight audio sync problem fixed and be slightly better quality video. Getting it now....

The copy I have is perfect no worries on sound or picture. Just a little watermark here and there

I watched up until Neville caught the female infected and than I jumped to the part when Fred is used as the bait for the trap set because one of my friends who had only seen the movie once wanted to see that part again because when we saw it in theatres it looked like Fred was moving and a real person at first and to me it almost still does when you get the first glimpse at him, but of course it is just a mannequin.

We noticed some butterflies in different places like there is one in the God Still Loves Us poster on the tank when he is driving at the start of the movie and there is one when he and Sam are in the corn fields. We were trying to figure out what the one in the corn fields could have meant. The only thing we decided on was that maybe it was to signify their food source and how they are staying alive, because I felt the butterfly in the poster meant that there is still a God and everything would be okay.

I am going to watch it again right now.

I watched up until Neville caught the female infected and than I jumped to the part when Fred is used as the bait for the trap set because one of my friends who had only seen the movie once wanted to see that part again because when we saw it in theatres it looked like Fred was moving and a real person at first and to me it almost still does when you get the first glimpse at him, but of course it is just a mannequin.

We noticed some butterflies in different places like there is one in the God Still Loves Us poster on the tank when he is driving at the start of the movie and there is one when he and Sam are in the corn fields. We were trying to figure out what the one in the corn fields could have meant. The only thing we decided on was that maybe it was to signify their food source and how they are staying alive, because I felt the butterfly in the poster meant that there is still a God and everything would be okay.

I noticed the butterfly on the 'God still loves us' poster on the tank as well. I remember thinking when I first saw the movie and saw the butterfly when they were picking corn that butterflies must be immune also and it got me thinking that birds must have been also. I know that in other movies with apocalyptic viruses, most of the time, when animals feed on the dead bodies of the infected, they become infected also, and I assumed that the dogs in this movie had been infected that way.

I'm not sure what the butterfly was meant to signify in the cornfield, but he and Sam were discussing what he would say to the girl mannequin at the video store...I can only assume that the butterfly was God trying to keep him vigilant and thinking about it when he saw the butterfly on Anna's neck.

Also, another thing that bothered me was that at the end, the survivor colony had a big wall, but it didn't look totally impregnable. I would think that the darkseekers would have been able to coordinate a ladder attack, meaning they would make a human (sort of) ladder....the only thing I can assume is that there were no darkseekers in Vermont because they all pretty much migrated into the cities because that is where the food was, plus there would have been much better places to hide during the day....

so this movie just came out in scotland on boxing day, so I've only seen it recently.

the thing that is bothering me is the death of Sam. I want to know what he injected her with, what your thoughts are on that.

here are mine:

I doubt very much he wanted to see her turn, so personally think he gave her something to kill her rather than the vaccine. I'm conflicted as to whether he then had to kill her himself because it didn't work fast enough and she turned anyway, or if he was just struggling to stop her from biting him until she passed.

I know of no one who would CHOOSE to put themselves in a position where they would have to kill/choke/strangle their best and only friend

He didn't think the vaccine worked at all, so why bother trying? Or if he did give her the vaccine why did he then not give her at least overnight to react, as he had given the rat at least one night to see. I realise he only gave the human moments to decide it didn't work, but still....Sam was not the same size as the human.

Quote Originally Posted by muppetgal View Post
    so this movie just came out in scotland on boxing day, so I've only seen it recently.

the thing that is bothering me is the death of Sam. I want to know what he injected her with, what your thoughts are on that.

here are mine:

I doubt very much he wanted to see her turn, so personally think he gave her something to kill her rather than the vaccine. I'm conflicted as to whether he then had to kill her himself because it didn't work fast enough and she turned anyway, or if he was just struggling to stop her from biting him until she passed.
    I know of no one who would CHOOSE to put themselves in a position where they would have to kill/choke/strangle their best and only friend

He didn't think the vaccine worked at all, so why bother trying? Or if he did give her the vaccine why did he then not give her at least overnight to react, as he had given the rat at least one night to see. I realise he only gave the human moments to decide it didn't work, but still....Sam was not the same size as the human.
    It's probably that simple, a very sad scene but one that makes you appreciate what a great actor the fresh prince is.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

if anyone is too lazy to read or just doesn't like reading, and they would like to know what happens in the book, go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Am_Legend and read the plot section.

The mannequin does actually move it's head. Of course it's not REALLY moving it's head, you're just seeing it from Neville's perspective as he's obviously going a bit loony.

Quote Originally Posted by muppetgal View Post

here are mine:

I skimmed the movie to the part where he gives the female darkseeker the vaccine that he was testing, and then to when he gave Sam something by injection. It appears to me that he gave Sam the vaccine. Both liquids were purple, and when he brought Sam down to the lab, he got whatever he injected her with from the same container/cooler that he got the vaccine from when he gave it to his female darkseeker test subject.

My opinion is that he gave Sam the vaccine, but he was still wacked out from having gone through being snared and attacked and was in a panic. I think had he been thinking clearly, he could've given Sam the vaccine and contained her somehow until the vaccine had a chance to work.

I also give some credence to the theory that he didn't want to see her turn. I'm sure he was emotionally attached enough to her that he wouldn't have necessarily wanted to use her for testing the vaccine. His attachment to her also could be seen as a motivating factor FOR using her, given the situation, and that giving her the vaccine would be the only possible way she would survive, even if the possibility was remote.

Good question and good discussion....

On another note, my 7 year old daughter had a friend spend the night last night (another 7 year old girl) and the friend's grandmother told us that they had taken her to see I Am Legend because "she said she wanted to see it." Of course, they tried to tell her she would be scared, but she insisted (how you let a seven year old INSIST anything is beyond me...) so they took her and then they had to leave after 15-20 minutes because, BIG SURPRISE, she was scared.

The reason for this rant is that it frustrates me to no end when I see parenting (by parents or grandparents or anyone else) this worthless. I'm sure it is not the norm, but we seem to come across SO many children who get to do whatever they want, and seem to dictate to their parents what they are/aren't going to do. Our kids have very few good friends because there just aren't that many quality children out there that we will let them spend time with. Today's revelation about my daughter's friend going to see this movie caught me by surprise, because for the most part, her friend is pretty cool and a pretty nice girl.

Sorry, just had to get that out to someone other than my wife. We have been discussing it since her friend left....If anyone who reads this has something to add about this subject, I would love to hear other opinions, even if it is off-topic for this thread....This thread seems to be nearing the end of it's usefulness anyway!

BTW, I found a very good dvdrip of I Am Legend, and used Ulead movie maker (I think that's what it's called) to convert the AVI to an ISO, and then burned it to dvd. I now get to watch it on the big screen without having to hook up my laptop to the tv....That's good because the connection between the laptop and the tv is problematic and causes minor problems with the picture quality....I'm excited to be able to simply put in a dvd and watch it!

Quote Originally Posted by heywoode View Post
    My opinion is that he gave Sam the vaccine, but he was still wacked out from having gone through being snared and attacked and was in a panic. I think had he been thinking clearly, he could've given Sam the vaccine and contained her somehow until the vaccine had a chance to work.
    Thinking back, didn't he choke the dog to death? Seems like I remember that happening, maybe he tried the vaccine, realized it was useless and then decided to strangle the dog.

Mood

Popping in to say that I bought the book last week and I'm about half way through. VERY different than the movie, and I'm liking it better overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Irk Woodsman View Post
    Thinking back, didn't he choke the dog to death? Seems like I remember that happening, maybe he tried the vaccine, realized it was useless and then decided to strangle the dog.
    He definitely had to choke Sam out and kill her. It was because she started turning and the vaccine had not had a chance to work. This is where I was thinking that he wasn't thinking clearly because he should have known that it wouldn't work quickly if the vaccine worked at all. The human he had given the vaccine only started showing signs of changing back after he lowered it's body temperature with ice and the vaccine had been given a day to work.

He should have given Sam the vaccine and contained her, knowing that she would turn before the vaccine had time to work. I feel like she would've maybe died from her bite wounds before the vaccine worked even if she was contained. Had he been able to stabilize her wounds AND contain her, the vaccine probably would've saved her life.

I think those things weren't meant to be in the script because it was losing Sam that drove him to decide to end it all and that led to meeting (and being saved by) Anna.

I think I need to watch this again so I have something else to rant/talk/whine/post/gripe/opine about, and so this thread doesn't die!

C'mon Newman, you were watching the movie every friggin' day for a week or so there...you got nothing else to say?!