Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A little early, but who do you like in the draft...?

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Default A little early, but who do you like in the draft...?

Just curious to see what people think. I haven't watched much college ball this year but I have been reading on NBAdraft.net and looking at possible selections the pacers might make. Assuming We pick somewhere in the teens, here are a few guys whose profiles caught my eye.

Possible Center of the future: Hasheem Thabeet (mock pick at 14)

-According to his profile he is an above average runner of the floor for his size (7-3) and shows good outlet passing ability.... great defender and shot blocker. Could be a good fit for our offense. Raw offensively.

Possible Point Gaurd of the future: Darren Collison (mock pick at 15)

-lockdown defender with very quick first step. improving outside shot and good midrange game. excellent passing vision. A little small.

Just curious if anyone has watched these guys and could shed a little light. All I have to go on is their NBAdraft.net profiles. Or suggest anyone else you think we could pick in that range.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

1..2..3.. lil old blue sportsmusicxboxpacer's Avatar

Default Re: A little early, but who do you like in the draft...?

kinda little too early i wait after march see who i want
    IF YOU A PACER FAN DONT BASH TO THE PACERS..!!!!!

On another note... I realize we are probably not going to be in a position to draft Eric Gordon. But I would trade just about any players we had for a chance at him on draft day. Say Granger+Ike together for Gordon. Two lottery level talents for one. Probably wouldn't be enough, but by god there has to be a way.

The real reason I want this so badly (besides his obvious talent) is because getting Gordon would really get the fans back in the stands. This has been a huge concern for me and the thought of the pacers moving to another city for a lack of fan support is a scary prospect.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Quote Originally Posted by sportsmusicxboxpacer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    kinda little too early i wait after march see who i want
    i am very impatient.

- ilive4sports

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

I was going to start this thread a few weeks ago when the Pacers were still clearly in the lottery.

Not so much a "who ya like" but a listing of the national TV games for all the top prospects so people could actually peek in at these guys and have some idea of their chances.

Last year at the draft party there were lots of "who is this, is he any good" comments, which are standard among hard-core NBA types like many of us. I won't point the finger at Peck because I'm just as guilty.

I did watch the Mayo vs Rose game and Mayo impressed quite a bit. I guess I should dig out the "when they play" list, but I only did it for the mock lottery guys at the time.

I know Danny and Shawne have been nice additions, but realistically it's going to be tough to push this team farther with a 16-20 pick, if that's where they are headed.

Okay, upcoming games of interest. Saturday has a couple, especially COLLISON (PG, UCLA) playing on CBS. I see a couple of FSN games, but really this is your only chance to see him till Jan 19th probably.

I also have Ohio St's Koufos (C) on CBS SAT. And ESPN features a chance to see 2 top picks against each other when Georgetown plays Memphis (Hibbert, C vs Rose, PG).

Nothing till the 26th on the majors. Not sure how much we get to see stuff on Fox Sports Net, but USC is listed on the FSN on the 26th.

The 29th has Memphis vs Arizona on ESPN2. That's Rose vs Budinger (SG) and Bayless (PG). Also on ESPN2 is Oklahoma and their PF Griffin.

FSN on the 31st, another Mayo/USC game if you can see it.

And for now I'll stop with New Year's day, ESPN has Louisville and their SG/SF Clark.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Derrick Rose over Gordon. Rose could be a Williams/Paul type player. Gordon has immense potential. Wade or Tony Allen? I really think that Rose has been an eye opening freshman.

Within our range I would go for Collins. He could bring that energy off the bench. Maybe a younger Armstrong.

Please no Hasheem Thabeet. He's the next Olowokandi/Saer Sene. When do these incredibly raw, unskilled big men ever work out?

I'd much rather have Koufos from Ohio St. or Hibbert if we're drafting a C.

PG would be the place I would go. I really like Augustin from Texas, Collison from UCLA, and Lawson from NC.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I honestly don't know much about E. Gordon besides the hype surrounding him locally, but my biggest question about him is... Does he really have the goods, or is he going to be one of those sensational players in HS/college but a dreaded tweener at the next level because of his size being too small for a 2G and lack of true/sensational skill at point.

I don't say this as a troll or a Debbie downer, but I really don't know much about him and don't have enough interest to watch him play other college players that will not really give me an idea of how he will be in the NBA.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Well he is the same height as Dwayne Wade, and is a deadly outside shooter (NBA range) with awesome driving ability and speed. Freakish Athletiscism. I have also heard that he is a very strong perimeter defender. sounds NBA caliber...

Of course that is what I have read, haven't actually had a chance to watch him yet this year... but he already moved up from the 9th pick to the 3rd pick in the mock draft on Nbadraft.net

Great character guy also.

I guess his size is the only possible drawback.

- ilive4sports

I haven't watched enough to say, but does he really have the hops/strength that Wade does? Wade gets by on his ability to take hits in the lane and go strong to the rim.

A shooter needs to be able to shoot over NBA caliber defenders.

As I said, in the Rose-Mayo showdown neither lit it up, but Mayo was put on Rose and shut him down for the most part. Rose did not defend him the other way. In that game you could see the difference between great college player and a guy athletically geared toward the NBA. Of course Rose has tons of potential himself, but at this moment Mayo was ahead of him despite his early chucking and bad rep. When he got focused he was pretty intense.

I'm writing off all of those guys right now, it sure seems like the Pacers will draft lower than that. Hibbert and Collison are guys I'm interested in at this point, Augustin is another interesting option.

I love that Hibbert did the extra year in school. He's not a star, but he's got signs of maturity at least. I'd take a Foster caliber (talent and approach, not style) at the 16-20 range in a heartbeat.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 12-21-2007 at 01:00 PM.

I am an IU fan, Gordon is the package. I have not seen a weakness in his game yet. He could easily go #1 overall. Another guy that is a freshman who could should go top ten is Kevin Love UCLA. This guy has no weaknesses for a big PF and he can pass the rock. It will be a strong draft top ten wise. Lots of impact players.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

Maybe for a 2nd-round selection, I like the point guard from Tennessee. He is a supreme 3-shooter, but I've heard he's more of a little shooting guard w/out strong pg skills. So he'd probably be little more than a bench sparkplug, but I like him. I wonder if LBird goes after Hansborough?

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I like Mayo and could see him in the top 3, though some have him at about #10 in mocks (nbadraft.net). He strikes me as a Brandon Roy/Joe Johnson type with a little more PG skills, but a potential matchup nightmare and a great creator.

gordon, beasley,rose...obvious...hibbert, budinger, lee, hendrix, walker, rush, hairston...are the only guys i'd consider drafting if i were the pacers. i'd especially look at guys like courtney lee, brandon rush, malik hairston, and bill walker (if he comes out) if the pacers are outside of the lottery. collison and lawson will not make good pros, so if i'm looking for a pg i'd look at a dominic james or especially a sean singletary...

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybegood View Post
    Maybe for a 2nd-round selection, I like the point guard from Tennessee. He is a supreme 3-shooter, but I've heard he's more of a little shooting guard w/out strong pg skills. So he'd probably be little more than a bench sparkplug, but I like him. I wonder if LBird goes after Hansborough?
    If we draft Hansbrough, I will be pissed. We should draft Tyrese Rice from BC. Just look at the last three guys from Boston College - Sean Williams, Jared Dudley, and Craig Smith - and how well they've done in the pros in their short careers thus far. There's something special in the water in Chestnut Hill...

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    I haven't watched enough to say, but does he really have the hops/strength that Wade does? Wade gets by on his ability to take hits in the lane and go strong to the rim.

A shooter needs to be able to shoot over NBA caliber defenders.
    I watched a lot of Wade during his last year at Marquette and I'd say that Gordon is better right now than Wade was then.

Gordon's shot is 100X better. He is an amazing outside shooter, either spot up or off the dribble.

Phsyically he's a lot stronger than his competition right now. He doesn't take hits so much as give hits. He has very wide shoulders and creates a lot of space.

His ball handling isn't what I would consider spectacular, but it's because he's much more of a power guard than a finesse. He's going beat you by going through you as opposed to giving some slick move to where he just leaves you picking yourself up. It's not an issue, he has no problems handling the ball just don't expect some flash out of it too often.

I would say he definately has the ability to turn into every bit of a better shooting DWade. He's been the best player on the court every game since day 1, hands down.

From what I've seen of Eric Gordon this year, I would give pretty much anything to have him on my NBA team. He has range from 27 feet, can create off the dribble or come off screens, gets to the hole pretty much at will and can finish strong, is a spectacular passer when creating off the dribble, and is capable of playing lock-down perimiter D. I've seen him put Lindsey Hunter-esque full court pressure on opposing guards too.

The one thing that I'm still not sure about is his ball handling ability, especially in the open court. Not saying that it's good or bad, just saying that I haven't had the chance to watch enough games to make an assessment, also given that Bassett usually brings the ball up for IU. I wouldn't bet against EG though, that's for sure.

Gordon's ceiling is Wade with a better jumper. He's farther along than Wade was at the same point in time. To compare the jump shooting ability is not even funny Gordon has legit range from just inside the half court line. Wade probably has dreams of having Gordon's jumper. I'm not even exagerrating here, but Gordon has one of the best strokes the college game has seen in some time off the dribble behind the arc. His behind the back-step back three is money.
    The biggest difference right now (Between Wade and Gordon) is probably decision making as well as the fact that Gordon's handles come and go, but when they are there they are top notch. Also Gordon's D can also come and go which IMO is nothing more than he is a young player who A.) Gets tired from lots of PT and B.) Is still learning what it takes to play D for 40 minutes(which I guess is pretty much the same thing). However when Gordon is applying himself defensively he can lock just about anyone down. Gordon WON'T be a bust. (Says the guy with the IU sig) I know my opinion is probably biased, but I'm not the only one who believes this. I think Donnie Walsh has said that Gordon could start at the two for 18-20 teams in the NBA right now. Which says a lot IMO. He doesn't have the baggage Mayo does either.
    I like Rose a lot also. He's extremely impressive when you actually get to see him play. Although he does seem to disappear at times, but he has shown the ability to step up at big moments. So who really knows what his deal is...The guy can play though.
    My thoughts on Mayo are well documented around PD. I think he is a bad apple and I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole. Four high schools in four years means automatic PASS from me.

I like Augustion A LOT and think that out of all the PGs in this draft that could be had in the 15-20 range he works the best in Obie's system.
    Collison scares me a little bit. Lots of potential and could become a Raymond Felton type player or possibly even a Chris Paul lite or he could be Darrell Armstrong lite for the rest of his career.

EDIT: Seth, Since86 pretty much already covered the strength part of Gordon's game, but I second it 100%. He is incredibly strong particularly in the open court. If he decides he is going to the hole with a head of steam then you have three choices 1.) Get the HELL out the way, 2.) Foul him, or 3.) Get turned into a poster. He is very much like Lebron in the open court. Not quite as big, but the way Lebron just freight trains people, Gordon has that sort of ability to finish a break.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 12-21-2007 at 04:27 PM.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    I honestly don't know much about E. Gordon besides the hype surrounding him locally, but my biggest question about him is... Does he really have the goods, or is he going to be one of those sensational players in HS/college but a dreaded tweener at the next level because of his size being too small for a 2G and lack of true/sensational skill at point.

I don't say this as a troll or a Debbie downer, but I really don't know much about him and don't have enough interest to watch him play other college players that will not really give me an idea of how he will be in the NBA.
    Sounds like Ben Gordon to me. Eric Gordon is NOT Ben Gordon at all. He has Ben's range, but he is much more athletic and there is not even a comparison when it comes to their strength.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 12-21-2007 at 05:21 PM.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

indy...you are completely right about eric gordon, however it would be very foolish of the pacers imo to draft a pg if we do not have a top 10 pick. very rarely do pgs translate consistently to the nba from college and it's next to impossible to find a great one unless you are drafting top 10. if we go pg, you are just as likely to find a good one in the 2nd round as you are mid-late 1st. so why waste a 1st rounder on one?
    Last edited by croz24; 12-21-2007 at 04:44 PM.

Isnt Auguston 5-11 though? In the vast majority of cases, can a 5-11 guy be anything more than a career backup? -though we could use one of those.

- ilive4sports

http://www.nbadraft.net/admincp/prof...vonhardin.html

Reminds me of Dale Davis. Dale was a great rebounder and not much of a scorer.
    Peck might like him.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

I'd trade any combination of two players on the team if we could get in position to draft Eric Gordon. Not just because he's a great player (much higher ceiling than Mayo and Rose IMO) but because it would immediately pack the seats in Conseco .

Gordon is 6-4 weighs 220. He's got plenty of size to play either guard position in the NBA.

Not thinking of Eric Gordon. We get him it means we are not in the playoffs, unless we move up really far which I don't see happening.

In the NBA, you have to take the very best prospect avaliable. The guy who is going to be the best player. So I would not rule out another wing player.

I really like Bryce Taylor. Very well rounded player. Little small but honestly I can care less. 6'4 but a good athlete. I think one thing I really like about him, gives him an edge over other prospects is his feel for the game is very good. You can't teach that. His dad played in the NBA and I think that has helped Bryce.

Kevin Love is anoter guy to keep your eye on. Good skills. What I like about him is his passion. ESPN did a piece on him and how he talks with John Wooden. He wants to learn as much as he can about coach Wooden and the history of UCLA basketball and carry on the tradition. I just love that. What holds Kevin back is his lack of speed especially in the open court. Kevin is only a freshman so I can really see him sticking around at UCLA for a while.

DeVon Hardin seems like a solid prospect. I think he will never be a big time scorer but he is a nice athlete and can really defend. I like his game. I think he has a future as a really good, important role player for good teams.

Nathan Jawai might be a name to keep your eyes on as far as international prospects go. Same with Serge Ibaka.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/...Nathan-Jawai-/

Darrell Arthur is the last guy I will mention. I think if we pick in the 15-20 range, as I expect to, that Darrell is probably the most complete and best all around big man prospect there.

Overall I really like Bryce Taylor the best. Darrell is right there though. I'd love to get either of them.