Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My full report from game #5

PistonsDynasty

Default Re: My full report from game #5

I guess Detroit fans are just diffrent. I'm just shockd that Pacers fans wouldn't rowdy at a vistors playoff arena.

---------

UB, my thoughts go out to you and your family and your mother. I just had an arguement with my mother today and that made me think.
    No I'm not rowdy. I act appropriately - I cheer when necessary but I don't go out of my way to annoy the fans there...as Unclebuck described it, I consider myself a guest in the Palace.
    THAT'S IT!! When I go to another arena I don't consider myself a guest. I'm there for 2 reasons. To support my team and the get into with the hometeams fans. That's part of the fun of being in the "enemys" arena

UB, I am sorry to hear about your mother's situation. I hope for the best for her and your family.

I just want to say thanks to all of you for the kind words. They really do help.

I guess Detroit fans are just diffrent. I'm just shockd that Pacers fans wouldn't rowdy at a vistors playoff arena.

---------

UB, my thoughts go out to you and your family and your mother. I just had an arguement with my mother today and that made me think.
    No I'm not rowdy. I act appropriately - I cheer when necessary but I don't go out of my way to annoy the fans there...as Unclebuck described it, I consider myself a guest in the Palace.
    THAT'S IT!! When I go to another arena I don't consider myself a guest. I'm there for 2 reasons. To support my team and the get into with the hometeams fans. That's part of the fun of being in the "enemys" arena
    I wholeheartedly invite you to come to a football match in the UK and do that, such behaviour is appreciated enormously, leads to serious fights (including dead bodies) and life long stadium bans, imprisonment for terms longer then you would consider healthy and associates you with what is popluarly known as the "scum of the earth".

The one thing that always stood out in my memory was that going to a stadium sport (major sport event) in the USA was that the "outing" was a "family outing" a day / night where you could take your children, would not be harrassed and could enjoy watching the game cheering for your favorite.
    This unlike those kind of events in Europe, where the hatred between cities and team is often older then the entire USA, and where the hottest tickets are also the most dangerous ones where one normally would prefer to keep one's kids away from.
    It is hard to stay a "gentleman" when the described behaviour takes place around you, I am normally very gentle but I can tell you that it is a good thing I was not at those matches, considering the American law-system and my reaction to that behaviour.

Yes it is a spectacular sight seeing someone thrown from the upper ring, i witnessed that in Rotterdam in 1972 I believe it was, Feyenoor -Tottenham Hotspur, then a Euro Cup 1 (now champions league) match,

sad part is the supporters that went over, were badly injured, some died.

Hassle the opponents, but DO expect to end up with serious injuries, not all people take it so kindly though perturbed as obviously the Indiana fans do.

Finally: this kind of behaviour attracts other people to the games, people who only go for the possible fight, keep that in mind, you might come accross one or two in the near future, and i for one would be saddened to read obituaries on this board, even for Piston fans.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

sweabs

THAT'S IT!! When I go to another arena I don't consider myself a guest.
    And neither do a lot of your fans by the sounds of things ed:.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Dynasty, it sounds like you are a textbook definition of a "jerk".

ed:

And that is your constitution-protected right. So I guess I can't fault you for that.

When you fail to remember that you're a guest, you also fail to remember that those season ticket holders that you've just been offending care as much, if not more, about thier team as you do for your team. I'm completely tolerant of someone cheering for the other team as long as its done with respect.

I try to practice the golden rule when I go into a team's gym. I treat thier fans as I'd want to be treated. I cheer when appropriate, but not obnoxiously. I try to engage the fans around me in respectful, thoughtful basketball consideration. As a fan of the home team, I did not make plans to 'get into it' with fans of the opponent.

And when I leave at the end of the game, whether the Pacers win or lose, we've all had a pleasant evening. Of course, I'm in a much better mood if the Pacers win and vise-versa.

I guess I'd just rather make a positive impact on people's lives, instead of set my purpose as "ruffling thier feathers."
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Sorry to hear about the personal problems in your family UB.

As for the game issues one thing you said prior to this series is standing out. I can't remember the wording but it had to do with the team that blows an opportunity to win a game probably being the team that will lose control of the series.

I believe that would be the Pacers in game 2. That game was tight, at home, and we had a chance to tie in the final seconds. It didn't happen. It has been uphill since then.

Pistons, so far, have been the team to grab the reins and win when its been tight. Maybe that is what is lacking in this back and forth series? Maybe it is the Pistons turn to blow a tight game and the Pacers seal it with a block or game winner at the buzzer? I guess we can only hope and watch.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

I guess my question is, what's "fun" about "getting into it with other fans"? Sounds like the same kind of "fun" as being in a bar fight, which was never my preferred mode of entertainment.

I agree with Jay and many others. I go to the game to support my team, and I honor the rights of other folks to support theirs, as long as respect is there.

After all, to disrespect either team at this stage of the playoffs is ridiculous. Let's leave that to ESPN.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Disrespecting people at games is plain stupid. These people paid money to have fun and watch games, not to get heckled by the crowd. It makes the experience very unpleasant.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Bball, yes I think when this series is over, we'll look back and say game #2 was the game. If Reggie makes that layup, game goes into OT, who knows.

Because game #3 yes the pacers got back into it, but the Pistons cotnrolled that game, game #5 was a total disaster, Pacers had no chance.

From the Pistons perspective, they could look back at game #1 and say the same thing.

I also said the best player will win this series, I think it is clear that Rip has been the best player

I also said the best player will win this series, I think it is clear that Rip has been the best player
    Yep. I didn't think that was true at the beginning of the series, but through five games, its definitely true.

He's no longer the best of the "second tier" SGs, he should now be mentioned in the same breath as the top SGs in the league, IMO.

Yep. I didn't think that was true at the beginning of the series, but through five games, its definitely true.

He's no longer the best of the "second tier" SGs, he should now be mentioned in the same breath as the top SGs in the league, IMO.
    Without question. I had assumed before the series has started that Jermaine would be that man. However, this has not proven to be the case. Rip has certainly proven me wrong about his game, and yes, he is one of the best in the league now. Congrats to Detroit for having him locked up for a long while.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Dr. Jack said this morning on ESPN radio that Rip is now the second best shooting guard in the NBA behind Kobe. I think he consideres T-Mac a small forward

Dr. Jack said this morning on ESPN radio that Rip is now the second best shooting guard in the NBA behind Kobe. I think he consideres T-Mac a small forward
    Then again, we don't know how good T-Mac is in the playoffs. He's never gotten out of the first round, has he?

Then again, we don't know how good T-Mac is in the playoffs. He's never gotten out of the first round, has he?
    I never hold a team's success or failure against a player, unless he's blatantly responsible.

As I recall T-Mac played pretty well last year, even though his team lost.

woman without a team

First off, of course, my sympathies.

------------------

Anyway, I didn't really have a problem with the Detroit fans, except for the anthem, of course. (And yes, K-Stat, they really were doing it, and it wasn't like just one or two, either.) My sister was another story. She went down at halftime, and a Detroit guy tapped her on the shoulder and said, "Sorry about the score, ma'am." Now, I'd probably just laugh something like that off, but she didn't appreciate it. Of course, you have to question a guy picking out probably the shortest woman he could find, not to mention one without a guy standing next to her, to do that to.
    I couldn't laugh because he was being so :censor: sarcastic. I couldn't come up with a whitty retort so all I did was glare at him. Then he said it again. I thought about telling him I wasn't worried, but I don't like to lie. By the time I got back to my seat and told Kegboy about it I was just mad he called me maam.

I guess I just have to much of a memory of a chicago Bulls fan being stabbed & thrown off the third floor garage area of M.S.A. for me to think that "invading" another teams arena is a good idea.

If I ever went to another teams arena I would sit politely & never rub it into the face of other fans.

I've been on the receiving end of that way to many times with Celtics, Bulls & Lakers fans.

I thought it was very disrespectfull of Miami to bring thier cheerleaders & have them to dance routines in the stands of our game here.

I missed game five, but the previous games the Detroit fans in my area were subdued & polite. I even talked with a couple of them after game one & we got along fine.

I just don't understand why people would want to do this to each other.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

I guess I just have to much of a memory of a chicago Bulls fan being stabbed & thrown off the third floor garage area of M.S.A. for me to think that "invading" another teams arena is a good idea.

I keep thinking about that incident, but its been so long ago that I don't remember all the facts. But every time Dad and I go to the United Center together he reminds me to behave solely because of that incident.

woman without a team

This sounds like a scene right out of a movie!! Piston fans ruined the game for you You have to admit if those were alot of Pacer fans at the Palace acting buck wild and messing up the game for Piston fans you would love it! Be honest.
    Honestly, no I wouldn't love it. I wouldn't like it much either. This year when Kegboy didn't go to a game I took our other brother we never mention to the Philly game. There were obnoxious Philly fans behind us. Unfortunately my brother got just as obnoxious. I wanted to strangle him. The only reason he shut up was because the guy sitting on the other side of me shot him a nasty look and my brother knew the guy could beat the crap out of him.

I guess that does go to show its a Michigan thing. That brother was born in Michigan and spent six years of college and grad school at Michigan State.

UB, sorry to hear about your Mom's illness. We lost my mother-in-law last year to cancer, and it all happened very quickly. She was diagnosed in May and died in September, and was very sick the whole time. I can understand what your going through and my prayers are with you and your Mom.

The whole thing with the Piston's fans is disappointing, but not really surprising. I have attended games in Toronto almost every year, and we cheer for the Pacers but not to the point of being obnoxious. In fact most of the time the home fans near us will talk to us and it has been fine. Granted that was regular season games, but I wouldn't want to go into someone else's place and be a complete jerk the whole time. I guess that is what makes it fun for some people, but it doesn't make it right.

Also I think the Detroit fans would tell you T-Mac was awesome in the playoffs last year for the first 4 games, and I think he played well the final three games that Detroit won, but the better team finally was able to overcome one great player when the other Orlando players came back down to earth. I'd love to see what he could do in Indiana with JO and Ron!! That would be great!

sweabs

The whole thing with the Piston's fans is disappointing, but not really surprising. I have attended games in Toronto almost every year, and we cheer for the Pacers but not to the point of being obnoxious. In fact most of the time the home fans near us will talk to us and it has been fine. Granted that was regular season games, but I wouldn't want to go into someone else's place and be a complete jerk the whole time. I guess that is what makes it fun for some people, but it doesn't make it right.
    Hey I would have been at those games too!

I have never had a guy in Toronto bad mouth me at all when I am cheering for the Pacers...but Canadians are just so friendly - .

UB, I am sorry to hear about your mother's situation. I hope for the best for her and your family.
    That goes for me too, UB. I avoided this thread since I was tired of even thinking about game 5 and only read it now.

I lost my mother a few years ago after a series of strokes, so I can only advise you (and everyone) to make the most of the time we have left with our parents.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Hey I would have been at those games too!

I have never had a guy in Toronto bad mouth me at all when I am cheering for the Pacers...but Canadians are just so friendly - .
    Were you at the game in April this year? That is the only one I was able to go to in Toronto this year, we also made it to Indy around Chrismas for a couple of games.

I couldn't laugh because he was being so :censor: sarcastic. I couldn't come up with a whitty retort so all I did was glare at him. Then he said it again. I thought about telling him I wasn't worried, but I don't like to lie. By the time I got back to my seat and told Kegboy about it I was just mad he called me maam.
    Why so? Calling a female Ma'am is a polite form of address. I'm 60 years old and I've called teenage girls Ma'am. Of course it's always when thanking them. And you would never think I was being sarcastic.

It actually sounds to me like he was hitting on you.

UB, my best wishes go out to you, your mother and your family. Whatever happens with the Pacers, it is, at the end of the day, just a game. Sometimes things like this put life into perspective a little bit...