Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My full report from game #5

Default My full report from game #5

Sorry I had to be so short earlier today and I do appreciate the kind words from many of you.

Let me start off by saying that I got a phone call Friday night from my mother to inform me that she has ALS or better known as Lou Gehrigs disease, and basically has a few years to live. My mom is probably me best friend, we talk all the time and she is a huge Pacers fan. I only mention this here to set the type of mood I was in Sunday night.

Of course the huge win Friday night was exactly what I needed to lift my spirits, and it lifted my mom's spirits as well. She is not the most knowledgeable fan, but she follows the team very closely and gets so excited when the Pacers win.

I spent about 4 hours with my mom Sunday afternoon prior to game #5, it was great we talked about everything, and I know she enjoyed it and it made me feel a little better also.

That is just to set the stage, to give you a little insight into my frame of mind just prior to game #5.

I am walking through the parking lot, and encounter my first group of Pistons fans, did not think much of it, no big deal then one of them yells at me, Pistons will beat the *#@%^ Pacers tonight, OK no big deal, I did not say a word just kind of nodded and kept walking to Conseco.

The next group of Pistons fans I encounter is at the east side entrance, they are doing there chant of "Detroit basketball" you know how they do. No big deal, but they were doing it over and over again.

But then I walk into the Fieldhouse, and I walk around a little, actually wanted to get a thing of bottled water, bought that, and I turn around and this Piston fan runs into me and spilled half a beer on me, he did not do it on purpose, but he did not say sorry, excuse me, he just kept walking right through me. So I go into the restroom to wash myself off a little, but now I am getting a little steamed, because there were Pistons fans everywhere, being just loud and obnoxious.

But I make my way to my seat, glad I finally made it, it is about 20 minutes before tipoff, try to get settled in for the game.

Right then 4 Pistons fans sit two seats down from me, I know who sits in those seats, they are always there, so I figure these guys were not sitting where they were supposed to be. I kind of look at them, and in a friendly voice, say I was just wondering where you got those tickets, they said something like we bought them from a broker, OK, free country, I said I know who normally sits in these seats and I was surprised they sold them. At that point one of the guys said well we're not moving. I found that strange because I never suggested that they move. But then I asked them if these were their seats, they said this is where they are sitting. Needless to say about 5 minutes later, they had to move because the fans who paid for those tickets showed up. I had a smile on my face when they had to move.

So the game starts, and to my chagrin, there were two Pistons fans right behind. By this point that was not what I needed, they were loud rude, crude. Constantly yelling and screaming, once during the national anthem. But one of the guys would spit when he would screem and yell. And he was the stupidist fan I have ever seen. Knew very little about NBA basketball. Every shot Billups took the guy about at a heart attack. He kept screaming for the Pacers to put Jeff Foster in. He was calling for the refs to make an intentional foul call, no such thing in the NBA

I kept my cool, and never said a word to him, until the last 30 seconds of the game, keep in mind I am a very mild mannered guy, laid back, but he was up screaming, I mean the game was over, and I could not take it anymore, so I turn around in my seat and say the game is over, you won now shut up, and I got up and left. I did not look to see what his reaction was and if he said anything I did not hear it.

I have beat this into the ground, but at halftime I walked around and the Pistons fans were everywhere, when I left they were everywhere, I admit as I was leaving and had to stop and turn around 4 or 5 times because cars were stuck in flood waters, I was half hoping a few Pistons fans were stuck.

My next post in this thread will address the Pacers and the actual game

Default Re: My full report from game #5

It's not only Piston fans that act that way UncleBuck, nowdays it's fan's everywhere. We have the same sort of guys on this forum that have to go rub it in on other forum's and then get upset because that forum gives them hell.

It's the natural of the beast anymore.
    -----

I'm really sorry to hear about your mother UncleBuck. Mine passed away april 20th so I know how your feeling.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wow, that sounds horrible UB. I was half-contemplating attending Game 5 but didn't have the best experience in Game 2 myself, so I opted to pass. I may do what I can to attend Game 7 if it comes to that, though, if nothing else to ensure one less Pistons fan at the game.

Sorry about your mom, dude. That's rough.

The display the Pacers put on in game #5 disgusted me.

The only, and I mean only player who played well was Freddie Jones.

Tinsley and J.O get a pass becaue they are injured. Although if Tinsley would have taken one more quick three I was going to lose it.

The last 2 minutes of the first half I actually kicked the seat in front of me. The game was lost right there. The score is tied, and Pacers have a little momentum, and I was thinking OK, Pacers have a chance to get a 4 or 5 point lead, instead they do about 10 things wrong in a row and trail by 5 at halftime. I have not been that mad in a long long time.

Pacers as a team were very selfish, and I have to start with Artest. He reverted back to going one-on-three, and got his shot blocked again and again. He did have 11 rebounds, and he was begging Carlisle to put him on Rip. When he gets frustrated it is not pretty to watch for me. I did not like Ron Artest too much in this game.

Al did nothing, he was tentitive, and could not finish.

One thing I kept wondering is how in the heck did the Pacers win 61 games this season. Watching this game they looked more like mthe Clippers.

I am sick of dwelling on the Pacers. So let me move on to the Pistons

Richard Hamilton has become unstoppable in thi series. He is so fast, so quick, so slippery, Pacers had no answer.

I don't mind Ben Wallace, Rip Hamilton or Billups beating us because I have so much respect for those three guys, but when Sheed beats us it kills me.

One last thing, Ben Wallace may not have scored much, but he controlled the whole defensive end of the court in a way I don't know if I have ever seen.

I know I have never left a Pacers game feeling so disgusted
    by what I had seen

Paahking my caahr in Haahvad Yaahd... ;-)

UB, best wishes for your family, I know from personal experience what a physical and emotional strain it can be when there is a serious illness in a parent.

Regarding bad fans, it is unfortunate that more and more people nowdays feel the need to take something that is supposed to be an entertaining diversion from our everyday problems, and turn it into something that's mean-spirited, unpleasant, and disruptive.

Your horse is dead, get off it already...

UB, my thoughts are with you and your family. Basketball pales in comparison.

PistonsDynasty

That is just to set the stage, to give you a little insight into my frame of mind just prior to game #5.

I am walking through the parking lot, and encounter my first group of Pistons fans, did not think much of it, no big deal then one of them yells at me, Pistons will beat the *#@%^ Pacers tonight, OK no big deal, I did not say a word just kind of nodded and kept walking to Conseco.

The next group of Pistons fans I encounter is at the east side entrance, they are doing there chant of "Detroit basketball" you know how they do. No big deal, but they were doing it over and over again.

But then I walk into the Fieldhouse, and I walk around a little, actually wanted to get a thing of bottled water, bought that, and I turn around and this Piston fan runs into me and spilled half a beer on me, he did not do it on purpose, but he did not say sorry, excuse me, he just kept walking right through me. So I go into the restroom to wash myself off a little, but now I am getting a little steamed, because there were Pistons fans everywhere, being just loud and obnoxious.

But I make my way to my seat, glad I finally made it, it is about 20 minutes before tipoff, try to get settled in for the game.

Right then 4 Pistons fans sit two seats down from me, I know who sits in those seats, they are always there, so I figure these guys were not sitting where they were supposed to be. I kind of look at them, and in a friendly voice, say I was just wondering where you got those tickets, they said something like we bought them from a broker, OK, free country, I said I know who normally sits in these seats and I was surprised they sold them. At that point one of the guys said well we're not moving. I found that strange because I never suggested that they move. But then I asked them if these were their seats, they said this is where they are sitting. Needless to say about 5 minutes later, they had to move because the fans who paid for those tickets showed up. I had a smile on my face when they had to move.

So the game starts, and to my chagrin, there were two Pistons fans right behind. By this point that was not what I needed, they were loud rude, crude. Constantly yelling and screaming, once during the national anthem. But one of the guys would spit when he would screem and yell. And he was the stupidist fan I have ever seen. Knew very little about NBA basketball. Every shot Billups took the guy about at a heart attack. He kept screaming for the Pacers to put Jeff Foster in. He was calling for the refs to make an intentional foul call, no such thing in the NBA

I kept my cool, and never said a word to him, until the last 30 seconds of the game, keep in mind I am a very mild mannered guy, laid back, but he was up screaming, I mean the game was over, and I could not take it anymore, so I turn around in my seat and say the game is over, you won now shut up, and I got up and left. I did not look to see what his reaction was and if he said anything I did not hear it.

I have beat this into the ground, but at halftime I walked around and the Pistons fans were everywhere, when I left they were everywhere, I admit as I was leaving and had to stop and turn around 4 or 5 times because cars were stuck in flood waters, I was half hoping a few Pistons fans were stuck.

This sounds like a scene right out of a movie!! Piston fans ruined the game for you You have to admit if those were alot of Pacer fans at the Palace acting buck wild and messing up the game for Piston fans you would love it! Be honest.

Mood

This sounds like a scene right out of a movie!! Piston fans ruined the game for you You have to admit if those were alot of Pacer fans at the Palace acting buck wild and messing up the game for Piston fans you would love it! Be honest.
    I doubt he would and I know I wouldn't; I hate ********, no matter what team they root for (or even if they don't root for any team for that matter).

sweabs

Actually I don't think he would...I think most people on these boards are good fans who act in a civilized manner at games. At Game 4 that I went to at the Palace, every Pacer fan I saw acted like a fan should - kept quiet, and cheered when we got our buckets. None of this extra stuff that has no value to it whatsoever - just to annoy and irritate fans of the opposing team.

A thief steals and reasons it's ok because everyone steals, but it's not true, everyone doesn't steal, and likewise I am being honest when I say if I saw Pacer fans acting that way I would be disgusted.

I don't even like it when I think the Pacer's are getting favorable treatment from the refs. Detracts from my enjoyment of the game.

sweabs

BTW - my prayers are with you, your mother and rest of the family UB.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

I go to a lot of Pacers road games, I know I don't behave like the Pistons fans I've seen this round.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

I had written a comment here, but then I figured you wouldn't understand it considering the post you just made

ed: ed: ed: ed:

I go to a lot of Pacers road games, I know I don't behave like the Pistons fans I've seen this round.
    They are called hooligans in Europe with reason. They are getting more prevalent over here now.

UB, my thoughts go out to you and your family and your mother.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Not at all, I would be disgusted if I saw any Pacers fans acting that way. I have been to 5 Pacers road games over the years, granted no playoff games, and yes playoff games are very different from regular season games.

But when I am at a road game I feel like a guest and I act accordingly.

The first thing that woud help is if the fans weren't as drunk as a skunk.

My prayers probably aren't worth much, but just in case I'll say several for your mom. My cousin suffered with ALS and dealing with it was a monumental challenge for he and his family.

About the game, we could not go because of out of town commitments. I sold my tickets to a friend. Hope I didn't lose a friend out of the deal, but I am glad as heck I wasn't there. Sounds awful.

I heard the first half on the radio and suffered with Slick and Mark and saw most of the second half on TV. The last time I was that disappointed was that game six, home court loss, to the Knicks, nearly a decade ago, the one where with a victory we could have finally knocked off the evil Knicks.

One can hope the team gets things turned around in game six. But I wonder.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

UncleBuck, I am very sorry to hear about your mother, my thoughts and prayers are with her and your family as well.

The Pacers game, I was there as well, and I could probably write 12 pages on the game, and the Pistons fans, especially the ones in my section (223), but I'll try to keep it brief.

There were way too many Pistons fans there, and I say that not as they don't have the right to be there, because they do. It's just that there were way the f--k too many tickets available for them to buy, but that's a whole other animal that's already been covered.

In my section, 2 rows above me, and then 5 or so rows above me were a sh*tload of beyond obnoxious Pistons, including the guys waving the big Pistons flag, and having the red and blue colored clown-fro wigs, and jerseys on, loud as hell the whole time.

These guys stuck around after the game was over, and mostly rubbed the loss, and made fun of all the Pacers fans remaining in their seats, waving that damn Pistons flag around. They were beyond belligerent, and were actually doing it to older people, and families as well, and were really pushing it at certain points.

I will say that one of them noticed that I was not taking the bait of his taunting, and actually came up to me and talked normal for a minute. He said that both teams were tough, and there was a chance that the Pacers could still win, but the Pistons would likely prevail, and then asked me where any good bars, or places to hangout were in town. I told him just to go downtown, but it was Sunday, and I didn't know how long stuff was open.

At halftime, they seemed to gather together, like rats on a carcass, in a big mob out in the walkway, and then after the game, it got even worse.

The gigantic mob, with their chanting, and taunting was almost like scene from a movie. I saw in another post somewhere that if Indiana had won at the Palace, and Pacers fans did the exact same thing there, Pistons fans probably would have started shooting people, and I agree.

I know a lot of people say that the Pacers fans there should have drowned out the sound of the Pistons fans, and for the most part in my section, the Pacers fans did. But there was nothing to get really pumped up and cheer for an extended time, with the exception of a few occasions.

With the combination of the loss, and the crazy a$$ weather around Indy that day, it pretty much sucked.

Hopefully, the Pacers can pull a miracle out of their a$$, and somehow win game 6 to send it back to Conseco for a finale.

First off, of course, my sympathies.

------------------

Okay, since everyone else is talking about the Pistons fans, guess I will too. There were a ton in my section, about a third of it in all. But, I can say with certainty that there are barely, if any, other season ticket holders in my section, so most of the tickets were surely from brokers.

Now, here's the thing. They weren't that loud. At all. I was very surprised. (To put things in perspective, if anyone remembers the infamous Colts-Titans playoff game of a few years back, percentage wise there were more Pistons fans, but they weren't nearly as organized or effective.) They'd do there little chants, then quickly get out cheered by those around them. They'd make their little snide comments when Detroit did something good, but they were just as quick to sit down and shut up whenever we had a stop or a basket, right up until the end of the game.

The concourse was another story. I went down in the second to use the facilities, and they were everywhere. I guarantee if the concessions outside my aisle were any indication, PS&E had their highest profits of the year. I've never seen a collective group of people eat and drink so much. I sit on the aisle, and they were constantly walking up and down with as much as they could carry. And considering what I read about scalping prices this morning, at least they contributed a great deal to the local economy.

Now, here's something some of you might appreciate. I've sat on that aisle for 5 years, so I've seen thousands upon thousands of people walk up and down those stairs. Now granted, about one person will trip ever 2-3 games, invariably some poor kid with popcorn or nachos. Last night, however, I saw, not 1, not 2, not 3, but 4 completely separate incidents of Detroit fans literally falling down drunk right in front of me. Everybody seemed to be all right, except the last one, where after the game a Pistons fan went bowling down the steps taking out the couple in front of him. That one really had to hurt. Thankfully the rain later washed away the lady's beer that fell on me. (Now, besides the partaking of mucho alcohol, all of them had flip-flops on. In fact, the vast majority of Detroit fans I saw were college age with flip-flops. Wierd people. )

Anyway, I didn't really have a problem with the Detroit fans, except for the anthem, of course. (And yes, K-Stat, they really were doing it, and it wasn't like just one or two, either.) My sister was another story. She went down at halftime, and a Detroit guy tapped her on the shoulder and said, "Sorry about the score, ma'am." Now, I'd probably just laugh something like that off, but she didn't appreciate it. Of course, you have to question a guy picking out probably the shortest woman he could find, not to mention one without a guy standing next to her, to do that to.

As for the whole debate of how fans should react, I've never seen the allure of being a jackass at a game, even back in my Kegboy days when I was usually three sheets to the wind. And yes, it's not like Pistons fans are the only yahoos. Not by a long shot. Oh well, guess I'm just too much of an idealist. Gracious in victory or defeat, and all that.

(But then, there were a couple times that if I'd been courtside, I would have run out on the court and beat the crap out of Javie. But that's just me. )
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Mood

UB, my thoughts go out to you and your family and your mother.
    Mine as well.

A thief steals and reasons it's ok because everyone steals, but it's not true, everyone doesn't steal, and likewise I am being honest when I say if I saw Pacer fans acting that way I would be disgusted.

I don't even like it when I think the Pacer's are getting favorable treatment from the refs. Detracts from my enjoyment of the game.
    Agreed on both counts.

To be honest, after the first round of Pistons fans yelling during the anthem, I heard someone across the aisle talking, and I thought it was one of the Pistons fans. I turned and it was one of the Pacers fans in front of them, drunk out of his mind just talking to his wife. I shot him a dirty look and he shut up.

And second, I can't stand it when the refs start giving us calls (though, it does seem to go the other way more often. Too often. )
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

PistonsDynasty

I guess Detroit fans are just diffrent. I'm just shockd that Pacers fans wouldn't rowdy at a vistors playoff arena.

---------

UB, my thoughts go out to you and your family and your mother. I just had an arguement with my mother today and that made me think.

sweabs

I guess Detroit fans are just diffrent. I'm just shockd that Pacers fans wouldn't rowdy at a vistors playoff arena.

---------

UB, my thoughts go out to you and your family and your mother. I just had an arguement with my mother today and that made me think.
    No I'm not rowdy. I act appropriately - I cheer when necessary but I don't go out of my way to annoy the fans there...as Unclebuck described it, I consider myself a guest in the Palace.

Mood

I am sorry to hear that about your mother UB. i don't have time to get into the rest of the thread. just wanted you to know my thoughts are with you.

Wishing you and your family the most fulfilling days ahead.