Thread: Could there possibly be a worse Finals matchup...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Could there possibly be a worse Finals matchup...

...than the Pistons and Lakers? Ugh.

In the West, the Lakers are absolutely the last team I want to see win it. They are the NBA's "Evil Empire" for a reason.

In the East, the Pistons are definitely up there. The only other teams that I couldn't really stand to be representing the East are the Knicks or the Nets...maybe the Celtics too.

What a horrible, horrible Finals we're about to witness. I just wish the ground would open up and swallow both teams.

What for you, personally, would be the best/worst Finals to watch? For me, the worst would be the Knicks and the Lakers. The best? The Pacers and the Grizzlies.

sweabs

Default Re: Could there possibly be a worse Finals matchup...

Worst = Lakers/Nets.

Best = Clippers/Pacers .

I'm sure ABC prefers LA/Detroit to Minnesota/Indiana.

Artestaholic

Actually ABC would prefer Indiana/Lakers to any potential Finals match up.
    Not only does Indy have more stars, but they have a larger fan base than the Pistons and would present the Lakers more of a challenge which is what ABC really wants.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Not only does Indy have more stars, but they have a larger fan base than the Pistons and would present the Lakers more of a challenge which is what ABC really wants.
    The Pacers have a larger fan base?

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Artestaholic

From what I've seen, yes.

The Pacers have a larger fan base?
    Not counting the bandwagoners, I don't think.

I have to agree that this is the worst finals match up for me too. I hate the Lakers, no explanation necessary! I think Malone and Payton buying their rings is against the whole idea of raising a team with your talent and play to the championship level. Hopping on in the twilight of your career (Malone) just to get a ring is cheap and I really had hoped they would implode long ago.

The Pistons this year were handed Sheed on a silver platter for nothing!!! That stinks just as bad! Did he go to work with them all season, every game? Did they even have to sacrifice something of real value to get him? NO and to me that is sickening! I don't blame Joe D. for taking what was given, I just think it stinks! I also think the way they handled firing Rick last year was ugly and crossed the ethical line (if only there was such a thing). It is one thing to fire him to hire a more proven coach, Fine. But to smear his reputation was over the line! It wasn't right and they don't deserve to triumph this year IMO because of those two things.

I fully expect it to be the Lakers in 4,5 or 6 against either East team (unless we miraculously get healthy and are able to get past detroit). I don't think I'll bother to watch (unless its us), its just to sickening. Last year I can honestly say I was very happy for San Antonio, esp for David Robinson. A championship in his final season couldn't be more fitting and I was really happy for them. Sometimes good guys do finish first!

woman without a team

Besides Rasheed what is the problem with the Pistons?
    Their fans?

Lakers-Nets would be MUCH worse.

Been there, swept that.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Their fans?
    Ben Wallace and Larry Brown's big mouths?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Their fans?
    unlike the timid churchmice that JO and Reggie are.......

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

sweabs

Their fans?
    Kstat - it seems like you only post when you feel that your Pistons are threatened? You don't really post much on Pacers themes.

Their fans?
    I think I'm going to give you some type of virtual cookie when I see you actually respond to criticism of your team without immediately bringing up the other team's players intead of just defending your own.

Their fans?
    I think I'm going to give you some type of virtual cookie when I see you actually respond to criticism of your team without immediately bringing up the other team's players intead of just defending your own.
    Mmm...virtual cookie...

Since Kstat will never earn it that way, can I have it?

woman without a team

Their fans?
    I didn't realize I'd have to explain. Notice I said fans.

means the fans who wore the 'fros.
    means the smarta$$ college students who drove all that way to spend all that money and drink all that beer
    my way of trying to keep the peace.

Their fans?
    Maybe you should just kick his arse straight on the Piston boards.

So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Mmm...virtual cookie...
    Great, now I'm hungry. Guess I'm gonna have to go back to eating my jersey.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

PistonsDynasty

I have to agree that this is the worst finals match up for me too. I hate the Lakers, no explanation necessary! I think Malone and Payton buying their rings is against the whole idea of raising a team with your talent and play to the championship level. Hopping on in the twilight of your career (Malone) just to get a ring is cheap and I really had hoped they would implode long ago.

The Pistons this year were handed Sheed on a silver platter for nothing!!! That stinks just as bad! Did he go to work with them all season, every game? Did they even have to sacrifice something of real value to get him? NO and to me that is sickening! I don't blame Joe D. for taking what was given, I just think it stinks! I also think the way they handled firing Rick last year was ugly and crossed the ethical line (if only there was such a thing). It is one thing to fire him to hire a more proven coach, Fine. But to smear his reputation was over the line! It wasn't right and they don't deserve to triumph this year IMO because of those two things.

I fully expect it to be the Lakers in 4,5 or 6 against either East team (unless we miraculously get healthy and are able to get past detroit). I don't think I'll bother to watch (unless its us), its just to sickening. Last year I can honestly say I was very happy for San Antonio, esp for David Robinson. A championship in his final season couldn't be more fitting and I was really happy for them. Sometimes good guys do finish first!
    Sir, Detroit traded 2 first round picks and a great pg in Chucky Atkins.

They also had to trade a fan favoite Zelly and Bob Sura and Hunter.

2picks and 4players for 1 players seems like a big gamble to me.

Sir, Detroit traded 2 first round picks and a great pg in Chucky Atkins.

They also had to trade a fan favoite Zelly and Bob Sura and Hunter.

2picks and 4players for 1 players seems like a big gamble to me.
    I'm sorry but can you really say that with a straight face?? Even all the national media and Joe himself couldn't stress enough how great a deal this was. You don't give up anything that really mattered to your team right now, and get a finals appearance as a result of this trade. Sorry, but even Larry Brown said last week without Sheed I'd be on the golf course.

Kings vs. Pacers - That would a DREAM COME TRUE!

Lakers vs. I d k...

I just don't like the Lakers.

Sactolover
    AKA Sactolover05

Other than my disgust of the Lakers,

I like this series, because there is no way we could beat the Lakers without Tinsley and O'neal. And neither would be able to play in the finals...Oneal would jeopardize his career.

So, I'm happy watching someone else get wiped out by the Flakers!

Water