Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Do you smoke weed?

Default Re: Do you smoke weed?

Arkman, one a couple of difference betwen pot and alcohol.

1) alcohol is legal for those 21 or older.

2) Drinking alcohol in very small amounts does not harm your body. I know people in my family who have a one beer a day, they never get drunk, never do anything because of the beer. Some wine in moderation is said to improve your health.
    Smoking pot does not improve your health,nor is it health neutral. yes I am aware of the benefits of smoking weed while having chemo, but that just masks the pain from what I understand

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Never have - never will.

And I LIVE IN CANADA!
    I think I beat you! I love in Holland, and I have never done soft or hard drugs, except if you consider alcohol a hard drug (ok, it is, but the "hooked"-effect of getting addicted isnt nearly as strong as for say Crakc or Heroine). I drink, sometimes a lot and sometimes a little when I go out with friends thats it.

I never have done weed, because it doesnt "fit" in my lifestyle. I love sporting a lot and being in good shape and that stuff would hold me down, besides why would I, I dont need it, so I dont need to.

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

yes I am aware of the benefits of smoking weed while having chemo, but that just masks the pain from what I understand
    That is all it does. All the stuff you hear about it being good for you is crap. It just helps to make the pain ease, but that does not mean that it is healthy for the body.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

:EDITED:

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

With regards to the health effects of weed and such lighter drugs, there are a lot of conflicting reports. The sort of conclusion usually depends on who ordered the research.

Most will aggree the level of physical addiction is low and quitting isnt that hard, however above a certain amount of blows taken each day it will certainly influence your mental health, people get more psychologically instable, I dont really know how other to describe it, english isnt my native language. Anyway the long lasting effects of weed are pretty much a black hole, we simply dont know for sure, as far as I know. Except that continuous use will very likely effect ones psyche. How much we dont know.

Anyway, I stay away from that *****. I t doesnt fit my lifestyle at all.

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Oh, and there was a certain aroma coming from the stalls in the men's room behind Section222 last Sunday night.

ed:
    Are you sure it wasn't coming from the bad play out on the court?
    Well, it was two different aromas, with two different sources.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

Any reason you're trying to drive home the fact that alcohol is a drug? I know it is, do you think most people don't know? Just asking.

Speaking for myself, growing up the message was basically drinking and smoking was bad, doing other drugs was worse
    I'm sure that most people know that alcohol is techncially a drug, however many people won't identify a person who uses alcohol as a "drug user". Most people simply don't stop to really think about it, it's just ingrained.

So when I see people say that they are taught or believe that "drugs" are really bad, I am always curious if that includes alcohol.

For example, Hicks, you say that growing up the message was basically drinking was bad, doing other drugs was worse, when in fact using alcohol is at least as bad as smoking weed, and as in many ways worse. Alcohol use is a major, major health and public safety problem. Yet it carries very little if any stigma and is quite socially acceptable (i.e. beer ads everywhere, etc).
    I think most people think that alcohol use is ok, but alcohol abuse is wrong. I personally categorize 'drug' use as using an ILLEGAL substance. People inhale aerosol cans does that mean we should call Spray Paint a "drug"? Is alcohol abuse wrong and harmful? Yes. Is it illegal? No.

I personally think that drug use should be legalized. Number 1 - the law enforcement agencies are ill equipped to stop it's use. Number 2 - making it legal would allow the possibility of keeping better tabs on it's use. If illegal drugs were made legal, the big pharmaceutical companies would then market it and instead of having to go to the local drug dealer you could buy it at WalMart. WalMart would do to drug dealers what they did to 'Mom and Pop' stores all across this country, put them out of Bid-ness!

Of course it's not that simple and it won't happen, but there is a lot of things that could be done with the money this Country is throwing away fighting the drug war, which we are losing.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

2) Drinking alcohol in very small amounts does not harm your body. I know people in my family who have a one beer a day, they never get drunk, never do anything because of the beer. Some wine in moderation is said to improve your health.
    Smoking pot does not improve your health,nor is it health neutral. yes I am aware of the benefits of smoking weed while having chemo, but that just masks the pain from what I understand
    The legal thing is currently significant difference, no doubt. However I hope that most realize that weed being illegal while alcohol remains legal is is a difference that is largely political in nature that is independent of any ill effects either have.

And while alcohol in moderation is better for you than smoking weed in moderation, it becomes more dangerous than weed as use goes up. A great many more people are killed or injured as a direct or indirect result of alcohol use.

http://www.ncadd.org/facts/problems.html

As far as the benefits of marijuana for people on chemotherapy, it does far more than simply relieve pain. It also helps patients combat nausea, maintain a healthy appetite, and fight unhealthy weight loss (a condition called cachexia).

[quote="PacerMan"]...
    The head of the republican party in Fort Wayne, a highly conservative man, and a well known lawyer, is also a daily smoker pothead ....[quote]

I had no idea he was a pothead - now things are starting to add up...
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

I think most people think that alcohol use is ok, but alcohol abuse is wrong. I personally categorize 'drug' use as using an ILLEGAL substance. People inhale aerosol cans does that mean we should call Spray Paint a "drug"? Is alcohol abuse wrong and harmful? Yes. Is it illegal? No.

I personally think that drug use should be legalized. Number 1 - the law enforcement agencies are ill equipped to stop it's use. Number 2 - making it legal would allow the possibility of keeping better tabs on it's use. If illegal drugs were made legal, the big pharmaceutical companies would then market it and instead of having to go to the local drug dealer you could buy it at WalMart. WalMart would do to drug dealers what they did to 'Mom and Pop' stores all across this country, put them out of Bid-ness!

Of course it's not that simple and it won't happen, but there is a lot of things that could be done with the money this Country is throwing away fighting the drug war, which we are losing.
    Any substance that produces changes in the nervous system, especially that will get you "high", is by definition a drug, regardless of whether or not that is it's primary use.

And the legal differences are a large part of my point here, that the legality of a substance should make zero difference in how it is categorized as a "drug". An objective observer who had no idea what the laws are would very likely not guess that alcohol and pot had drastically different legal statuses.

I agree with you about legalization of currently illegal drugs, at least marijuana. It isn't anyone's business what you do with your own body unless you are hurting someone else, and hurting someone else is already against the law. Sitting in your living room, toking on a joint and watching TV...the gov't has no right to prohibit that IMO, anymore than it should be telling you you can't drink a couple of glasses of wine with dinner in your own home.

The legal thing is currently significant difference, no doubt. However I hope that most realize that weed being illegal while alcohol remains legal is is a difference that is largely political in nature that is independent of any ill effects either have.

And while alcohol in moderation is better for you than smoking weed in moderation, it becomes more dangerous than weed as use goes up. A great many more people are killed or injured as a direct or indirect result of alcohol use.

http://www.ncadd.org/facts/problems.html

As far as the benefits for people on chemotherapy, it does far more than simply relieve pain. It also helps patients combat nausea, maintain a healthy appetite, and fight unhealthy weight loss (a condition called cachexia).
    Could the fact that a great many more people are injured as a result of alcohol have anything to do with the statistic that 81% of people 12 and over in this country have used alcohol? The more people using it, the more problems you will have.

Ledzepplincolt said:
    I can't acually speak for the Roc but I would surmise he responded in that fashion due in part to the never have never will type of responses.
    I understand your point, but as a 'never have, never will' person I think you are wrong. My reason for not trying pot or any other drug is because I know I would like it and nothing good will come out of me using it. I don't have a problem with someone smoking pot as long as they don't do it in front of their kids, don't get behind the wheel of a car and don't flaunt the fact they smoke it. Similarly I DO have a problem with people who drink constantly in front of their kids and get behind the wheel of a car after they have been drinking.
    - Benjamin Franklin

Could the fact that a great many more people are injured as a result of alcohol have anything to do with the statistic that 81% of people 12 and over in this country have used alcohol? The more people using it, the more problems you will have.
    That's surely part of it, however if you corrected the raw numbers for the 35% of people 12 and over in this country have used marijuana, alchohol is still way in the lead. Do some searches on "alcohol-related deaths" and "marijuana-related deaths".

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

My simplified opinion, due to not enough time to respond properly:
    Weed Good Alcohol Bad :
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

ganja is alot safer than booze. why is it illegal again? oh ya, to incarcerate black people.

When the prohibition of ganja began in the 30s the only people who even smoked it were mexicans and black people for the most part (and hippies before there were hippies). Another good way to enslave people, and make sure their votes wont count.

The question about what would you do if your kid smoked weed... would you rather have your kid smoke weed or overdose on zanax or some dangerous pill.

I think anyone who tries ganja in the first place has a rebellious nature. So maybe that is something to be more concerned about with your kids rather than the plant itself. If they are gonna try some weed, and once they do they realize it is totally harmless, a kid might think, "oh! well coke and smack and crack and pcp and lsd or whatever must be the alright since the govt is so stupid to illegalize pot in the first place."

If ganja were a controlled substance for adults over 21 there would not be this problem of ganja leading to other dangerous drugs as the normal argument goes.

free up the weed! uh i dont smoke it (often)

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

ganja is alot safer than booze. why is it illegal again? oh ya, to incarcerate black people.

When the prohibition of ganja began in the 30s the only people who even smoked it were mexicans and black people for the most part (and hippies before there were hippies). Another good way to enslave people, and make sure their votes wont count.

The question about what would you do if your kid smoked weed... would you rather have your kid smoke weed or overdose on zanax or some dangerous pill.

I think anyone who tries ganja in the first place has a rebellious nature. So maybe that is something to be more concerned about with your kids rather than the plant itself. If they are gonna try some weed, and once they do they realize it is totally harmless, a kid might think, "oh! well coke and smack and crack and pcp and lsd or whatever must be the alright since the govt is so stupid to illegalize pot in the first place."

If ganja were a controlled substance for adults over 21 there would not be this problem of ganja leading to other dangerous drugs as the normal argument goes.

free up the weed! uh i dont smoke it (often)

Not dangerous.... see my previous post.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

geezer, I couldn't, wouldn't and dont argue with ya about it, cause obviously it has affected you and those you loved very traumatically.

Respect. Life is hard man.
    I just go by what I know from my own experiences.

joro

Never have.

Never will.

Never even smoked tobacco -- watched way too many people (my dad and brother, to name just a couple) cough up a quarter cup of "lung dung" every morning with their coffee and first cigarette. I remember thinking as an 8 year old, "Who in the world would do this ON PURPOSE"?

joro.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yes, and love it.

Edit: You guy cannot get into the what is healthy for you body, yadda yadda yadda. Alot of things aren't healthy, soda, sugar, coffee.

Hip-Hop ,Guitar & Martial ArtsEnthusiast
    Tony Jaa could beat you up with his pinky.

pssstt.....

[size=9:564f7e16f2] unclebuck is a c o p[/size]

I have never tried weed or alcohol before, and probably never will. Not that I haven't had opportunities. I could probably name over 20 people I hang out with every day at my high school that smoke weed, and even more that drink. I don't stay away from alcohol and weed from a moral standpoint or anything, I just don't like the taste.

P.S.- The pothead sterotype is very true. I've seen guys who used to be totally normal go to zombies who just stare at stuff all the time and have slurred speech. Drug Free's the way to be!

If you abuse any drug you will become more like the stereotype. However there is a fine line between using a drug and abusing a drug. I guess if you use drugs then you need to sortof keep aware of yourself, and your mental state, so you know when you need to step back from it.

I smoked a lot of weed early in life (I'm a 70's product). I promised my wife I would give it up when our kids were born 15 years ago and I have stayed true to that. I've discussed it openly with them and hope they can use my experience to make good decisions. When they're grown and gone, I may partake again.

I have mixed emotions about its effect. I really enjoyed it, but I could see how some would be content to continue to smoke and lose interest in working for something they want. However, if they live life happy and are kind to others, why should I care.

Banned

I used to when I was younger.

Nothing good ever resulted from my smoking weed. In fact, I can think of several specific BAD things that resulted from it.

I haven't smoked any in 19 years and can't imagine ever doing it again.

Now Beer....that's a very different story.

Never have never will....Saw to many people's live messed up by drugs, and yes some of them were specifically because of weed.

Yes I know Acohol can do the same thing, and I do partake in alcohol, but in moderation.

I guess it all depends on how you were raised, when you were raised and in what envoronment you were raised in how you view pot and other drugs.

jfisher

man some of you guys gotta take the pine cone outta your butt!!!......heroin and cocaine are the only things I HAVEN'T done. I'm 42 now with wife/kids/dog-etc, so I don't get to smoke as much as I'd like, but whenever it's free..dot...dot....dot.....anyway, I love the After School Special type mentality of some of you on here......"I knew a guy who was brilliant, but then he smoked pot and now he's a homeless loser....." hee hee hee.....sorry....but that is a good laugh.....just please listen to a cd by the late Bill Hicks.....he crystallizes my thoughts on drug use perfectly......John