Thread: In your wildest dreams, did you think the Pacers could play this poorly for the

Default In your wildest dreams, did you think the Pacers could play this poorly for the

The only thing that gives me any hope for the rest of this series is the law of averages. It seems so unlikely to me that this team, or any basketball team, is capable at playing at such a low level. Screw the injuries, b/c I don't think that is the reason we are losing. When we were relatively healthy at the beginning of the series, we were making the same boner mistakes we are making now.

Usually when one of our guys has had a bad run another guy picks up the slack. I just never imagined we'd all tank so consistently for a long period of time.

And yes, I will acknowledge Detroit's "D" is attributing to our lower scoring. However, we have not played well at hitting Free Throws, Wide open jumpers, and ball movement in general.

I expected a couple of games like this, but we've played 4 of 5 games at a very low level.
    “Seventy percent of me talking on the court is personally for me to get me
    motivated and going. Thirty percent is to see if I can get into the opponent’s head.”
    Reggie Miller

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: In your wildest dreams, did you think the Pacers could play this poorly for

It's definiely a shocker to me.

Credit some of Detroit's D, but also credit the refs for allowing Detroit to get away with a lot of slapping and shoving, and the Pacers for missing lots of chippies and open jumpers.

We need a shooter SO BADLY. I hope to God we bring in T-Mac.

PistonsDynasty

Default Re: In your wildest dreams, did you think the Pacers could play this poorly for

The only thing that gives me any hope for the rest of this series is the law of averages. It seems so unlikely to me that this team, or any basketball team, is capable at playing at such a low level. Screw the injuries, b/c I don't think that is the reason we are losing. When we were relatively healthy at the beginning of the series, we were making the same boner mistakes we are making now.

Usually when one of our guys has had a bad run another guy picks up the slack. I just never imagined we'd all tank so consistently for a long period of time.

And yes, I will acknowledge Detroit's "D" is attributing to our lower scoring. However, we have not played well at hitting Free Throws, Wide open jumpers, and ball movement in general.

I expected a couple of games like this, but we've played 4 of 5 games at a very low level.
    It's the DEFENSE!!

Even at the free throw line. Sheed trys to talk smack, and keeps saying "The ball aint gone lie". I use to say that when I was younger like many of these basketball players. When someone says that, that makes you think about the call, instead of thinking about the free throw. Then when the guy misses the 1st most of the time they are going to miss the 2nd. Sheed says something like "What I say!!". "Didn't I tell you the ball wasn't gone lie" and when they are about to shoot you hear "The ball aint gone lIE!!". The guy cracks me up and it works.

People miss wide open shots because they aren't use to seeing them against the Pistons. The Bucks missed a bunch of open shots. So did New Jersey, now the Pacers.

Dynasty, I refuse to believe that any defense is that good. Defense wins championships, but the offense always has the advantage. You can not defend the perfect shot, and the defense has to react to the offense. I used to play on the line in football on offense and I always thought it was such an advantage. We knew where the ball was going... they had to guess.

Yes, a good defense will make you work harder, but the mental stuff is BS. Do you think Larry Bird would miss with Sheed talking? Larry would talk back. This team may need a "We're playing like sissies" speech to liven them up. I almost think we are being a little too politically correct in our interviews as a team. Somebody needs to get mad, and it could spark something. I can't imagine things getting much worse.
    “Seventy percent of me talking on the court is personally for me to get me
    motivated and going. Thirty percent is to see if I can get into the opponent’s head.”
    Reggie Miller

AcneBrain

Yes, a good defense will make you work harder, but the mental stuff is BS. Do you think Larry Bird would miss with Sheed talking? Larry would talk back. This team may need a "We're playing like sissies" speech to liven them up. I almost think we are being a little too politically correct in our interviews as a team. Somebody needs to get mad, and it could spark something. I can't imagine things getting much worse.
    AJ called game 5 "an embarassment to basketball" and they "refuse to play the right way".

I credit the Pstons defense primarily, and the Pistons mental toughness.

The Pacers cannot get any runs going against the Pistons, because everytime they start to get it going, Ben blocks a shot, or Rip hits a tough shot.

It does have a snowball effect though as the Pacers have been very frustrated in this series.

Pacers lack of ECF experience has shown through and that has caued the team to splinter

"Jermaine (O'Neal) made the point when we huddled (Monday) morning: If you're not planning on coming back here for Game 7, don't get on the plane.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

LAPacer

In my wildest dreams, I have:
    - many concubines (which include: salma, eva mendes, halle, angelina, vivica a., gabriel union, jessica alba, claire forlani, krista allen, leann tweeden, jennifer-love hewitt, etc etc)
    - billions in riches
    - a six-pack
    - the pacers win every game they play.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

In my wildest dreams, I have:
    - many concubines (which include: salma, eva mendes, halle, angelina, vivica a., gabriel union, jessica alba, claire forlani, krista allen, leann tweeden, jennifer-love hewitt, etc etc)
    - billions in riches
    - a six-pack
    - the pacers win every game they play.
    Sounds about right, but follow me here...

2 six-packs

Grey

You can not defend the perfect shot, and the defense has to react to the offense. I used to play on the line in football on offense and I always thought it was such an advantage. We knew where the ball was going... they had to guess.
    The Pistons were faced with a similar problem last year. Carlisle is the type of coach who prefers to call set plays on most every possesion. His players don't have a lot of freedom to do whatever they want. That's great for the regular season - but not in the playoffs where the scouting is much better, and the opponent has more time to prepare.

The Pacers know where the ball is going... so do the Pistons.

The Pacers played their best game in the series when Carlisle finally relented and made a significant change to the team's offense. The Pistons weren't ready for it. They were however, ready for it in Game 5.

Unless Carlisle loosens the reigns a bit, his team is going to struggle on offense.

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I have been saying this since game 6 of the heat series and I constanly seems to get worse , with the exeptiong of game 4 in this series and I feel we were lucky to win game 1.