Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ike cleared to practice

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Ike cleared to practice

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...TS04/712150469

Diogu cleared to play

Forward Ike Diogu, out since Nov. 6 with a torn left calf, has been cleared to practice.
    "It was real tough sitting out because I got off to a good start," Diogu said. "I'm antsy to get back out there, but not too antsy because I want to get healed."
    Don't expect to see Diogu in the lineup at Miami tonight or Monday at New York because Pacers coach Jim O'Brien said they don't plan to play him until he's in game shape, which is similar to what they did with Jermaine O'Neal earlier.
    "It means they can go up and down and do all the things that are expected of our big guys, run at full speed and catch at full speed," O'Brien said. "When he's ready to do that he'll be in uniform."
    Diogu is in a tough position because the Pacers haven't had a lot of practice time due to the schedule and a shortage of healthy big men. Jeff Foster returned to the lineup after missing two games with back spasms.

I think Ike's return is going to help us a lot. He gives us a post presence off the bench and maybe he can push Murphy out of the rotation
    Last edited by Mr. Sobchak; 12-15-2007 at 08:56 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Ike cleared to practice

Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

He can't come back soon enough!
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

Well, depending on the results of JO's MRI, we might need him sooner than later...

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by odeez View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He can't come back soon enough!
    Especially with what Shaq did to JO.
    You Got The Tony!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Peskoe97 View Post
    http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...TS04/712150469

I think Ike's return is going to help us a lot. He gives us a post presence off the bench and maybe he can push Murphy out of the rotation
    True but I doubt it would happen. . .JOB seems to like Murphy
    R.I.P. Bernic Mac & Isaac Hayes

1..2..3.. lil old blue sportsmusicxboxpacer's Avatar

ike in means less mins for willams?
    IF YOU A PACER FAN DONT BASH TO THE PACERS..!!!!!

Supposedly Ike was in uniform tonight. Can anybody confirm? I didn't see him on the bench.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by sportsmusicxboxpacer View Post
    ike in means less mins for willams?
    Not sure how Williams' minutes could go down from tonight.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Ike offers more of what the team needs then Williams does, a low post player. Ike taking minutes from Williams is not a bad thing. I like Shawne though, and I'm sure he'll work his way into the rotation consistently in due time. I hope Ike's return first means very little playing time for Murphy. I loved having Ike and J.O. in the preseason before J.O.'s injury. We had a low post player on the floor at all times and it worked well with the inside outside game.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Oneal07 View Post
    Where do you get that? Murph has been in JOB's doghouse already twice this year including one DNP-CD.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Supposedly Ike was in uniform tonight. Can anybody confirm? I didn't see him on the bench.
    Yes, he had his warmups on. I think if the JO injury had happened earlier we might have seen him out there.

No matter how much success Larry Bird attains in Indiana he'll never top that first command to fire Thomas. -Peter Vecsey. NY Post 12/4/07

Mood

I think there is gonna be minutes for SWill. I would like to see if Ike could play minutes at the 5 spot on smaller guys. We could play Ike at the 5, Swill at the 4, Granger at the 3, Rush at the 2 and Tin Man at the 1. I would like this match-up in JOB ball because we would have 3 1/2 (Tinsley 1/2) good shooters on the floor at the same time and still have good length to defend. Substitute Dun for Rush and Murph for Ike and we now have a basketball version of the football spread offense.

The question is: How long will it take him to get back to the same form that he was pre-injury?

I just hope he can come in and contribute big, this team was 3-0 with him in the lineup this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
    Where do you get that? Murph has been in JOB's doghouse already twice this year including one DNP-CD.

I think O'Brien likes the idea of Murphy. Meaning he would like a shooting a power forward who can hit threes, a veteran who can rebound and someone who just knows how to play. (Williams isn't a veteran and is having trouble picking up the team defense)

That is why IMO O'Brien has given Murphy multiple chances and probably will continue to.

What happened to JO, I didn't get to see any of the notes from the Miami game?

Quote Originally Posted by Gyron View Post
    What happened to JO, I didn't get to see any of the notes from the Miami game?
    He had his head surgically removed from his body by Shaq.

Anybody have Youtube video of it yet?

Enjoy your time at PD!

If Ike can play like himself pre-injury that I believe will put a significant dent in those
    massive blown leads. In those cases you need to go to the rack and score or get free throws. Plus Ike has a deadly short jumper.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

From today's Pacers.com regarding Knicks game tonight:

"If O'Neal can't perform, the Pacers may need to lean on Ike Diogu, who was on the active roster Saturday after missing the previous 20 games with a torn left calf muscle."

Quote Originally Posted by "Marv Albert
    YES!!!!!!

Oh yeah.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oneal07 View Post
    Yeah, I don't get it, not with his defense. I think part of it has to do with the inconsistency from Williams. Ike will push 4 out first, but honestly that isn't a ton of minutes at this point. That means Troy's next, I think. I'd much rather see David and Ike working the backup 4/5 with Jeff at the starting 5, no matter what the matchups are.

If Troy could fix his defense I'd welcome his PT, but it's pretty tough to watch right now, at least most of the time. I thought JOB was a +/- guy as well, and Troy's +/- has been pretty bad most of the year.

Think about this - Murph played MORE than Tinsley vs the Knicks. Better depth - PG or PF/C? Oh, and vs Miami he got 12 more minutes than Foster despite 2-7 from the floor and Jeff getting the same amount of boards in those 12 less minutes and obviously being the better defender.

I just don't understand, unless it's trade boosting time, and that's a hellava lot of boosting to be done.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 12-18-2007 at 03:28 AM.

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Some Stats for the Bigs:

Player Season Averages per Minute Played
    Per MinPtsAsstsRBsBlksStlsShotsTOsPFs
    O'Neal.530.080.240.052.024.460.091.127O'Neal
    Murphy.412.070.258.021.023.345.046.104Murphy
    Foster.251.053.349.010.025.206.025.101Foster
    Diogu.586.043.186.014.029.400.086.143Diogu

Better offense from Ike for sure....I'm not sure we pick up that much defensively vs Murphy. Be nice to think so. And Ike's numbers are only from the 3 games he played in...improvement can still be expected.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

Ike Diogu might play tomorrow night.

TRENDS
    The Pacers are 5-0 with Ike Diogu in uniform (3-0 to start the season while Diogu averaged 13.7 points and 4.3 rebounds off the bench, 2-0 in the last two games with Diogu active but not playing). In between, Diogu missed 20 games with a torn left calf muscle…

INJURIES
    Pacers -
    None reported.
    Sixers - C Herbert Hill (torn cartilage in left knee) is out.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Yeah, I don't get it, not with his defense. I think part of it has to do with the inconsistency from Williams. Ike will push 4 out first, but honestly that isn't a ton of minutes at this point. That means Troy's next, I think. I'd much rather see David and Ike working the backup 4/5 with Jeff at the starting 5, no matter what the matchups are.

If Troy could fix his defense I'd welcome his PT, but it's pretty tough to watch right now, at least most of the time. I thought JOB was a +/- guy as well, and Troy's +/- has been pretty bad most of the year.

Think about this - Murph played MORE than Tinsley vs the Knicks. Better depth - PG or PF/C? Oh, and vs Miami he got 12 more minutes than Foster despite 2-7 from the floor and Jeff getting the same amount of boards in those 12 less minutes and obviously being the better defender.

I just don't understand, unless it's trade boosting time, and that's a hellava lot of boosting to be done.
    If I was of this team I would give Williams the minutes over Murphy the reason is simply Williams I think has the most offensive potential on this team offensively and i want to see more Williams and Granger at the 3 and 4 positions.Williams is the future and i would like to see that future very soon.

That being said having somebody like Murphy who some are saying should be out of the rotation is a great situation to have. We have quality big men at the four and five positions. foster, Oneal,Granger,Williams,Diagu, Murphy and Harrison have all contributed this season for us.

Murphy is not a bad player, sure he has a bad contract and defensively hes below average for what I want in a powerforward but he is still an effective player, he can rebound , and when his shot is falling he adds another dimension for this team. He hasn't played great for us but everytime hes out there he around a double/double 8-10pts and 6-8boards is not to bad at all, now if we could get him to shoot more consistantly.You could do alot worse then he.