Thread: Interesting stat in Warriors article

Default Interesting stat in Warriors article

Don't worry, this thread isn't another Warriors/Jackson discussion, but I did see the Pacers mentioned and wasn't sure if this exact stat had been mentioned before:

http://www.contracostatimes.com/ci_7...nclick_check=1

(sorry, tried to post a formatted version of the entire article but the internet owned me again. I shortened it to the part that pertains to Indy).

For several games now, the Warriors have grown more and more frustrated by what they see as a lack of calls when they're getting whacked going to the basket. Despite the driving mentality engendered by their small-ball attack, the Warriors are tied for 18th in free throws per game, at 25.5. Defensively, they're giving up 29.9 foul shots per game, which ranks 29th. The difference of minus-4.4 free-throw attempts is third-worst in the league, ahead of Indiana and Minnesota.

So, according to this, Indiana is either 29th or last place regarding free throw disparity. Do the officials have it out for us, or are we just that bad at getting to the line this season? I guess it's a combination of both, but it's still disappointing to see us down there. At least we're still a really good rebounding team
    Last edited by D23; 12-14-2007 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Advertisements

Default Re: Interesting stat in Warriors article

The Pacers definitely have a deficit versus their opponents in free throw attempts. But are they getting more shots than they should or are we getting fewer?

How many free throw attempts do you consider normal? The Pacers are averaging 26.4 per game. They've had 5 games with 30 or more FTA and only 2 with fewer than 20 FTA.

\

One other factor: Maybe the Pacers fouled a lot early as they learned O'Brien's defensive scheme. In the first 5 games, they gave 12 more fouls than the opponent -- in 2 of those games they gave 24 more FTA than they got. That has settled down to 6 more FTA for the opponent in the last 5 games.

The Pacers have gotten to the line more than their opponent only 5 times so far this season, and are 3-2 in those games.
    Last edited by Putnam; 12-14-2007 at 11:12 AM.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

We also have slow-footed defenders who don't react well to dribble penetration and big men that like trying to block every shot.

Those two things cause fouls in ways that have nothing to do with "the officials having it out for us."
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by D23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So, according to this, Indiana is either 29th or last place regarding free throw disparity. Do the officials have it out for us, or are we just that bad at getting to the line this season? I guess it's a combination of both, but it's still disappointing to see us down there. At least we're still a really good rebounding team
    Gnome and I were talking the other day and I mentioned this. I was at 82games checking my +/- vs theirs and started looking at all the numbers. Most areas on the team aspect looked good or at least even (FG%, REB%, TO%). The one stat that stood out was FTAs, it's bad.

First they aren't getting their own and second they are fouling a lot. Add to this that they are giving up 1-2 FTAs on lane violations per game and you are looking at something like 6 extra FTAs per game. In terms of FG% they are staying close with teams, but the FTs are killing them.

http://www.82games.com/0708/0708IND3.HTM

Currently the Pacers are 13th getting to the line but dead last in FTAs allowed.

They are 2nd in FGAs but 21st in FGAs allowed.

Let's look at in terms of drawing fouls per shot. The Pacers are getting 3.04 FTAs for every 10 FGAs (and btw, the Warriors ranked 25th in this stat so they have only a minor complaint). That's 19th in the NBA, so not great at drawing fouls (ahem, lots of jump shooting because you are open).

On defense they are LAST, much worse than even the average teams. They are giving up 3.88 FTAs for every 10 FGAs an opponent gets. It's not just a defense thing either as Orlando and San Antonio are both under 2.70 per. BTW, Orlando is 2nd in FG% defense which is why I mentioned them. 3rd? Pacers.

So the pace is up, they and their opponents get tons of shots. The problem is that they aren't getting shots that draw fouls and at the other end they are hacking like crazy. Even if you take out something like 30 lane violation tech fouls you still find them in the bottom 5 of fouls per shot attempted.

Also on the offensive side, JOB loves the adjusted FG% since it shows the real effect of your pure shooting. Unfortunately the Pacers aren't hitting the 3 well enough to make this happen. Right now they are still only 16th in Adj. FG%. Now add in the bland FTAs drawn and you get an equally unimpressive 16th in PPS.

The offense hasn't been great and the defense is being hurt by fouling, though is otherwise solid. This includes being 5th in creating TOs, 4th in shots blocked and 11th in steals (not adjusted for pace however). Of course they turn it over more than they create them.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 12-14-2007 at 02:56 PM.

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

PF/Min

.109Granger
    .070Dunleavy
    .117O'Neal
    .075Tinsley
    .107Murphy
    .098Foster
    .118Williams
    .065Daniels
    .092Rush
    .143Diogu
    .110Diener
    .261Harrison
    .128Owens
    .111Graham
    .182Sims
    .104TEAM

Personal fouls per minute on the floor, thru 22 games.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

I think the FT disparity is due to us taking quick open shots, rather than a setup offense that tries to get the ball in the paint where most fouls are committed.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

They do tend to smack people who are about to get layups and dunks. That adds free throws while possibly reducing total points...

I think some of it has to do with the fact that we don't have a star player who can always be counted on to get a call.

lol.

we took 10 free throws today.

what a joke

AUSTRALIA'S NO.1 PACER FAN

Gotta Play Big

For such a good player, JO certainly does not get calls. But there's a reason for that...or maybe two.

One, he fades away too much...and overall has a finesse game...not a physical one...on offense. Two, he spent his first 10 years complaining to the officials following in the footsteps of his hero - Rasheed - and they got sick of it.