Thread: Edge gets a superbowl ring

Default Edge gets a superbowl ring

Edge gets a ring
    Kent Somers
    The Arizona Republic
    Dec. 13, 2007 12:00 AM

Running back Edgerrin James spent his first seven NFL seasons with Indianapolis, but he left in 2006 and wasn't part of the Colts championship team last year. At least not officially.

Word came out of Indianapolis this week that Coach Tony Dungy gave James a Super Bowl ring, a move that James confirmed Wednesday.

"I'll cherish that forever," said James, who made it clear that he won't wear the ring.

"I'll put it up high, and hopefully someday I'll match it."
    http://www.azcentral.com/sports/card...rdsnb1213.html

Very classy move by Dungy.
    Last edited by Moses; 12-13-2007 at 05:17 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Edge gets a superbowl ring

How many of these rings do the Colts have? Between giving them out to fans and ex-players, it seems like quite a few.
    "I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right."

Wonder if I can get one.

But I am glad Edge got a ring. Would we have made it to this point without him? I don't think so. He was such an important piece in getting this franchise to where it is now. Without Edge do we have the type of system that we can immediately plug in Joseph Addai?

That's a nice jester, I guess he deserves it.

I have an honest question for you guys. Answer it honestly.

How many of you were about to throw your T.V off the stand/wall when the Colts drafted Edgerrin over Ricky Williams?

1999 was a badass draft class, Defense and Offense. Bailey and McAlister were both in that draft if I remember right.

Quote Originally Posted by BoomBaby31 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How many of you were about to throw your T.V off the stand/wall when the Colts drafted Edgerrin over Ricky Williams?
    Since I'm not really a Colts fan I wouldn't put it that way exactly but I thought it was a bad move - and I can't think of a single Colts fan I talked to around then who wouldn't have taken Williams.

And remember how there was a big debate over Ryan Leaf vs Peyton during their draft year? For whatever reason, the Colts have really done a nice job in the draft over the past 8 years or so. Even this year I didn't see Ugoh as the right pick that early.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

I will never forget the year we drafted Edge. One of my good friends swore up and down the colts would draft games and how he was such a bada## and no one would listen to him. I just remember Ricky pounding people in college and was a little upset about the pick. But then I remember Polian's record and thought, "Well, he knows what he is doing" Guess he did.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I remember the 1999 draft, i thought for sure we were going to take Ricky. I remember seeing him on the cover of SI and just going to my brother and saying, your looking at the newest Eagle right there. Then we took McNabb. I didnt flip like most people cause well, i was only 9 years old, but i certainly didnt understand it. Worked out well though.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

I was thrilled with the pick personally. I liked the less wear on him coming out of college.

My rant at the time was the if the Saints were going to throw 10K picks at a team to get Ricky then the Colts should have done the deal with NO and Chicago instead.

Washington moved the #5 into the #7 (Chicago's) and a ton of extra picks. Do the same with Indy and you get:

#4 - Ricky to NO
    #5 - Washington still takes Bailey since they have a stud RB in Stephen Davis (1400 yds in 1999) and need CB help bad, Champ is a defensive playmaker on par with Edge
    #6 - Rams. Duh, they just traded FOR Faulk. They take Holt still.

And there sit the Colts still getting Edge AND getting a ton of Saints picks too. Polian gets tons of praise for the good call, but he left this monster HR on the table and needs to be called on it. That trade had to have buzz on the vine, the Colts HAD to have gotten that phone call from the Saints.

At the very worst the Colts still get Bailey or Holt and have plenty of picks to work with in order to address RB needs. Imagine Marvin/Holt pulling a Rams style attack with Manning. And the Saints gave the Skins the #2 pick the next year as well. That could have been Jamal Lewis, or even Arrington instead of Rob Morris much later.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 12-14-2007 at 04:43 PM.

I even remember exactly where I was during the draft - the "Hard Rock Cafe" in San Juan, PR. I let out a big 'whoop!" when I realized Ricky had fallen to us.

Then I went "who? what just happened?" when we took Edge.

But, like Seth, my next thought was "why didn't we take all those draft picks from the Saints?"

Then I had another beer. Dang, that was a good vacation. Lately, newspaper mentioned cheap airfare. I gotta fly to St. Somewhere...
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

What a nice move.

Edge is a classy guy all around and was a great addition to the team and our town. I miss his personality.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Is there precedent for this? Personally I think this is kind of a strange move.

Edge wanted money so he went to Arizona. He got his money for a jobber team and forfeited his shot at a ring. You could say he was honestly there to try to make that team better, but this is the Arizona Cardinals we're talking about. The history of that franchise is outright abysmal.

I loved Edge when he was here and I respected his decision to leave, I mean he deserved the longterm money. At the same time he made a conscious decision to leave Indianapolis.
    Already stoked for 2013-2014.

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post

Edge wanted money so he went to Arizona. He got his money for a jobber team and forfeited his shot at a ring. You could say he was honestly there to try to make that team better, but this is the Arizona Cardinals we're talking about. The history of that franchise is outright abysmal.

I loved Edge when he was here and I respected his decision to leave, I mean he deserved the longterm money. At the same time he made a conscious decision to leave Indianapolis.
    Edge wanted to stay in Indy. The Colts just wanted to use the money elsewhere. It's not like Edge really wanted to leave...the salary cap just kind of forced him to. When you consider the average career span of NFL RBs, you can't really blame him.

Yeah, as an NFL running back you usually have one shot at big money. I don't blame anyone, especially one of my three favorite Colts ever, for taking the cash when he can.

And especially given how Edge came up, you can't blame him for wanting long-term financial security.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post

I agree with you, it is a strange move. I think that some of the current players might not view this with love in their hearts for Edge. I personaly did not like Edge because of the drama around his disdain for summer camp and preseason games. I think Edge was looking out for himself rather than any team goals.

Quote Originally Posted by BoomBaby31 View Post
    That's a nice jester, I guess he deserves it.

I have an honest question for you guys. Answer it honestly.

1999 was a badass draft class, Defense and Offense. Bailey and McAlister were both in that draft if I remember right.
    Yes, and no. But it's still a nice jester by Dungy, and I can understand why he did it.

Yes, because the Edge had been such a large of getting the Colts to becoming a Super Bowl caliber team and to have released him the summer before they made it to the big dance...

No, because as much as he helped build the team, he wasn't part of that Super Bowl winning team.

This was a jester of symphathy as well as respect for a player who gave the team so much but became a victim of the money crunch and by no fault of his own just wasn't there to see part of what his hard work helped to create. Regardless, classy move by Dungy.