Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What we have learned from game #1

Default What we have learned from game #1

I was really nervous about game #1. I feared that the Pistons agressiveness defensively might be a shock to ther Pacers.

But the Heat helped prepare the Pacers. Clearly the Pistons are better than the Heat, no doubt, but the Heat play as hard, they just don't have the number of big guys the Pstons have.

What have we learned.

1) Pistons full court pressure will not be a factor at Conseco Fieldhouse. Pacers did a great job, by J.O and Foster getting down court and having the guard throw the ball in, it cleared Ben and Sheed from pressuring, and Tinsley has no trouble getting the ball up court agaisnt Billups, even AJ did fairly well.

2) Pacers have more offensive weapons than the Pistons. Pistons rely so much on outside shots, while the pacers go inside time and time again. That gets the pacers to the free throw line more often and that is huge in these low scoring games

3) Pistons have the advantage in the backcourt. If Billups hit a few shots in the 2nd half the whole game is different.

4) Prince is intimidated by Artest. I could see it tonight, whenever Artest was guarding Prince , and prince had the ball he was anxious to get rid of it. Prince scored all his points when Ronnie was not guarding him.

5) Rip cannot beat Artest off the dribble, and he should not try, but he can beat Artest by running him off 2 or three screens. Regie is better than Ron at staying with Rip through all those picks.

6) If Billups backs down Tinsley inside of 15 feet, help must come, otherwise he will score.

7) Tinsley is really gotten good at those little runners in the lane and if he is aggressive at gettign into the lane the Pistons seem surprised that he is hitting those shots.

8) I am more confident that the Pacers will win this series after watching this game tonight. Not just because the pacers won, though game #1's are huge, but because the Pistons defense while excellent was not able to stop the pacers offense as well as I feared. J.O missed a lot of good shots, and Ronnie needs to make a slight adjustment on the tyope of shots he takes, and then he'll be fine.

Default Re: What we have learned from game #1

I too was pleasantly surprised at how many good looks the Pacers got tonight. I feared that Detriot's superior defense would really put the shackles on us and even the decent looks would be really hotly contested (I remember how the Knicks used to be able to make us look helpless for long stretches). JO in particular was shockingly open from mid-range numerous times. He's been pretty reliable from there this season, so I hope that trend continues. Artest was able to get in the paint all game long, and I agree that a few adjustments to Detriot's help defense and he should either be able to get better shots kick it out for a better shot. Tinsley was able to get free as well, and the Pacers got quite a few open '3's.

Well said unclebuck!

I think the Pacers will continue to get the open looks and they just need to relax and knock them down. Seemed like we were rushing the mid range jumpers for fear of the block.

The other thing we need to do is keep moving the ball to the open man. We bogged our offense down with one on one post up crap (with no rebounding support) in the 3rd qtr and nearly blew this game.

Encouraging was how we were still able to score 48 points in the first half after the 3-19 start. We did that by moving the ball and penetrating and dishing to the open man. Continue this type of offense vs. the one on one plays!

Water

After that game you guys are encouraged by your offense against the Pistons D? I guess I must have been watching a different game! I mean, you may not shoot as bad as 34% in the future, but I think it will be hard to crack 40. Everything's relative I guess, since Indiana's defense was pretty good too.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

As I said in the questions thread and others, staying away from the quick jumper and continuing to pound it inside no matter what is the only way we'll get through this series. All season, when we've lost big leads it has been because we suddenly turn into Jumper Bonanza, bricking outside shots and letting the opponent turn the subsequent rebound into a score. With an opponent like the Pistons, where both teams will be fighting tooth and nail for every point, we simply can't do that here.

Theme of this series? "Just Pound It."
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

After that game you guys are encouraged by your offense against the Pistons D? I guess I must have been watching a different game! I mean, you may not shoot as bad as 34% in the future, but I think it will be hard to crack 40. Everything's relative I guess, since Indiana's defense was pretty good too.

Pacers have won two straight games shooting less than 34%. Yes it will be hard to crack 40% shooting in this series, but we knew that going in. That is why getting to the free throw line is so so huge

I agree that free throws will be important. I figure that Indiana will get more attempts in Indiana, and Detroit will get more in Detroit.

I was impressed by Jermaine O'Neal's free throw shooting (until the last two of course). I didn't expect him to make as many as he did.

It was also surprising that Miller and Billups, who ranked 5th and 6th in the league from the line this year, both missed one of two near the end of the game.

I was really encouraged by Tinsley's play. He was able to ga where ever he wanted to on the court.

A lot of Piston fans on the board at the time discounted Tin's absenence from the After Wallace meeting. Clearly against the Detroit pressure Tin's makes a huge difference.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Liquid Slap

Gotta remember too, it's only game one. Each team gets to look at play tapes and adjust for the next game. It will be a different ball game on Monday. I still don't know who will win; but it will be totally different.

Gotta remember too, it's only game one. Each team gets to look at play tapes and adjust for the next game. It will be a different ball game on Monday. I still don't know who will win; but it will be totally different.
    I don't know. It's not like either team is going to stray too far away from what got them here: DEFENSE! I expect another hard-fought, banging, grabbing, clawing struggle. Probably not much different from game 1.

If I'm the Pistons, I'm OK with game one - close game, in it 'til the very end. Had a chance to steal it. Probably figure if all games at Indiana are like that they'll win one of them and if they hold home court, that gives them the seriers.

If I'm Indiana, I'm also happy with game one. We won, of course, but we also were able to maintain an inside presence against the tough Pistons D. We also matched their intensity defensively. We maintained our composure, stuck to our game plan, and made the players when we needed to. (sorry for all the cliches)

Sure, they'll be some minor adjustments. Detroit will try to get 'sheed going a bit more and what not. Indiana might tweek a few things. But overall I think both teams played about the way they want to.

This is going to be a great series. And hopefully a great rivalry for years to come.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

Sports Logo

I am pretty satisfied with our chances. If you consider that Ronnie played like total crap for the first half and never really got into sort of an offensive rythem and we won anyway than you cant worry too much. I was very encouraged to see Tinsley come in at the 9:35 mark rather than wait untill the 7:30 like normal.

They had only scored 2 points the entire time AJ was on the floor the second stint and it was getting ugly. Usually he would have waited untill it was either too late or just barely enough time. This time he was Johnny on the spot and that was good to see. I did think AJ played too much in the first half but we won so it does not matter.

One thing no one has made a big deal about was turnovers. If the Pacers win that category as they clearly did last night that is huge and if the rebounding is close, Pacers will be in good shape

One thing no one has made a big deal about was turnovers. If the Pacers win that category as they clearly did last night that is huge and if the rebounding is close, Pacers will be in good shape
    I, in fact, mentioned turnover in your "questions before the game" thread as the key stat.

King Mob

Man! What a game. My thoughts on your thoughts:

1) Pistons full court pressure will not be a factor at Conseco Fieldhouse. Pacers did a great job, by J.O and Foster getting down court and having the guard throw the ball in, it cleared Ben and Sheed from pressuring, and Tinsley has no trouble getting the ball up court agaisnt Billups, even AJ did fairly well.

The full court pressure won't be a factor because we've gone away from it in the playoffs. In the regular season we would bring in James and Hunter at the tail end of the 1st to harrass the backup PG into TOs and 8 sec violations. It was successful because it James and Hunter are great ballhawks (Hunter is considered one of the best in the league) and it was usually against the backup PG, although we also had sucess against starters. But in the playoffs the starters on both sides are playing more mins; Rip and Chauncey aren't nearly as good at pressuring the ball, and they're doing it against much better PGs.

2) Pacers have more offensive weapons than the Pistons. Pistons rely so much on outside shots, while the pacers go inside time and time again. That gets the pacers to the free throw line more often and that is huge in these low scoring games

Had Rasheed been healthy, that would have been playing right into our hands, because our biggest strength was interior defense. The teams we used to have problems with were teams with great outside shooting. But Sheed is struggling to keep his man from backing him down, and the Pacers are taking advantage of that.

3) Pistons have the advantage in the backcourt. If Billups hit a few shots in the 2nd half the whole game is different.

Agree. Although I get the feeling Bender is going to give us fits.

4) Prince is intimidated by Artest. I could see it tonight, whenever Artest was guarding Prince , and prince had the ball he was anxious to get rid of it. Prince scored all his points when Ronnie was not guarding him.

You're mistaking Prince's natural (and incredibly aggrivating) passivity for fear. With the exclusion of the Milwaukee series, Prince has not been aggresive at any point during the regular season, that's why such a big deal was made of his fantastic play in the first round, and subsequent vanishing act in the second. The Prince you saw in game one is the one we watched the whole regular season: if he sees an opportunity, he'll take it, but he's not the type to try make something happen, whether he's being D'ed up by Artest or Wally Sczcerbiak. He'll make the pass.

5) Rip cannot beat Artest off the dribble, and he should not try, but he can beat Artest by running him off 2 or three screens. Regie is better than Ron at staying with Rip through all those picks.

6) If Billups backs down Tinsley inside of 15 feet, help must come, otherwise he will score.

Agree with both.

7) Tinsley is really gotten good at those little runners in the lane and if he is aggressive at gettign into the lane the Pistons seem surprised that he is hitting those shots.

Those runners look like charges waiting to happen IMO...I suspect if Lindsay had played, he'd have collected one or two.

8) I am more confident that the Pacers will win this series after watching this game tonight. Not just because the pacers won, though game #1's are huge, but because the Pistons defense while excellent was not able to stop the pacers offense as well as I feared. J.O missed a lot of good shots, and Ronnie needs to make a slight adjustment on the tyope of shots he takes, and then he'll be fine.

Similarly, I think the Pistons still have a good shot in the series. We played you tough in your own house for 47 minutes and 3 seconds, And were in a position to win it despite 19 turnovers and poor play from our PG. If we can just figure out a way to contain that Artest fella...

I, in fact, mentioned turnover in your "questions before the game" thread as the key stat.
    Hicks, I can just sit here mesmerized and watch your avatar over and over again. Is there anyway to get the video clip where we see JO run up and drape his arm over Reg's head right after he made that shot. Anyway you can get it for me to put in my avatar?

Hicks, I can just sit here mesmerized and watch your avatar over and over again. Is there anyway to get the video clip where we see JO run up and drape his arm over Reg's head right after he made that shot. Anyway you can get it for me to put in my avatar?
    I think so; I'll have to look again.

bullet, here's what I came up with.

Hope you like it.

Hope you like it.

I love it, but I put it in my avatar space in my profile and it looks like it didn't take. All I see is the red X.

Hope you like it.

I love it, but I put it in my avatar space in my profile and it looks like it didn't take. All I see is the red X.
    It's because you kept the (minus the *'s) [*img][/img] tags.

Just type or copy this and it will work:

http://www.pacersdigest.com/bulletproof3.gif

Back on subject, I learned that this board is incredibly good at scouting a game when it wants to be. Just about any wrinkle I noticed in the game was already hypothesized on here.

Also, I learned that my voice doesn't hold up like it used to. I'm doing my best not to talk at all to try and get it back before tomorrow night (this every-other-day thing is just murder on fans ).

And lastly, note my new sig below.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Kegboy, classic sig

One thing, the Pistons don't have anyone on their team they can just give the ball and let him go to work, everything is off an offensive play.

woman without a team

Also, I learned that my voice doesn't hold up like it used to. I'm doing my best not to talk at all to try and get it back before tomorrow night (this every-other-day thing is just murder on fans ).
    See what happens when you don't cheer during the regular season.

whether he's being D'ed up by Artest or Wally Sczcerbiak.

Man, that's great. If you weren't a Pistons fan, I'd say you should post more often.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

as usual, nice post UB..

but one thing though, I thought prince played a good game... he played within the flow of the game, didnt force anything.. of course it has something to do with artest also... but he didnt get a lot of touches because they go to billups and rip more..

also, I think prince played very good defence on artest... artest missed alot of layup he usually makes.. again, I think it is because of prince's length..

I just think artest has to DOMINATE this match up for the pacers to have a chance....

cheers

On Topic:

That if we shoot better, we can score on Detroit....Reg, Ron, JO (2nd half) all missed alot of open looks.....

That our "weak spots"....Jamaal, Reg, Foster can beat you.

That our defense is as good as any in the NBA....it has to be if we can win back to back playoff games while shooting around 35% in both.

Jamaal can get to the lane anytime he wants,,,,JO can score on anyone in Detroits interior.

Detroit will turn the ball over if played tightly on defense....they get caught off their feet with nowhere to pass. This was true before our series as well.

Off Topic:

Is there a player.... fully healthy right now? No..... I'm personally tired of hearing about Rasheeds Vagina sprain....

Lots of guys out there playing hurt....