Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rant on Pacer Coverage in Indianapolis

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Rant on Pacer Coverage in Indianapolis

Maybe it's just me but the following things really bug me!!

1. Quinn and Chris talking to Lin Dunn for what seemed like 6 minutes while the game was going on missing several plays including a tech on JOBIE.
    2. Bad TV coverage, showing closeups of players, coaches, fans, popcorn vendors, etc while missing plays in the game!
    3. Quinn & Chris ignoring the game to talk about upcoming events or other side issues while missing plays in the game.
    4. Very negative reporting on the part of the Indianapolis Media. I didn't realize how bad it was til I came to Houston for the winter. Coverage is much better, no cheap shots, just good coverage.
    5. Oh yes ---- the annoying little pop up ads during the game...

There I feel better!!!

Default Re: Rant on Pacer Coverage in Indianapolis

Those pop up ads do drive me crazy, I'm always trying to look over, around or under those.

Basketball is an easy game to televise, so there is never an excuse for missing any live action.

I like Clark a lot more than Quinn.

Luckily though they have stopped the 4th quarter shootout - that was giving away a free 19 inch TV - That drove me crazy every channel 4 game.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Those pop up ads do drive me crazy, I'm always trying to look over, around or under those.

Basketball is an easy game to televise, so there is never an excuse for missing any live action.

Luckily though they have stopped the 4th quarter shootout - that was giving away a free 19 inch TV - That drove me crazy every channel 4 game.
    I liked the 4th quarter shootout!

Why don't you turn down the sound and listen to the radio?

You have the same number of commercials on the radio, and they're also annoying. But M. Boyle and B. Leonard cover the game like a blanket.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Well the Coach Dunn thing is understandable. She was just named the new coach of the Indiana Fever. The Fever are owned by the PS&E. I also can't stand the closeups etc... while somebody is flying down the court on a fast break. I don't mind QB that much but I still wish Bake was doing the TV coverage instead of Denari. You can't watch the game and listen to Mark & Slick anymore. They don't sync up. The radio broadcast is always 10-15 seconds ahead. Same with Lamey and the Colts. I used to do this religiously but it's just too much to take anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Goldfoot View Post
    You can't watch the game and listen to Mark & Slick anymore. They don't sync up. The radio broadcast is always 10-15 seconds ahead.

Didn't know that! Thanks for clarifying.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I can't listen to the radio since I'm out of town, I get the Pacers games on my satellite so I'm stuck with that.

What ever happened to the announcers who would tell you what is going on in the game....how many points, fouls, matchups, etc instead of yapping about some guys aunt who bakes cookies for orphans. (yes I know that is an exageration)

I have League Pass and I turn the sound off and tune in to Mark and Slick on the radio. (It's free on NBA.com) The radio broadcast is ten seconds behind, not ahead, but I do it anyway. You get used to it.

STORY; One time last week I went to the bathroom during the game. When I came back Mark was describing exactly what was happening on the TV screen. It confused me for several seconds because the game Mark was calling was delayed when I went to the bathroom. What happened was the TV was showing a reply and it just happened to dovetail perfectly with the radio broadcast.

I've noticed this too -- last night they were shooting the crap for a few minutes while there was a technical (I think it was for defensive formation), but they were joking around about something stupid (Quinn was laughing about something), and a few minutes went by without any comments on the game. I'm not a big fan of Quinn, and the other guy is decent, but not as good as Al.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

The one way to synch is to use the net radio version that is a little behind the sat/cable delay and then pause/ffwd the TV version till it matches, if you have that option. Unfortunately I mostly watch downstairs away from the CPU.

QB is a bit better lately, but Clark is still much better IMO. Unfortunately CBS noticed that too.

QB has made some very nice strategy calls lately. A few games ago he mentioned that Granger could blow up his man (paraphrase) and about 3 seconds later Danny got up on the guy and stole the ball easily.

On interviews I wish they'd just stop to acknowledge stuff that's big. Certainly the guest understands the context and should expect a breakaway when it's needed.

And need I mention the disgusting picture quality. You put that feed on a 52" and it makes you want to puke. Then I flip to the HD of DET/HOU and it doubles my outrage. As blurry as the FSN feed is they might as well use nothing BUT closeups.

I was thinking the same thing as you all until I got the NBA package.Trust me our local coverage isn't that bad. That said I do believe they've gone downhill since the days of Al Albert and Scott Haskins(?).

The indiana feed isn't that bad. IMO. they seem knowledgeable about the things they are talking about. . and don't seem too one sided. Unlike Cleveland, Denver etc. Raps also has one of the best broadcasters in the NBA IMO. They are fun to listen to, unless Jack Armstrong is annoying. He gives too many cheap shots sometimes
    R.I.P. Bernic Mac & Isaac Hayes

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

What's so bad about awarding a fan?

I understand it took away from our commentators talking about the game but it wasn't that long. Now when they've interviewed people this year, they've taken a long time in some cases and that does bother me.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

I just came back to Georgia from Veedersburg, IN. (Western IN, between Terre Haute and Lafayette....or I74 and US41 if that helps). The local cable company will NOT carry FSN-Indiana, because they're cheap, or principled, or something. Ditto for Big Ten Network.

I went to a tavern over there that 'had the satellite' and watched the Suns game. The bartender said he has Comcast in Crawfordsville, and does not get FSN-I, but DOES get FSN-Ohio....this is well west of Indy, remember.

Meanwhile, I get all the above while living in Georgia.

Be happy if you can see the games at all, I guess is the moral here....aw the heck with that. I hate moral lessons.

It's just wierd. That's all.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

BBBBBBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I'm with Buck on the TV thing. Not the prize idea, but the fact that when they said 19" TV I heard Dueling Banjos start its slow Deliverance cue.

"Welcome to Indianer, we got one o them new fangled color picture boxes. And Jeb's Pub has the satellite now too."

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    I have League Pass and I turn the sound off and tune in to Mark and Slick on the radio. (It's free on NBA.com) The radio broadcast is ten seconds behind, not ahead, but I do it anyway. You get used to it.
    You know if you have a DVR box you could pause it 10 secs at the begining of the game and improve the sync. Just a thought.
    No matter how much success Larry Bird attains in Indiana he'll never top that first command to fire Thomas. -Peter Vecsey. NY Post 12/4/07

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Shack80 View Post
    You know if you have a DVR box you could pause it 10 secs at the begining of the game and improve the sync. Just a thought.
    I've done it. Works pretty well.

The one thing I don't like about the FSN Indiana broadcasts are when they interview the opposing teams MVP after a loss by us. It seems like other FSN stations don't do this so much. It drives me crazy to see them interview the other teams players after we have lost, I don't want to hear from them. Maybe it's just me.
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

Bumping this for the positive spin the Pacers got for Xmas. Big JO photo on the front of the sports section discussion sports charities. Also the first part of the year recap featuring a JOB photo and a fairly positive spin on the trade/coaching situation this last year.

Finally I didn't feel like the Star wanted me to hate the Pacers.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyMac View Post
    I can't listen to the radio since I'm out of town, I get the Pacers games on my satellite so I'm stuck with that.

What ever happened to the announcers who would tell you what is going on in the game....how many points, fouls, matchups, etc instead of yapping about some guys aunt who bakes cookies for orphans. (yes I know that is an exageration)
    They are in every other NBA city except Indy.

I kid you not, we have the worse anouncers (Stacy Paetz excluded) in the league. I actually enjoy the road games where I get the commentary from the opposing team's announcers. They know quite a lot about the Pacers - some things I didn't know about the Pacers players I've found out by watching the other team's broadcast.

Denari and Quinn come across as Homers and I grow tired of QB's constant explanation of what this player was "trying" to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

I turn off the sound on my TV and tune into 'Listen Live,' on NBA.com. It's free, and it's right under the scoreboard.

That gives you the choice of both teams radio announcers and I always tune in to Mark and Slick, even though they are on a 10 second delay.

Slick confesses to being a homer, but he still tells it like it is. And I like Mark's no nonsense approach. They are the best from my viewpoint!

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    They are in every other NBA city except Indy.

I kid you not, we have the worse anouncers (Stacy Paetz excluded) in the league.
    I've just got to go to bat for Quinn and Denari and Clark Kellogg, when he's there. I think just the opposite...maybe the best, or among the best. The NY crew is good (if you don't tire of the immaculate and explicatory clarifications); the Kings crew's not bad, but I think Quinn and Clark totally have the goods, and Denari is pro enough, and has a player's background as well.

Maybe there's a homesick factor at work here...being in GA, I really look forward to hearing the old home team broacast....

For road games, I'll often go to Slick and the tv mute button.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

Denari and Buckner are awful. Definitely amongst the worst.

I find Kellogg to be a little better than Quinn but he still doesn't make the broadcast substantially more appealing.

streets ahead

you need to watch a nuggets broadcast. ouch.
    This is the darkest timeline.