Thread: Bobby Petrino quits as Falcons head coach, is a jerk

Default Bobby Petrino quits as Falcons head coach, is a jerk

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3150783

Seriously, this is disgusting. To just up and leave on a team when they're in a bad spot, after you've signed a FIVE YEAR CONTRACT. We need to have rules in pro sports that if a coach leaves before his contract is done he can't come back for five years.

College players lose a year of eligibility when they transfer and pro players are bound to their contracts no matter what, but coaches can just up and leave when they feel like it.

I hate this system.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Bobby Petrino quits as Falcons head coach, is a jerk

I don't know who in their right mind would take the Atlanta job. I don't know their GM situation at all but it seems like they need a substantial shakeup upstairs before anyone can be an effective coach there. Petrino leaving shows that the lack of confidence that many must have in upper management.

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know who in their right mind would take the Atlanta job. I don't know their GM situation at all but it seems like they need a substantial shakeup upstairs before anyone can be an effective coach there. Petrino leaving shows that the lack of confidence that many must have in upper management.
    Well believe it or not, the Falcons already have the players in place to run a pretty effective zone blocking scheme. When Petrino came in, he got rid of all the old personnel (Alex Gibbs, etc) and hired his own guys to start a new offensive system. His system didn't work to well because the players in Atlanta were still designed around Mora's old offensive scheme (tons of zone blocking vs petrinos power blocking). If the Falcons rehired Gibbs and got a coach who would stick with the zone blocking scheme, I think they wouldn't be that bad of a rushing team...sure they wouldn't be great, but it would be a foundation to build around.

And believe it or not, nobody here in Atlanta really even cares he's gone. People were starting to dislike him and many of the veteran players felt like they were being thrown under the bus by midseason...especially after he cut Grady Jackson.

Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3150783

Seriously, this is disgusting. To just up and leave on a team when they're in a bad spot, after you've signed a FIVE YEAR CONTRACT. We need to have rules in pro sports that if a coach leaves before his contract is done he can't come back for five years.

College players lose a year of eligibility when they transfer and pro players are bound to their contracts no matter what, but coaches can just up and leave when they feel like it.

I hate this system.
    Coaches can get fired at any time, despite having a FIVE YEAR CONTRACT. And I'm pretty sure he can't come back to the pros without the Falcons permission (just like SVG and Orlando).

Better for him to quit, he wasn't any good and now Atlanta won't have to pay his salary. Plus, it should teach them a lesson for thinking they could do better than Mora Jr.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    Coaches can get fired at any time, despite having a FIVE YEAR CONTRACT. And I'm pretty sure he can't come back to the pros without the Falcons permission (just like SVG and Orlando).

Better for him to quit, he wasn't any good and now Atlanta won't have to pay his salary. Plus, it should teach them a lesson for thinking they could do better than Mora Jr.
    Well, I think the reality is setting in that NFL teams should not trust college coaches. Very few great college HCs can make the jump to the pros with no problems. I can name more highly sought after college coaches who failed big time in the pros then those who even went .500.

woman without a team

Plus, it should teach them a lesson for thinking they could do better than Mora Jr.

Smartest thing Jim ever did was say he'd take the Washington job the second it came open. Of course it seemed pretty stupid at the time...

Mood

If I was a player for the Falcons I would first be very pissed off and in the long run be fine because you don't want a coach who will run away when things are bad. Loyalty to your employer is rare these days.

streets ahead

actually reports out of atlanta seem to indicate players are pretty relieved petrino is gone.
    This is the darkest timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffg-body View Post
    Loyalty to your employer is rare these days.
    It's also rare from your employer too though.

The way DeAngelo Hall was talking was he wasn't getting through to any of the players so it isn't all that bad. If he can't communicate with his players it's time to move on. I have to admit, I have never seen anything like this. Up and leave a team during the season especially in your first year, and your down at your new school singing the Pig Suey song. He could of at least waited to be introduced, press conference style until the end of the season.

I'm sure there are significant bonuses to being fired, despite the FIVE YEAR CONTRACT. (Do you mean Billy Donovon and Orlando?)

We expect players to buy into the system 100%, give their lives to the team, but a coach is the only one who can skip town if he wants. Is that fair?

Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    I'm sure there are significant bonuses to being fired, despite the FIVE YEAR CONTRACT. (Do you mean Billy Donovon and Orlando?)

We expect players to buy into the system 100%, give their lives to the team, but a coach is the only one who can skip town if he wants. Is that fair?
    Coaches get fired quickly. They are the first to be blamed for losing. Players leave for bigger big checks. Is that fair? No it's not.

It's not fair but it's the way it works. He clearly wasn't doing a good job as the coach, especially dealing with the players.

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Summer of 2006 - 10 year contract from Louisville

Spring 2007 - 5 year contract from Atlanta

Winter 2007 - 5 year contract from Arkansas

20 years of contract for 3 different teams in about 1.5...

Im sorry, you dont quit in the middle of the season like this. Its horrible. I mean i dont care if things werent going well, you have three games left, get through them. Then resign in the off season with some dignity. When teams fire coaches its because the coach isnt doing his job well enough. Thats completely different from what Petrino did. Im sure he will leave Arkansas soon too, probably once McFadden announces hes going pro.

Watching Sportscenter right now, the Falcons players are just trashing Petrino. It is not pretty. Check out the reaction to this letter he left for the players:

http://www.ajc.com/braves/content/sp...petrino-2.html

I wonder if this this is the start of something for the Falcons going into next season. 2008-09 sleeper?

EDIT: the link to the letter needs registration so I'll just tell you it is a short letter from Petrino saying "I leave this team with a heavy heart, bla bla bla" and one of the players crossed out Petrino's name and wrote in red marker "COWARD!"
    Last edited by King Tuts Tomb; 12-13-2007 at 02:32 AM.

Is this comparable to Marino abandoning the Dolphins GM post after two weeks or so? I can't really remember the timing of Marino's stint.

I think Marino was only the GM for a day wasnt he? And i believe it was in the offseason when it all happened. Not exactly classy, but not as bad as what Petrino did.