Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tinsley calls incident a "stupid mistake"-IndyStar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Tinsley calls incident a "stupid mistake"-IndyStar

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...TS04/712100407

A couple quotes from Tins...

“I have to do things smarter and put myself in a better situation,” Tinsley told media at Conseco Fieldhouse. “Night clubs and alcohol and guns late at night, I put myself in a tough position.”

Tinsley said he was concerned for his life as two of his three cars were hit with bullets.

“Every athlete should be,” he said. “Using my example, I may not have been here, but the man upstairs gave me another opportunity to see another day. When athletes step out anything can happen.”
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 12-10-2007 at 02:03 PM.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Default Re: Tinsley calls incident a "stupid mistake"-IndyStar

http://www.theindychannel.com/sports...96/detail.html

INDIANAPOLIS -- Indiana Pacers coach Jim O'Brien said Monday that the team will not punish Jamaal Tinsley for his involvement in a shooting in front of a downtown hotel.Tinsley met with O'Brien and team president Larry Bird a day after the guard and several companions were targeted in the early Sunday morning shooting that wounded the team's equipment manager. Police said the shooting followed a confrontation at a nightclub.

O'Brien said if the situation is as Tinsley describes, there will be no penalties and that the player has the right to stay out late. Tinsley was back at practice after the meeting, but Bird was not available.

Tinsley, who wasn't injured, apologized to his family, teammates and fans and said what he did was stupid. He said he understands that NBA players are targets and that he will change the way he makes decisions.

It was Tinsley's third late-night episode in about 14 months, and the latest in a three-year string of incidents that have engulfed the franchise.

"This is something we can't just put right behind us and walk away from," Bird said Sunday. "It's something we'll have to discuss. I don't know how long it'll take and we'll continue to talk about it. We have to make a change, there's no question about it."
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Indiana Pacers point guard Jamaal Tinsley said today that he made a “stupid mistake” again by being in an unsafe environment early Sunday morning.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...TS04/712100407

Tinsley was involved in a shooting incident outside of a Downtown hotel after leaving a Westside club.

Coach Jim O'Brien said today that the Pacers will not punish Tinsley.

“I have to do things smarter and put myself in a better situation,” Tinsley told media at Conseco Fieldhouse. “Night clubs and alcohol and guns late at night, I put myself in a tough position.”
    Tinsley said he was concerned for his life as two of his three cars were hit with bullets.

“Every athlete should be,” he said. “Using my example, I may not have been here, but the man upstairs gave me another opportunity to see another day. When athletes step out anything can happen.”

Tinsley practiced with the team today and he’ll be in the lineup for Tuesday’s game at Cleveland.
    12:10 p. m. -- Hotel alerted 911 to Tinsley incident
    Police today released the audio of a 911 call between dispatchers and staff of the Conrad Hotel during this weekend's shooting involving Indiana Pacers player Jamaal Tinsley.
    In the recording, dispatchers called the Conrad after they received an incomplete call for help. A hotel manager said someone fired 6 to 7 shots and that a gunshot victim was inside their lobby.
    "We have a guy who has apparently been hit," the manager tells a 911 dispatcher.
    Pacer officials were to meet with Tinsley this morning, the team said on its Web site.
    On Sunday, Indiana Pacers team leaders publicly admonished Tinsley for being out at a time and place that put him in harm's way -- in the sights of someone wielding an assault rifle -- and said it's time for professional athletes to make "smarter" decisions.
    Someone in a group of people fired on cars carrying Tinsely and his friends outside the Conrad Hotel in Downtown Indianapolis early Sunday. Pacers equipment manager Joey Qatato was shot in both elbows.
    Two of Tinsley's three vehicles were pocked with bullet holes and his brother, James Tinsley, apparently returned fire with a gun he carried legally.
    It wasn't known whether anyone in the other group was injured, and Pacers officials said they were grateful no one was hurt worse or killed.
    No one was arrested in connection with the shootings, but a man with Tinsley was taken into custody on an outstanding out-of-state warrant.
    Sunday's incident is the third club-related episode to involve Tinsley in a little more than a year and comes on the heels of other violent incidents involving sports figures nationally.
    Coach Jim O'Brien, Pacers President Larry Bird and player and team leader Jermaine O'Neal responded to the incident later Sunday.
    O'Brien characterized Tinsley as a "victim (who) wasn't out there causing problems," but said Tinsley should not have been in that situation at 3 a.m.
    "But that's a decision that was made, and it was the wrong decision to make," O'Brien said. "I would think as we all suspect, nothing good happens after 1 o'clock if you're around alcohol or around an environment where there could be weapons."
    Tinsley was excused from practice Sunday but is expected to attend practice today. The Pacers play at Cleveland on Tuesday.
    Sgt. Paul Thompson, a spokesman for the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department, said the incident began at the nightclub Cloud 9, 5150 W. 38th St.
    Members of Tinsley's group said people in another group harassed them about Tinsley's expensive cars -- a Mercedes, Rolls-Royce and Dodge Charger -- and the amount of money he made.
    Tinsley's group left the club and headed for Tinsley's Downtown condominium but soon realized they were being followed by a gray Chrysler and a dark pickup truck, Thompson said. They pulled into the Conrad Hotel because they thought it would be safer, he said.
    The shooting began about 3:40 a.m., after both groups reached the hotel, Thompson said. After Qatato was shot, he went inside, where Conrad employees called emergency medical services and police.
    Qatato had been sitting with Tinsley in the player's Rolls-Royce. A Methodist Hospital spokesperson said Qatato was released Sunday afternoon after being treated. Tinsley, in the front passenger seat, was not injured.
    Two of the three vehicles in Tinsley's group followed the shooters to Monument Circle, and James Tinsley returned fire. It was not known whether anyone was hit. James Tinsley had a gun permit, Thompson said.
    Jamaal Tinsley was not involved in the chase, Thompson said.
    No Conrad employees witnessed the shooting, but a few were on duty inside the lobby when it occurred. Those who assisted Qatato were not allowed to comment due to hotel policy.
    At least three bullets struck Tinsley's Rolls-Royce, including one in the windshield and two in the driver's door window. The Charger had five bullet holes, Thompson said.
    The suspected weapon is a .223 assault rifle, Thomas said, adding police had no suspects, and investigators continue to look for the two vehicles driven by those who shot at Tinsley's group.
    Police arrested Antoine Toon, 31, a member of the Tinsley group who was wanted on an unrelated Georgia warrant for dealing a controlled substance.
    Thompson said it's too soon to know if others in Tinsley's group will face charges.
    Bird, already trying to clean up his team's image tarnished by a series of controversies, said the team is gathering information about the incident.
    But he said Tinsley will be "punished" if it turns out he's at fault. O'Brien said there's no curfew for players and the team has no intention of enforcing one.
    "With Jamaal, it's just 'Why are you out at 3:30 in a place like that?' I don't really have a problem with guys being out till 3:30, but you've got to know your surroundings," Bird said. "Obviously, it's time for these guys to take a look at everything that's happened throughout our league, throughout professional sports, and step back and take a hard look at it and make smarter decisions."
    Jermaine O'Neal said Sunday's incident was another warning to athletes that they can become targets.
    Sunday was the team's third club-related incident in a little more than a year. Tinsley was present but not charged at a Westside strip club when former Pacer Stephen Jackson fired a gun in the air and was hit by a car on Oct. 6, 2006. Tinsley and teammate Marquis Daniels are due in court Jan. 14 on charges stemming from a bar fight at the 8 Seconds Saloon on Feb. 6. A grand jury indicted Tinsley on a felony charge of intimidation, and misdemeanor counts of battery, disorderly conduct and intimidation from the Feb. 6 incident. Daniels is charged with battery and disorderly conduct, both misdemeanors

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Thanks able. I couldn't get the darn thing to copy and paste correctly.

Could this be a good thing for Tinsley and the Pacers?

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    On the surface, guns and Pacers are probably not a good thing especially with the way the local media was handling it. Every ten o'clock news promo I saw yesterday had the same lead in line "Gun fire linked to Pacers point guard" or something like that. It was irresponsible journalism at its finest.
    However if the Pacers PR department handles it correctly (which I would find pretty shocking) they have a chance to endear Tinsley to the city. Imagine if Tins started an organization to keep guns and violence off the streets of Indianapolis. Or something of that nature. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. I really think an organization or foundation/fundraiser type thing could really work well for the Pacers and Tinsley.

No.

There is no way.

This is again bad for all the same reasons that the last two "In Da Club" incidents were bad. Possibly worse. Or equipment manager got shot. Twice.

Yes, all the details thus far show that Jamaal Tinsley did very little that was in any way wrong, but only dorks like us who frequent Pacers message boards are going to care about or remember -- or even read -- the details.

To everyone else, the story is only "Indiana Pacers," "Jamaal Tinsley," "guns," "car chase," "guy shot," "again."
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    This is again bad for all the same reasons that the last two "In Da Club" incidents were bad. Possibly worse. Or equipment manager got shot. Twice.
    I have been tempted to sarcastically ask if Diener is okay. But that would be inappropriate. Does Tinsley have kids? I know his family is close. I hope everything will just move on. If this was the first incident the atmosphere would be different.

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

if he sticks to his decision about making smarter moves with his life - then yes...in the long run it could be a good thing...but why it had to come to a point like this in the first place...i do not know...

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    On the surface, guns and Pacers are probably not a good thing especially with the way the local media was handling it. Every ten o'clock news promo I saw yesterday had the same lead in line "Gun fire linked to Pacers point guard" or something like that. It was irresponsible journalism at its finest.
    However if the Pacers PR department handles it correctly (which I would find pretty shocking) they have a chance to endear Tinsley to the city. Imagine if Tins started an organization to keep guns and violence off the streets of Indianapolis. Or something of that nature. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. I really think an organization or foundation/fundraiser type thing could really work well for the Pacers and Tinsley.
    I dont think a campaign to take guns away from people in Indiana would be a good pr move.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    I dont think a campaign to take guns away from people in Indiana would be a good pr move.
    Assault rifles, automatic weapons? If nothing else get them out of the inner city? A campaign to get kids off the streets? I think that would be a great PR move. Folks in Indiana may love their hunting rifles, but I doubt too many of them are out hunting with AKs.

Guns and Pacers
    Anyone for putting a band together?

You touch a hot pan and you get burned.

You touch a hot pan again and you get burned again.

You touch a hot pan yet again and you get burned yet again.

Then you announce "I was wrong to touch a hot pan"

If he really believes that, why in the world would it have not "sunk in" the first time or the second time?

Sports Logo

Assault rifles, automatic weapons? If nothing else get them out of the inner city? A campaign to get kids off the streets? I think that would be a great PR move. Folks in Indiana may love their hunting rifles, but I doubt too many of them are out hunting with AKs.

I dont want to start a political argument here but its been proven over and over if you take the guns away the crime goes up.

I always hunt with an AK 47.....

Have you never seen the movie with Eddie Murphy, "Distinguished Gentleman" when they go duck hunting with the M16's?

Quote Originally Posted by Gyron View Post
    I always hunt with an AK 47.....
    * Disclaimer: Samuel L. says Samuel L.'s favorite word

[yt]XJevEXqT45Q[/yt]
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacertom View Post

If he really believes that, why in the world would it have not "sunk in" the first time or the second time?
    Why not indeed? Besides which I'm calling on the apology in the first place. Words like "do things smarter" and "put myself in better situations" are not his words, those are being parroted from what TPTB have already said. He's toeing the company line (well, that COULD be a good thing)...but definately not using his own words to apologize.

Now to stir the pot a bit........
    3:30 at night...you're being followed by two vehicles with people who have already accosted you once..........Ya reckon they concerned themselves with maintaining the legally proscribed speed ordinances? I can just see them realizing that they are being pursued and yet the light up ahead turns a pinkish yellow, but the ever cautious driver slows and proceeds with caution all the time ready to yield the right of way to approaching traffic. (and I'm certain the cars following them did just the same)
    Last edited by indygeezer; 12-10-2007 at 04:38 PM.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Here is the part the most important part about our team moving forward and not losing Tinsley mentally (He could very easily have checked out and reverted to his old, 'I hate Rick Carlisle', 'I'm gonna mail-it-in form'.) The fact that both men can speak their minds and get along means good things for the Pacers.

From Pacers.com

Tinsley was excused from Sunday’s practice and met with O’Brien before Monday’s workout. The coach apparently had strong words for his point guard.

“I’ve got to give him the utmost respect,” said Tinsley. “He came at me as a man … he really got upset at me.”

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    I dont want to start a political argument here but its been proven over and over if you take the guns away the crime goes up.

It's been proven MAYBE that if you pass a law to take guns off the street, and the law does not actually do that, then crime could go up. Sorry, it's just too freaking obvious that if the guns were IN FACT not there, it would be exceedingly difficult to shoot someone.

Knife 'em? Throw rocks? Maybe a good fist-up? Heck yeah. Hard to put flung stones through a Rolls though. Maybe a Yugo.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

Quote Originally Posted by pacertom View Post

i can buy into it that he has changed from experience. i've made some repeat mistakes in my life and it took a few incidents for it to sink in with me. some of us are slower than others

Mood

Several years ago I was driving my cousin from Phoenix out to catch her flight home. Westbound on I-70 we approached the Lockerbie street area and could see a HUGE pile of new pillows stacked up on a street corner. She asked what the heck those were and I informed her that it was a program initiated by IPD. I told her that IPD had convinced the local toughs to turn in their guns and use these free pillows to settle their differences. and that the program was being met with great success.
    She bought it....every last word of it.

I nearly wrecked the car I was crying so hard from laughing when I finally told her that it was some street corner vendors selling pillows.
    Fortunately she has a great sense of humor and we still laugh about it today...well, me more than she, but still.......
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bird

"This is something we can't just put right behind us and walk away from," Bird said Sunday. "It's something we'll have to discuss. I don't know how long it'll take and we'll continue to talk about it. We have to make a change, there's no question about it."
    Sounds to me like Tinsley is gone... I think he was on his last strike from Larry, and it is a shame cause Tins is playing his best basketball ever, then again, his trade value has to be very high right now, he is one of the top PG's in the NBA statwise.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleWTF View Post
    Sounds to me like Tinsley is gone... I think he was on his last strike from Larry, and it is a shame cause Tins is playing his best basketball ever, then again, his trade value has to be very high right now, he is one of the top PG's in the NBA statwise.
    i took the "we have to make a change" as implementing some new rules.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by UncleWTF View Post
    Perhaps he's on double-dark secret probation.

I think this is all a conspiracy...

First J.O. opens Club 7. Then comes the 8-second-saloon incident. Now Cloud 9. Does anyone know if there are any bars in town with the number 10 in the name? Can we make a proactive policy to keep anyone associated with the team away from there?