Thread: Marc Stein gives the Pacers some love (Power Rankings)

streets ahead

Default Marc Stein gives the Pacers some love (Power Rankings)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/powerranking

2007-08 Power Rankings: Week 6

RANK (LAST WK)TEAMREC.COMMENT
    1 (4)Spurs17-3Only Pop could greet a start like this with caution and/or indifference like this: ''We've had bad starts in the past, we've had good starts in the past and neither one is indicative of whether we won a championship.''
    2 (1)Magic16-5Before its first 'bad' L of the season -- and losing at home to the Pacers isn't exactly heinous with how they're playing -- Orlando racked up another impressive road W at Golden State. So it's only a one-spot dip.
    3 (3)Celtics17-2I know, I know: Boston had nothing to do with spitting out such a cake early schedule. But I can't help it: Boston can't wow me more than the Spurs and Magic have until the schedule gets harder, like it or not.
    4 (2)Suns16-5This might be a harsh drop after the 120.8 ppg Phoenix averaged in a 5-0 run against East opposition, but scoring only 93 points and losing in Minny is inevitably going to be costly when things are so tight at the top.
    5 (6)Pistons14-6Only one win in the Pistons' 6-1 run came against a winning team (New Orleans). So the focus remains on their ramped-up offense more than the competition, with the Pistons topping 100 points in five of those wins.
    6 (7)Hornets14-7The concerns about low attendance figure aren't just business-related. Not if you believe that the empty seats have a basketball impact as well, with the Hornets just 6-5 at home compared to 8-2 on the road.
    7 (5)Jazz13-8Just a hunch here, but I'm guessing Jerry Sloan isn't all that impressed with Utah matching Denver's 107.1 ppg. Not when the Jazz are just 5-7 on the road and surrendering a very-un-Sloan-like 100.7 ppg defensively.
    8 (13)Lakers12-8The Lakers are probably not going to win 50 games, Phil Jackson says. Don't think they can afford to be too far away, though, because last season's 42 wins probably won't be enough for a playoff berth this season.
    9 (8)Mavericks13-8It's true that the Mavs shouldn't panic during this bad stretch when everyone knows that their season will be entirely judged on playoff success. But making a trade run at Kidd isn't panic. It's a no-brainer.
    10 (11)Nuggets13-8For those of you who like to monitor these sorts of things, Iverson (25.3 ppg) has wrested the Nuggets' team scoring lead from Melo (24.7 ppg) with last week's back-to-back detonations of 51 and 35 points.
    11 (9)Warriors11-9The nightmare start is a memory, thanks to an 8-2 surge and 114.7 ppg in that span, but the Warriors better win Friday when the Lakers come to Oaktown. They're (yikes) 1-14 in teams' past 15 meetings with Sunday's L.
    12 (15)Pacers10-10The Pacers follow up a heartbreaking home defeat to Phoenix with a stirring victory in Orlando. More justification that Indy, at the season's quarter pole, is a clear-cut No. 1 in the Showing Us Up rankings.
    13 (10)Rockets11-10Isn't this supposed to be the best-ever supporting cast around T-Mac and Yao? T-Mac is wondering the same judging by this quote: ''Until everybody else contributes [and] we get bench production, we'll be a mediocre team.''
    14 (16)Wizards10-10The Wiz continue to hang in at 7-5 sans Arenas, which allows them to focus for the moment on the silver linings: Butler and Jamison are playing as well as ever; Blatche and Young are getting unexpected opportunities.
    15 (14)Raptors11-10Considering where it was after 21 games last season -- at 7-14 -- and given all the injury woes so far endured by Bosh and other key contributors, Toronto can't be too disappointed to be a game over .500.
    16 (12)Cavaliers9-12It has to be discussed because I know you're thinking it: LeBron's injured finger must be more than sprained if the man-child has missed six games with it, during which Cleveland is 0-6 and averaging 80.7 ppg. Right?
    17 (20)Bulls6-12Is the worst over? Maybe so, but Chicago is still the only team in the league scoring less than 90 ppg, putting them miles behind the new-look Celts even though it's the Bulls who've been together so much longer.
    18 (17)Nets9-12Interesting factoid to ponder while waiting for the slumping Nets to decide if Kidd is staying or going: At 8.7 rpg, Kidd is 23rd in the league . . . ahead of the likes of Stoudemire (8.5), Nowitzki (8.3) and Shaq (7.8).
    19 (22)Hawks9-10The three victims in Atlanta's 3-1 start to December were a combined 16-42 as of Monday morning. But this part of the Hawks' start stands out in a good way: They're actually 5-3 against Western Conference opposition.
    20 (27)Trail Blazers8-12It's not enough to make people forget that Oden will miss his entire rookie season, but Aldridge has certainly responded. He's racked up six double-doubles already, compared to just five in 63 games as a rook.
    21 (18)Bucks8-11The worst part about the abrupt end to the Bucks' fantastic start was the timing. They hit the skids and lost their confidence just as they were starting a 36-game stretch with only 14 home games.
    22 (19)Kings7-12The Kings' impressive list of home upsets is up to four, with Utah joining Detroit, San Antonio and Houston as the latest Arco victim. But there was no celebrating with Kevin Martin joining Bibby on the long-term injury list.
    23 (26)76ers7-13The widespread belief that Larry Brown would swoop down to bump off Cheeks was the only suspense this team generated with Billy King in charge. In the Stefanski Era, you're only waiting for the Andre Miller trade.
    24 (23)Heat5-15Why is everyone so edgy in Miami's locker room? Riles, Shaq and D-Wade obviously remember that the Heat started 5-8 last season and didn't reach .500 until mid-February. How long will it take now from 5-15?
    25 (21)Grizzlies6-14The Grizz keep losing all the close ones -- 0-6 in games decided by three points or less -- but we're seeing a better, more active Gasol: Four straight double-doubles after just three double-digit rebound games in November.
    26 (25)Bobcats7-12Don't blame the Bobs for failing to land Varejao because they never really had a chance. Blame them for continually ignoring the one quality big man they do have; Charlotte is 1-7 when Okafor gets nine shots or less.
    27 (24)Clippers7-12With a home defeat to road-weary Miami, L.A.'s nosedive has reached 3-12 since its 4-0 launch. Elton Brand's incentive to hustle back by February, in other words, is dwindling by the day.
    28 (28)Knicks6-13Question for you, Knicks Nation: Why don't we ever hear a "Fi-re Do-lan" chant at The Garden? It flows better than "Fire I-si-ah" . . . and, well, why stop to worry whether Dolan's dad actually has the juice to do it or not?
    29 (29)SuperSonics5-16Big month for the Sonics already. The second month of Durant's career sees Seattle win its first game against a Western Conference foe (Clippers) and his first winning streak (a two-gamer) as a pro.
    30 (30)Timberwolves3-15When Houston went to Phoenix and held the Suns to 94 points, we were floored. When the Wolves hosted Phoenix on Saturday night and held the Suns to 93, we couldn't come up with a word for our reaction.
    This is the darkest timeline.

Default Re: Marc Stein gives the Pacers some love (Power Rankings)

I like it!! Definitely would be nice to be a Cinderella type team. Throw back to the early 90's.

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

The Magic's rating is ridiculous. They should be ninth or tenth.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Yeah, the Magic are rated a little too high IMO aswell, but I'm thinking 4 or 5 at this point in the season.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The fact that he kept the Magic so high is him trying to make a point that the Pacers are a very good team and there is no shame in losing to us.

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

another interesting tidbit from that.

Only one win in the Pistons' 6-1 run came against a winning team.

I'm sorry but they don't worry me like they have in years past. I think they'll hold their own, but I won't think they'll run away with the division like they have in years past.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Magic follow it up with another home loss, this time to the promising Hawks.

Reminder, the Magic were 14-5 to start last season. Then they lost in Indy. By the end of December they were 18-14. By the end of Feb. they were sub-500. It took a strong finish just to get back to 40-42 and make the weak bottom half of the East playoffs.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    another interesting tidbit from that.

Only one win in the Pistons' 6-1 run came against a winning team.
    Yeah, hold it against us that we had a soft schedule the last week or so after opening up playing 8 of our first 10 games on the road.

Newsflash: any win over an east team not in Boston or Orlando is a win over a team that does not have a winning record.

I'm sorry but they don't worry me like they have in years past.
    ....because we had a 6-1 record against soft competition?

I'd ask if beating the Pacers would be more convincing, but that would just be another win against a team without a winning record...

I think they'll hold their own, but I won't think they'll run away with the division like they have in years past.
    A 4 game lead after 1 1/2 months is a pretty decent head start....
    Last edited by Kstat; 12-11-2007 at 03:57 PM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

They just don't worry me, they have a good record but so did the magic and a better one than the pistons. I look forward to facing the pistons later this season. Pistons have given chicago 1/3 of their wins this season so far, yeah they're really awesome and losing to Portland and Sacramento further justifies their awesomeness.

I mean we lost to Seattle...

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

and losing to Portland and Sacramento further justifies their awesomeness.
    ...and what would you call losing to Seattle, Charlotte and the Clippers?

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Hey!!! The Clippers were undefeated at the time and we returned the favor. And Seattle and Charlotte were road games.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

JO wasn't healthy for the start of the season. Detroit has had the fortune of being at full strength and healthy for 90% of their games.

Pacers have done well without a healthy JO. It will take some time for everyone to get the new system down and develop some chemistry. Things do look promising and few people outside of us diehard Pacers fans would have had us at almost the fourth best team in the Eastern Conference at this stage. This last fact is a bit rosy-colored as the P's are just a 0.500 team and teams like Cleveland, Chicago, Washington, and Miami have had injuries or off-season surgeries to recover from and/or slow starts. All but Washington are apt to make a move up in the standings.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    The Charlotte one was a bad loss, but Seattle - 3rd game in 4 nights, and the Clippers game - Kaman with 20+ rebounds and Sam Cassel not being able to miss all night long. How do you justify losing to chicago twice? I'll admit they've been on the upswing as of late but i'm pretty sure the pistons gave chicago one of if not their first win earlier this season.

Quote Originally Posted by iPACER View Post
    JO wasn't healthy for the start of the season. Detroit has had the fortune of being at full strength and healthy for 90% of their games.
    Are you kidding me?

We haven't been at full strength for one game this season, and several games we were missing two starters. We STILL haven't had our projected rotation for one game this year.

Our starting PF has knee problems.

Our starting center nearly tore his shoulder off.

Our starting SG has a sprained ankle.

Our starting PG has a badly bruised hip.

Our 3rd guard has three broken bones on his left hand and hasn't played a game this season.

Fortune? What the **** have you been watching?
    Last edited by Kstat; 12-11-2007 at 05:32 PM.

The Charlotte one was a bad loss, but Seattle - 3rd game in 4 nights, and the Clippers game - Kaman with 20+ rebounds and Sam Cassel not being able to miss all night long. How do you justify losing to chicago twice? I'll admit they've been on the upswing as of late but i'm pretty sure the pistons gave chicago one of if not their first win earlier this season.
    Dude, you're justifying losses to terrible teams like this is the BCS or something. You don't see me making up silly excuses why we lost to the Bulls twice. In the end, quality wins mean nothing in the NBA. Beating the TWolves at home counts exactly as much as beating the spurs on the road.

The 02 Lakers got swept 4-0 by lottery-bound Seattle in the regular season. The 07 Spurs got spanked by the cavs both times during the season last year. The 05 Heat i think actually went the entire season like 1-12 against the six division champions that year. It doesn't matter who you beat. It only matters how many.

newsflash: this is the NBA. There is no such thing as a "soft schedule." You play the same teams as everyone else. Unless you're saying Detroit is a product of an inflated record and can't beat good teams, in which case I'd ask you where you've been for the last 6 years....
    Last edited by Kstat; 12-11-2007 at 05:45 PM.

Tell ya what I'm just going to agree to disagree and we'll see what happens when we face the pistons.

I'll be there on the 29th. Looking forward to it.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods