Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Jamaal & The Tinsley brothers involved in shooting

Default Re: Jamaal & The Tinsley brothers involved in shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Pacersfan46 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My situation happened at 8 PM.

-- Steve --

I believe you, and I'm sorry it happened.

Bad things can happen anywhere at any time. A few years ago, a man was shot on Monument Circle. Nevertheless, the Circle is a pretty safe place to be at noon on a workday...and less safe far into the night. I'll allow that West 38th Street is a tougher place than many in Indianapolis, but it is not a ghetto (it is a commercial district).
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

There is no timetable for people who do these things. They have to live 24 hours with themselves. Its away of life with them, the mindset never changes. Unfortunately, for sane ordinary people, these type are out there with a chip on their shoulder and something to prove to themselves or their friends.

My personal opinion is that Jammal Tinsley is a kindred spirit to these kinds of people and feels a need to be among them. Except now he is wealthy, flaunts it and creates a backlash he doesn't understand or know how to deal with. He needs to understand he is no longer one of "the guys", find new friends and new places to hangout. He needs to make his family go with him or he may miss more games do to funerals. His or his brothers. He was lucky once again last night.

Will he be lucky the next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    I believe you, and I'm sorry it happened.

Bad things can happen anywhere at any time. A few years ago, a man was shot on Monument Circle. Nevertheless, the Circle is a pretty safe place to be at noon on a workday...and less safe far into the night. I'll allow that West 38th Street is a tougher place than maIny in Indianapolis, but it is not a ghetto (it is a commercial district).
    The same day I got shot, a man was killed sitting in his car at the mall. My work didn't know which person I was, the one post surgery, or deceased.

I think it's a mistake to go there anytime of day. I get on my g/f for working in that area, even at a doctors office. She needs to take her degree, and get a real job now. Not working part time at a doc office. Ugh.

We'll have to just disagree. I think it's a bad decision to go there unless you have to.

-- Steve --

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Is Jaamal becoming our Charles Barkley?

Too good to let go, never the instigator, but always involved.

How many times do these guys have to be whomped up side the head to get the message thru to them?

Hey Steve.was your's at the theater parking lot or was that another poster?
    Last edited by indygeezer; 12-09-2007 at 08:36 AM.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    Is Jaamal becoming our Charles Barkley?

Too good to let go, never the instigator, but always involved.

How many times do these guys have to be whomped up side the head to get the message thru to them?
    We could call him the "Round fist of assist"

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by hoopsforlife View Post
    We could call him the "Round fist of assist"
    LOL
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Tinsley seems to be afflicted by terminal stupidity.

Did he start this? Sounds like the answer is no.

Was he an idiot for being in that place at that time? Yup - same as Jackson was w/ Club Rio last year.

There are just things smart people shouldn't do.

And the old, "Where there's smoke there's fire" mantra has some truth to it.
    Jamal was at:

Club Rio last summer

8 Second Saloon last winter

Cloud 9 last night

I don't know what he did specifically in any of those cases but when trouble keeps finding someone, chances are good he's doing something to bring it.

It's just terrible decision-making on his part. There are better places in Indy for a wealthy person to take his Rolls to. And if, as I conjecture from the name, Cloud 9 is a strip club, there are some high-class downtown strip clubs, or you could hire some dancers for an evening.

Just stupid - like sticking your hand in a fire and hoping you won't get burned.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Mood

Well Realgm has this up already..but ESPN has yet to catch on to it.

http://realgm.com/

In this situation is seems to me that Jamaal did nothing wrong. He was leaving a place, some guys who were probably drunk decided to cause some problems, Tinsley did the correct thing and left, they were followed and Tinsley did the correct thing going to a public place instead of going home - although going to the police station would have been better, or calling the police.

I do find it interesting that Joe Quato - the equipment manager was with him.

Of course you could say the obvious, why was Tinsley out so late and in a bad part of town - bad judgment perhaps, but nothing criminal there.

The real problem is public perception - that the Pacers are a bunch of thugs involved in another shooting incident. - That is all most people will know about this and that is all they really care about. Nothing like an incident that confirms public perception.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacersfan46 View Post
    My situation happened at 8 PM.

-- Steve --
    There have been many publicized incidents that have occurred in broad daylight around that mall. It is probably one of the more dangerous business districts around Indianapolis.

For suburbanites, there is no longer a reason to go there because Avon businesses are available. That's why the stores are all shut down on W. 38th. Money from the burbs have moved out. That's one reason JT needs to keep supporting the area....LOL.

Mood

I know Tin Man (and a lot of pro atheletes) has been in Indy or wherever their team is a while, but it seems like he just doesn't know where places are safe in the day and hell at night. Maybe pro teams should do more in identifying these issues when they come in to the franchise, like an orientation. For a lot of us hoosiers, it is an unwritten rule or common knowledge to stay away from that area at night. He got lucky.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by IndyFan032589 View Post
    I agree. If Roger Penske can ban his IndyCar drivers from consuming alcohol during the month of May then Bird can ban the Pacers from ghetto clubs.
    How would you constitute a "ghetto club?"

You're obviously a young guy (as am I) and you're trying to tell grown men what to do. What is LB going to do, call all of the Pacers at 10pm and ask them where they are, or better yet install tracking devices into their cars so he knows where they are at all times? That notion in and of itself is silly.

If LB really thinks Tinsley could cause a major, major problem for himself or someone else he needs to trade him. If he meets with Tinsley and realizes that isn't the case, then he needs to keep him. There is no use trying to tell grown men how to run their lives.
    Last edited by idioteque; 12-09-2007 at 08:59 AM.

Yeah, I've run into some trouble in that area of town as well. Luckily it didn't involve a gun like what happened to 46. That would have scared the **** out of me.

It seems likie avoiding those kind of places would be one of the first common sense-type of moves you'd make after becoming a multimillionaire. Hmmm.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post

On another note, everyone already knows how dangerous that area of town is, so why is nothing being done to make it safer?

Yeah... what's the deal?
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    And if, as I conjecture from the name, Cloud 9 is a strip club,
    Based on its web site, Cloud 9 does NOT appear to be a strip club. Teach me for posting conjecture . . .

Still not in a good section of town. Certainly not the worst - the true getto is just East of this area - but bad & getting worse.

And to chime in, 10 years ago I used to go to Lafayette Scare Mall occasionally - the location is very convenient if you're on I-65. I don't any more. People have been killed in the parking lot at 3 p.m. there. Crazy.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    Yeah... what's the deal?
    No one's stepped up and invested in the area yet.

There is obviously some revitalization work that needs to be done in that area. I wish the Irsays would have stepped up and build Lucas Oil in an area that needed to be revitalized...oftentimes stadiums can totally transform an area.

In DC the Verizon Center (where the Wizards play) totally altered the complete makeup of Penn Quarter. From what I've heard from many residents who have been there for a long time and also from the local media, it's been like night and day. Also in DC the new stadium for the Nationals is being built right in Southeast DC, which for a long time has been known as one of the worst ghettos in America, to try to enact similar changes in that area.

With these two successes there has to be a winning formula to this thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post

Of course you could say the obvious, why was Tinsley out so late and in a bad part of town - bad judgment perhaps, but nothing criminal there.

The real problem is public perception...
    Well, here is my own, one person "public perceptiom" of this.

I'll agree that, as far as we know, JT and his bunch did not do anything legally wrong. But remember his interview earlier this season about wanting to be a better father, etc.?

His being out at 3:00AM at clubs, getting into problems (his fault or not), does not set a very good example for the kids, does it? I'd say he isn't getting a passing grade in that area. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    No one's stepped up and invested in the area yet.

There is obviously some revitalization work that needs to be done in that area. I wish the Irsays would have stepped up and build Lucas Oil in an area that needed to be revitalized...oftentimes stadiums can totally transform an area.
    Businesses do not typically base decisions on that and it's not really their responsibility to clean up the mess caused by our economic policies and cultural issues. The ghetto will simply move and JT will follow....

Once our government decides to stop destroying the country with its immigration and trade policies and our people decide to place a higher value on family, fatherhood, personal responsibility, education, and morals, these problems will dissipate.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Businesses do not typically base decisions on that and it's not really their responsibility to clean up the mess caused by our economic policies and cultural issues. The ghetto will simply move and JT will follow....
    No American goverment, especially not a government in a state as conservative as Indiana, is going to wage some war on poverty to try to improve things in these areas. Either the private sector will eventually do it or no one will do it. And it can work if it is done properly. There is a glaring case study that I see every day if you don't believe me.

And who cares if JT will follow or not? There are plenty of people that want to get the hell out of the ghetto.

And businesses do have a responsibility to contribute to the well being of the community. Have you ever taken a course on business ethics? With all the corporate welfare the Colts have recieved it's really the least they could do.
    Last edited by idioteque; 12-09-2007 at 09:41 AM.

If LB really thinks Tinsley could cause a major, major problem for himself or someone else he needs to trade him. If he meets with Tinsley and realizes that isn't the case, then he needs to keep him. There is no use trying to tell grown men how to run their lives.
    You are correct. The Pacers are a business. JT is an employee. Bird is his Employer.

You have to look at what effect each employee has on your business, and while it may or may not be out of line for an employer to tell an employee what to do away from the workplace, the employer has a right to protect the business from repercussions of the employee's actions. That does include (as UB posted earlier) the public perception, and therefore the reputation and viability, of that business.

I'm not saying trade him, or keep him, either way. I guess I'm just expanding a bit on what you said.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Once our government decides to stop destroying the country with its immigration and trade policies and our people decide to place a higher value on family, fatherhood, personal responsibility, education, and morals, these problems will dissipate.
    In other words; "Don't hold your breath".

Quote Originally Posted by dlewyus View Post
    In other words; "Don't hold your breath".
    LOL. No kidding. I must be dreaming or something.

In any event, that's what it will take. The trade and immigration policies are not helping our poverty situation in this country. That goes to DC's point. ..and yes, Indiana, particularly run by pro-business Mitch Daniels is not going to start a war on poverty.

But the war on poverty is not one person's responsibility. Both our government and our own culture has caused this mess. Both need to work together to clean it up.

So, I really think DC is on target, but there are really two targets. One is public policy. The other one is directly related to culture and how some segments of society put down education, put down family, don't live up to personal responsibilities, etc.

Until both are corrected, the status quo will continue or grow worse.

And businesses do have a responsibility to contribute to the well being of the community. Have you ever taken a course on business ethics? With all the corporate welfare the Colts have recieved it's really the least they could do.
    I agree the Colts got a handout from the state...and I am totally in agreement with some of the goals you seem to have in mind.

However, you have been listening to the professors for too long. Businesses are in it to make money and are not responsible for the public welfare. Just because it seems fair for the Colts to "pony up", you just cannot base societal interests on such a whim. It's government's (ie. the general public) responsibility to reign them in by enacting laws and regulations.

Our immigration and trade policies would be my place to start.

In the United States, it's really all about the bottom line of businesses, and it always will be. Whether or not that is a good thing is something that we can debate, but it really doesn't make that much of a difference what we say because in the end our government is going to enable businesses to reap as much profit as possible, even if it is at the expense of a large number of citizens.

The reason I am so in favor of development through investment in rough areas is for one thing it works, and for another thing many people win because it really cleans up some areas. But it doesn't really address the core issue of the problem, instead of stopping poverty it just moves it.

Getting back on topic, this thing will either blow over or it will really, really kill the Pacers in terms of PR. My Dad is always panning me how JT is a thug and that the Pacers are a "bunch of thugs" (even though I don't really think that is true at all) and although most of the people on this board who follow the Pacers closely can argue against this, this is all the average fans sees and all he cares to see. He/she isn't going to partake in some crazy in depth analysis, they'll simply pull their support from this team and do it quickly.

Hey, if nothing else, Bird can buy JT an old, used, Chevy Cavalier
    or something similarly non-descript. Club-9 or whatever at 3:40
    a.m. is bad enough. But leave the damn Rolls at home.