Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jamaal Tinsley - All-Star?

Default Jamaal Tinsley - All-Star?

Jamaal Tinsley might live up to the Jamaal-Star nickname.

Amongst Eastern Conference Point Guards, he is currently:

3rd in assists
    2nd in rebounding
    1st in steals
    4th in scoring

Those seem to be the categories that people look at for All-Star PGs. Those are surprising numbers. But even more surprising is this:

He is the only Eastern Conference PG to be in the top five in all four categories.

Tinsley needs three things to be an All-Star:

1) Coaches need to overlook shooting percentages.

2) Tinsley needs to keep up the pace.

3) The East coach needs to pick three PGs for the squad (since Kidd and Billups are locks).

It's not a certainty by any stretch, but it's not out of the question. Number three is going to be the biggest hurdle.

But if Kidd or Billups get injured, Tinsley has a shot. Wow, what a turnaround.

Well, so far.

Mood

Default Re: Jamaal Tinsley - All-Star?

I think he deserves an All Star spot for his play this year. I think more realistically would be most improved player, but he may be challenged by Dun for that honor.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

hell, if he was steve nash he'd win MVP with those numbers

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by jeffg-body View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think he deserves an All Star spot for his play this year. I think more realistically would be most improved player, but he may be challenged by Dun for that honor.
    or maybe dwight howard
    This is the darkest timeline.

3) The East coach needs to pick three PGs for the squad (since Kidd and Billups are locks).
    Nobody says you have to send three PGs.

There's very little chance Tinsley is getting in.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post

I think that is what FlavaDave was saying...

Quote Originally Posted by FlavaDave

It's not a certainty by any stretch, but it's not out of the question. Number three is going to be the biggest hurdle.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Not without an amazing upgrade in Tinsley's performance... he'd have to absolutely dominate the entire conference for the next few months. There are too many good shooting guards.

I'd be happier if he DIDN'T get in, actually... don't want the ego to mess with his play.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Here are your 9 locks at this point:

Howard
    KG
    LeBron
    Wade
    Kidd
    Billups
    Bosh
    Allen
    Pierce

That leaves 3 spots open: here are the candidates:

Josh Smith
    Michael Redd
    Emeka Okafor
    Gerald Wallace
    Rashard Lewis
    Antawn Jamison
    Tayshaun Prince
    Richard Jefferson
    Caron Butler
    Danny Granger
    Jamaal Tinsley

Unless the Pacers suddenly rise to to th #4 spot in the east, I don't see Tinsley having a ghost of a chance.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Howard
    KG
    LeBron
    Wade
    Kidd
    Billups
    Bosh
    Allen
    Pierce

Josh Smith
    Michael Redd
    Emeka Okafor
    Gerald Wallace
    Rashard Lewis
    Antawn Jamison
    Tayshaun Prince
    Richard Jefferson
    Caron Butler
    Danny Granger
    Jamaal Tinsley

Unless the Pacers suddenly rise to to th #4 spot in the east, I don't see Tinsley having a ghost of a chance.
    I could see the Pacers having the 4th best record in the East by then. That's not unfathomable. The key is, of all the candidates, JT is the only PG. If Kidd or Billups are injured and the coaches really wanted to bring in another PG as opposed to SG, it could happen.

Stretch, though.

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    I could see the Pacers having the 4th best record in the East by then. That's not unfathomable. The key is, of all the candidates, JT is the only PG. If Kidd or Billups are injured and the coaches really wanted to bring in another PG as opposed to SG, it could happen.

Stretch, though.
    Problem is, you're counting on someone getting hurt rather than Tinsley's actual performance. That screams "unfathomable" to me.

Sports Logo

All star is how you did last year not how you are doing this year. Well and how well you did in the Sprite commercial.

If the Pacers make some noise in the playoffs he could end up there next year.

Problem is, you're counting on someone getting hurt rather than Tinsley's actual performance. That screams "unfathomable" to me.
    Yup.

All Star? LOL. Nice stats you have.

Maybe we need to trade him since he's so valuable. Just off the top of my head, here are the EC slackers we should be able to obtain for Jamaal-star:

JKidd
    Billups
    Hinrich
    Arenas
    Mo Williams

Howard
    KG
    LeBron
    Wade
    Kidd
    Billups
    Bosh
    Allen
    Pierce

Josh Smith
    Michael Redd
    Emeka Okafor
    Gerald Wallace
    Rashard Lewis
    Antawn Jamison
    Tayshaun Prince
    Richard Jefferson
    Caron Butler
    Danny Granger
    Jamaal Tinsley

It's also hard to imagine New Orleans without Shaq.

Other notables you left out are Vince (would be a first if he doesn't go), Luol (turning it around), Igoudala (18/6/5), Big Z (13 double doubles) and Zebo (19/11 including 9 double doubles in 14 games).

And don't sell your boy Rip short. He's got a much better shot than Tinsley on name recognition alone, IMO. He's also leading your boys in scoring.

There's also JO, I suppose, with an outside shot if he keeps up these numbers through December.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    It's also hard to imagine New Orleans without Shaq.

Other notables you left out are Vince (would be a first if he doesn't go), Luol (turning it around), Igoudala (18/6/5), Big Z (13 double doubles) and Zebo (19/11 including 9 double doubles in 14 games).

And don't sell your boy Rip short. He's got a much better shot than Tinsley on name recognition alone, IMO. He's also leading your boys in scoring.

There's also JO, I suppose, with an outside shot if he keeps up these numbers through December.
    No way Vince gets in, unless the Nets go on a huge tear. Jefferson is by far and away having a better season, even if the coaches decide to take a 2nd Nets player.

Much as I love Rip, 17 5 and 4 on sub-%50 shooting is not going to get you an all-star bid. Tayshaun prince has much, much better chance, given his defense and the fact he's been scoring efficiently as hell.

No Chicago Bull is going to make this all-star team. Luol is guilty by association. Same goes for the Knicks, and any Cav not named LeBron. They've all been exposed.

Igoudala I'll give you has the numbers, but he's doing it simply because he's chucking up a lot of shots and he's still missing most of them. Not only that, he's turning the ball over at an insane rate. Doubt he gets in.
    Last edited by Kstat; 12-06-2007 at 07:02 PM.

No way Vince gets in, unless the Nets go on a huge tear. Jefferson is by far and away having a better season, even if the coaches decide to take a 2nd Nets player.

Much as I love Rip, 17 5 and 4 on sub-%50 shooting is not going to get you an all-star bid. Tayshaun prince has much, much better chance, given his defense and the fact he's been scoring efficiently as hell.

No Chicago Bull is going to make this all-star team. Luol is guilty by association. Same goes for the Knicks, and any Cav not named LeBron. They've all been exposed.

Igoudala I'll give you has the numbers, but he's doing it simply because he's chucking up a lot of shots and he's still missing most of them. Not only that, he's turning the ball over at an insane rate. Doubt he gets in.
    Well the coaches don't vote for like 7 or 8 more weeks, so any of NJ, Cle or Chicago could be fine recordwise by then. Not saying they will be...just saying there's a lot of basketball to play and people forget about November pretty quick come 2008.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

my sig prediction to start the season might come true! AWESOME!
    "GIMMIE DAT!"-DANGER

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

---So there's a chance?!?!?!

Given the absolute craziness that happens around the NBA All Star Game, the fact that New Orleans is NOT READY for any event of that magnitude and has a huge crime rate, and the Pacers "karma" for trouble...I don't know if I want any Pacers at the All Star game.

Maybe I'm paranoid.

I would love Danny there. In his home town. I doubt it happens, but still...

Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    Given the absolute craziness that happens around the NBA All Star Game, the fact that New Orleans is NOT READY for any event of that magnitude and has a huge crime rate, and the Pacers "karma" for trouble...I don't know if I want any Pacers at the All Star game.

Maybe I'm paranoid.
    Maybe you're not paranoid enough...

http://tjic.com/?p=7883
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by intridcold View Post

---So there's a chance?!?!?!
    Haha i thought the same exact thing in the Hollingers playoff predict thread. Such a great movie.

Anyways, Tinsley may be playing at the level high enough to make the All Star game, but i doubt it happens. No one is happier than i am with his play right now, its just, hes a long shot. All Star games arent about stats for the most part.

Yeah, I don't think he will get an All-Star spot, and I wasn't trying to argue that he would.

But I think there is logic in the case I made, and that in itself is the point. Tinsley - statistically - is in rarefied air so far this season. And the fact that this idea wasn't immediately dismissed is a testament to the level of Tinsley's play so far.

I've been as big a critic of Tinsley as the next guy, but I gotta give it up. He's been very good, I'm sure of that. Can he keep it up? I'm not as sure.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't think Kidd will be selected this year. Not unless he and NJ really turn it around. Besides, RJeff is their best player this year.

Kidd's shooting has been terrible and we have rumors that he might being trying to force a trade. If that's the case, I don't think the coaches are gonna vote him on the team.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

The other thing to consider is that Jason Kidd might not even be in the Eastern Conference by the time the All Star break comes around...
    Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team. -- Scottie Pippen