Thread: Get rid of Troy Murphy

Default Get rid of Troy Murphy

So, I have a final project for a class that I should be doing. But of course, instead of working on that, I'm wasting time. While I was wasting time, I tried coming up with various scenarios where Troy Murphy gets traded. So if you're bored, feel free to take a look:

Scenario 1:
    The trade

Pacers trade: Troy Murphy ($9,206,349, 4 yrs)
    Pacers receive: Eric Snow ($6,703,125, 2 yrs), Fred Jones ($3,300,000, 1 yr)

Knicks trade: Stephon Marbury ($19,012,500, 2 yrs), Fred Jones ($3,300,000, 1 yr)
    Knicks receive: Troy Murphy ($9,206,349, 4 yrs), Larry Hughes ($12,000,084, 3 yrs)

Cavs trade: Larry Hughes ($12,000,084, 3 yrs), Eric Snow ($6,703,125, 2 yrs)
    Cavs receive: Stephon Marbury ($19,012,500, 2 yrs)

Why they would do it and why they wouldn't do it

Why the Pacers would do it: They get rid of Murphy's ridiculous contract and open up more playing time for Ike and Harrison. Also, they get a decent backup PG in Eric Snow (Yes, he's old, but you can't tell me he'd wouldn't be a better backup than Diener). Then, they have Fred Jones around just in case Quis goes down for a long period of time.

Why the Pacers wouldn't do it: It leaves the Pacers with one less big man. Considering the injury history of JO and the Pacers in general, that could bite them down the road.

Why the Knicks would do it: The Knicks get rid of the malcontent Marbury and open up playing time for Robinson and Collins. Isiah Thomas is their GM.

Why the Knicks wouldn't do it: Because Isiah probably got fired and the new GM would know he should probably stay away from this. Murphy and Hughes have horrible contracts, with both of them having more years remaining than Marbury's. They're loaded at the wing positions, so Hughes wouldn't get much time (but hey, Fred Jones gets playing time, so maybe he would). They have a lot of big men with bad contracts too, so why add another one?

Why the Cavs would do it: They're desperate to get a betting supporting cast around LeBron. Snow is a bad starting PG and Hughes is inconsistent and injury prone. Marbury is at least somewhat of a scoring threat. He can't really be relied on in crunch time, but LeBron handles the crunch time stuff anyway. They think a change of scenery and playing next to LeBron could do wonders for Marbury and change him into a good team player.

Why the Cavs wouldn't do it: They wouldn't want Marbury to mess up team chemistry or bring his baggage with him.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scenario 2:
    The trade

Pacers trade: Troy Murphy ($9,206,349, 4 yrs)
    Pacers receive: Speedy Claxton ($6,306,182, 3 yrs), Lorenzen Wright ($3,250,000, 1 yr)

Hawks trade: Speedy Claxton ($6,306,182, 3 yrs), Lorenzen Wright ($3,250,000, 1 yr)
    Hawks receive: Troy Murphy ($9,206,349, 4 yrs)

Why they would do it and why they wouldn't do it

Why the Pacers would do it: They get rid of Troy Murphy's contract and open up time for Harrison and Ike. They get back Speedy's bad contract, but he's a better backup than Diener. Wright would be an emergency big man and wouldn't be re-signed at the end up the season, clearing up a little bit of cap space.

Why the Pacers wouldn't do it: I don't know.

Why the Hawks would do it: They have a logjam at PG and not enough minutes to go around. They at least get rid of one PG (who has a bad contact, btw) to help clear it up a bit. Murphy has a bad contract too, but he could be a decent big man for them.

Why the Hawks wouldn't do it: They have a logjam at PG, but they're not about to trade for Murphy's crappy contract to help clear it up.

OK, I need to quit wasting time and get to work...
    Last edited by Aw Heck; 12-05-2007 at 11:41 PM.

Default Re: Get rid of Troy Murphy

I commend you for not working. I am doing much of the same. I really, really like that first trade. It's one of those "makes too much sense to occur" trades though. Also, I think that NY may have one bad contract too many for that one. If the Randolph trade hadn't happened, maybe we could have pulled that off.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If we can get Fred Jones, who I think would look great in our system, for Murphy, who looks good in no one's system, that in and of itself is a victory.

If we also got a back up PG like Snow who would be good enough to (hopefully) let Quis go back to the wing and would essentially do a better job of playing the role Deiner couldn't do in the first 10 games of the year when he had his shot, all the better.

Bobcats Looking To Deal After Losing Out On Varejao

Successful Trade Scenario
    Congratulations on a successful trade.

Due to Indiana and Charlotte being over the cap, the 25% trade rule is invoked. Indiana and Charlotte had to be no more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Indiana Trade Breakdown
    Change in Team Outlook: -5.8 ppg, -1.9 rpg, and -1.3 apg.

Incoming Players
    Walter Herrmann
    6-10 PF from Argentina (Foreign)
    3.7 ppg, 2.1 rpg, 0.3 apg in 10.4 minutes
    Primoz Brezec
    7-1 C from Solvenia (Foreign)
    1.8 ppg, 2.2 rpg, 0.4 apg in 13.3 minutes
    Adam Morrison
    6-8 SF from Gonzaga
    No games yet played in 2007/08
    Outgoing Players
    Troy Murphy
    6-11 PF from Notre Dame
    11.3 ppg, 6.2 rpg, 2.0 apg in 25.4 minutes

Walter Hermann? Wasn't that guy good last year?

Even if the salaries matched up, I doubt we could get a single one of those guys for Murphy straight up from Charlotte.

Troy as a player has much more value to the Pacers then Troy as trade bait right now. He hasn't played great so far this year, but his shooting touch and rebounding as a big man are too important to us to throw away for a bag of chips.

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    too important to us to throw away for a bag of chips.
    His salary will handicap this club for the next four years.

No way either trade goes through. But I'd take both in a heartbeat.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Charlotte has cap room.

I don't think a team in this league is going to blow their cap room for Troy Murphy, especially not if it means giving up a few assets from their own end.

Yeah, they're desperate for a bigman, but they could get a Murphy level impact bigman for far less.

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

What about trading him to Orlando? I think they have some expiring contracts to throw around and their GM isn't that brilliant anyways and has no problem with huge contracts (see battie and lewis). They've been playing rashard lewis out of position IMO at PF and he'd be better off as a SF. All those guys do down their anyways is sit at the 3-point line and wait for the defense to collapse on Dwight Howard and they wait for a pass back out for an open 3, and we know murph loves just sitting on that 3 point line.

Trouble is I have no idea who we would get back or want out of that deal. If we could just get expiring contract, serviceable backup pg, 1st or 2nd round draft pick i'd pop the champagne bottles. We could get Carlos Arroyo who has one year left on his contract and Tony Battie who has 3 years left on his contract (1 less than murphy), you can scoff at the battie thing but he played the best ball of his life under O'Brian. We could even ship back their beloved ballboy if they feel they need a pg back.

Incoming Players
    Troy Murphy
    6-11 PF from Notre Dame
    11.3 ppg, 6.3 rpg, 1.9 apg in 25.2 minutes
    Outgoing Players
    Keyon Dooling
    6-3 PG from Missouri
    7.8 ppg, 1.2 rpg, 1.5 apg in 18.1 minutes
    Pat Garrity
    6-9 PF from Notre Dame
    2.6 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 0.8 apg in 13.3 minutes

Some Murphy ideas.

Pacers Get: Antoine Walker

Timberwolves Get: Troy Murphy

Everyone hates Walker. I don't think much of him but there is a team opition on his contract after next year. So don't exercise that and that is the only reason I do this trade.

---
    Pacers Get: Mark Blount, cash or filler
    Heat Get: Troy Murphy

The Heat need to shake things up more still so maybe they would give Troy a try.

Blount isn't much but he is a little cheaper. He played for Jim before in Boston. I'm sure he can defend better than Troy.

---
    Pacers Get: Mike James or Rafer Alston, Kirk Snyder, Steve Novak and/or cash
    Rockets Get: Troy Murphy and/or David Harrison

Not sure if the Rockets would want Troy, and if they did would DH be needed for them to take on Troy's contract? IDK.

We could still use some guard help. The Rockets could defiantly use some big help. So I think both clubs are good trading partners.

One thing is it is hard to trade small for big. May up Troy's value a little to the Rockets.

I like Mike James. Good shooter and defender. Alston is alright, better than what we have backing up Jamaal. Snyder is a young talent, nothing to brag about though.

Murphy gives the Rockets another shooter. Maybe a good fit in the Princeton offense? They defiantly need more size.
    ---
    Not for sure who to expect to get for Troy. I really don't expect to deal him. But hey we can all dream I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by esabyrn333 View Post
    Incoming Players
    Troy Murphy
    6-11 PF from Notre Dame
    Outgoing Players
    Keyon Dooling
    6-3 PG from Missouri
    Pat Garrity
    6-9 PF from Notre Dame
    That would be an excellent trade.

For us.

Quote Originally Posted by esabyrn333 View Post
    Incoming Players
    Troy Murphy
    6-11 PF from Notre Dame
    Outgoing Players
    Keyon Dooling
    6-3 PG from Missouri
    Pat Garrity
    6-9 PF from Notre Dame
    The Magic already have more than massive deals being given out to Rashard and Dwight.

They can't afford to give another $10M+ per year contract to anyone. At least they can't afford to give one out to someone who isn't more than just a role player who isn't even a starter. Just financially not possible/practical.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Murphy for Cardinal and Stoudamire?

Mood

How about adding Quiz in a trade with Murph. I'm sure a lot of people would be interested in seeing how his unorthodox style could fit in their systems.