Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 64 of 64

Thread: Attendance

  1. #51
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,762

    Default Re: Attendance

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Has anybody discussed the atmosphere at the games themselves? No, playing 82 games probably isn't going to bring a college rivalry atmosphere to a random Tuesday night game in December, but I think the Pacers need to really take a look at the atmosphere in Conseco and set out to find ways to change it.

    I'm not sure they actually need to do more, in fact sometimes I think they could accomplish more with less.

    But as much as I hate the airplane races and the like, I have a feeling what is really needed is impossible with today's mindset and economic motivations: They need to make the lower bowl more economically accessible to people who care about the games.

    Sure, 10.00 tix in the balcony is pretty affordable, but does little to sell or improve the atmosphere. Particularly of a team that is having trouble rebuilding its fanbase anyway.

    So, while serious reductions in ticket prices would be a place I'd look I have a feeling this would never happen in any serious 'chopping' but at best would be in tiny, tiny increments. And that probably wouldn't garner the "buzz" that it would to just do the discounts in one large cut.

    Barring that, the only other place to try and make the games more affordable is lowering concession prices. Just make popcorn and soft-drinks uber-reasonable and keep gouging on the other stuff. But that is probably just an incremental approach that would be nice, but it's impact wouldn't happen overnight like making the lower bowl much more affordable.

    IMO If you really want to hook people on attending games and rebuild the fanbase, they need to find a rabid atmosphere at the games... something they can't get at home watching the game on the couch.

    -Bball
    That is an excellent point. I was thinking about this the other day as I watched a couple minutes of a college basketball game (I watched a few second of the IU - Geo. Tech game) I was asking myself why don't the fans who go to NBA games get into it like they do for college games. Sure, I know the obvious argument that there are 82 games and it just doesn't seem every game is important. But for the 2 hours that you are sitting there watching it, you are already there, you drove to the games, walked through cold weather, paid good money - why not get into the game, why not cheer a little, wouldn't that make it more fun - if everyone did that the atmosphere would be completely different.

    But I don't know what Pacers management could do to get people excited during a game. Anymore it seems to me that people are half asleep during the game action and get excited for timeouts and quarter breaks. Now it seems like the fans only get into it during the last 4 or 5 minutes of a really close game.

  2. #52
    Administrator Roaming Gnome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,935

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Attendance

    Quote Originally Posted by bball
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They need to make the lower bowl more economically accessible to people who care about the games.
    I believe they are trying with the $35 tickets in the section that's behind the home basket. $35 is pretty good considering the next section over is $81, I believe.
    Last edited by Roaming Gnome; 12-07-2007 at 03:55 PM.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

  3. #53
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,614

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Attendance

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That is an excellent point. I was thinking about this the other day as I watched a couple minutes of a college basketball game (I watched a few second of the IU - Geo. Tech game) I was asking myself why don't the fans who go to NBA games get into it like they do for college games.

    .

    I think that's an easy one to answer.

    Speaking as an IU student and season ticket holder, I believe that IU/college game crowds are excited because of students. There is something special about going to the games with a large group of friends and then sitting within hundreds of other students (granted, IU doesn't have a true student sections but there are a couple of great areas where only students sit). Students go absolute crazy for basketball games here.

    This is something the NBA/Pacers will never have. Most of the crowd noise you are t.v. is of the students. There's just something about it that is so exciting. Students love to go with their friends to games and act crazy, and believe me, down here they go absolutely wild for the basketball team. Constant yelling, constant chanting, screaming during every play.

    The students are what make college basketball game crowds exciting. If you look at most of the adults at Assembly Hall, they are usually just sitting down for the most part.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 12-07-2007 at 04:47 PM.

  4. #54
    This must be a bad dream.
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Not really where I want to be.
    Posts
    1,369
    Mood

    Sports Logo

    Lightbulb Re: Attendance

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But I don't know what Pacers management could do to get people excited during a game. Anymore it seems to me that people are half asleep during the game action and get excited for timeouts and quarter breaks. Now it seems like the fans only get into it during the last 4 or 5 minutes of a really close game.


    Get rid of Bowser and bring back Dancing Harry !


  5. #55
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,011

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Attendance

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam1987 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think that's an easy one to answer.

    Speaking as an IU student and season ticket holder, I believe that IU/college game crowds are excited because of students. There is something special about going to the games with a large group of friends and then sitting within hundreds of other students (granted, IU doesn't have a true student sections but there are a couple of great areas where only students sit). Students go absolute crazy for basketball games here.

    This is something the NBA/Pacers will never have. Most of the crowd noise you are t.v. is of the students. There's just something about it that is so excited. Students love to go with their friends to games and act crazy, and believe me, down here they go absolutely wild for the basketball team. Constant yelling, constant chanting, yelling during every play.

    The students are what make college basketball game crowds exciting. If you look at most of the adults at Assembly Hall, they are usually just sitting down for the most part.
    Along with where they are mostly sitting in regards to the court. Having wild crazy fans up at the top isn't going to have the same effect as having them on top of the court.

  6. #56
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,629

    Default Re: Attendance

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Has anybody discussed the atmosphere at the games themselves?

    ...

    IMO If you really want to hook people on attending games and rebuild the fanbase, they need to find a rabid atmosphere at the games... something they can't get at home watching the game on the couch.
    Call me "The Grinch", but the one thing I can't stand is the NOISE NOISE NOISE NOISE!

    The whole freakin' game there are race car sounds, loud music, flying t-shirts, a big drum, dance routines, you name it.

    Sensory overload man, sensory overload.

    Maybe the crowd would make more noise if the place was quiet if they didn't?

    Maybe they should (heavily) advertise a couple of "just basketball nights" and see how the attendance and the crowd respond?

    Indiana Pacers: Just basketball!

    Now that's a slogan!
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  7. #57
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,611

    Default Re: Attendance

    I understand that in this day and age they are trying to entertain the people who are there because, well they were either brought or drug there.

    So the analogy from U.B. that some people get far more excited about the "dance cam" or "flex cam" or whatever other cam is really not off at all.

    Also let's not confuse big time NCAA division 1 basketball crowds with all college basketball crowds.

    I've been to a Wabash college basketball game and there were maybe, and I mean maybe 500 people there and the the atmosphere was dead.

    Also let's not kid ourselves either, a lot of those people are not fans of college basketball. They are there to be part of the show.

    Call me a prude, but I am not there to watch people make fools of themselves.

    I'm there to see a game.

    While I'm on a rant I will tell you one thing that is really p!ssing me off at pacer games and has for a few years now.

    Reb Porter, who I always considered to be one of the better ring announcers, has over the past few years been yelling into the PA for people to "get on your feet, get up, get your neighbors up it's time for tip-off. As everybody knows nobody sits for a tip-off in Indiana"

    Really? Since when?

    I really only noticed this start when DJ Paul B was here but Reb has continued it.

    Talk about dumb, everybody is supposed to stand yell and cheer while the players are out on the floor slapping five to one another, stretching and whatever else they do.

    I'm sorry but I just find it rude that they constantly are telling us what to do and when to do it in a very loud obnoxious voice.

    Also do we truely need two differant m.c.'s per night? Actually do we even need one?


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  8. #58
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,751

    Default Re: Attendance

    I think we really need to panic if the playoff games aren't getting people to come down to Conseco.

  9. #59
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,629

    Default Re: Attendance

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm sorry but I just find it rude that they constantly are telling us what to do and when to do it in a very loud obnoxious voice.
    Damn straight! The more he tells me to "GET ON YOUR FEET!!!!" the more firmly I keep my butt planted in the seat.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  10. #60

    Default Re: Attendance

    This thread has gone cold and perhaps I ought to let it die, but...

    Quote Originally Posted by MrThunder MakeR
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There is no need for complex market analysis and its leisure spending.
    Yes there is. Our analysis is not important, since we're not the employed by PS&E. But when the topic of attendance is brought up we ought to discuss sensibly.

    1. How the Pacers play and how many games they win does not alone determine attendance at the games.

    A good, exciting, entertaining, competitive, blue-collar style of play on the floor that results in a winning record in the standings is probably a necessary condition to better attendance. But it is not sufficient by itself.

    2. The amount of money out there to be spent is not a factor. Friends, we're spending billions ($3.5 to $4 billion a year just by Marion and the surrounding counties, not counting people who drive here from farther away.

    The problem is not that people lost factory jobs and no longer have enough income to spend on basketball games. The problem for the Pacers is that people are spending their billions on other kinds of entertainment.

    Quick, it you could have all the money taking in this year by PS&E, or all the money taking in this year by bowling alleys and golf courses, which would you take?


    BBall and Doug and others are right in making tyhe point that a lot of people don't think attending games is worth it.

    Last thought. MrThunderMakeR, do you really think that the Pacers' marketing director is sitting in his office, staring at the ceiling thinking, "Yeah, ticket sales will go up as soon as the team starts playing better?"

    You're darn betcha he's not. He's thinking about all the issues that the several posters in this thread have said.


    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

  11. #61
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,762

    Default Re: Attendance

    Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe they should (heavily) advertise a couple of "just basketball nights" and see how the attendance and the crowd respond?

    Indiana Pacers: Just basketball!

    Now that's a slogan!
    If they did that I would buy extra tickets just to show my 100% support of the idea.

    Peck, I agree with you, I don't like when they tell the fans to cheer, or stand up, whatever happened to fans doing that because they are caught up in the action of the game. But I think a lot of fans (or those that attend the games) have gotten so conditioned being told what to do, they aren;t sure what to do unless they are told.

    In big playoff games fans used to always stand for the tip-off, but no one told us too, we did because we wanted to
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 12-08-2007 at 10:28 AM.

  12. #62
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Attendance

    I know it flopped when Cuban tried it in Dallas, but I'd love to try that here. Actually, don't get rid of it all, but cut it down at least 67% to throw a bone to the kids and light-Pacers fans who like that stuff when they go. Don't leave them out in the cold and it might work.

    Better yet, spend your night's budget on 1/3 as much stuff to make what you do that much sweeter to keep them around. Better acts, better free stuff.

  13. #63
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,055

    Default Re: Attendance

    Part of the problem is some of the crap they give out is sponsored by someone. Someone gives you X amount of dollars to pedal their crap what is PS&E supposed to say?

    I know some of you seem to have a pretty decent relationship with your ticket reps. Why don't you voice your displeasure to them and see what they say. I'd guess they'd tell you the marketing department says throwing those 50 cent yellow balls out in the balcony has raised ticket sales by X amount. Stop throwing out those things and attendance will drop even further. At least that's what they'll tell you.

  14. #64
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: Attendance

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's a bit of a leap considering attendance was dropping like a stone during previous years of player-centric marketing. The only conclusion that should be drawn is that the non-player-centric advertising doesn't seem to have worked any better, though you still don't know if player-centric ads would have actually drawn more or fewer people to the arena.

    All that said, I remember reading in the Clippers Non-Broadcasted Game thread that the Pacers actually PAY to be broadcast on FSI. You'd think they could figure out how to also get some over-the-air stations involved if that was the case, though the difficulty is that there is no independent OTA station with a decent broadcasting range any more.
    The local affiliate (cable) has had a brutal time selling advert space too. Thus the PSA and Pacers ads all over the place. I was hoping it would pick up as they started winning, but so far it doesn't appear that it has.

    When you see an ad about "give someone a compliment, brought to you by people for a happier community" (or whatever that was in the ORL game) you know that ad space is wide open right now.


    It's not the rep, that's total BS. Unless Peyton, Marvin and Edge had this horrible rep in 2003 when 2 games were blacked out and I was able to buy tickets to any game I wanted. Heck, the 49 TD year after the Chargers game I went right down and got 4 seats together for the playoff game vs Denver.

    That told me all I needed to know about the Indy fanbase. Reggie's Pacers got the same disinterest for years, despite playoff caliber teams, despite pushing the Celtics to the brink of elimination with high-profile stars like Chuck beside him, despite having a 2 time 6th man of the year/all-star in Detlef beside him.

Similar Threads

  1. wow does anyone go to pacers games anymore?
    By OnlyPacersLeft in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 04-26-2011, 07:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •