Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Attendance

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Attendance

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Mal, my conclusion is simple. You need to move to Indianapolis.

Or just move Louisville, Cincy, Chicago here.

Rambo, I understand what you are saying about ticket prices and granted the prices for anything other than balcony seats are rather expensive - although the ticket prices have been lowered in the club level/upper sections 19, 20, 1, and 2 down to $35.00 - which is a good price for those seats.

But the balcony prices have been lowered across the board to what I believe are reasonable prices.
    There is a couple of sections in the balcony where you can get a full season ticket for 299.00. 45 games at 299.00 is a great bargain. That is $6.65 per game. And that also includes the first row of the balcony. That is a great deal. But even the $10.00 and $20.00 balcony seats are a bargain. And for most games so far, you would have no problem moving down to better seats within the balcony

I think the seats are rather comfortable, I've never found them to be cramped and little. Now the Colts seats are cramped, little and uncomfortable.

I completely agree with you Putnam. Just running the numbers, (Conseco did hold 18,345, but when they did the Legends area last season, I think it lowered it down to 18,200 or so) that is not a huge amount of people. The population in the area is more than enough to support the pacers - the problem is right now not enough people want to support them

The Pepsi corner $299 seats are a good bargain if you plan on attending
    even just half the home games - for just one person. Personally I like
    the $25 seats if they are in a good location (IE: situated near center court).

But alot of folks aren't looking at getting tickets for just themselves, but at
    least one other to go with them, if not more...and that adds up fast.

For $35 you can easily take a date to a local watering hole, get nice
    comfortable seats in front of a large screen TV, have a bite to eat along
    with plenty of cold refreshments. While not the same as being there
    and being able to cheer the team on in person, it is almost like having the
    best seats in the house for a sizable fraction of the cost.

Sorry about having to be a cheapskate, but I'm not some rich Doctor,
    or Lawyer, or Pro Athlete who has tons of money handed to them on a
    silver platter to just throw around on a whim without forethought.

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
    If that's the case I've never knew about it, i've just drove around and tried to find an open lot and a reasonably priced one but ones that are within like an 8 block radius seem to start out at like 8-10 dollars and go up after a few hours quite a bit. It could also have been that the games I have went to the lot was full.
    if you don't mind walking a block just park on the street by The Slippery Noodle for free, thats what I do. Then you can drink some reasonably priced beer and walk to game instead of paying rediculous prices.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Quote Originally Posted by Mal
    It's just not that simple.
    Of course, it isn't. I was responding to the argument that "Indianapolis is too small to support the Pacers." It isn't.

Indianapolis and Central Indiana have many times more people and dollars than are needed to support the team. Not all those dollars are spent on leisure, but if you look at leisure spending only Central Indiana still has many times more people and dollars than are needed to support the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal
    My conclusion from all of this is that there just are not that many people who either care enough, have the required desire, and/or have the time and money needed to attend Pacers games on a regular basis in this market.

Sure. And then, do we define the problem as too few people, or not enough interest? I think it becomes much more soluble if we say there are enough people and there is enough leisure money, and then discuss how to raise the Pacers' share of leisure spending and entertainment attendance.

I believe the Pacers franchise is going to continue to succeed here in this city. The question is: are we going to succeed like the New York Knicks, or like the Green Bay Packers do? I'm guessin' the latter. And the first step there is to quit worrying about the size of your community.
    Last edited by Putnam; 12-06-2007 at 01:19 PM.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    Of course, it isn't. I was responding to the argument that "Indianapolis is too small to support the Pacers." It isn't.

Indianapolis and Central Indiana have many times more people and dollars than are needed to support the team. Not all those dollars are spent on leisure, but if you look at leisure spending only Central Indiana still has many times more people and dollars than are needed to support the team.

Sure. And then, do we define the problem as too few people, or not enough interest? I think it becomes much more soluble if we say there are enough people and there is enough leisure money, and then discuss how to raise the Pacers' share of leisure spending and entertainment attendance.

Thank you for explaining my point better than I did. I didn't want to get into a debate about how city size is calculated. I was just trying to say Indianapolis and it's outlying areas ( all of which are not included in those numbers) provide an ample number of people and dollars. The reason people aren't coming has nothing to do with the size of the city or the amount of money. New restaurants, bars, malls, shopping centers, grocery stores etc.. are popping up all over the place. These places follow people and money. Downtown itself has seen an enormous growth in crazy priced housing. Hell, I don't even have a job and I've been to 5 games this season.

I live in Dallas and not Indiana. But I never go see the mav's.

I cannot see going to a sporting event when I can watch the game in HD on my pioneer elite plasma. I would rather sit on a nice comfy leather couch and for the cost of one soda at the game I can buy a 24 pack lol.

Although if I did live in indy I would attend several games just for the experience

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Pacers basketball needs to be a subject you can talk about in general public without getting laughed at, or asked, "you still care about those _____? (Losers, thugs, a-holes). Until that general consensus changes around Indy, the attendance is going to be low

How do you expect people show up when they are too embarrassed to talk about the team.

I honestly don't know what the answer is to generate intrest but the very first thing that has to happen is to convince the public that its ok to be a fan.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Quote Originally Posted by RamBo_Lamar View Post
    Sorry about having to be a cheapskate, but I'm not some rich Doctor,
    or Lawyer, or Pro Athlete who has tons of money handed to them on a
    silver platter to just throw around on a whim without forethought.

Neither am I. Although just for the record, I think people in the three professions you mention - also work very hard for their money and often have to go to school for a long time and have huge student loans to repay for their efforts. - I understand the point you are making though

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    Pacers basketball needs to be a subject you can talk about in general public without getting laughed at, or asked, "you still care about those _____? (Losers, thugs, a-holes). Until that general consensus changes around Indy, the attendance is going to be low

How do you expect people show up when they are too embarrassed to talk about the team.

I honestly don't know what the answer is to generate intrest but the very first thing that has to happen is to convince the public that its ok to be a fan.

There is some truth to that - agreed.

I have co-workers who do not follow the Pacers, but could probably tell
    you who the Linebackers for the Philly Eagles are. One in particular that
    says he used to be a Utah Jazz fan, still calls the Pacers a bunch of "thugs".
    NBA fans (if that's what you want to call them) around here have always
    been sort of odd. Remember when the Charlotte Hornets first came into
    the league as an expansion team? There were more people running around
    wearing Hornets jerseys and jackets than wearing Pacers stuff. It made
    me want to go up to every last one of them and scream "what the hell
    is wrong with you?".

Am just hoping when Tins and Quis have their day in court, the outcome
    is favorable and doesn't end up resulting in more damage being done. It's
    already been enough of an uphill battle as it is.

Neither am I. Although just for the record, I think people in the three professions you mention - also work very hard for their money and often have to go to school for a long time and have huge student loans to repay for their efforts. - I understand the point you are making though

Thank you Unclebuck for cutting me some slack on my little "tirade" there.

Yes, there are many hard-working professionals in those fields who are
    worth every bit of the good pay they receive. What I said was a bit
    over the edge - my apologies.

I guess I just see it as a shame that someone with a family who is struggling
    to make ends meet can't have the opportunity to attend alot of games like
    someone well-off can. Like the good old Pepsi Coliseum days when they could.
    Last edited by RamBo_Lamar; 12-06-2007 at 05:02 PM. Reason: clarification

That damn Jon Koncak...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Koncak

Quote Originally Posted by RamBo_Lamar View Post
    Yeah, he's got no excuse for not being a season ticket holder. He can afford it........
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

I think there is a pretty simple reason for the low attendance: the Pacer's are not a good team and haven't been for several seasons! There is no need for complex market analysis and its leisure spending. The answer is right in front of our eyes (or in the W-L column). Despite the "In 49 other states..." saying, Indiana fans are just as, or maybe even more fickle than those other 49.

Everyone is a bandwagon fan, or just about everyone. Here in Phoenix I hear it everyday that I should be a Suns fan because I live here and the Suns are winning. They don't understand why I would be loyal to a team half-way across the country that basically "sucks". And those same people didn't give a hoot about the Suns four years ago.

Really the only way the attendance is going to go back up is when the Pacers put down a couple good win streaks (more than 3 games in a row) and get some statement wins against really good teams. A second round playoff appearance would also help immensely. Until then Conseco is going to remain empty.
    Last edited by Mr.ThunderMakeR; 12-06-2007 at 04:20 PM.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

And what may be a completely pointless stat, but the Pacers have the fewest attendance numbers while on the road.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.ThunderMakeR View Post
    I think there is a pretty simple reason for the low attendance: the Pacer's are not a good team and haven't been for several seasons!
    How could the Pacers beat Utah and Dallas and not be a good team? No, they're not the Colts, but they are floating around 0.500 after going through a bunch of injuries and off-season surgery recoveries and learning a new system...

I would venture a guess that the economy is partly to blame... Bad news out of Lilly for some.

Only 12,100 showed up for the Boston game... that surprised me.

So here is the question. If the pacers were forced to leave indy would you all still be pacers fans?

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

this stuff really pisses me off. I asked the bartender at Carrabbas to turn on the game one time and he pretty much laughed at me. Than they "didn't know what channel" it was and they didn't make much of an effort to look.

Everyone says the pacers are all thugs and they probably can't even name what players they are talking about. I wonder if people even realize Stephan Jackson got traded...
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

I was at the Suns game the other night and my recent trip to Indianapolis brought something interesting to mind I haven't seen posted here yet.

Everywhere I watched TV, in my hotel room, at my family's place, bars I attended, etc. all showed football the entire day. The basketball I got to see on tv was college bball, and the only NBA bball shown were just short clips.

There's just not that much basketball on tv so people probably won't follow it as much as football.

By the way I really liked Conseco very much, what a great place to see a game!
    Maceo Baston's #1 fan on Pacers Digest!

Another electrician that I work with has started to get on board with what he was seeing with the Pacers. He suggested to his wife going to a game. Her first response was, "why would I go see a bunch of thugs" and totally balked at the idea because she would be embarrassed to have tell her friends and co-workers that she went to a Pacer game. Tom went on to explain that his wife really knows nothing about the team, or them moving certain players, but only what she's heard around her work place. He didn't want to go by himself, and none of his friends were interested. So, he just settled for catching the game on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_Force
    I asked the bartender at Carrabbas to turn on the game one time and he pretty much laughed at me. Than they "didn't know what channel" it was and they didn't make much of an effort to look.
    As I mentioned before, I don't know if time will cure this or a certain threshold of winning, but this whole concept of the Pacers being as popular as "road kill skunk" on a hot summer's day has to end before the above attitudes change let alone those seats in the Fieldhouse even begin to fill.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

IMHO: The economy sucks in this state, we've lost probably 100,000 jobs. This coming April down in Bedford (my hometown) our Ford plant is closing (800 jobs going to Mexico) you need a cheap place to live come here in May 2008. Homes here have dropped 25% already. People don't have the money that they did 4-5 years ago.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

Quote Originally Posted by Alpolloloco View Post
    By the way I really liked Conseco very much, what a great place to see a game!
    Glad you liked it!

Quote Originally Posted by aceace View Post
    IMHO: The economy sucks in this state, we've lost probably 100,000 jobs. This coming April down in Bedford (my hometown) our Ford plant is closing (800 jobs going to Mexico) you need a cheap place to live come here in May 2008. Homes here have dropped 25% already. People don't have the money that they did 4-5 years ago.
    That employment stats do not concur with your thoughts. I don't know about your town specificially, but the stats overall is doing just fine.

That employment stats do not concur with your thoughts. I don't know about your town specificially, but the stats overall is doing just fine.
    Off topic ahead- proceed with caution!!!

But, one thing the employment stats won't give you is the number of decent paying, family supporting manufacturing jobs that have been lost and replaced by lower wage service oriented jobs that are not conducive to supporting a family, unless you work 2 of them along with a spouse that has a low wage gig of her own.

This state is notorious for hyping up these low wage jobs as a messiah to the loss of decent paying jobs.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Off topic ahead- proceed with caution!!!

But, one thing the employment stats won't give you is the number of decent paying, family supporting manufacturing jobs that have been lost and replaced by lower wage service oriented jobs that are not conducive to supporting a family, unless you work 2 of them along with a spouse that has a low wage gig of her own.

This state is notorious for hyping up these low wage jobs as a messiah to the loss of decent paying jobs.
    I agree with that, the state has lost a ton of manufacturing jobs. They have gotten some new ones also, but clearly it has been a net minus for year after year.

Has anybody discussed the atmosphere at the games themselves? No, playing 82 games probably isn't going to bring a college rivalry atmosphere to a random Tuesday night game in December, but I think the Pacers need to really take a look at the atmosphere in Conseco and set out to find ways to change it.

I'm not sure they actually need to do more, in fact sometimes I think they could accomplish more with less.

But as much as I hate the airplane races and the like, I have a feeling what is really needed is impossible with today's mindset and economic motivations: They need to make the lower bowl more economically accessible to people who care about the games.

Sure, 10.00 tix in the balcony is pretty affordable, but does little to sell or improve the atmosphere. Particularly of a team that is having trouble rebuilding its fanbase anyway.

So, while serious reductions in ticket prices would be a place I'd look I have a feeling this would never happen in any serious 'chopping' but at best would be in tiny, tiny increments. And that probably wouldn't garner the "buzz" that it would to just do the discounts in one large cut.

Barring that, the only other place to try and make the games more affordable is lowering concession prices. Just make popcorn and soft-drinks uber-reasonable and keep gouging on the other stuff. But that is probably just an incremental approach that would be nice, but it's impact wouldn't happen overnight like making the lower bowl much more affordable.

IMO If you really want to hook people on attending games and rebuild the fanbase, they need to find a rabid atmosphere at the games... something they can't get at home watching the game on the couch.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden