Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Troy Murphy

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Troy Murphy

Right now Shawne Williams can do everything that Murph can do and do it better plus he's a better ball handler, defender, and he's more athletic.

Once Ike gets back, he'll be the Raef LaFrentz of the east. Which means that he will be tradeable but only if you bundle him with young talent like Ike or Shawne or include future 1st round draft picks. Even so, he'll come in handy when we have injuries and he'll have a few games where he shoots and rebounds well.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

I bet he starts one of the next three games and plays well and then nobody will remember wanting to trade him because we will have moved on to Kareem Rush by then. What can we get for him?

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    The silver lining is that we just may be able to trade his $12 million expiring contract for a good player in 2010/2011.
    I think JO's contract leaves us about the same time as well as Tinsley and Dunleavy all around the same time. I looked around for a list of players that would be available around that time. Here's what I found.

LeBron isn't the only premier player whose contract is scheduled to expire at the end of 2009/2010. Check out this list:
    Joe Johnson, Atlanta
    Ben Wallace, Chicago
    Larry Hughes, Cleveland
    Zydrunas Ilgaukas, Cleveland
    Josh Howard (Team Option for 2010/2011, very affordable, so unlikely to be free)
    Dirk Nowitzki (player option for 2010/2011, for $21,513,524, unlikely to opt out)
    Rip Hamilton, Detroit
    Al Harrington, Golden State
    Stephen Jackson, Golden State
    Tracy McGrady, Houston
    Rafer Alston, Houston
    Jermaine O'Neal, Indiana
    Cuttino Mobley, LAC
    Tim Thomas, LAC
    Kobe Bryant, LAL (player option for 2009/2010, 2010/2011)
    Mike Miller, Memphis
    Shaquille O'Neal, Miami
    Dwayne Wade, Miami
    Bobby Simmons, Milwaukee
    Andrew Bogut, Milwaukee
    Charles Villanueva, Milwaukee
    Chris Paul, New Orleans
    Quentin Richardson, NYK
    Jerome James, NYK
    Hidayet Turkoglu, Orl
    Amare Stoudemire (player option, underpaid)
    Steve Nash
    Raja Bell
    Darius Miles
    Brad Miller
    Shareef Abdul-Rahim
    Kenny Thomas
    Tim Duncan
    Emanuel Ginobili
    Ray Allen
    Earl Watson
    Luke Ridnour
    Chris Bosh (player option, underpaid)
    TJ Ford ($8,500,000 player option, hard to tell if that is a good deal for him or not)
    Carlos Boozer (can opt out in 08/09)
    Mehmet Okur (can opt out in 08/09)
    Deron Williams
    Marcus Camby
    Marquis Daniels
    Andrew Bynum
    Udonis Haslem

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Goldfoot View Post
    I bet he starts one of the next three games and plays well and then nobody will remember wanting to trade him
    I've been pretty consistent in my position... I've been saying this since the trade. It was the primary reason I didn't like the trade.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I don't like him either. I was just poking some fun at the "Let's trade this guy this week" brigade.

streets ahead

I bet he starts one of the next three games and plays well and then nobody will remember wanting to trade him because we will have moved on to Kareem Rush by then. What can we get for him?
    the nets are looking to move kidd....
    This is the darkest timeline.

I don't like him either. I was just poking some fun at the "Let's trade this guy this week" brigade.
    I'd trade any of our guys if I thought we'd come out ahead, but Murphy is the only one I really want gone.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    the nets are looking to move kidd....

Troy is from Jersey maybe they would want to bring their hometown boy back home

Quote Originally Posted by esabyrn333 View Post
    Troy is from Jersey maybe they would want to bring their hometown boy back home
    I wonder how much sweetener it would take to trade Troy for RJeff...

Enjoy your time at PD!

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The bottom line is, if you are seriously wanting to move Murphy, you are going to have to give up something that has value along with Murphy to get any deal done. We can suggest getting an expiring contract in return, but really.....That is pure nonsense and isn't going to happen. Why would another team give up an expiring contract for the long term contract of a guy that by all accounts has been underacheiving for years. To me, these suggestions are no different then some know nothing getting on a radio call in show suggesting that the Pacers trade the end of our bench for Dwayne Wade. Maddening, I tell you!!

Golden State had to give up something extra to move Murphy, so why do you think that it's going to be different for us? It took Golden State a good while to get rid of Murphy and it ended up costing them Diogu. Yeah, I know that you are going to tell me that Nelly had no plans for Ike, but believe you me, they could have gotten a great deal for Ike but still been stuck with Murphy's contract, so to move that contract....They had to sweeten the deal.

JUST LIKE WE WILL HAVE TO DO!!!

Personally, I'd rather just ride his contract out before doing anymore damage. He isn't a malcontent or a cancer. Best yet, he's there if either his game improves, or someone comes calling from a need/want position. I really don't care if the guy is paid to keep a seat warm. I just don't see us pulling the wool over anyone's eyes to move Murphy without it costing more then what it's worth.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    I just don't see us pulling the wool over anyone's eyes to move Murphy without it costing more then what it's worth.
    Sad but true.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sports Logo

I would like to for a minute.

We are on the hook with Troy for another $42,349,205 had we kept the player we could not keep because the market just went crazy all of the sudden. We would be on the hook for $34,125,000 not to put too fine a point on it but thats a measly $8,224,205 LESS for a two time all star than for a scrub.

Excuse me while I go throw up a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    We can suggest getting an expiring contract in return, but really.....That is pure nonsense and isn't going to happen. Why would another team give up an expiring contract for the long term contract of a guy that by all accounts has been underacheiving for years.
    I just don't see us pulling the wool over anyone's eyes to move Murphy without it costing more then what it's worth.
    Absolutley.

In the day of the luxury tax, it's kind of hard to sneak 4 years and $42M past another team's management. Yeah, Murphy is definitely a good guy and a hardworker, but if a team really wants to, they can find a hardworking good guy for a fraction of that price.

It's $42M for a guy who probably isn't going to push an NBA team over the hump that it's currently trying to get over. There are simply many cheaper alternatives when trying to acquire a Murphy type of player.