Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Troy Murphy

Default Re: Troy Murphy

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Like you said, Murphy can be traded for something of value under the right circumstances. The Warriors traded him less than a year ago, afterall.

But consider what they had to do to unload him: They had to attach an asset which was the previous year's lottery pick (Ike) and they had to take back what was considered a piece of poison (Stephen Jackson).
    Well, Jack for Dun was considered to be a 1-for-1 trade, and it was then expanded to include Ike/Murphy for Al. So we probably wouldn't have to take back poison, but we would have to include Shawne or Ike.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Step aside, King James BlueNGold's Avatar

No, Murph is not good and should never be considered a starter. Yes, Foster is a much better player and it became obvious who the better player was pretty quickly. Yes, Troy has a big fat contract that the Simons will need to eat...and that will hinder development of this team.

...and yes, Rasheed Wallace's mother could beat Troy with a stick in the post.

However, he does make a decent backup as long as Dunleavy is not on the floor at the same time. He is a good enough rebounder and scorer to be effective in spurts of 5 or 10 minutes a game IMO. Stamina seems to be an issue with him, so perhaps that's the best use to make of his abilities. Otherwise, we need to hand over talent to get out of the contract. I say sit his high paid booty on the bench and use him sparingly.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

What we really need is another point guard.

I just did the trade checker and Murphy for Tony Parker works straight up!

Just kidding. And I didn't do the trade checker.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

I wonder if there is a PG out there that is not fitting in with his current team quite so well. We need a good backup PG more than anything in the world right now.

Quote Originally Posted by justinDOHMAN View Post
    I wonder if there is a PG out there that is not fitting in with his current team quite so well. We need a good backup PG more than anything in the world right now.
    Carlos Arroyo.

He's been a poor fit in slow tempo offenses for years now, though I haven't bothered to see how he's fitting in under SVG in Orlando. But with what they're already paying Dwight and Rashard, they can't handle Murphy's salary.

Mood

Carlos wouldn't offend me in general, but then again isn't he also a prima donna in his own right? Do we want to bring that in?

Carlos Arroyo = no

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

i'd trade murphy for just about anything.

arroyo has an expiring contract remember, so there's not much risk in trying him out for half a season.

troy for arroyo and battie? battie is out for the season and has 2 more years on his contract, but it's too much to expect orlando to send us expirings only for troy

Troy can play.

He is a good player. Defiantly not perfect but he can shoot, and rebound.

He is slow. As pointed out it is a huge negative.

However Murphy can't defend. I don't care if your tall, short, slow, fast you can either defend or you can't. Murphy has shown that he can't.

Hopefully Murphy picks it up. I don't see any way we can get rid of his contract so we are likely stuck with him.

Like I said I really hope that Troy can step up and help this team win games.

I really think that the team is better without Troy. As I like our other opitions and I feel we play better as a team overall without Troy. However his contract is hard to sell to teams and so we might as well get use to seeing Troy where a Pacers jersey.

There are plenty of bad contracts out there.

Troy Murphy 9.2, 10.1, 11.0 & 12.0

Philly has:
    Sam Dalembert 9.7, 10.5, 11.4 & 12.2

New York has:
    Quentin Richardson 8.1, 8.8 & 9.4

Toronto has:
    Radoslav Nestrovic 7.8 & 8.4

Chicago has:
    Ben Wallace 15.5, 14.5 & 14.0

Cleveland has:
    Larry Hughes 12.0, 12.8 & 13.7

Milwaukee has:
    Bobby Simmons 9.3, 9.9 & 10.6

Miami has:
    Mark Blount 6.7, 7.4 & 7.9

Dallas has:
    Erick Dampier 8.6, 9.6, 10.1 &13.1

Denver has:
    Nene 8.8, 9.7, 10.5, 11.4 & 11.6

Portland has:
    Raef Lafrentz 11.8 & 12.7

Seattle has:
    Wally 12.0 & 13.0

Sacramento has:
    Brad Miller 10.5, 11.4 & 12.2

The point is there are a number of players not earning their paychecks. There are even more mid-level guys like Brian Cardinal, Jared Jeffries, Quentin Richardson, Nazr Mohammed, Juwan Howard & Speedy Claxton. The Pacers could probably find a taker for a 27 year old upstanding 6-11 Notre Dame grad with career averages of 11 & 8 who shoots the three at a 36% clip.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Goldfoot View Post
    Sacramento has:
    Brad Miller 10.5, 11.4 & 12.2
    If Larry was able to trade Trophy for Brad Miller (even today's brad miller) I would dance a jig, record it, and put it on youtube.

EDIT: Ok, working through the list more systematically: Ben Wallace is no way. Over my dead body. Other than that, I'd make most of these trades. But the other teams wouldn't. Dalembert? Dampier? Nene? Miller? These guys are pipe dreams. Rasho and Blount give more production for less money, those teams aren't trading for Murphy. Portland's not trading Raef for a longer contract, since they need the money. Ditto Seattle and Wally.

That leaves Q-Rich, Larry Hughes, and Bobby Simmons. I'd happily trade Murphy for any of those guys, but I can't imagine that the other teams would unless we included some bait.
    Last edited by Anthem; 12-06-2007 at 09:35 AM.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Didn't I read that Bird had urged Murphy to bulk up in the offseason so that he could be more physical? It seems that has backfired. I don't know if it's Murphy's fault if they told him to get bigger and now he's in no man's land playingwise.

Quote Originally Posted by McClintic Sphere View Post
    I don't know if it's Murphy's fault if they told him to get bigger and now he's in no man's land playingwise.
    If Murphy was 15 pounds lighter and a step quicker, I'd still rather David/Shawne/Ike get his minutes.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    If Murphy was 15 pounds lighter and a step quicker, I'd still rather David/Shawne/Ike get his minutes.
    Yeah, except then maybe he would still be tradeable.

Quote Originally Posted by McClintic Sphere View Post
    Yeah, except then maybe he would be tradeable.
    Maybe... or maybe less so. Not a lot of teams looking for underweight big men.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I see Portland and Atlanta as trade possibilities. Both are young teams, but both are trying to shift from rebuild mode to "win now" mode. There are minutes available for Murphy on both teams, and both would be very happy about his character. Both also have a bad contract or two to get rid of: Darius Miles, Raef LaFrentz, Speedy Claxton.

I wonder if Portland would consider Murphy for Miles (whom I hope we would buy out) and Sergio Rodriguez or Petteri Koponnen.

Atlanta could give us Speedy Claxton (backup PG) and Lorenzen Wright (expiring contract).
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    I see Portland and Atlanta as trade possibilities. Both are young teams, but both are trying to shift from rebuild mode to "win now" mode. There are minutes available for Murphy on both teams, and both would be very happy about his character. Both also have a bad contract or two to get rid of: Darius Miles, Raef LaFrentz, Speedy Claxton.
    Raef's contract is better than Murphy's. Taking Murph makes their situation worse.

I wonder if Portland would consider Murphy for Miles (whom I hope we would buy out) and Sergio Rodriguez or Petteri Koponnen.
    If we're going to go that way, why not just buy Murphy out?

Atlanta could give us Speedy Claxton (backup PG) and Lorenzen Wright (expiring contract).
    I'd do that, but there's no way Atlanta makes that trade unless they're getting a pick back. They were offered Murphy in exchange for Harrington, and refused.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I wasn't saying we should or even could trade for any of those guys. I was just revealing that other teams are sitting on pretty bad contracts too. Some of those guys are producing even less than Troy has been.

Imagine dishing out $52 million for Nene or another $41 million for Dampier. I don't see how Blount's 3.5 PPG and 2.3 RPG for $7.3 million a year is producing at a higher level or how Rasho's 5 & 5 for $8 million a year is any better than Troy's 11PPG & 6RPG for $10 million a year.

Again I wasn't trying to put together trade scenario's just pointing out some other pretty bad contracts. I wouldn't trade Troy for some of those guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Goldfoot View Post
    Imagine dishing out $52 million for Nene or another $41 million for Dampier. . . I wouldn't trade Troy for some of those guys.
    But Nene and Dampier can do two things Murphy can't do: play center and defend. You think Nene would be our fifth big man if he was here?

Other than Ben Wallace and Larry Hughes, I'd trade Murphy for any of those guys.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I wouldnt just buy the guy out.. who knows when we may actually need him. IF we can trade him to another team that then great.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

I'd trade him for Hughes.

Couldn't Hughes handle some backup point minutes?

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    I'd trade him for Hughes.

Couldn't Hughes handle some backup point minutes?
    About like Quis.

Regardless, I don't want any more players that are always injured.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post

The Warriors spent an entire summer trying to bait Atlanta into taking Murphy for Al Harrington (a free agent they were not going to bring back) in a sign and trade. They got turned down several times. They can't afford Murphy's deal, as they need to extend Josh Smith soon.

Murphy's hard working character is great, but Atlanta will probably choose to take Josh Smith and his somewhat questionable character over this.

Portland probably won't dump Miles for Murphy because Miles is injured and I read that insurance is covering for most of the contract. They trade Miles for Murphy and insurance will no longer be covering. And there is no reason to throw in one of their young PG prospects on top of this.

Portland doesn't need to do a thing. They just need to get rehab Oden and they are set. Let's be real. If they add Troy Murphy, does that make them any closer to a playoff team this year? No reason for them to spend $35M just to add a little bit of character when it won't really help them win, especially when Murphy plays the same position as their best player (Aldridge). They've already unloaded Stoudamire, Rasheed, Bonzi and other clowns. Brandon Roy, Aldridge and Steve Blake give them plenty of character.
    Last edited by d_c; 12-06-2007 at 01:48 PM.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Murphy and filler for Wally?

How about Murphy for Garcia and Kenny Thomas?

Seattle needs some FC help and might do it. Adds a shooter to open lanes for Durant and frees up PT at SG/SF for Green/Durant/Wilkins.

Sac might pass, but I would think Murphy is an upgrade over Thomas.

Maybe see about one of Seattle's PG between West, Ridnour and Watson.

Didn't we have a trade exception? Has it expired?

Seattle is a rebuilding team starting from the bottom. We're talking rock bottom. We're talking rebuilding around a guy who still hasn't turned 19 yet.

They want young guys closer to Durant's age who can grow with the team. Murphy is a middle aged player with a large contract. The only thing he's going to do is bottle up their manueverability for the next few seasons.

They would prefer to keep Wally, who expires 2 years sooner. Wally instead of Murphy gives them all sorts of options. Plus Seattle already has Collison and Wilcox, who play the same position as Murphy and are younger, better and cheaper.