Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Troy Murphy

Default Troy Murphy

Apparently last night was the first DNP-CD of Troy's career.

Thoughts?
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Sports Logo

Default Re: Troy Murphy

I guess I shouldn't be surprised.......Skinner, Amare or whoever Murphy was guarding probably would have had a career night against him.

This makes me wonder about the comments that JO'B made a couple of days ago about having a open-door policy and playing time:

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...TS04/712030379

"The bottom line is our guys know that my door is open from a standpoint of playing time and talking to them about it," O'Brien said. "You take one lineup and there's an enormous difference. If he wants to find out why, I'd be happy to explain it to him."
    and whether any of it is geared directly or indirectly at certain players...if not a particular player...like Murphy. I'm probably reading more into it then not.....but it seems odd that a player ( Murphy ) that JO'B has mentioned several times would be in the Starting lineup would get a DNP.

Hopefully, Murphy will work on whatever pushed him into JO'Bs doghouse so that he can start playing minutes again.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

He just isn't very good

O'Brien has shown a tendency to like to play smaller lineups against teams that can't punish us for it (Denver, Phoenix). I'm sure that was part of the reason for Murphy's lack of PT. I'm sure part of it was to send a message also.

I'm just wondering if he plays at all once Ike comes back.

- Salman Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    O'Brien has shown a tendency to like to play smaller lineups against teams that can't punish us for it (Denver, Phoenix). I'm sure that was part of the reason for Murphy's lack of PT. I'm sure part of it was to send a message also.

I'm just wondering if he plays at all once Ike comes back.
    I don't consider Williams any smaller than Troy Murphy. The problem with Troy is he doesn't fit into either a big lineup (teaming him with Harrison, Jeff or JO) doesn't give us a imposing frontline. Nor does he fit into a smaller lineup, because he isn't quick. He isn't big and strong nor is he small and quick.

He's small and slow. - Not a good combo.

He can shoot - but not as well as Williams. He's adecent rebounder, but not nearly as good as Jeff. Murphy does have experience over Wiiliams, Ike and david, but not over Jeff.

I really don't see any reason to play him. And that is now when Ike is still out.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    He just isn't very good
    I disagree somewhat. I think he is much better than what he is playing. If you meant that he isn't very good right now or over the last 4-5 games your right. His defense and rebounding has been terrible. He had a 20-10 game this year. Harrison has been better than him this year. That is who is stealing his minutes. The foul called on Harrison and the T was just horrible last night.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I don't consider Williams any smaller than Troy Murphy. The problem with Troy is he doesn't fit into either a big lineup (teaming him with Harrison, Jeff or JO) doesn't give us a imposing frontline. Nor does he fit into a smaller lineup, because he isn't quick. He isn't big and strong nor is he small and quick.

He's small and slow. - Not a good combo.

He can shoot - but not as well as Williams. He's adecent rebounder, but not nearly as good as Jeff. Murphy does have experience over Wiiliams, Ike and david, but not over Jeff.

I really don't see any reason to play him. And that is now when Ike is still out.
    That pretty much says it. Murphy is a contradiction of sorts.

Murphy looks big, but he doesn't exactly play big. He can't punish a smaller player on the block and he's not as mobile as he once was, so it's not like he's going to outquick anyone. Truth is, there are a lot of small forwards in the league who could probably do a better job of playing PF than Murphy.

And he's a good shooter (or has a reputation as such)......except on those poor shooting 3-11 FG nights, which is becoming quite a common occurence.

He's also a very hard worker and a gymrat.....and yet he's STILL out of shape.

I'll say it again: Murphy = white Zach Randolph without the low post game and bad attitude/off the court problems.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Hopefully, Murphy will work on whatever pushed him into JO'Bs doghouse so that he can start playing minutes again.
    Basically, you're asking Murphy to grow longer arms, become a better athlete and cut his body fat in half.

MURPH has skills, but at this point on this team he is going to be odd man out. I think you have to play IKE over him, plus Shawne needs mins. MURPH should be part of any upcoming trade. He has value to some team out needing some rebounding and a player that can shoot.
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

Quote Originally Posted by odeez View Post
    MURPH has skills, but at this point on this team he is going to be odd man out. I think you have to play IKE over him, plus Shawne needs mins. MURPH should be part of any upcoming trade. He has value to some team out needing some rebounding and a player that can shoot.
    He's a two trick pony. He's a streaky shooter and he can chase down rebounds. That's about it. If I'm missing any other skills he has, someone point it out.

Including this year, Murphy's owed about $42M over 4 years. Could he help a team in the right role? Sure. Will teams (who don't like paying the luxury tax) look for cheaper alternatives? You better believe they will.

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    He's a two trick pony. He's a streaky shooter and he can chase down rebounds. That's about it. If I'm missing any other skills he has, someone point it out.
    He does a good Jim Halpert impression.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

i've been saying for months that he needs to be moved......i think i even started a thread about it.

the ideal situation would be to acquire an expiring contract for him. we could use the money to reup david and extend DG & ike this summer. kwame brown comes to mind.....i could see the lakers having interest and they are one of the only teams willing to pay that type of contract.

if not an expiring this year, then something coming up in the summer of 2009 when danny and ike come off their rookie deals. malik rose, szerbiak, & lafrentz are a few names that come to mind.

And people gave me crap for saying Murphy was overpaid.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by purdue101 View Post
    Oh yeah, no kidding.

Still waiting for the retraction on this post in that thread...

Anybody here that thinks Baby Al would have gotten a DNP-CD last night?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by purdue101 View Post
    i've been saying for months that he needs to be moved......i think i even started a thread about it.

the ideal situation would be to acquire an expiring contract for him. we could use the money to reup david and extend DG & ike this summer. kwame brown comes to mind.....i could see the lakers having interest and they are one of the only teams willing to pay that type of contract.

if not an expiring this year, then something coming up in the summer of 2009 when danny and ike come off their rookie deals. malik rose, szerbiak, & lafrentz are a few names that come to mind.
    Jerry Buss and the Lakers don't want to pay the luxury tax. Just as you want to clear room for Granger and Ike, the Lakers want to clear enough room to sign Bynum (or the high priced superstar Bynum could fetch in a trade).

Replace Kwame's expiring deal with Murphy $10M, and the Lakers will be paying the tax next year. I'm sure the Lakers would consider going into luxury tax territory for Jason Kidd, but I'm not so sure they'd do it for Troy Murphy.

Even the Knicks are showing a bit more fiscal restraint than they used to. And they have a better version of Murphy in David Lee, who himself will be asking for a big contract soon. Why pay nearly $40M for a poor man's David Lee when you already have the real thing who's still on a rookie deal?

Seattle is a rebulding team. We're talking straight from the ground up building around a guy who still hasn't turned 19 years old. They have no need for a middling, middle-aged player like Murphy with that kind of deal, especially when they already have younger, cheaper, better players at the PF position (Wilcox and Collison). Portland might consider Murphy if you're willing to take on Darius Miles.

If you're looking to unload Muphy for a short contract, be prepared to sweeten that deal with at least a draft pick or a young player like Shawne Williams (and no, David Harrison doesn't count).
    Last edited by d_c; 12-05-2007 at 04:10 PM.

Jerry Buss and the Lakers don't want to pay the luxury tax. Just as you want to clear room for Granger and Ike, the Lakers want to clear enough room to sign Bynum (or the high priced superstar Bynum could fetch in a trade).

Replace Kwame's expiring deal with Murphy $10M, and the Lakers will be paying the tax next year. I'm sure the Lakers would consider going into luxury tax territory for Jason Kidd, but I'm not so sure they'd do it for Troy Murphy.

Even the Knicks are showing a bit more fiscal restraint than they used to. And they have a better version of Murphy in David Lee, who himself will be asking for a big contract soon. Why pay nearly $40M for a poor man's David Lee when you already have the real thing who's still on a rookie deal?

Seattle is a rebulding team. We're talking straight from the ground up building around a guy who still hasn't turned 19 years old. They have no need for a middling, middle-aged player like Murphy with that kind of deal, especially when they already have younger, cheaper, better players at the PF position (Wilcox and Collison). Portland might consider Murphy if you're willing to take on Darius Miles.

If you're looking to unload Muphy for a short contract, be prepared to sweeten that deal with at least a draft pick or a young player like Shawne Williams (and no, David Harrison doesn't count).
    So what you're saying is that Murphy's going to be here for the duration. I'm inclined to agree.

The silver lining is that we just may be able to trade his $12 million expiring contract for a good player in 2010/2011.

I don't think Murphy is a terrible player. If you cut his contract in half, we'd have absolutely no problem moving him.

- Salman Rushdie

Somebody like Ike. After all, that was the only reason we traded Al for him.

The sad truth is that the league is running out of bad contracts. Used to be every team had a Murphy-like contract on its roster, but no longer. That's good for the league, but bad for the Pacers.

We're likely stuck with Murphy for the next four years.
    Last edited by Anthem; 12-05-2007 at 04:36 PM.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    Apparently last night was the first DNP-CD of Troy's career.

Thoughts?
    Sounds like he better get use to it...

Troy Murphy meet Glen Robinson, Glen Robinson meet Troy Murphy! You may ask what those two have in common, well G. Robinson was the last high paid stiff not able to crack Obie's rotation when he was in Philadelphia. Looks like Troy is following in Big Dogs "pawprints"!
    Last edited by Roaming Gnome; 12-05-2007 at 06:01 PM.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    Sounds like he better get use to it...

Troy Murphy meet Glen Robinson, Glen Robinson meet Troy Murphy! You may ask what those two have in common, well G. Robinson was the last high paid stiff not able to crack Obie's rotation when he was in Philadelphia. Looks like Troy is following in Big Dogs footprints!
    And Ike's not even back yet.

I called it, but it still makes me sad. This was supposed to be perfect for Murphy's career... a coach who likes big men to shoot the 3. If he can't play for Obie, there's no way anybody else takes him.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Basically, you're asking Murphy to grow longer arms, become a better athlete and cut his body fat in half.
    All things that can easily be coached.

IMO, Murphy received a DNP-CD because:

1) he lacks the ability to play strong interior defense

2) his shot has been very inconsistent of late

3) he prefers to play along the perimeter and for a so-called "big" that's just not acceptable

The odd thing is initially JOB was willing to give Murphy a starting role at PF because the assumption was that JO would play at Center and Murphy could shag out along the perimeter to clear space underneath to allow JO to work. It was a good strategy as long as JO was in top form and Murphy was draining 3's. But Murphy wasn't draining 3's and JO, though he played decent at less than 75% health, wasn't able to be that 20/10 player due to his knee/leg injury. But now that JO's back and Harrison and Foster has shown improvements (or in Foster's case he's been far more consistent in his play/contributions on the floor), it made sense (to me atleast) to oust Murphy and sub in Williams behind JO at PF and let Foster and Harrison take the lion's share of minutes at Center moving in JO as necessary for rotation purposes until the right mix of players could be on the floor.

I'd never thought we'd every have the problem we now face w/too many bigs, but with Williams and Harrison improving, Ike due to return within the next 2 weeks and JO seemingly back 90-100% healthy, Murphy now becomes the odd man out.

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by NuffSaid View Post
    IMO, Murphy received a DNP-CD because:

1) he lacks the ability to play strong interior defense

2) his shot has been very inconsistent of late

3) he prefers to play along the perimeter and for a so-called "big" that's just not acceptable
    did you just suggest that obrien may have benched troy for not liking 3pt shooting big?
    This is the darkest timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Somebody like Ike. After all, that was the only reason we traded Al for him.

The sad truth is that the league is running out of bad contracts. Used to be every team had a Murphy-like contract on its roster, but no longer. That's good for the league, but bad for the Pacers.

We're likely stuck with Murphy for the next four years.
    Like you said, Murphy can be traded for something of value under the right circumstances. The Warriors traded him less than a year ago, afterall.

But consider what they had to do to unload him: They had to attach an asset which was the previous year's lottery pick (Ike) and they had to take back what was considered a piece of poison (Stephen Jackson).

Going by that, you'd have to come up with scenarios where you package either Ike or Shawne Williams along with Murphy and you'd probably be looking to get back the contract of a player another team is looking to unload along with an asset that could help you (like a PG).

We always seem to have a big injured, but if we ever get them all healthy Murphy had better get used to the dnp by his name. With the odds of that being thin, I guess Murphy will have plenty of chances to earn playing time. Ike most likely won't be back to form until late Jan. at best. With Harrison, Ike, and Shawne improving I'd say Murphy falls to the 6th. spot on the 4/5 rotation.