Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Danny Granger

Hybrid View

Banned

Default Danny Granger

Well the Pacers are 19 games into the season.

One of the questions that I have is......

Will Danny Granger EVER step up to the plate?

This being Dannys third year he is still the most inconsistant player on this team. This should be his breakout season. All I'm seeing though is one good game usually followed by two bad. He is consistantly inconsistant.

Tonight against Phoenix he was barely visable on the court, and I know it wasn't Grant Hills defense that was shutting Danny down...it was Danny shutting Danny down. Logic should dictate that when your not scoring the ball your defending and boarding....Danny was doing neither.

His stat line was 6 points on 2 for 11 from the field...0 of 5 fom the 3 point line. 7 rebounds ....all this with the fourth most minutes on the squad tonight (28). Grant Hill went for 16 and Grants backup, Raja Bell went for 17. This is how Grangers game has been since his rookie year...just when you think he's got it....he does everything in his power to make you shake your head dumbfounded.

I sincerely believe that the Pacers should include him in any kind of a blockbuster trade that they can come up with, only because his contract will be coming up soon, as will Diogu's. Danny is as good as he's going to get, and I do nt s him EVER growing a mean streak, one that a 6 foot 9 or 10 forward should have.

Move him and get something valuable back, especially while the other teams in the league think that he's an up and coming talent.

Default Re: Danny Granger

Yikes, kind of harsh. I don't think Danny is anywhere near his ceiling yet so I'm not ready to trade him. If he doesn't make any more strides by year 5 then I'll get on him, but right now he's where I expect him to be.

Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yikes, kind of harsh. I don't think Danny is anywhere near his ceiling yet so I'm not ready to trade him. If he doesn't make any more strides by year 5 then I'll get on him, but right now he's where I expect him to be.
    Agreed. I'll admit, he was pretty bad tonight. And he has been struggling mightily lately. But I think he's just going through a rough stretch. Remember, he was playing pretty well to start the year.

Things can change pretty fast. I remember some people were unhappy with Tinsley a couple weeks ago.

We have to remember that he's still a 3rd year player. I think he still has room to grow as a player. We just have to give him the chance to become more consistent.

I posted this into the game thread and I will post it here as well

Jo played a great game but I still stand by my theory. Danny is not the same player with JO in the lineup. Before JO came back danny was cutting to the hoop, driving it to the basket and drawing fouls. He is not doing this with JO in the lineup. I think part of it is because JO is in the post and looking for the ball. When JO posts up he doesnt move around which makes it harder to drive. Danny needs to learn to play with JO in the lineup. He cannot just spot up at the three point line.

I want to see a few more games before I start preaching this but it is my theory.

I also have to take into consideration Marion is a great defender and might of just got into his head

Quote Originally Posted by justinDOHMAN View Post

Jo played a great game but I still stand by my theory. Danny is not the same player with JO in the lineup. Before JO came back danny was cutting to the hoop, driving it to the basket and drawing fouls. He is not doing this with JO in the lineup. I think part of it is because JO is in the post and looking for the ball. When JO posts up he doesnt move around which makes it harder to drive. Danny needs to learn to play with JO in the lineup. He cannot just spot up at the three point line.

I want to see a few more games before I start preaching this but it is my theory.
    I've been wondering the exact same thing. If you look at the stats that somebody posted the other day, Danny's stats are not nearly as good when JO plays. I'm also going to watch this closely over the next few games. I think it might be more of a mental shift on Danny's part. When JO is gone, I think he knows he has to act like the #1 option on offense. He plays aggressive because he knows he needs to score for the team to win. With JO out there, Danny defers to him because that's what he's been doing for the first 2 years of his career. I don't think this is JO's fault, it's more a case of Danny being willing to take a back seat when he shouldn't. Hopefully this is something that J'Ob will address.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

that was a good shot from a player who is struggling
    [SIGPIC]Dun Dun shooting form![/SIGPIC]

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by andreialta View Post
    that was a good shot from a player who is struggling

Just what I said.....he's on one and off two....INCONSISTANT for 3 years...does not mean that he will never get it.....also doesn't mean he ever will get it.

Is it worth the $$$ that your going to have to pay to keep him?

Quote Originally Posted by DaSMASH View Post

This being Dannys third year he is still the most inconsistant player on this team. This should be his breakout season. All I'm seeing though is one good game usually followed by two bad. He is consistantly inconsistant.

Tonight against Phoenix he was barely visable on the court, and I know it wasn't Grant Hills defense that was shutting Danny down...it was Danny shutting Danny down. Logic should dictate that when your not scoring the ball your defending and boarding....Danny was doing neither.

His stat line was 6 points on 2 for 11 from the field...0 of 5 fom the 3 point line. 7 rebounds ....all this with the fourth most minutes on the squad tonight (28). Grant Hill went for 16 and Grants backup, Raja Bell went for 17. This is how Grangers game has been since his rookie year...just when you think he's got it....he does everything in his power to make you shake your head dumbfounded.

I sincerely believe that the Pacers should include him in any kind of a blockbuster trade that they can come up with, only because his contract will be coming up soon, as will Diogu's. Danny is as good as he's going to get, and I do nt s him EVER growing a mean streak, one that a 6 foot 9 or 10 forward should have.

Move him and get something valuable back, especially while the other teams in the league think that he's an up and coming talent.
    It's really hard not to break some PD rules here...

Granger is nowhere near his prime and is already averaging over 18ppg. He had 5 of 6 games at the end of November where he exceeded 20ppg while only having to guard Josh Howard, Lebron James and Carmello Anthony. That stretch was probably the best of his career and just ended last week.

Yes, he's been off a couple games now but every other player on this team has had stretches of bad play this year. It's simply ludicrous to say he needs traded. Not a good character guy who will only get better. The guy will put butts in seats at Conseco fieldhouse and that's exactly what this franchise needs.

BTW, it's naive to imply that just because Granger is a "good boy", he doesn't have any fire. The guy is confident and punks and hoods don't have a monopoly on competitiveness. You'd probably say the same thing about Timmy Duncan...

cmon guys. some people here are pethetic.

plays 1 or 2 bad games and u want him out.

His our future.

AUSTRALIA'S NO.1 PACER FAN

Quote Originally Posted by granger33 View Post
    cmon guys. some people here are pethetic.

plays 1 or 2 bad games and u want him out.

His our future.
    straight and to the point.

Not sure I'd go that far. But I've never thought Granger's ceiling
    was as high as some seem to. As for trading him, sure, if a deal
    (wether seperately, or part of a package) presents itself that
    brings back a player or players/assets the Pacers need to
    balance out the talent on the roster, I've no problem with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajah Brown View Post
    Not sure I'd go that far. But I've never thought Granger's ceiling
    was as high as some seem to. As for trading him, sure, if a deal
    (wether seperately, or part of a package) presents itself that
    brings back a player or players/assets the Pacers need to
    balance out the talent on the roster, I've no problem with it.
    I agree his ceiling is limited. He will never be an elite player in the league. Elite being top 5 or 10. I would not be surprised, however, to see him crack top 20. Considering he is already over 18ppg, he is very likely to exceed a 20ppg scoring average before he reaches his prime in 4 years, that's really good enough to keep on the team particularly with a likely clean police record going forward.

Isn't he still leading the team in scoring? The only thing I see him being guilty of is not being aggressive enough all the time. Standing around behind the three point line is not where he belongs. Much better when he is going to the rim or catch for the three in transition. No way do you trade this guy, only his third year averaging something like 19 a game. Granger is a keeper!
    Last edited by odeez; 12-04-2007 at 10:57 PM.
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by odeez View Post
    Isn't he still leading the team in scoring? The only thing I see him being guilty of is not being aggressive enough all the time. Standing around behind the three point line is not where he belongs. Much better when he is going to the rim or catch for the three in transition. No way do you trade this guy, only his third year averaging something like 19 a game. Granger is a keeper!
    Leading the team in scoring does not translate into LEADER on the Floor, or GO TO guy in the clutch. For all the pomp and circumstance that Danny got and still gets from time to time...He needs to find a niche and give the team the same amount of production EVERY night, no matter who is on the floor for the Pacers.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I stopped right here because this comment is just WRONG. YOu have nothing to back it up. Not one thing. This is the first time this season that Granger has been poor two nights in a row. This is not the usual for him this season. Just a completely off base statement.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Granger is going to be at least as good as Josh Howard and that is fine with me.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    Granger is going to be at least as good as Josh Howard and that is fine with me.

What time machine are you operating from?

When Danny goes cold, he settles for jumpers. He never drives to the basket because....lets face it...hes afraid.

What time machine are you operating from?

When Danny goes cold, he settles for jumpers. He never drives to the basket because....lets face it...hes afraid.
    Yeah, during that Seattle game he never attacked the basket. His shot wasn't falling and he only went to the free throw line FIFTEEN times. Yeah, what a wimp.

Jeez, the guy is a little over a month into his 3rd season and you're expecting him to be a LEADER? I don't think that's ever been expected of him as a Pacer. He's always been one of the younger players on the team. If you think this team lacks leadership, then you should be pointing your finger at JO and Tinsley, not Granger.

Yes, he's having trouble with consistency...on the offensive end. He's not the only player to do so. It's DECEMBER. If he's still playing with inconsistency by February, I'd say we might want to be concerned. And besides, it's not like his contract runs out by the end of the year. We'll still have another season after this one to evaluate him and trade him, if needed.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Aw Heck View Post
    Yeah, during that Seattle game he never attacked the basket. His shot wasn't falling and he only went to the free throw line FIFTEEN times. Yeah, what a wimp.

Jeez, the guy is a little over a month into his 3rd season and you're expecting him to be a LEADER? I don't think that's ever been expected of him as a Pacer. He's always been one of the younger players on the team. If you think this team lacks leadership, then you should be pointing your finger at JO and Tinsley, not Granger.

Yes, he's having trouble with consistency...on the offensive end. He's not the only player to do so. It's DECEMBER. If he's still playing with inconsistency by February, I'd say we might want to be concerned. And besides, it's not like his contract runs out by the end of the year. We'll still have another season after this one to evaluate him and trade him, if needed.
    Bottom line is that, Yees, he went to the line 15 times and yet the Pacers STILL lost the game.....just like last night...You've got to be accountable EVERY night when your a pro.....just not every once in a while.

Danny has learned some things, yet still makes the same rookie mistakes...watch him shake his head when he makes a mistake...He knows, but he doesn't know how to get around it.

Bottom line is that, Yees, he went to the line 15 times and yet the Pacers STILL lost the game.....just like last night...You've got to be accountable EVERY night when your a pro.....just not every once in a while.

Danny has learned some things, yet still makes the same rookie mistakes...watch him shake his head when he makes a mistake...He knows, but he doesn't know how to get around it.

We know where you stand and most of the board disagrees so just get over it and quit trying to change everyones opinion. This thread FTL...

You're absolutely right. He's too mistake prone for a 3yr player. I don't know why he starts, and should be traded for a bag of cool ranch doritos, or even chilli cheese corn chips, if they could get a large Mt. Dew out of it as well I'd be sitting on cloud nine.

Dude, come back to reality. Next time you make a mistake I hope your boss doesn't look to get rid of you, because you should be held accountable every single day as well.

He's averaging 17.5 pts 6.1 rbs, and shooting all while shooting at a higher percentage than JO and Tinsley.

Oh, and for a player that's scared to take the ball to the basket, he also leads the team in FTA per game.

streets ahead

so this is how we're going to get the #1 from boston and draft oden. yeeehaw!
    This is the darkest timeline.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    so this is how we're going to get the #1 from boston and draft oden. yeeehaw!

Get over yourself funny boy.....I'm serious...Granger has not improved or matured the way he should up to this point. He still shakes his head to much after a mistake....which if you look at his stats, is right up there.

I think Danny will be just fine once Oden comes back and he can play off the big fella in the paint.

What would be wrong if Danny is just a good player? Everyone acts like if he is not the next Pippen he is worthless. I am pretty happy with the player he has become, if he improves then super. Right now he is a good player. Maybe he never becomes the superstar the Pacers never seem to find, so what, he is a piece to build on.
    No matter how much success Larry Bird attains in Indiana he'll never top that first command to fire Thomas. -Peter Vecsey. NY Post 12/4/07