Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jim O'Brien has resigned as coach of the Celtics

Default Jim O'Brien has resigned as coach of the Celtics

no link.

source: Sports Radio WEEI in Boston, claiming there is a 6 PM press conference.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Default Re: Jim O'Brien has resigned as coach of the Celtics

Another one bites the dust!

How many East coaches are left from last year now? 1?

Sports Logo

Wow was I wrong we were just talking about him this morning and I figured it would take a first round loss for him to go.

All Hail Terry Stotts the longest tenured coach in the eastern confrence.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I swear this has to be a record for fired/resigned coaches...
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

Paahking my caahr in Haahvad Yaahd... ;-)

Well, this will make the Obie haters happy. I wonder who Ainge is planning to bring in? There were rumors that Danny might even step in as coach himself (just like the Thomas rumors to coach the Knicks after firing Chaney)
    Your horse is dead, get off it already...

blurb at www.boston.com

so it's not a made-up radio sports talk story

BREAKING SPORTS NEWS: Jim O'Brien has resigned as coach of the Boston Celtics today, The Boston Globe is reporting. The Celtics have scheduled a press conference at 6 tonight. -- Developing
    From nba.com: Jim O'Brien's biography
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

gulp...

Nets?

O'Brien?

Personally, I like Fratello, but Obie is better

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

At this rate we'll not have to worry about the C's in the PO's this year.

BIRD to coach the C's???? ah c'mon we post that on the ESPN board and it'd spread like wildfire.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

You know that there are some paranoid Celts fans somewhere afraid that Pitino taking a leave of absence from L'ville is related to this...

Mood

You know that there are some paranoid Celts fans somewhere afraid that Pitino taking a leave of absence from L'ville is related to this...

OH MAN!!!!.....be right back
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

OH MAN!!!!.....be right back
    [Sounds of geezer going off to spread Pitino-to-Boston rumors on the ESPN boards]

Mood

27 hits in 1 minute not bad...not bad.

Heh, I can't wait to hear someone call in on one of the Boston sports radio shows saying he read about this Pitino rumor....

You know, this does mean two things:

1) No more Dick Harter team defense to worry about

and speaking of:

2) Dick Harter is available to pickup. If we didn't already have a terrific staff, I'd be beggin' Walsh/Bird/Carlisle to add him!

Of course, if for some reason either Brown or Rothstein leaves this summer, he'd be a GREAT filler!

from the Celtics mean green board:

Jim O'Brien resigns as Celtics coach
    By Shira Springer, Globe Staff, 1/27/2004

The Celtics announced that head coach Jim O'Brien is resigning, effective immediately. According to a league and a team source, O'Brien's decision came after a major argument over personnel and playing time issues with director of basketball operations Danny Ainge.

Assistant coach John Carroll is expected to take over as interim head coach.

Until today, O'Brien was one of only two Eastern Conference coaches still with the same team he coached last season. O'Brien went 139-119 as the Celtics head coach since taking over after Rick Pitino resigned on Jan. 8, 2001.

The Celtics, who are 22-24 and in sixth place in the Eastern Conference, have undergone many changes on the court this season, as recent fixtures such as Antoine Walker and Eric Williams were traded.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

and speaking of:

2) Dick Harter is available to pickup. If we didn't already have a terrific staff, I'd be beggin' Walsh/Bird/Carlisle to add him!

Of course, if for some reason either Brown or Rothstein leaves this summer, he'd be a GREAT filler!
    Why not pick him up? I don't think there's a limit to assistant coaches and even if there is one, Dallas has to have more assistants than Indy.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

I figured that O'Brien must have hated the moves Danny was making. In a way I am happy for O'Brien because he won't have to be responsible for the mess of a roster they have in Boston.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

and speaking of:

Why not pick him up? I don't think there's a limit to assistant coaches and even if there is one, Dallas has to have more assistants than Indy.

Well, we know there is no limit as Isiah proved last year. It think the first 4 rows behind the Pacers bench were taken away from season ticket holders to be able to have a place to seat his staff on game days.

On a side bar, whatever happened to Vern Fleming?
    Two=the number 2
    Too=means "also"
    To=many definitions-also known as the one to use when the other 2 (two, too) do not apply.

Their=shows ownership-'it is their house'
    They're=they are
    There=many definitions-also known as the one to use when the other 2 (their, they're) do not apply

Sorry but it bugs me when these are used incorrectly when I read posts on PacersDigest.com.

The clashed openly over LaFrentz-- Obie and Raef wanted to postpone his surgery and use him in limited minutes until the offseason.

Other than that, Obie has been "saying" he has favored all of the moves, even the Ricky Davis trade, though his immediate remarks on that one were different than the nicey-nicey spin he put on it a day later.

maybe Ainge IS a snake...

Larry just said on radio that he just got off the phone with one of Obie's assistants, gotta assume thats Harter.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Larry just said on radio that he just got off the phone with one of Obie's assistants, gotta assume thats Harter.
    Where did you hear this?
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

Where did you hear this?
    Um, on the radio?

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Where did you hear this?
    Um, on the radio?
    Yeah but what radio station? Why would they have a Larry Bird thing on a Detroit radio station, unless it's something like ESPN radio.

Where did you hear this?
    Um, on the radio?
    Yeah but what radio station? Why would they have a Larry Bird thing on a Detroit radio station, unless it's something like ESPN radio.
    Larry BROWN. Lol.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Where did you hear this?
    Um, on the radio?
    Larry BROWN. Lol.
    LOL, the only Larry I know of is Larry Bird. I was wondering wtf you were talking about there. I'm guessing it might be a battle for Harter's rights.