Thread: Marbury's father dies during Knicks/Suns game

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Marbury's father dies during Knicks/Suns game

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3139858

Knicks offer support to Marbury, but no timetable for his return

Associated Press

Updated: December 3, 2007, 3:28 PM ET GREENBURGH, N.Y. -- Stephon Marbury played the second half of New York's loss to Phoenix on Sunday night unaware his father had been taken to a hospital, where he died before the game ended.

Don Marbury was taken from Madison Square Garden to St. Vincent's Hospital and Medical Center during halftime, reportedly because of chest pains, but a family member advised a Knicks official not to inform Stephon Marbury at the time.

Stephon Marbury learned of his father's death from a family friend minutes after the game.

"It's a terrible thing that happened to him and his family last night," Knicks coach Isiah Thomas said Monday after practice. "For any parent watching their son or daughter perform, and to have something like that happen, anyone who has kids would sympathize with the son and you also sympathize with the family."

Thomas seemed a bit emotional while speaking for less than five minutes, and wouldn't discuss how long Stephon Marbury would be gone. Last month, forward Zach Randolph missed three games following the death of his grandmother.

"We as a family, the Knicks family, we'll give him all the support and try to be there for him and his family through this terrible time," Thomas said. "We just went through it with Zach and his family."

Marbury has endured an especially difficult time, on and off the court. He has been booed at home since skipping a game in Phoenix following a clash with Thomas, and an aunt died last month.

"I can feel his pain," Randolph said. "It's been a tough year on him, I feel real sorry for him and his family. Fans booing him, and his father passed during the game. It's tough for him right now.

"He lost his auntie a couple of weeks after I lost my grandma, so it's tough."

The day after the aunt's death, Marbury said his mother had lost eight siblings in the last five years, adding that "my mother's a mess right now."

Don and Mabel Marbury had five sons and twin daughters.

The Knicks play Wednesday in New Jersey, without a clear solution at point guard if Marbury hasn't returned. Reserve Mardy Collins didn't play Sunday because of a sprained left ankle, and Thomas hasn't used Nate Robinson in either of the last two games.

"We'll continue to remain strong within the team and stay together," Thomas said.
    An abundance of jokes are swirling around in my head, but I'll refrain for now.

Seriously, though, I can only imagine what Stephon's going through right now. That's a horrible, horrible thing to have to go through, especially with everything else that's been going on around there lately.

Default Re: Marbury's father dies during Knicks/Suns game

Wow, that is aweful.
    No matter how much success Larry Bird attains in Indiana he'll never top that first command to fire Thomas. -Peter Vecsey. NY Post 12/4/07

woman without a team

It's sad and I'm sure Isiah is remembering the year that Jamaal's mom died, JO's stepdad shot himself, and Austin's father-in-law died.

That's terrible. To have your father die while attending a game you were playing in? I'd have a hard time ever playing again after that.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I don't have any jokes swirling in my head. That's just terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by FlavaDave View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't have any jokes swirling in my head. That's just terrible.
    Exactly,I mean hate the guy all you that you do.That is your right.But to have jokes swirling after you hear about someones parent dying?.

My hopes and prayers are with marbury.
    LoneGranger33 said
    Agreed. As the members of Guns and Roses once said, "every rose has its thorn".

What is even worse is being only a few feet away they didnt even have the decency to tell marbury so he would go with his dad to the hospital. To find out after the game that I couldnt hold my dads hand while he passed away would make me want to kill the man that made the decesion. I wouldnt have a hard time playing the game again. I would have a hard time playing for the organization again.

I hate to say this but someone needs to blow the knicks up and do it fast.

Quote Originally Posted by justinDOHMAN View Post
    I hate to say this but someone needs to blow the knicks up and do it fast.
    Isiah's trying to that from the inside.......Maybe "implode" is a better word for it......

Has a Coach ever been murdered by his own players?

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by justinDOHMAN View Post
    What is even worse is being only a few feet away they didnt even have the decency to tell marbury so he would go with his dad to the hospital.
    For all we know it was his father who said not to tell him. My sister-in-laws mother did more or less the same thing. She was in the hospital in North Carolina and told my sister-in-law not to come from Chicago. I don't really think she thought she was going to die and I doubt that Stephon's father thought he was going to either.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyron View Post
    Isiah's trying to that from the inside.......Maybe "implode" is a better word for it......

Has a Coach ever been murdered by his own players?
    Well, PJ Carlisimo was nearly strangled and Jeff Van Gundy was nearly (accidentally) trampled to death.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Exactly,I mean hate the guy all you that you do.That is your right.But to have jokes swirling after you hear about someones parent dying?.

My hopes and prayers are with marbury.
    The jokes I had in mind were in reference to the Knicks, not the Marburys.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    The jokes I had in mind were in reference to the Knicks, not the Marburys.
    Why kick a team when they are down,especially after their "star" player just lost a parent?.
    LoneGranger33 said
    Agreed. As the members of Guns and Roses once said, "every rose has its thorn".

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Why kick a team when they are down,especially after their "star" player just lost a parent?.
    Because it's the Knicks.