Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ron Artest's daughter has cancer...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Ron Artest's daughter has cancer...

Very, very sad. She's only 4 years old.

http://www.sacbee.com/kings/story/537972.html

Artest is playing with heavy heart
    His young daughter has a cancerous tumor on her kidney
    By Sam Amick - samick@sacbee.com

Last Updated 6:01 am PST Monday, December 3, 2007
    Story appeared in SPORTS section, Page C1

Print | E-Mail | Comments (0) | Digg it | del.icio.us

Ron Artest had ice on nearly every part of his body Sunday afternoon at Kings practice, from his shoulder to both knees and even a cold pack he wore on his hip.

But the bumps and bruises are nothing compared to the heartache Artest and his family have felt recently. In an exclusive interview with The Bee, the Kings small forward revealed that his 4-year-old daughter, Diamond, has a cancerous Wilms' tumor on her kidney.

The youngest of Artest's four children has already undergone surgery and a biopsy at the Peyton Manning Children's Hospital in Indianapolis, and she began chemotherapy on Thursday before heading home. The tumor will need to be shrunk by way of chemotherapy before doctors can consider whether to remove it. Normally, doctors would remove the cancerous tumor and kidney, but Diamond was born with just one kidney, Artest said.

"The good thing about it is there's a 90 percent chance survival rate," said Artest, who has made two trips to Indiana since Nov. 21 to be with his daughter and missed one game. "It's a curable cancer, so that's something to look forward to. She's getting chemo. She's a tough girl. She's not really complaining too much ... . My baby's precious. It's in God's hands."

Luckily, she complained a little. Diamond, who lives with Artest's wife, Kimsha, in Indiana, told her mother about stomach pains enough times that they headed for the hospital in mid-November.

"We'd give her Pepto-Bismol," Artest said. "But the last time she complained, we just took her in."

The doctors felt a lump in her stomach and performed tests, eventually discovering she had a Grade 3 Wilms' tumor.

"We got lucky (in discovering it), but I wish we would've caught it at (Grade) 1," Artest said. "It was tough on her. It was tough on everybody. Everybody loves Diamond. I couldn't talk about it at first. I just wanted to get more info from the doctors."

And, of course, from the Internet. Artest said he spent sleepless nights browsing Web sites learning about Wilms' tumors, which primarily affect children and are named after a 19th-century German surgeon who recognized that the cancer develops from immature kidney cells. The tumor strikes one in 10,000 children, according to the Institute of Cancer Research.

Artest said he learned about the survival rate, about how – according to the American Cancer Society – 92 percent of patients live at least five years beyond their time of diagnosis and how approximately 500 new cases arise in America each year.

Those who've met Diamond know she's as vibrant as her name suggests, a side of her that was on display during Las Vegas summer league in July. As Artest sat courtside watching his younger Kings teammates with all four of his children, a rambunctious Diamond drew a scold from Artest. In between fistfuls of popcorn, Diamond rolled her eyes like a mini diva and forced a smile from her relenting father. The sickness, Artest said, hasn't changed her spirit.

"It was tough; it still is tough," he said. "But she's tough enough to get through it. She'll say, 'I feel OK – why am I still (in the hospital)?' She doesn't understand. She's only 4 years old."

Basketball, Artest acknowledged, just doesn't seem as important. He'd rather stay by his daughter's side in Indiana, helping the family through this time while praying for progress. But after a season in which his off-court troubles marred an otherwise-strong showing in 2006-07, he was already behind this season because of the seven-game suspension that officially ended that chapter. What's more, he is in a contract year, able to opt out of his deal this summer and looking to rebuild his reputation on and off the floor.

"It's tough because this season is the second-most important thing right now," he said. "If everything (else) was OK, then the season would be the most important, as far as career and your profession ... . But right now, my daughter's first and my career's second."

He's fulfilled both duties recently, scoring at will for most of his eight games played while defending with the sort of ferocity that earned him the 2003-04 Defensive Player of the Year Award. And even with the extra burden of his family situation, the player known for staying after practice for extra work continues to log extra hours. Saturday, he was simply trying to catch up with his teammates, landing via commercial plane at 11:30 a.m. in Sacramento and heading straight to the team's shootaround for that night's game against Houston.

Kings coach Reggie Theus said the circumstances mean he'll continue to let Artest dictate his own schedule.

"I think he's got his priorities in line, but I think it's a tough job because he knows he's got to be there (in Indiana), and yet he's coming back and forth," Theus said. "We're sort of trying to get an idea of what his thinking is. As long as he has us on his mind in terms of what we need from him and he's trying to make it work, you just can't make this the priority. I appreciate it, and I know the team does."

Artest said he might look at arranging treatment for his daughter in Northern California and bringing her to Sacramento. But for now he'll monitor Diamond's chemotherapy treatments in Indiana with lots of phone calls and visits whenever she comes calling.

"A lot of guys asked me: 'Why are you back? Why are you playing?' " Artest said. "If my daughter needs me, then I'm leaving. If she's OK, then I'm going to come play."

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Default Re: Ron Artest's daughter has cancer...

Oh man. Poor Ron. I hope she recovers.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

His family has my prayers.

Sports Logo

Sounds like its a good thing they are still in Indy. From what I understand they have one of the best children's hospitals in the world.

Sad to hear, I hope she recovers quickly and fully.

Sad to hear, but good to know she has a good chance at beating it. Prayers to Diamond, Ron, and the rest of their family.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Best wishes to Diamond and the rest of Ron's family, that's just awful for a 4-year old to endure cancer.

Very sad.

As a Pacer fan, a St. John's alum and, most importantly, just a person, this leaves me with a very heavy heart this morning.

Best wishes and heartfelt compassion to Diamond and the Artest family. Get well soon.
    Last edited by JayRedd; 12-03-2007 at 11:35 AM.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

That's horrific, especially for one so young. I really hope they are able to remove it.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

That'll put things into perspective.

Ron's crazy antics, brawls, and winning or losing basketball games all the sudden seem much less important.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Hope they figure out a way to get it done quickly and painless for her

Terrible news to hear about any four year old. She seems like a strong girl and I'm praying that she pulls through.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

I, offcourse, hope she will get better. Chemo is very tough and this is just a kid. Loads of strength to the little one and her family.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

This is very sad news. Prayers for her quick and full recovery.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

My thoughts go out to Ron and his daughter during this tough time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "The good thing about it is there's a 90 percent chance survival rate," said Artest, who has made two trips to Indiana since Nov. 21 to be with his daughter and missed one game. "It's a curable cancer, so that's something to look forward to.
    Missed this in my first read-through. That's good news.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Very sad to hear. She's 4 ffs, that's just so unfair.

Quote Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Very sad to hear. She's 4 ffs, that's just so unfair.
    My sister had childhood cancer. She's now the most amazing person I know. And a lot of it is due to her experience of going through that stuff.

Not that it makes it any less tragic.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

No one deserves to go through what she is going through. I am going to keep her in my prayers and I hope for the best.

So has Ron's family stayed in Indiana since he was traded? Does Ron live here in the offseason?

That says alot about his feelings for this area, because obviously he had no ties to Indianapolis before playing here. His family must love it here.

It seems like alot of guys like it here. Reggie talks about how he didn't know what to think when he was headed to Indiana as an LA kid, but how he ended up liking the area so much once he came here to play.

Prayers for a speedy and full recovery.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 12-04-2007 at 03:10 PM.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

My prayers go out to Ron and hsi family. And yes Ron lives here during the off season. He just had a new house built and i know his brother lives here also.
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

That's terrible =( Their family has my thoughts and wishes. Here's hoping she will be able to overcome this and be fully healthy.

Im praying for Ron's daughter....
    Children's hospitals will give her the best care possible..

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Man, nice benefit to being in Indy still is Riley's CH downtown. There is no denying that Ron is a passionate person so you know that this is kicking him in the gut, anyone would hate to face it. That is a tough thing to face, far worse than your own suffering for sure.