Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Foster does it again, earns his starting job back

Sports Logo

Default Re: Foster does it again, earns his starting job back

I'm not sure if it has been brought up yet....but your discussion brings up an important questions regarding Foster.

Foster's contract has a player option next season.

Question 1 - If Foster decides to opt out ( which is a big possiblity given his age and solid Big Man Backup skills ), is he considered a Restricted FA or an Unrestricted FA?

Question 2 - Should the Pacers attempt to resign him?

Foster will be 32 1/2 by the start of the 2008-2009 season. I know that it all comes down to how much he is asking for....but if we are able to get him for market value ( even if it is more then you are willing to pay for him ), would you resign him?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not sure if it has been brought up yet....but your discussion brings up an important questions regarding Foster.

Foster's contract has a player option next season.

Question 1 - If Foster decides to opt out ( which is a big possiblity given his age and solid Big Man Backup skills ), is he considered a Restricted FA or an Unrestricted FA?

Question 2 - Should the Pacers attempt to resign him?

Foster will be 32 1/2 by the start of the 2008-2009 season. I know that it all comes down to how much he is asking for....but if we are able to get him for market value ( even if it is more then you are willing to pay for him ), would you resign him?
    i'll tackle question 1: restricted FA only apply to rookie contracts. so he's an unrestricted FA
    This is the darkest timeline.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    i'll tackle question 1: restricted FA only apply to rookie contracts. so he's an unrestricted FA
    Next season...aren't we going to be in up against the salary cap again?

If that is the case.....Unless we can sign him for 3 or 4 mil for a couple of seasons....I think that Foser will opt out after next season.

As a solid backup Big Man at the age of 32 that can rebound and defend.....a classic Backup Big Man roleplayer that can come in and contribute for 15-20+ minutes.....there are alot of teams out there that would be interested in signing him.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Elgin56 View Post
    OH I guess that in crunch time there are no loose ball rebounds or hustle rebounds as some here call it? I guess at crunch time Jeff or our other bigs should ignore loose ball rebounds as they really aren't important as waiting for one off the board. Do you really understand how silly your arguement is?

My argument is just fine, you don't understand it fully is more the issue.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    My argument is just fine, you don't understand it fully is more the issue.

-Bball

Both kinds of rebounding styles and abilities are important, but only one kind becomes even more important at crunch time.

So your saying that is less important to chase down the loose ball rebounds at crunch time? HMMM, I guess I really don't understand your arguement.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    Gee, I'll say it if Peck doesn't want to. It is true that wiping the glass and picking a ball up off the floor both count equally as a rebound. But that is where the similarity ends.

You help your team a whole lot more with aggressive up-in-the-air rebounding, because that allows the quick outlet pass that triggers a fast break.

Plus it is a whole lot more fun to see Foster pull one down.

I'm sorry I just can't let this statement slide. A loose ball hustle rebound would be as easy to trigger a fast break as a contested in the lane under the basket up in the air rebound. Think about that please.

I wasn't part of the "will Foster retain his starter role" debated, but I never thought it would ever really be an issue.

Foster plays very well no matter which group he's with. And to be honest, since he's not a scorer but rather a very exceptional rebounder and screener, he can fit in among either group - starters or reserves. I think what it came down to w/JOB was interior defense and offensive rebounds. Murphy may get a decent share of defensive rebounds, but I'm willing to bet it's his low number of offensive rebounds that hurt him. He doesn't play underneath the basket enough and 2nd-shot attempts are crucial for a team who sometime struggles with their offense. However, the biggest issue is his lack of interior defense. It's just not there. No, Foster's not going to block a ton of shots, but when you're moving your man off the low blocks and constantly cleaning the glass on both sides of the ball, you don't need to be an outstanding shot blocker.

Tim Duncan gave Foster all the credibility he needed when he stated publicly a few years ago that Foster was perhaps the most under-rated post-defender he'd every come up against. From then on teams started taking notice.