Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Our point guard situation disturbs me

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Our point guard situation disturbs me

John Lucas III is currently a free agent and looking for a job. He's about the same size as Diener but he's a good shooter and has played well when given minutes with Houston. He got squeezed out after they got Mike James and Francis in the off season.

I'd love to get Luther Head. He's not much of a PG but he is a good shooter and scrappy defender. He'd be perfect for this offense. The Rockets will want Ike Diogu though because it was rumored that they and the Pacers had a deal in place before the draft to swap Ike for Head and the 26th pick if Morris Almond was still available. Almond was selected by Utah before that pick and killed the deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Quote Originally Posted by Phildog View Post
    We essentially have 4 PG's at this point. You want more of them?
    Nope. I'd be happy to trade Diener and Owens for somebody who could get on the floor.

And Quis isn't a point guard.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    just wanted to clarify travis diener's contract. he's not that cheap - he's guaranteed almost $5m over the next 3 years. that's first round pick money - about what danny and shawne are pulling in and roughly 2x the min.
    That's still extremely cheap.

Not even the Knicks could screw up a salary cap bad enough that $1.5 million could ever matter.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

I would think it should be easy to pull Ridnour away from the Sonics with him and watson always kind of miffed about playing time and who the starter is. We'd help them solve that situation and I bet Ridnour would be happy to at least to be getting 10-15 minutes a game at least.

Owens and Diener are srubs. Scrubs always look good during the summer league. What exactly are you guys surprised about?

About Tinsley: I'm glad hes finally playing good but Im still not convinced. Heck, two weeks ago everyone was calling for his head. Im just saying that Tinsley has his ups and downs.

John Lucas is not a shooter. Sub 40% FG and 25% 3pt. He hasn't played hardly at all with only 490 minutes played. He's only played 20 minutes or more 3 times and he did not deliver.

This team needs a real backup point guard not another player on par with Owens and Diener.

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    tradewise...i would see what kind of trade we could make with houston, portland or seattle. all three have logjams at PG (james/alston/francis/head/brooks, west/watson/ridenour and blake/jack/rodriguez/green). portland seems more likely.
    I like Travis Diener, and I think he's better than we've seen so far, but the thought of him starting for us does scare me. These three teams are great partners for a trade. Personally I like the idea of trading for a combo-type guard who could play both the one and the two. With either 'Quis or Dunleavy on the floor, we don't need a "true" PG, necessarily.

We also need a moderately proven player. My top three guys would be Jarrett Jack, Luther Head, and Delonte West. All three of these guys can play both guard slots, play pretty tough defense, are good shooters, and are probably not happy with their current level of playing time. The real question is, what do we have to give these teams? None of these guys are good enough to give away Ike or Shawne for, nor are they good enough to give up a #1 pick for. What do we have left that these teams may want?
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Someone at the forum party mentioned Earl Boykins. He would keep the tempo moving at least and he can shoot

Sports Logo

tradewise...i would see what kind of trade we could make with houston, portland or seattle. all three have logjams at PG (james/alston/francis/head/brooks, west/watson/ridenour and blake/jack/rodriguez/green). portland seems more likely.
    The problem is that Portland and Seattle are rebuilding teams and we have nothing ( no expiring contracts and players that we could part with ) that they would want that they would be interested in.

At most....players like Foster or Marquis...could be swapped for a longer term contract like Watson or Ridnour....but ( obviously ) we would be reluctant to give them up cuz of how well they fit into our offense.

Short of signing McLeod or some other PG that is still available in the FA market....we're not going to have much choice unless someone is interested in taking Murphy off of our hands.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Someone at the forum party mentioned Earl Boykins. He would keep the tempo moving at least and he can shoot
    Unlike Lucas or Diener or Me, Boykins actually has some experience in the NBA. It's safe to assume he could produce at past levels. But since when does a career .417 shooter get the comment "He can shoot"? I will give you his 35% 3pt mark. His height is an immediate red flag which of course overrides his quickness and steals ability by letting every single player in the NBA to have a post up advantage against him.

Boykins is probably the best option, and I'm sure he'd be productive for us...But I hate the way he plays basketball and watching him play "point guard" pains me.

Regardless, it's probably moot since there's no way the Simons are going over the luxury tax just to sign him -- especially for the money he's asking.

Maybe Boykins, Varajao and Spree can just form their own team. The Oklahoma City Starving Kids maybe.
    Last edited by JayRedd; 12-03-2007 at 02:44 PM.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Sports Logo

Going through the thread....it sounds like we have 4 options if we want to figure out some way to reduce Tinsley's minutes:

1 ) Trade for a PG that is better options then Deiner, Owens or ( considered to be "on par" with ) Marquis. The problem is that we don't have any players that another team would want that we would want to part with.

2 ) Sign some FA PG out there that is better then Deiner or Owens. Whose avaialble that we can reasonably get that would not push us over the Luxury Tax? Unfortunately, the answer is that we may not have too many options.

3 ) Sacrifice backup PG minutes to have Deiner and Owens fight it out to see which would be the best to backup Tinsley and Marquis as a 3rd option backup PG.

4 ) Go Big and have Dunleavy run "limited" Point-forward minutes as the 3rd option PG behind Tinsley and Marquis. This may even allow us to go with an "All-Forward" if Marquis is out.

As UB suggested, there maybe a need to to see what Deiner or Owens can do for extended minutes before JO'B is forced to give them minutes when Tinsley or Marquis goes down for an extended period.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind trying out Dunleavy at the Point-Forward spot for 5-10 minutes a game to see how he does. I know that it's not a long-term solution for as Tinsley's backup ....but it maybe an acceptable 3rd option PG option if Deiner or Owens doesn't work out. I know that it sounds strange to give Dunleavy minutes at the point....but the key to remember is that he would only have to do so for 5+ minutes to keep the offense flowing and Tinsley resting on the bench.

If our acquiring a backup PG option is limited and we cannot sign anyone....then the 3rd option PG ( whether it is Deiner, Owens or Dunleavy ) just has to hold down the fort until Tinsley can return.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

I was not a huge fan but Armstrong would actually do well in this system. Remember when he was in Orlando and had his best years it was in a similar system.

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    The problem is that Portland and Seattle are rebuilding teams and we have nothing ( no expiring contracts and players that we could part with ) that they would want that they would be interested in.

At most....players like Foster or Marquis...could be swapped for a longer term contract like Watson or Ridnour....but ( obviously ) we would be reluctant to give them up cuz of how well they fit into our offense.

Short of signing McLeod or some other PG that is still available in the FA market....we're not going to have much choice unless someone is interested in taking Murphy off of our hands.
    this is true. why seattle doesn't make a ton of sense unless we just swap PGs. portland on the other hand has darius miles and maybe raef lafrenz they might be interested in moving. in which case they could be willing to add a vet like murphy. that was at least my thinking.
    This is the darkest timeline.

this is true. why seattle doesn't make a ton of sense unless we just swap PGs. portland on the other hand has darius miles and maybe raef lafrenz they might be interested in moving. in which case they could be willing to add a vet like murphy. that was at least my thinking.
    Darius Miles has one year less on his contract than Murphy at about $9M a year remaining, but he's basically deadweight and doesn't play.

They could theoretically want to use one of their young PGs to dump him, but I dunno if they really want Murphy, a guy who has a longer deal than Miles. Murphy makes big money and plays the same position as Aldridge, a guy they're pretty much set with for the next 10 years.

woman without a team

I can't begin to make myself read the whole thread so if this has already been brought up I guess I'll just reiterate it. You could have had Jannero Pargo. You snooze you lose.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

I don't know much about Head, but I would be willing to bleed a little to get West or Jack.

I'd trade Harrison for either of them. I'd trade a #1 draft pick for either of them. They don't want Murphy so there's no point discussing it. I wouldn't give up Danny or Shawn for them, but I would consider Quis, because of his injuries, if they gave us a pick or another player.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I would NOT trade a number 1 pick for West under ANY circumstances. Probably not Jack either.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

This would also be a good time to trade Tinsley.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    I wouldn't give up Danny or Shawn for them
    What about Danny or Shawne for Jack+Rudy? Or Jack+Rudy+Pick?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    I don't know much about Head, but I would be willing to bleed a little to get West or Jack.

I'd trade Harrison for either of them. I'd trade a #1 draft pick for either of them. They don't want Murphy so there's no point discussing it. I wouldn't give up Danny or Shawn for them, but I would consider Quis, because of his injuries, if they gave us a pick or another player.
    I saw West play last night against the Warriors and the guy is a trainwreck as a standalone PG. He can shoot it, but don't count on him to run your team. That being said, Seattle has zero use for Harrison because they already have 3 project centers on the roster (Sene, Petro, Swift). Harrison does them no good.

Jarrett Jack is a solid backup at worst in this league, but he's nothing special. He's obviously not worth giving Granger or Williams, but the Blazers don't really need Daniels.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    What about Danny or Shawne for Jack+Rudy? Or Jack+Rudy+Pick?
    That's not worth doing on the Pacers part. If I'm the Pacers, I'd offer up Ike and see kind of PG I could get for him.

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    I saw West play last night against the Warriors and the guy is a trainwreck as a standalone PG. He can shoot it, but don't count on him to run your team. That being said, Seattle has zero use for Harrison because they already have 3 project centers on the roster (Sene, Petro, Swift). Harrison does them no good.

Jarrett Jack is a solid backup at worst in this league, but he's nothing special. He's obviously not worth giving Granger or Williams, but the Blazers don't really need Daniels.
    West is not good enough to be a starting PG, but I'd feel very comfortable with him as a backup at the 1 and 2 slots. He's much better than Diener and Rush, and probably is on par with 'Quis as a PG.

Jack is a step up from West. He is good enough to be a starting PG, but will never be a great one. West is more of a combo guard than Jack and a better shooter, but Jack's ball-handling ability and his defense are better than West's. Having Jack would put us in a very Toronto-esque situation. We could play Tins about 30 mpg and let Jack play the other 18. We could also give him minutes at the two if 'Quis was having a bad knee night.

I would trade Harrison for either guy, but I'm sure Seattle doesn't want him. I don't think Portland would trade Jack for Harrison.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    That's not worth doing on the Pacers part.
    Really? Portland's #1 pick should be pretty good this year (Top 5). Plus Rudy should be a prize, especially to a team that lacks a shooting guard and needs good outside shooters.
    Last edited by Anthem; 12-03-2007 at 06:06 PM.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I wonder if Jalen still wants to be a point guard?