Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Our point guard situation disturbs me

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Default Re: Our point guard situation disturbs me

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What about Danny or Shawne for Jack+Rudy? Or Jack+Rudy+Pick?
    I don't know anything about Rudy. Did he play against us the other night?

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    I don't know anything about Rudy. Did he play against us the other night?
    They drafted him but haven't signed him, so he's in Europe for another year finishing up his contract.

http://www.nbadraft.net/profiles/rudyfernandez.asp

EDIT: I honestly don't think they'd value Shawne high enough to get all three, but it's still interesting to think about. Surely there is some price at which you'd say "Yeah, I'd trade Shawne or Danny for THAT."
    Last edited by Anthem; 12-03-2007 at 06:26 PM.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

What about Danny or Shawne for Jack+Rudy? Or Jack+Rudy+Pick?
    Figured Portland had all they needed at SF with Roy. Shawne for Jack, Rudy, and their #1 would be potentially great for us though.
    You Got The Tony!!!!!!

Really? Portland's #1 pick should be pretty good this year (Top 5). Plus Rudy should be a prize, especially to a team that lacks a shooting guard and needs good outside shooters.
    My bad, I missed the #1 pick thrown in by Portland in that deal. I think Portland probably backs out on that, because they don't know what kind of pick they'd be giving up on unless it's protected.

The reality is, the Blazers really don't need to make major moves of any kind involving their best assets. All they really need to do is rehab Oden, hold on to what they have and develop it. They'll be a force within a couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by AesopRockOn View Post
    Figured Portland had all they needed at SF with Roy.
    Roy is a SG.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

55 posts on this thread.

And no one has said we'd be happy if we had kept Anthony Johnson in the summer of 06.

I'm just sayin'.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    55 posts on this thread.

And no one has said we'd be happy if we had kept Anthony Johnson in the summer of 06.

I'm just sayin'.
    The thought had honestly never occurred to me.

And it took me all of three seconds to dismiss.

Sorry AJ!

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sports Logo

55 posts on this thread.

I'm just sayin'.
    You just gave me the shivers.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

55 posts on this thread.

I'm just sayin'.
    I thought about it.

AJ drove me crazy under Rick. But I think he'd be fine under JOB.

Too bad.

P. S. He's probably available for cheap, don't you think?

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Wow could you imagine the fit Tinsley would throw if we brought back AJ? Can poutisitis be fatal?

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    That's still extremely cheap.

Not even the Knicks could screw up a salary cap bad enough that $1.5 million could ever matter.
    phoenix suns don't agree. they've sold their 1st rounder the past few years rather than pay the rookie scale salary, cheap as it is. pacers aren't far from the luxury tax threshold either, so they might be closer to making this kind of hard decision than you'd think.

bottomline is, diener isn't a low-cost low-risk investment in the way that rush, owens, and graham are. for those 3 guys, if they don't pan out, then ok you just move on. with diener, you're still stuck with him 3 years. you can only hope he turns his game around.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    I was not a huge fan but Armstrong would actually do well in this system. Remember when he was in Orlando and had his best years it was in a similar system.
    armstrong is with the nets now.

Next stop June 2015

Our backups are worse than ever, but I'm still pleased with the PG situation this year.

What? 8.5 assists per game? Clutch performances? I will take that from the starter and roll the dice that he stays healthy. He played 72 games last year and hasn't missed a single one this year. He's also smiled more in the last month than he has the last 4 years.

I held an Executive VP position in the Tinsley-Hater club over the last several years...and I have since resigned. No, he's not who I would pick at PG, but until major changes are made, I am ready to stop the hate. ;<)

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Maybe Dunleavey could do a point forward thing.

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    phoenix suns don't agree. they've sold their 1st rounder the past few years rather than pay the rookie scale salary, cheap as it is. pacers aren't far from the luxury tax threshold either, so they might be closer to making this kind of hard decision than you'd think.

bottomline is, diener isn't a low-cost low-risk investment in the way that rush, owens, and graham are. for those 3 guys, if they don't pan out, then ok you just move on. with diener, you're still stuck with him 3 years. you can only hope he turns his game around.
    Well, the Suns are ridiculous, so that's not really a great example, IMO.

There are very few other owners so cheap that would ever make the luxury tax limit such a concrete ceiling under that team's current circumstances. Those guys are literally putting a potential title at risk because of like $5 million. That's insane.

The Simons have already shown willingness to pay it in the past if it meant contending. So I stand by the fact that a $1.5 million contract would never make or break us or limit our ability to make transactions. And Diener would be easy to include in a package deal so we're certainly not "stuck with him 3 years" only hoping "he turns his game around."

The third year is a non-issue, IMO, and was actually a savvy move by Bird/Walsh in the sense that if Travis proves to be worth a damn, we have an extremely cheap rotation player for three seasons. Looks like it might not work out, but I still think it was a fine risk to take given the extremely low downside.
    Last edited by JayRedd; 12-04-2007 at 01:17 PM.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

streets ahead

There are very few other owners so cheap that would ever make the luxury tax limit such a concrete ceiling under that team's current circumstances. Those guys are literally putting a potential title at risk because of like $5 million. That's insane.
    totally agree

The third year is a non-issue, IMO, and was actually a savvy move by Bird/Walsh in the sense that if Travis proves to be worth a damn, we have an extremely cheap rotation player for three seasons. Looks like it might not work out, but I still think it was a fine risk to take given the extremely low downside.
    i wouldn't say savvy. it would have been savvy to make it a team option, not a player option. but it certainly isn't terrible.
    This is the darkest timeline.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

well, how about the spurs? they gave away scola and udrih this summer just to get under the tax limit (they're just $30k under the tax now after those transactions).

take a look around the league. the luxury tax *is* a hard limit for many owners. would the simons be different? we haven't hit that level yet, but i guess we'll find out pretty soon. maybe next summer when we try to re-sign david. or surely the summer after when extensions to danny and ike kick in. that's when the extra years in diener's contract could hurt.