Thread: Article on the Brawl..

Default Article on the Brawl..

Hey everyone .

Here is an article I wrote on the brawl for my school newspaper. It is a sports editorial. To prepare for writing it I watched the fight again on youtube. I recommend not doing this, because it was very painful. It's written somewhat simple because I wanted to tell it like an anecdote so non-NBA fans could enjoy it. Here it is.

Basketbrawl Diaries
    by Quinn Brown

December means three things to me: presents, big budget films, and NBA. Lots of NBA. Every sports fan’s dream is a championship run by their favorite team, and basketball is no different. As the season ticks on, I see this as an opportune time to reflect on a horrendous event of three years ago, one that crushed any chance I had of celebrating an NBA championship.
    My favorite team is the Indiana Pacers. I’m not exactly sure what a “pacer” is, but our mascot is a big, blue cat who wears the team’s white and gold uniform and dunks by jumping off of trampolines, a feat typically expected of a mascot. The pride of the Pacers is now-retired Reggie Miller, precocious hotshot out of UCLA who is often referred to as the best three point shooter of all time. In the 2004-05 NBA season, Reggie’s game was still intact and the talented Pacers squad was mentioned among the league’s elite. A championship seemed inevitable. Then it happened.
    November 19, 2004 - a date that, like Pearl Harbor and the day that I decided to cut my own hair, lives in infamy. The Pacers were playing the Detroit Pistons at the Palace of Auburn Hills in Michigan. Pacers superstar Ron Artest was shoved in the face by Piston Ben Wallace and reacted passively by humorously laying down on top of the scorer’s table. A cup of beer was thrown by a Pistons fan and hit Artest in the face, leading him to impulsively charge the stands. Havoc ensued as players fought fans, players fought players, drunken fans accidentally fought their friends, and Pacers guard Jamaal Tinsley attempted to fight no one in particular with a giant metal dust pan. The “Malice at the Palace” was the most shocking television event of the 21st century (it has since been topped by FEMA doing nothing during Hurricane Katrina). I stared at my TV in disbelief as my Pacers were hauled off the court by security. Five Pacers players were suspended (Artest for the remainder of the season), while the Pistons suffered only one significant suspension of a measly six games. The player happened to be Ben Wallace, the one essentially responsible for starting it all (for proof, search “Pacers Pistons” on YouTube).
    After the brawl, the Pacers’ dominance quickly faded. Artest once again became a loose cannon and was shipped to the Sacramento Kings, Reggie retired and many heartbroken fans became apathetic. I have spent the last three years of my life in denial, recreating the ‘04-05 Pacers team on basketball video games and adding myself, 5’8’’ point guard Quinn Brown, drafted out of high school, to the roster. After changing the difficulty to the easiest setting, I lead the Pacers to consecutive NBA championships.
    Showing little resilience, the Pacers are currently regarded, somewhat inaccurately, as one of the worst teams in the NBA. But oh well, the Colts won the Super Bowl.
    Last edited by RickSmitsFan; 12-02-2007 at 08:42 PM.

This must be a bad dream.
    Mood

Sports Logo

Default Re: Article on the Brawl..

I have to disagree about the part you mention about Ben Wallace being
    responsible for starting it all.

Its pretty clear to me Artest started it with his idiotic and completely
    uneccessary hard shove to Wallace when the game was already in
    the bag.

Had it not been for Artest's stupidity it would have never happened, nor
    would it have escalated to what it did.

Quote Originally Posted by RamBo_Lamar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

the bag.

There is no way you can construe that as Artest's fault. Does every hard foul deserve a fight breaking out? If you don't know the answer to that then you're more clueless than I thought.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

11/19 and pearl harbor should not be mentioned in the same breath, even as a semi-sarcastic remark.

You go even further comparing the drama to hurricane Katrina.

I find it best not to compare sports tragedies with real-life tragedies. It makes it seem like you're losing grip on reality.

BTW, the cup did not hit artest in the face, it hit him in the midsection.
    Last edited by Kstat; 12-02-2007 at 09:45 PM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Well done.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

You guys are a smidge critical for a school newspapers don't you think? I thought it was a pretty good article smits fan

I like the part about Tinsley and the dust pan.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RamBo_Lamar View Post

the bag.

I think it would have been about 20 percent of the incident it became if Jackson had not run into the stands throwing roundhouse punches.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
    You guys are a smidge critical for a school newspapers don't you think? I thought it was a pretty good article smits fan
    No kidding, have you guys read a high school paper lately? Good job man.

I liked it. Good humour, though I think you should have added another joke in place of the FEMA line. That seemed a bit serious for the vibe of the article.

The real question is... If Wallace doesn't throw the towel... does Green still throw the cup? IMHO... no, Green wasn't smart enough to come up with that on his own. Wallace threw the towel turned the light bulb on in Greens head, a very dim one.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    I think it would have been about 20 percent of the incident it became if Jackson had not run into the stands throwing roundhouse punches.
    I did what I had too do, why you trippin?

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Yeah, because those fans were well under control before that with no signs of screaming for blood, no sign of Ben's brother leaving his seat to move 2 sections closer to Ron (before settling for the back of Fred's head), and no potential felons ready to rip chairs out to throw at someone.

No hard foul warrants even a cup thrown and frankly Ben flipped out about a play that Ron shrugged off when it happened to him shortly before that. But that I got, that's guys in the heat of battle feeling the physical affects of hard play. Green and the 3 jerks with him pounding their fists and screaming for a fight BEFORE the cup flies were the problem. You put those types of people in a situation without Ron OR Jackson even and you still get a brawl.

The decent Pistons fans had left, or did shortly after things turned sour. All that was left was drunks and hateful fans with questionable backgrounds. A few hundred people of that sort are always bad news.

The sad thing is that the focus was always on Ron, the Pacers, all the players, the NBA and "thug style". The focus should have been on why there were a few hundred people in the arena that night with the same attitude of that father and son combo in Chicago a few years prior, and how these behaviors signaled a growing problem with accepted social behavior (especially from crowds).

But that's boring and might have actually solved the issue, thus eliminating more chances for this. Better to have hecklers like the DC fan or the guy Maxwell socked or John Green, along with the "fun" fallout of their actions.

I support you Jax. And for the Pistons fan earlier, I'm so you couldn't enjoy the article, but I probably couldn't either if a player from my team and my team's fans (Green and the scumbags who poured beverages on our exiting players) were responsible for the incident. Ron Artest is a hustle player who, as the reigning defensive player of the year over your Ben Wallace, tried his hardest now matter how much time was on the clock and no matter what the scoreboard said. His teammate got beat so his help defense was a hard foul that, according to almost anyone who watches the video, wasn't even that hard. Ron puts his hand up after the play to say, "my bad," but Ben is a brute who couldn't accept that. The FEMA line isn't so much of a joke than it is a sad truth.
    Last edited by RickSmitsFan; 12-03-2007 at 03:13 AM.

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

on a side note - we should be glad it wasn't the same cup from 2 girls 1 cup video....

Quote Originally Posted by RickSmitsFan View Post
    I support you Jax. And for the Pistons fan earlier, I'm so you couldn't enjoy the article, but I probably couldn't either if a player from my team and my team's fans (Green and the scumbags who poured beverages on our exiting players) were responsible for the incident.
    I never once disputed your opinion of who was right or wrong. I had a problem with comparing it to Hurricane Katrina and Pearl Harbor.

You're so obsessed over assessing blame you're completely missing the point.

The FEMA line isn't so much of a joke than it is a sad truth.
    ...I rest my case.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by bellisimo View Post
    on a side note - we should be glad it wasn't the same cup from 2 girls 1 cup video....
    I just puked a little in my mouth.

Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Mood

[yt]xOg8NWHtkpM[/yt]

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by naturallystoned View Post
    [yt]xOg8NWHtkpM[/yt]
    I'm scared to watch that.....

Mood

I'm scared to watch that.....
    I am banned for a raisin...

The video itself is somewhat funny but it's a painful memory with the music and all.