Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Danny Granger/Scottie Pippen stat comparison

  1. #1
    Member Evan_The_Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis, In. via Oakland, Ca.
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,413

    Default Danny Granger/Scottie Pippen stat comparison

    I'm bored tonight and mad that I couldn't make the forum party, so I'm looking at stats.

    I like Danny's progress. I've been critical of him because of his 3 point camping and his lack of ability to finish on the break, and how confused he looks at times offensively. But I also tend to forget what I liked about him that I noticed about him in his rookie season. He learns fast... And I mean FAST. In his rookie year he had to learn BOTH forward positions while getting used to the rigorous schedule of the NBA. By playoff time that same year he was coming in in Peja's absence and shooting 54% from beyond the arc (during the playoffs) and hitting some key shots for us.

    Last season he polished his skills a bit and nearly doubled his scoring output, but admitted he wasn't ready to play more minutes when the trade happened. That's ok, this year he came in ready. Early this season he got Eastern Conference Player of the week, which even I thought was a fluke. He then started camping out at the three-point line and putting together some "ok" games, but nothing spectacular. But lately even on a bad shooting night, he's been playing some extremely aggressive defense, and has been extremely aggressive offensively and has started getting more of his points from the free-throw line.

    Getting his points from the free-throw line make him a deadly weapon, especially being an 80% (and counting) free-throw shooter. This is something I think was holding him back. His ball handling has improved over the past few games, and at this point I think he's a crossover away from scoring 25 a game with ease. I think he sees the transition in progress. It's just a matter of time before he's the new man in town. The next face of the franchise. He's opening eyes across the league (most recently George Karl).

    I'll admit that I said Shawne Williams ceiling is higher, and that Shawne is the better player. I don't know if I believe that to be true, but I'd love to see them both come into their own together. I think with Shawne's abilities, he's not a bad fit for a 4 man.

    On to the Granger/Pippen comparison. I think Danny is the one to see Scottie Pippen when he see's himself. I don't know if I quite see that because he's nowhere near the ball handler and distributor Pippen was. But other than that, their paces aren't far off...

    Pippen rookie: 7.9ppg, 3.8rpg, 2.1apg, 1.2spg, 0.7bpg 46%FG, 17%3FG
    year2 : 14.4ppg, 6.1rpg, 3.5apg, 1.9spg, 0.8bpg, 47%FG, 27%3FG
    year3 : 16.5ppg, 6.7rpg, 5.4apg, 2.6spg, 1.2bpg, 49%FG, 25%3FG


    Granger rookie: 7.5ppg, 4.9rpg, 1.2apg, 0.7spg, 0.8bpg, 46%FG, 32%3FG
    year2 : 13.9ppg, 4.6rpg, 1.4apg, 0.8spg, 0.7bpg, 45.9%FG, 38%3FG
    year3 (so far): 18.6ppg, 6.2rpg, 1.8apg, 0.8spg, 1.4bpg, 44%FG, 34%3FG


    Other than points rebounds and blocks in the 1st and 3rd years, there isn't much to compare. Both defensive minded, but I think Scottie had the longer arms and quicker hands. Scottie never averaged better than 1.2 blocks per game, and Danny is on pace to beat that.

    I can't think of a player Danny really compares to. I think he's just a player of his own. He doesn't have quick enough hands for steals defensively, but he is getting better and better at being a physical and a pressure defender that can block shots. Offensively he doesn't create for others, but he's becoming more and more efficient at making something positive happen with the ball in his hands.

    Regardless of what happens, if he's improving at this rate, imagine what he has in store for us next year...

  2. #2
    Remember #31 dohman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    1,333

    Default Re: Danny Granger/Scottie Pippen stat comparison

    I was going to say it appears pippen is a much better passer because of his assists per game. But then I remember he had someone to pass to that could his his shots

  3. #3
    Member andreialta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pleasanton
    Age
    25
    Posts
    528

    Default Re: Danny Granger/Scottie Pippen stat comparison

    haha.. they play so similar!!

    we need a MJ. but we only have a MDJ. haha
    [SIGPIC]Dun Dun shooting form![/SIGPIC]

  4. #4

    Default Re: Danny Granger/Scottie Pippen stat comparison

    well heres to hoping we make a trade to be able to get someone in the draft that can hit those shots *cough*ericgordon*cough*
    Hulk - "I'm 5 for 5 from the line. I should shoot technicals now."

  5. #5
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,262

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Danny Granger/Scottie Pippen stat comparison

    Granger isn't a point-forward, which is what made Pippen so unique. Comparison over.

    There have been numerous small forwards that could handle the ball, or score, or rebound, or defend or run an offense at a high level.

    There have just been very few that could do them all.

    Grant Hill was probably the only guy that came close to being what Pippen was, but his ankle derailed that possibility.
    Last edited by Kstat; 12-02-2007 at 05:49 AM.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  6. #6
    It Might Be a Soft J JayRedd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    34
    Posts
    12,158

    Default Re: Danny Granger/Scottie Pippen stat comparison

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Granger isn't a point-forward, which is what made Pippen so unique. Comparison over.

    There have been numerous small forwards that could handle the ball, or score, or rebound, or defend or run an offense at a high level.

    There have just been very few that could do them all.

    Grant Hill was probably the only guy that came close to being what Pippen was, but his ankle derailed that possibility.
    Yup.

    Also, IMO, Pippen never would have become as great as he did without years of practice and playing with MJ to motivate him to improve, instill supreme confidence, and demand that he didn't make mistakes. No disrespect meant to Scottie (although I think the Granger comparison shows somewhat of a lack of respect for just how amazing this guy was) because he would have been very, very, very good anyway...but I just don't think you can ignore the impact that playing a decade next to greatest competitor, most skilled player and most influential personality the NBA has ever seen had on his basketball acumen.

    That was a unique experience. And Danny will never experience anything close to that in his life.
    Last edited by JayRedd; 12-02-2007 at 12:51 PM.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

    Follow my twitter:

    @8pts9secs


  7. #7
    Raw Talent Robertmto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Nap
    Posts
    5,262
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Danny Granger/Scottie Pippen stat comparison



    THIS is what I'm talking about when I say Granger is overrated.

    He's not gonna be Scottie Pippen. Pippen is one of the greatest 50 players in the history of the league. Garnger is well.....not.
    STARBURY

    08 and Beyond

  8. #8
    The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,582

    Default Re: Danny Granger/Scottie Pippen stat comparison

    Quote Originally Posted by Karmakillaz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    well heres to hoping we make a trade to be able to get someone in the draft that can hit those shots *cough*ericgordon*cough*
    Everybody keeps saying that, but I've watched Gordon play a couple of times and he seems to disappear in stretches *cough*xavier*cough* or a large portion of the game against SIU he was pretty much a nonfactor until the last 5-6 minutes of the game. He's got near similar stats to OJ Mayo from USC and Mayo is 6'5'' and rebounds better. Although I have also seen Gordon do some pretty good things like when he was playing against Georgia Tech he was out from 20ft took ONE dribble towards the rim jumped and dunked it, also defensively he has really quick hands. I'm just not as sold on him as some of you IU faithful are.

  9. #9
    Member Evan_The_Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis, In. via Oakland, Ca.
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,413

    Default Re: Danny Granger/Scottie Pippen stat comparison

    Quote Originally Posted by Robertmto View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote


    THIS is what I'm talking about when I say Granger is overrated.

    He's not gonna be Scottie Pippen. Pippen is one of the greatest 50 players in the history of the league. Garnger is well.....not.
    I'm taking it you didn't read the thread. Granger on draft day was asked something along the lines of "Who do you compare yourself to" and he answered Scottie Pippen. From that point on, from time to time people here have brought up Scottie's name when talking about Danny.

    I agree that Granger is no Scottie Pippen, and probably never will be. I don't even thing they play similar, and like Kstat said, what made Pippen unique was the fact that he was more of a point forward. That means that Granger would have to be a much better decision maker to even be mentioned in the same breath in comparison to Pippen.

    In my boredom I thought I would compare the two.

  10. #10
    Raw Talent Robertmto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Nap
    Posts
    5,262
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Danny Granger/Scottie Pippen stat comparison

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Everybody keeps saying that, but I've watched Gordon play a couple of times and he seems to disappear in stretches *cough*xavier*cough* or a large portion of the game against SIU he was pretty much a nonfactor until the last 5-6 minutes of the game. He's got near similar stats to OJ Mayo from USC and Mayo is 6'5'' and rebounds better. Although I have also seen Gordon do some pretty good things like when he was playing against Georgia Tech he was out from 20ft took ONE dribble towards the rim jumped and dunked it, also defensively he has really quick hands. I'm just not as sold on him as some of you IU faithful are.
    Yea after running off Artest and Jax i'm sure Indy fans would LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE Mayo

    Quote Originally Posted by Evan_The_Dude View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm taking it you didn't read the thread. Granger on draft day was asked something along the lines of "Who do you compare yourself to" and he answered Scottie Pippen. From that point on, from time to time people here have brought up Scottie's name when talking about Danny.
    Except Pippen was a better shooter, a better defender, a better rebounder, more feared and a MUCH better passer.
    STARBURY

    08 and Beyond

  11. #11
    Member BoomBaby31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles (Marina del Rey)
    Posts
    1,958

    Default Re: Danny Granger/Scottie Pippen stat comparison

    Quote Originally Posted by Karmakillaz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    well heres to hoping we make a trade to be able to get someone in the draft that can hit those shots *cough*ericgordon*cough*
    Eric Gordon is the real deal. Man I hope I.U makes a run in the Tournament. 2001 was the **** in Btown during the Tourney. I'll have to make a trip back to my hometown, if that's the case.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Woodside,NY
    Age
    33
    Posts
    281

    Default Re: Danny Granger/Scottie Pippen stat comparison

    As KStat pointed out Danny Granger isn't a point forward so there really is no way you can compare them. He doesn't handle the ball that well and he's not known for his passing ability. Just answer this question do you see him initiating the offense in the years to come? Guys like T-mac, Odom are closer to Pippen on the offensive end because they can at least do that but I still wouldn't compare them to Pippen.

    Then on the other side of the ball your talking about one of the best defenders to ever play the game. His ability to guard multiple positions, his ability to totally disrupt the other teams offensive gameplan. I still have nightmares of when he was guarding Mark Jackson when Jackson couldn't even bring the ball up the court to set the offense.Granger does not have that type of skill on the defensive end.Thats nothing to be ashamed of, He'll be good in that area.Theres a reason why Pippen is considered a all time great.

  13. #13
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    9,181
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Danny Granger/Scottie Pippen stat comparison

    Mayo is a SG in the NBA. Gordon will play PG. Mayo may rebound better but Gordon is a better long range 3 point shooter.

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,089

    Default Re: Danny Granger/Scottie Pippen stat comparison

    Quote Originally Posted by Robertmto View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Except Pippen was a better shooter
    No. Granger is a better shooter right now than Pippen was at any point in his career.

    The closest youngster in the league to Pippen is easily Andre Iguodala. They have virtually the exact same strengths and weaknesses.

    I'd say right now Granger's just below Josh Howard and right above Tayshaun Prince on the list of NBA's top SF's. I think eventually he'll become a better player than Howard, as he's physically superior and a better shooter. But he'll never be Scottie Pippen.

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,089

    Default Re: Danny Granger/Scottie Pippen stat comparison

    Quote Originally Posted by intridcold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Mayo is a SG in the NBA. Gordon will play PG. Mayo may rebound better but Gordon is a better long range 3 point shooter.
    I disagree. Everything I've seen has Gordon listed as 6'4". That's not ideal, but is adequate size for a SG (Dwyane Wade's 6'4"). Gordon's also just 18, so he may have a little growing left in him. I just can't see him as a point guard, he even has a negative assist-to-turnover ratio.

  16. #16
    The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,582

    Default Re: Danny Granger/Scottie Pippen stat comparison

    Quote Originally Posted by Robertmto View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yea after running off Artest and Jax i'm sure Indy fans would LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE Mayo .
    you must know something about him that I don't? has he been in trouble often or somethin?

    I disagree. Everything I've seen has Gordon listed as 6'4". That's not ideal, but is adequate size for a SG (Dwyane Wade's 6'4"). Gordon's also just 18, so he may have a little growing left in him. I just can't see him as a point guard, he even has a negative assist-to-turnover ratio.
    I agree with that I just don't see him as a point I see him more as a scoring guard. I think he is more like a Gilbert Arenas gil is 6'4'' and can handle the PG/SG duties based on matchups.

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,089

    Default Re: Danny Granger/Scottie Pippen stat comparison

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    you must know something about him that I don't? has he been in trouble often or somethin?
    Mayo's "thug" reputation is way, way overblown. He allegedly assaulted a ref during a game back in January. It was completely laughable, to the point that a judge actually lifted the suspension. Video evidence: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkt4YdLdXjM

    And in March he was a passenger in a car that had marijuana in it. It wasn't his car and the charges were dropped.

  18. #18
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Danny Granger/Scottie Pippen stat comparison

    He's also an arrogant punk from what I've seen, heard, and read. Bad vibes.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •