Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34

Thread: Let's Parse the Dunleavey quote.

  1. #1
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,218

    Default Let's Parse the Dunleavey quote.

    "What was going through my mind was, Im a Christian, I go to church and God may not be a Pacer fan, but he gives us fairness and he was going to come through," Dunleavy said with a smile.


    This quote is just too darn interesting, unique, and a bit strange not to discuss.

    I'm guessing some guys have shyed away from it cuz it's an awkward subject.

    My comments:

    - First, I didn't know Dunleavy was an outspoken Christian type (or is he? the quote might have been sarcastic.) That really adds to the milk-drinking persona, does it not? Kind of funny, really.

    - Did anyone see him give the quote? Was it on camera or just to a reporter? My guess is the entire quote was tongue in cheek, laughing about his bad luck when he does all the right things.

    - Has there been anything else written about Dunleavey's faith?

    - If Dun gets arrested at a strip joint, it will REALLY be complicated.

    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  2. #2
    Member Dr. Goldfoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,428

    Default Re: Let's Parse the Dunleavey quote.

    I think he was being sarcastic.

  3. #3
    Member jeffg-body's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Anderson, IN
    Posts
    3,596
    Mood

    Default Re: Let's Parse the Dunleavey quote.

    I think it was just one of those things people say when they are not having the best of luck. I don't think he'll be toting a Bible to the games anytime soon.

  4. #4
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,986

    Default Re: Let's Parse the Dunleavey quote.

    I don't know what his beliefs are. I think he was just joking around

  5. #5
    ENABEABLER MagicRat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,852

    Default Re: Let's Parse the Dunleavey quote.

    He let fly a string of profanities just after the game was over, so he may have some explaining to do this Sunday......
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

  6. #6
    It Might Be a Soft J JayRedd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    34
    Posts
    12,158

    Default Re: Let's Parse the Dunleavey quote.

    He's clearly joking. God bleeds Pacer blue.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

    Follow my twitter:

    @8pts9secs


  7. #7
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,748

    Default Re: Let's Parse the Dunleavey quote.

    Not to be Theology Police, but his quote isn't exactly the kind of thing I'd expect somebody sincere about their faith to say. So I took "I'm a Christian" to be "I believe in God. I went to church when I was little. I'm an American."

    Funny thing is that I joked at the time that we wouldn't have blinked if he'd said "I believe in karma" even thought that's a religious belief (and wouldn't apply here, in pretty much the same way). And then he went and SAID karma the next time around.

    Just ironic.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  8. #8
    It Might Be a Soft J JayRedd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    34
    Posts
    12,158

    Default Re: Let's Parse the Dunleavey quote.

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Funny thing is that I joked at the time that we wouldn't have blinked if he'd said "I believe in karma" even thought that's a religious belief (and wouldn't apply here, in pretty much the same way). And then he went and SAID karma the next time around.

    Just ironic.
    I noticed that too. You may be a prophet.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

    Follow my twitter:

    @8pts9secs


  9. #9
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,218

    Default Re: Let's Parse the Dunleavey quote.

    Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He let fly a string of profanities just after the game was over, so he may have some explaining to do this Sunday......
    That makes a little more sense. I hadn't heard anything about him being a poster child for Christianity.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  10. #10

    Default Re: Let's Parse the Dunleavey quote.

    As far as I'm concerned, God will always be wearing an old-school,
    ABA-days, Pacer jersey #35.

    And he puts a serious hurtin' on Willie Wise in the pickup games
    'upstairs'...!

  11. #11
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    9,187
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Let's Parse the Dunleavey quote.

    God has better things to do.


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCNo_voO2l4
    Last edited by Major Cold; 11-30-2007 at 12:42 PM.

  12. #12
    Member Raoul Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Philawarepraguacago
    Posts
    408

    Default Re: Let's Parse the Dunleavey quote.

    Well I know he does go to church because he goes to the same one as me. He's catholic.

  13. #13
    Member andreialta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pleasanton
    Age
    26
    Posts
    528

    Default Re: Let's Parse the Dunleavey quote.

    well he went to a Jesuit high school i think in Oregon so yah! haha

    more or less, the quote was just sarcasm, he does this when he is pissed

    did this with the warriors. but just can't seem to find the quotes! haha
    [SIGPIC]Dun Dun shooting form![/SIGPIC]

  14. #14
    Expect Delays blanket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,810

    Default Re: Let's Parse the Dunleavey quote.



    "Get that weak ****** outta here!"
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

  15. #15
    Fear my small avatar Gyron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    6,366

    Default Re: Let's Parse the Dunleavey quote.

    lol, I saw this in that link that Intri posted above....

    I had forgotten about this one....

    Edit: Removed since it offended some.....
    Last edited by Gyron; 12-01-2007 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Not my intent to offend.

  16. #16
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,218

    Default Re: Let's Parse the Dunleavey quote.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gyron View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    lol, I saw this in that link that Intri posted above....

    I had forgotten about this one....
    Hmmmmmm . . . .
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  17. #17
    It Might Be a Soft J JayRedd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    34
    Posts
    12,158

    Default Re: Let's Parse the Dunleavey quote.

    [yt]zKDC2iBQTYg[/yt]
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

    Follow my twitter:

    @8pts9secs


  18. #18
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,638

    Default Re: Let's Parse the Dunleavey quote.

    Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's clearly joking. God bleeds Pacer blue.
    Check your Nietzsche, God is dead and it's shown since Reggie had his layup blocked.

    Now baby Jesus, tiny infant Jesus...well those diapers are blue and golden fleece all the way.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 11-30-2007 at 03:28 PM.

  19. #19
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,748

    Default Re: Let's Parse the Dunleavey quote.

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    well those diapers are blue and golden fleece all the way.
    Makes sense... it's felt like we were getting crapped on for a while.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  20. #20
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,218

    Default Re: Let's Parse the Dunleavey quote.

    Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    [yt]zKDC2iBQTYg[/yt]
    I just email blasted that clip to most of my friends.

    Extremely funny.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  21. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood, Indiana
    Posts
    2,687

    Default Re: Let's Parse the Dunleavey quote.

    Am I the only Christian member of Pacers Digest? Unbelievable....

  22. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Age
    47
    Posts
    46

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Let's Parse the Dunleavey quote.

    Quote Originally Posted by tora tora View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Am I the only Christian member of Pacers Digest? Unbelievable....
    Nope. You are not alone...

  23. #23

    Default Re: Let's Parse the Dunleavey quote.

    I don't think he was joking around at all. I think he was serious.

    I watched the game and throughout it seemed every call went the Nuggets' way. Now, I posted in the other Pacers' message board near the end of the game when the Pacers were up by 6 or so points that the Nuggets would start jacking up 3-pters and play "hack-a-Pacer" to cut the lead and possibly steal the win. So, it didn't surprise me to see the game get very close even with the game clock ticking down below 24 seconds. But that foul against Dun w/6 tics left...

    The replay clearly showed Dun never touched the guy. Moreover, the body contact the refs did call was so mild, so slight. They hadn't made that call all game and there were plenty of moments were the perimeter defender from both side were damned near colliding w/the opposing shooter, and yet the refs never blew the whistle - not once! And then suddenly with the game on the line they decide to make the call on whimpy, if not questionable, contact? Give me a break!

    I don't blame Dun for feeling nor thinking that way. Justice, whether by the refs or divine intervention, had to prevail. I'm proud to say the God Dun and I both worship came through.
    Last edited by NuffSaid; 11-30-2007 at 10:35 PM.

  24. #24
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,218

    Default Re: Let's Parse the Dunleavey quote.

    Quote Originally Posted by tora tora View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Am I the only Christian member of Pacers Digest? Unbelievable....
    What would make you say that?
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  25. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood, Indiana
    Posts
    2,687

    Default Re: Let's Parse the Dunleavey quote.

    Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What would make you say that?
    Those youtube clips aint funny.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •