Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: If the NBA wasn't corrupt, the refs would be held accountable...

Default Re: If the NBA wasn't corrupt, the refs would be held accountable...

Kstat,

I'm going to answer one of the classic questions for you of all time. Is the glass half-full or half-empty? The answer... it all depends on who is pouring.

Ron Artest has done some blatant things that have caught the ire of the Pacers fans. Getting into a fight with Legendary coach Mel Daniels tops the list. The dude has just made some poor decisions. So, I will acknowledge he has made some dirty plays, yet he has tamed considerably. With his reputation, if he makes that same move than it is played on Sports Center all day with "cheapshot artist" headlines.

This I will guarantee you. If the roles were reversed, and Chauncey had his sore leg pulled and tripped by the opposition, you would be upset indeed. You can rationalize all you want how it is ok "because other people do it," but that is the worst defense of an argument of all time. The reason it is a bad defense is that it doesn't even address the issue. Hey if I rack up as much debt as I can, as long as my neighbor does it... it's ok! I'm exaggerating here, I just don't think it is sound logic to use.

And btw, how did you feel watching what happened to Chauncey last year? How did you feel watching Isiah get setup? Did you just throw up your hands and say "Dems da' breaks boys," or were you ticked off? If you are being honest, I'm sure you had a different perspective. This is a Pacers forum for crying out loud, so I like to share my disgust with other Pacer fans. As you can see, some have agreed and some disagreed. Rarely is a post accepted universally... and I'm ok with that.

I still find it amusing how many people think this thread is blaming the game on officiating. Very few people have stated that at all, but I'm sure we'll see 6 new faces say "The Pacers just lost the game." It is more than obvious to me that the officiating did not lose this game and I can't imagine more than 10% of the Pacers fan base believes it was lost on officiating. Face it, we missed wide open jumpers and Free throws, and as long as the men in black and white weren't guarding us... it's hard to blame them.

The crux of most of this thread is simply saying, they sure didn't help us any.
    “Seventy percent of me talking on the court is personally for me to get me
    motivated and going. Thirty percent is to see if I can get into the opponent’s head.”
    Reggie Miller

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Was I upset? Sure. But there was nobody to be mad AT. Billups wasnt trying to further injure Jamaal's leg, he was trying to stop him from initiating an outlet pass. In that kind of situation, I would consider it pretty petty for me to begrudge another team for trying to win a game. If Jamaal's leg wasnt hurt, this wouldnt even be a TOPIC and everyone here knows it.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Okay, so if that happened to Billups in any other game would you call that a dirty play or shrug and say "Fair enough"? That's really what the question is.

Okay, so if that happened to Billups in any other game would you call that a dirty play or shrug and say "Fair enough"? That's really what the question is.
    If Billups was hurt and he got tripped?

-if it was for no reason, I'd be a little peeved.

-if the guy was simply trying to stop a sure fast break, I'd have no animocity whatsoever. You cant worry about the other guy's injuries when you're trying to win a championship. You have to treat him like everyone else on the court.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I guess I do remember yelling at one of Ronnie Garretson's calls, because I yelled that his dad was 10x better as an official.
    Holy cow I thought I heard some Lunatic fan screaming that during the Game :P
    Hey, when I'm in the Fieldhouse, I wear my emotions on my sleeve.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Grey

I think it's ridiculous that anyone would expect Chauncy to stop and think, "Maybe I'd better not foul him. He's got a bad leg."

I think it's ridiculous that anyone would expect Chauncy to stop and think, "Maybe I'd better not foul him. He's got a bad leg."
    Agreed. Maybe the WNBA has a thread like this somewhere....... :P

Tripping = Dirty

Agreed. Maybe the WNBA has a thread like this somewhere....... :P
    Well, we will agree to disagree. I think you made a Freudian slip in your thread above when you said "if it was done for no reason" then you would be peeved. The game wasn't on the line and there were a million other fouls that could have been made to prevent that play. If a Piston was on the other end of the floor then one of those guys could foul the shooter. This wasn't the last five seconds of a game in crunch time... this wasn't a must have play.

I'm not asking everybody to take it easy on Jamal, so the WNBA reference is quite lame. How often do you see a guy get his leg pulled in mid air in stride? You probably see that about zero times per game. It is a particularly obvious and dirty foul.

If JT goes for a layup and gets a hard foul... I can live with that as he is on the floor with every other player. If he drives and someone intentionally whacks him in the leg or is conveniently there for him to land on their foot... that is the kind of crap I'm talking about. There is clearly a difference between playing the game hard and playing dirty. If people can't understand the difference it isn't worth discussing.

If yanking a guys leg in mid-air isn't dirty, what is? Taking out a pouch of sand and blowing it in his eyes or maybe supergluing his shoe to the floor? Or maybe a Wile E. Coyote TNT bomb... LOL You have to draw the line somewhere and this is clearly over the line. It's just like a hard foul to the basket. Everybody has to draw that line of when it has crossed over to dirty ball.

Yes, dirty basketball is played every night and Foster and Artest are the usual suspects for the Pacers. However, when they do it I'm objective enough to acknowledge it. Kstat, it is clear to me that you can not do that. Either that or you have a very unique definition of what is dirty and what is not. Of course since you probably grew up with the dirtiest basketball team of all time (which includes Isiah Thomas, and I graduated from IU) perhaps you have a different vantage point.

For the record, I don't think Billups is a dirty player, but that was clearly a dirty play.
    motivated and going. Thirty percent is to see if I can get into the opponent’s head.”
    Reggie Miller

In case you haven't noticved, EVERY basket in this series is big. Fast breaks are momentum-changing plays, so when you can foul to prevent one you PREVENT ONE. Who's to say the fast break that Billups doesnt prevent wakes Indiana up and sparks them to victory? Momentum can EASILY swing on a play like that.

The only part of Tins that was within Chauncey's reach was his shoe, so thats what he grabbed. It was within the flow of the game. If you cant see that, then YOURE the one not looking at things objectively, not me.

Whatever.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

The only part of Tins that was within Chauncey's reach was his shoe, so thats what he grabbed. It was within the flow of the game. If you cant see that, then YOURE the one not looking at things objectively, not me.
    LAME

In case you haven't noticved,
    thats what he grabbed. It was within the flow of the game.
    What in the world does "in the flow of the game" mean? I can hammer somebody driving the lane as long as it is in the flow??? Reggie Miller is too small to grab Rasheed, so he did the next best thing and smashed his foot on his Plantar Fascitis, but it was all cool... it's in the flow!!!

You keep failing to answer a simple question... if grabbing a guys leg in mid stride and making him trip isn't dirty, what is?

I anxiously await your response.

Reggie Miller