Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: If the NBA wasn't corrupt, the refs would be held accountable...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: If the NBA wasn't corrupt, the refs would be held accountable...

and on the same token youll find a lot of pistons fans thought the pacers fouled the pistons more. Welcome to homerism 101.
    In which you obviously excelled.

I am not often, no strong still, I have never to my recollection, blamed the refs, tonight was absolutely ridiculous.

anyone saying different has a problem.
    Yes yes, the poor pacers got the short end again, and anyone who thinks differently has the problem VERY original, able.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

and on the same token youll find a lot of pistons fans thought the pacers fouled the pistons more. Welcome to homerism 101.

I am not often, no strong still, I have never to my recollection, blamed the refs, tonight was absolutely ridiculous.

Yes yes, the poor pacers got the short end again, and anyone who thinks differently has the problem VERY original, able.
    You'd simply have to see it from this side. I've felt this loooong before your Pistons came to rain on my parade. I've never once in a series had to feel guilty advancing because I felt the refs handed it to us. Not even a little. Can you honestly tell me all your low-post defense is honest? Do you seriously believe they're just "that good" they don't foul that much? Please.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

You'd simply have to see it from this side. I've felt this loooong before your Pistons came to rain on my parade. I've never once in a series had to feel guilty advancing because I felt the refs handed it to us. Not even a little. Can you honestly tell me all your low-post defense is honest? Do you seriously believe they're just "that good" they don't foul that much? Please.
    Exactly.

No offense, Kstat, but you're becoming more and more homerish every day. You used to be much more objectionable.

Exactly.

No offense, Kstat, but you're becoming more and more homerish every day. You used to be much more objectionable.
    slowly but damn sure he is turning into a troll of serious magnitude.

Not only doesn't he show when they lost, yeah a day late, but when they won he is here rubbing it in, well let me lighten you up sonny:

You and i saw the same game, on the same type of television no doubt, or are you now gonna tell me that not only can yo not go to games you also don't watch them?

Your "inside" defense is a "hack-a-ton" of enormous proportions, sanctioned by the ref-taste of the night.

If you can not admit simple things like the ridiculous T on JO (delayed no less like it was a friggin hockey game) then you have lost not only objectivity but also sanity and i pity you.

I'm unfortunately slightly to far away to attend home games (only about 6,000 miles out) but let me tell you, if any "piston-fan" pushed someone wearing a pacer jersey down the stairs, I would personally kick his *** back to Detroit.

condoning such behaviour is an almost bigger disgrace then drunkenly comitting it.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Can you honestly tell me that Reggie is only as good as the refs that call his flops, since without them he'd have like 5,000 fewer points on his resume? You do realize EVERYONE IN THE NBA thinks the pacers get calls because of reggie miller.

And yes, I do feel our post defense is just that good. Just like you believe Reggie Miller is just that good. To defend one but not the other is purely hypocritical.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Can you honestly tell me that Reggie is only as good as the refs that call his flops, since without them he'd have like 5,000 fewer points on his resume? You do realize EVERYONE IN THE NBA thinks the pacers get calls because of reggie miller.

And yes, I do feel our post defense is just that good. Just like you believe Reggie Miller is just that good. To defend one but not the other is purely hypocritical.
    You have no idea what you're talking about. We damn well do acknowledge Reggie's legendary flopping. But he was getting hosed as badly as anyone tonight.

And your interior defense is not THAT good. It will be exposed by the Lakers.

Kstat, all you can do is throw back accusations without really defending your own. Reggie flops. Reggie's gotten lots of calls for his flops. That in no way shape or form makes your defense light in fouls. Not at all.

Shade is correct; it will be fully exposed against the Lakers. They won't let you do it to Shaq or Kobe, and probably not Karl or Gary either.

Exactly.

Not only doesn't he show when they lost, yeah a day late, but when they won he is here rubbing it in, well let me lighten you up sonny:

You and i saw the same game, on the same type of television no doubt, or are you now gonna tell me that not only can yo not go to games you also don't watch them?

Your "inside" defense is a "hack-a-ton" of enormous proportions, sanctioned by the ref-taste of the night.

If you can not admit simple things like the ridiculous T on JO (delayed no less like it was a friggin hockey game) then you have lost not only objectivity but also sanity and i pity you.

I'm unfortunately slightly to far away to attend home games (only about 6,000 miles out) but let me tell you, if any "piston-fan" pushed someone wearing a pacer jersey down the stairs, I would personally kick his *** back to Detroit.

condoning such behaviour is an almost bigger disgrace then drunkenly comitting it.
    Point out where I was "rubbing it in." Go ahead, I DARE you.

BTW, I highly doubt a piston fan REALLY pushed a pacer fan down the stairs. If I reported a Pacer fan did that at a pistons game would YOU believe it? No.

And you seem to like putting words in my mouth too I see. I figured everyone would take their anger out on me, but I came here anyway. Oh well. I'm actually being more positive about the pacers than %90 of the poster here....and you call ME the troll

Exactly.

Point out where I was "rubbing it in." Go ahead, I DARE you.

BTW, I highly doubt a piston fan REALLY pushed a pacer fan down the stairs. If I reported a Pacer fan did that at a pistons game would YOU believe it? No.

And you seem to like putting words in my mouth too I see. I figured everyone would take their anger out on me, but I came here anyway. Oh well. I'm actually being more positive about the pacers than %90 of the poster here....and you call ME the troll
    dare me ???

Your entire behaviour is geared towards this, one does not words to "rub it in", one can behave that way, like you do. read your own posts if you're not quite sure about what I mean.

Flirting with it, but go ahead, the sweeter the Pistons' fall will taste, whenever it comes.
    You doubting observations by someone who was at the game is outrageous, never once was this kind of topic posted earlier, so why would it be made up now, why would anyone have a reason, other then misplaced homerism, to doubt such words?

Me putting words in your mouth? surely you thrown out enough garbage tonight that you don't need my help, show me where.

Your so called "support" is nothing but taunting, insulting nothing else.

But then again, it takes more then this to insult me, perhaps it is therefore you hide the insults and pretend?

you call people liars, fans bad, and our opinions worthless and you are not insulting people??

you gotta be joking, or insane.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

The Pacers lost tonights game b/c they flat out sucked. You can blame everybody not named Fred Jones, and that includes Rick Carlisle. I don't blame the officiating.

However, do you know what really ticks me off? I'm one of these guys that susbcribes to a theory I'll call NBA Realism. We all know that if you are on the interstate the speed limit is not really 55. The speed limit, as it is predominately enforced, is about 67 mph... depending on the town.

What irks me to no end is the lack of a "home court advantage." There is no way JO should have been called with that over-the-back call esp. when you consider he is an elite player and playing at home. You play all year to get the best record so you get the friendly whistle here and there. At the very least you expect a game where the officiating doesn't take sides one way or the other, but to feel like it is tipping the other way... that is tough. Remember, it isn't just how may fouls are called, but who the fouls are called on is important.

Reggie shouldn't have been awarded a trip to the line for his leg kick, but did it really warrant a foul? It wasn't a particularly hard foul and should have been a no-call in my opinon. Those are the types of fouls you just don't expect to have called on your home court. As many years as Reg has been in the league, he should have to shoot somebody for them to call an offensive foul on him based on the NBA merit system. And the techs on Reg and O'neal... with what has been allowed in this series? Very puzzling to say the least.

I'd love for the NBA to be a place where everything was equal. The superstars wouldn't get preferrential treatment and home court wouldn't mean anything. However, we all know that star treatment and home cooking happen in most sports, particularly the NBA. The refs just about walked the Pistons back into the game at the Palace the other night.

I was particularly upset with the Billups leg grab on Tinsley. There is nothing wrong with exposing a player's weakness. If a guy is hurt, you drive on him b/c he has a bum wheel. But to grab an injured guys leg and pull on it... that was Laimbeer-dirty in my honest opinion. I can deal with tugging and holding b/c everybody does that, but to aggravate an injury with a dirty foul... that is just unconscionable.
    “Seventy percent of me talking on the court is personally for me to get me
    motivated and going. Thirty percent is to see if I can get into the opponent’s head.”
    Reggie Miller

Reggie shouldn't have been awarded a trip to the line for his leg kick, but did it really warrant a foul?
    I honestly think everyone watching a TV tuned into the game in 49 states gave that call a standing ovation. Reggie has been getting away with kicking out with that leg for SEVENTEEN YEARS- and FINALLY he gets penalized for it. I know me and everyone watching the game looked at each other and laughed.

It should have been a no-call for sure, but I think every 17 years he was due for one

I was particularly upset with the Billups leg grab on Tinsley. There is nothing wrong with exposing a player's weakness. If a guy is hurt, you drive on him b/c he has a bum wheel. But to grab an injured guys leg and pull on it... that was Laimbeer-dirty in my honest opinion.
    Billups was on the floor, and if you NOTICED the Pacers had a 4-on-2 fast break if Tins would have caught that outlet pass. Not to mention that the ref was RIGHT IN FRONT on the play. If Billups REALLY wanted to hurt Tins, there were far less obvious ways of doing it. I'm certain he wasnt even THINKING about his injured leg.

Billups did what he had to do to stop a fast break. It wasnt a dirty play.

[font=Arial:6b7f56ef6f] [/font][font=Andalus:6b7f56ef6f] [/font][font=Arial:6b7f56ef6f] [/font]

Kstat, I can understand the enthusiasm for the call. Reggie isn't the only "kicker" out there, Karl Malone is known for that as well. Iverson palms the ball, Ewing took about 20 steps to the basket for a layup, Jordan hooked on every play, etc. But to make that call in the Eastern Conference Finals at home on a 38 year-old veteran... wow.

We will agree to disagree, but that still goes down as a dirty foul in my book. He didn't twist it or anything, but there is no situation where it is appropriated to pull on a gimpy mans leg.
    motivated and going. Thirty percent is to see if I can get into the opponent’s head.”
    Reggie Miller

Frankly, I agree with everything Shade has been saying.

Refs can kiss my ***, and Kstat, you have seriously gotten worse with your homerism.

It was so obvious there was biased reffing. They were doing as much as possible to let the Pistons win. And hey, they did.

Congrats to the NBA for ruining this league. I hope you and all you Lakers fans are happy.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Intentionally tripping a player is always dirty.

DTropps

I'm sorry but ref conspiracy theories are ridiculous.
    You'll feel differently after the Finals.

No I won't (if we make it to the finals). I have never credited or blamed refs for deciding a game. A lot of Pistons fans still gripe about the fantom Laimbeer foul against Jabbar. I have never griped about it. It was a call that was made and - right or wrong - I can live with it. I am human. If one of my peers makes a mistake and makes a poor call I can live with it. After all the team I am pulling for makes tons of mistakes every single game.

Ah, the loser's lament - blaming the refs. Perhaps the greatest fan tradition of all time.

K stat, I would just stay out of threads discussing the refs on other boards. It's what I try to do. They want to complain, and they don't want anyone to say anything different. I say just let them have their fun.

[font=Arial:59f55c3472] [/font][font=Andalus:59f55c3472] [/font][font=Arial:59f55c3472] [/font]

Kstat, I can understand the enthusiasm for the call. Reggie isn't the only "kicker" out there, Karl Malone is known for that as well. Iverson palms the ball, Ewing took about 20 steps to the basket for a layup, Jordan hooked on every play, etc. But to make that call in the Eastern Conference Finals at home on a 38 year-old veteran... wow.

We will agree to disagree, but that still goes down as a dirty foul in my book. He didn't twist it or anything, but there is no situation where it is appropriated to pull on a gimpy mans leg.
    I'm sorry, but the fact he has a gimply leg should NOT prevent someone from making a play they would ordinarily make. If you're injured and you're playing, you take the risk.

Billups stopped what would have been a sure basket. He wasnt TRYING to injured the guy, he was just trying to prevent two points.

So why do some of you guys watch the games at all?

If you are convinced that the league plays favorites you know damn well the Pacers will never win anything. If I truly believed the refs are to blame for our losses then I would not watch the sport anymore. What would be the point?

Personally, I think we lost this game thanks to our injuries and pathetically unspired play. I don't blame the refs and I never will. They will make bad calls and there might be some personal agendas but not to the point that a team can blame their loss on them.

So why do some of you guys watch the games at all?

If you are convinced that the league plays favorites you know damn well the Pacers will never win anything. If I truly believed the refs are to blame for our losses then I would not watch the sport anymore. What would be the point?

Personally, I think we lost this game thanks to our injuries and pathetically unspired play. I don't blame the refs and I never will. They will make bad calls and there might be some personal agendas but not to the point that a team can blame their loss on them.
    THANK YOU

On nights like this, I wonder why this board even exists. If you think the NBA will never allow you to win an nba title, then why bother being a fan?

Ah, the loser's lament - blaming the refs. Perhaps the greatest fan tradition of all time.

K stat, I would just stay out of threads discussing the refs on other boards. It's what I try to do. They want to complain, and they don't want anyone to say anything different. I say just let them have their fun.
    **** off.

You know, you Pistons fans have SOME nerve coming here after a win. Yet, when you lose, we never see you. Don't be jackasses.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

I honestly think everyone watching a TV tuned into the game in 49 states gave that call a standing ovation. Reggie has been getting away with kicking out with that leg for SEVENTEEN YEARS- and FINALLY he gets penalized for it. I know me and everyone watching the game looked at each other and laughed.

It should have been a no-call for sure, but I think every 17 years he was due for one
    Wrong answer. Reggie hasn't gotten that call in years. Refs seem to really take joy in calling it an offensive foul. I have no idea why he still tries it......
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

My point is just that threads about the refs are going to be the least objective and most homeristic (on both sides) of any topic. So I suggest steering clear when on opposing teams' boards.

As for not being around after a loss, check again, you've got the wrong guy. The night I posted on here the most was after game one.

DTropps

I just read this entire thread.
    Do all of you really believe this or is this the heat of the moment?

From the beginning of time people have thought "someone" has something against their team. The fact remains the NBA doesn't have to do those things to create a great product or story line.

Most conspiracy people gripe about the Lakers - if the NBA wants them to win why didn't the Lakers win last year? I lived in Chicago during the second phase of the dynasty. Even in Chicago there were fans that thought the refs and NBA were against them because their act was "getting old" and hurting the NBA.

This season on a Pistons MB I am part of we had fans that thought the refs screwed us out of about 4-5 games. I told them all those accusations were ridiculous.

The sooner people can get past officiating - good or bad - the better you can enjoy the games.

[quote="Kstat"]
    [font=Arial:741712bcc3] [/font][font=Andalus:741712bcc3] [/font][font=Arial:741712bcc3] [/font]

I'm sorry, but the fact he has a gimply leg should NOT prevent someone from making a play they would ordinarily make. If you're injured and you're playing, you take the risk.

Billups stopped what would have been a sure basket. He wasnt TRYING to injured the guy, he was just trying to prevent two points.
    OK, if Rasheed Wallace was about to start a similar break, yet Jeff Foster stepped on his foot with Plantar Fasciitis (sp?) to stop him... do you view things the same way? If you are being honest with yourself, I don't think you would.

This isn't the Girl Scouts, so in the course of the game people are going to get hurt. I'm not suggesting people wear kid gloves. But if it looks like somebody is intentionally banging into JO's knee or a player deliberately trips somebody with a gimpy leg... that totally changes things. This is the way all these guys earn their livelihood. If you are willing to play by these rules, you'd better be ready to live by them. And that my friend is how people get hurt.

Wanna stop him? Get up and slap his hand in an obvious no attempt at a steal. Even a tug on the shorts would be more ethical than a trip.
    Reggie Miller

I just want to point out that several of us on this thread, including me, aren't blaming the officials for the loss. However, many of us are questioning some of the calls. This is a Pacer fan Internet forum. Why can't the officiating be discussed? Isn't it an element of the game?

Sometimes I vent on the officiaiting to get a reality check. Everybody has a different perspective. But I have to tell you, I have also clearly admitted when I think my team has benefitted from some no-calls. As long as a person is objective, I have no problem mentioning the officiating. Sometimes the officials do stink and it can cost you the game, and that is just a fact. However, tonight was not one of those nights where the officials cost us the game. Rip Hamilton was a much bigger concern than the pinstripes.
    Reggie Miller