Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34

Thread: Dunleavy says that Offense is Better When he is involved

  1. #1
    Member andreialta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pleasanton
    Age
    26
    Posts
    528

    Default Dunleavy says that Offense is Better When he is involved

    http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../1062/SPORTS04


    PORTLAND, Ore. -- Indiana Pacers shooting guard Mike Dunleavy says the numbers don't lie.

    Looking for space: Indiana's Danny Granger (left) maneuvers against Portland's Martell Webster during the first half of their game Wednesday night. The game was completed too late for results in this edition of The Star. Go to IndyStar.com for details on the outcome. - GREG WAHL-STEPHEN / Associated Press

    Dunleavy, who is having the best season of his six-year career, said the Pacers are a better team when he has a significant role in the offense.
    Dunleavy went into Wednesday's game at Portland averaging 22.4 points, 6.4 rebounds and 2.7 assists and shooting 53 percent in victories this season. He's only averaging 11.0 points and shooting 40 percent in losses
    "When I get in the flow offensively, it's pretty clear we're a good team," Dunleavy said. "When I don't, we struggle. Why that happens, I don't know. My approach is the same every night. I think it's pretty clear we're a good team when I can get my hands on the ball."
    Dunleavy, who scored a season-high 30 points in a victory over Denver on Tuesday, is at his best when the Pacers push the tempo and there is constant ball movement. He has a hard time finding a rhythm when the Pacers stand around on the perimeter as somebody attempts to go one-on-one with the ball.
    "I think he's a playmaker when you have the ball in his hands and let him make some decision," Pacers coach Jim O'Brien said. "I would say the same thing for Marquis Daniels. The load is taken off the Jamaal (Tinsley)."
    O'Neal still on sideline
    Make it five straight games that Pacers forward Jermaine O'Neal has missed.
    As he did on Tuesday, O'Neal, out with knee and calf problems, went through an intensive workout before Wednesday's game.
    O'Brien wants O'Neal healthy enough to help and also have the offense and defense maintain continuity.
    Jeff Foster started in O'Neal's place again.
    Can't be frozen
    O'Brien raised some eyebrows when he called a timeout after Shawne Williams shot one free throw with 11.4 seconds remaining and the Pacers clinging to a three-point lead in Tuesday's game at Denver.
    Opposing teams, not the team at the free throw line, usually call a timeout after the first free throw to try to freeze the shooter. Williams, who was trash talking with several Nuggets players, missed the second free throw.
    O'Brien said professional players shouldn't get rattled by a timeout being a called.
    "If they are frozen, shame on them," O'Brien said. "The reason behind (the timeout) was they only had a 20-second (timeout) and they still needed a couple of buckets. We had a foul to give and we knew they were going to rush the ball up the court. We wanted to make sure our guys knew where they were taking the foul at."
    [SIGPIC]Dun Dun shooting form![/SIGPIC]

  2. #2
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,821

    Default Re: Dunleavy says that Offense is Better When he is involved

    He has a hard time finding a rhythm when the Pacers stand around on the perimeter as somebody attempts to go one-on-one with the ball.


    Hmmmm........

    Very very curious. If this were the old days and this were the bunny I would suspect that old was getting a message out through the press.

    As it stands though I don't believe that Wells has any inclination to be a messanger so I just think he may be stating the obvious.

    Either way, is there even one single solitary person on this board who doesn't have a clue as to who that somebody is?


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  3. #3
    Member Ragnar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Age
    43
    Posts
    5,917

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dunleavy says that Offense is Better When he is involved

    Yeah I read it that way too Peck

  4. #4
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,748

    Default Re: Dunleavy says that Offense is Better When he is involved

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Either way, is there even one single solitary person on this board who doesn't have a clue as to who that somebody is?
    Tinsley. Didn't you see it?

    Every time Tinsley went into the post last night, the rest of the team just stopped and waited for him to finish. He eventually started yelling at them about it.

    Last edited by Anthem; 11-29-2007 at 09:25 AM.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  5. #5
    Member OakMoses's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Montana
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,031

    Default Re: Dunleavy says that Offense is Better When he is involved

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tinsley. Didn't you see it?

    Every time Tinsley went into the post last night, the rest of the team just stopped and waited for him to finish. He eventually started yelling at them about it.

    It's both Tinsley and O'Neal at times. JO is a good passer from the high post, but rarely passes out of the low post unless it's one of those give & go, backdoor cut, handoff plays.

    Tinsley does a better job of passing once he posts up, but the offense does seem to stall once the ball gets into the paint. I don't know who to blame it on, but it certainly happens. Murphy's often a guilty party as well.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

    - Salman Rushdie

  6. #6
    Member Evan_The_Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis, In. via Oakland, Ca.
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,413

    Default Re: Dunleavy says that Offense is Better When he is involved

    Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Murphy's often a guilty party as well.
    I think that's by design. The player guarding Murphy (usually a big man) has a choice. They can either leave Murphy open and risk giving up the three, or they can cover Murphy and make it easier for whoever we have posting up to get an inside bucket.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Dunleavy says that Offense is Better When he is involved

    "When I get in the flow offensively, it's pretty clear we're a good team," O'Neal said. "When I don't, we struggle. Why that happens, I don't know. My approach is the same every night. I think it's pretty clear we're a good team when I can get my hands on the ball."

    Why isn't there the outrage and pages to follow if this was how the quote appeared?

    I like the offense but post play does not equal bad basketball. I don't want to see a donut team out there.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

    "'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

  8. #8
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,218

    Default Re: Dunleavy says that Offense is Better When he is involved

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcadian View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "When I get in the flow offensively, it's not clear just yet if we're a good team," O'Neal said. "When I don't, we seem to always win. Why that happens, I don't know. My approach is the same every night. I think it's pretty clear we're a mediocre team with a losing record when I can get my hands on the ball."
    Fixed.

    And that's why there's no outrage when Dunleavey says it.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  9. #9
    Member OakMoses's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Montana
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,031

    Default Re: Dunleavy says that Offense is Better When he is involved

    Quote Originally Posted by Evan_The_Dude View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think that's by design. The player guarding Murphy (usually a big man) has a choice. They can either leave Murphy open and risk giving up the three, or they can cover Murphy and make it easier for whoever we have posting up to get an inside bucket.
    I was referring to the occasional iso/post plays we run for Murphy. Once you give him the ball, it never goes back out.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

    - Salman Rushdie

  10. #10

    Default Re: Dunleavy says that Offense is Better When he is involved

    Are you suggesting we aren't a mediocre team now?

    I want players involved in the offense so I'm not going to knock Dunleavy, but this is an average player, known for disappearing rather than winning in the NBA saying this.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

    "'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

  11. #11
    Member naptownmenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    4,655

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dunleavy says that Offense is Better When he is involved

    The reason I'm not offended or upset that he's saying this is because the team is 5-0 in games he scores 20 or more.

    It's hard to argue with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

  12. #12

    Default Re: Dunleavy says that Offense is Better When he is involved

    I agree with Dunleavy completely.
    Pacers!

  13. #13
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,218

    Default Re: Dunleavy says that Offense is Better When he is involved

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcadian View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are you suggesting we aren't a mediocre team now?
    Not when Dunleavey takes a lot of shots.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  14. #14

    Default Re: Dunleavy says that Offense is Better When he is involved

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Brien
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "The load is taken off the Jamaal (Tinsley)."

    Did Jim really say "the Jamaal"?

    Sweet, new nickname.

  15. #15
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,821

    Default Re: Dunleavy says that Offense is Better When he is involved

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcadian View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "When I get in the flow offensively, it's pretty clear we're a good team," O'Neal said. "When I don't, we struggle. Why that happens, I don't know. My approach is the same every night. I think it's pretty clear we're a good team when I can get my hands on the ball."

    Why isn't there the outrage and pages to follow if this was how the quote appeared?

    I like the offense but post play does not equal bad basketball. I don't want to see a donut team out there.
    Well to be honest with you ego did cross my mind when I read that. However, and I'm just guessing here, I bet that Mike was asked this as a question and didn't just make a proclimation.

    But again, I am not ignoring your point. I am a little uncomfortable with any player openly stating that.

    However, Satan'sfan was dead on with his response.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  16. #16
    Hall of Famers FrenchConnection's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,664
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dunleavy says that Offense is Better When he is involved

    I usually hate these types of comments. However, Dunn is a player that has lacked confidence throughout his NBA career so for him to be sticking out his chest a little bit bodes well for us going forward.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Woodside,NY
    Age
    33
    Posts
    281

    Default Re: Dunleavy says that Offense is Better When he is involved

    I don't understand what Dunlevy is trying to say. It's clear Jim O'Brian wants him to score, and Dunlevy now admits he needs the ball to have an impact on this team, why is it then he still comes out every 3rd or 4th game and will go 3-6 from the floor and get 8pts and just never look into the game offensively.

    I don't expect him to score 20 points a game every game and I understand he likes to take good shots but if your going to be one of our top 3 players on the offensive end your going to have to create shots and scoring opportunities for yourself and he has shown when he's looking to score he can do that. He needs to be aggressive.There is no other way around that.

    I looked at his game log this year and he's had 4 games where got no more then 8 attempts and all were losses and most of the time he hovers between 10-12 shots.When he shoots more then 16 times were 6-0. I would like to see him and Granger in the 15-17 range constantly putting pressure on there opponents to guard them. It's shown when we do that we are a tough team to beat.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Dunleavy says that Offense is Better When he is involved

    Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not when Dunleavey takes a lot of shots.
    Wow. I actually went and looked up mediocre. This coming from a man with good is the enemy of great on his sig? We are a team that is going to be fighting for a playoff spot in the East. That is mediocre.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

    "'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

  19. #19
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    12,182

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dunleavy says that Offense is Better When he is involved

    Is it just me or does Wells excel at asking questions to elicit statements that sound brash when taken out of context, then leaving the question out of the subsequent article?

    Seems to me we have gotten into this kind of discussion about at least one player each year since he joined the Star.

    Don't get me wrong, I don't mind someone who can ask those kind of questions, but presenting them as if they were unsolicited statements - particularly when they sound self-serving, which they tend to do - grates on me a bit.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  20. #20

    Lightbulb Re: Dunleavy says that Offense is Better When he is involved

    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The reason I'm not offended or upset that he's saying this is because the team is 5-0 in games he scores 20 or more.

    It's hard to argue with that.
    I agree 100%.

    I don't know why anyone would be upset with his comments.

    No matter if anyone likes it or not Mike is one of our best players. For us to be successful we need him to score, make things happen. We need Jamaal to. We need Danny to. And we need Jermaine to.

    I don't care what Dunleavy's record has been in the past. I don't really care what his stats have been in the past. He has had a real good year for us and it's clear that when he plays well so does this team. It isn't rocket science.

  21. #21
    Member Isaac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    26
    Posts
    3,151

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dunleavy says that Offense is Better When he is involved

    This is a quote Mike never would have said in Golden State. We are seeing a more aggressive Mike on the court and off the court, and I LOVE it.

    He is wrong though, the true telling stat is that the team is 7-0 when I record the games on my DVR.

  22. #22

    Default Re: Dunleavy says that Offense is Better When he is involved

    I really don't have a problem with what Mike said. He should be taking 15 shots a game in this offense.

    I just didn't like seeing JO blamed after a quote like that. Mike has had trouble keeping involved in his entire NBA career. This isn't something new that happen when he started playing with JO.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

    "'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

  23. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,443

    Default Re: Dunleavy says that Offense is Better When he is involved

    Quote Originally Posted by FrenchConnection View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I usually hate these types of comments. However, Dunn is a player that has lacked confidence throughout his NBA career so for him to be sticking out his chest a little bit bodes well for us going forward.

    Dunleavy's problem is that he's always been the type of guy to "Let the game come to him" and nothing else. Now that's great. Nothing wrong with letting the game come to you.

    Problem is that in an 82 game season, the game isn't going to automatically come to you in everyone of them. Sometimes, you've got to grab the game by its horns. The really good players can do this. They can impose their will. I've seen Granger do this a few times, which is a good sign.

    He's got to find ways of asserting himself even when the game is a little bit out of flow and not everything is "coming to him." You can't expect it to come straight to you 82 times a year. Just doesn't work like that.

  24. #24
    Member Reckoner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    76

    Default Re: Dunleavy says that Offense is Better When he is involved

    Quote Originally Posted by FrenchConnection View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I usually hate these types of comments. However, Dunn is a player that has lacked confidence throughout his NBA career so for him to be sticking out his chest a little bit bodes well for us going forward.
    Exactly. He's right too.

  25. #25
    International Counter bellisimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Budapest, Hungary
    Age
    32
    Posts
    9,113

    Default Re: Dunleavy says that Offense is Better When he is involved

    would anyone call this a chicken or egg scenario?

    Is the offense better because DunDun is involved? or does DunDun just benefit when the offense is better due to other factors such as ball movement/etc?

Similar Threads

  1. Dunleavy, Pacers hold off furious Nuggets rally [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-28-2007, 03:20 AM
  2. Would anyone else agree JO does not fit this offense?
    By NapTonius Monk in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 11-13-2007, 02:49 PM
  3. Dunleavy...
    By IndyFan032589 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-10-2007, 06:54 PM
  4. Peja, Dunleavy, etc.
    By LAPacer in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 11-07-2007, 07:48 PM
  5. Dunleavy is Game Time Decision Tonight??
    By andreialta in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-07-2007, 02:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •