Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post Game Thread #16 Pacers beat Portland, back to .500

Default Post Game Thread #16 Pacers beat Portland, back to .500

Strong win, respectable defense, the team is "getting it". I think one of the keys to our turn around has been O'Brien shortening the rotation a bit and playing the starters more minutes.

Default Re: Post Game Thread #16 Pacers beat Portland, back to .500

Quote Originally Posted by Evan_The_Dude View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Strong win, respectable defense, the team is "getting it". I think one of the keys to our turn around has been O'Brien shortening the rotation a bit and playing the starters more minutes.
    I think the key has been no JO.

sweabs

The most fun I've had as a Pacer fan in quite some time.

The Portland Trailblazers are a very good team when they're playing at home as well. This was such a big win. The second game of a back to back, on the road, with the first one in Denver and high altitude.

When the team plays the way it has for the past few games, though, it's just so much better from the fan's perspective. I'm not going to any one thing in particular...but it's a lot of fun.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

We didn't play very well at times, but that was a huge win!

Very winnable game coming up at Seattle. We can end the first month of the season with a winning record.

"Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

I posted this on the Warriorettes forum...

Quote by me: Dunleavy another 20 pt 11 rbd 2as 3 steals in Pacers win over Portland. He's shooting +50%fd +40%3pt +85%line. Why did Mullin trade him.

Not trying to be a troll but they bash him so bad there.... I just feel as though I got to get his back on this. Is this wrong? Should I quit.... I mean Mike D is a big reason why we are winning.

I know its wrong but but but....

Nice win by the Pacers tonight we seem to be weathering these storms now. Danny was great on defense. Foster autographed the glass after the game was over... Diener swept the floor and Rush had no bricks left in his bucket...
    I will give Rush credit he always looks like he's playing hard and 4-10 is not terrible. Harrison picked up a foul boarding the plane. Good night all in all.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

Good win. I don't know how we had the game close after the first half of ball we played. Very good win.
    Pacers!

Warriorettes? Is that like a forum for the female Warrior fans?

Yeah, I don't want to see a post by a Warrior's fan everytime Jackson has a good game.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

In other news I guess Lebron sprained one of his fingers and set out the rest of the game and losing. ESPN was showing stats before and after lebron in that game, and it was pretty bad. No surprise though he is to that team what Kobe used to be for the Lakers (kobe has a slightly better supporting cast).

Starting to show some consistency. . on the back to backs again!!! Great game. Jamaal Tinsley played wicked
    R.I.P. Bernic Mac & Isaac Hayes

DUN DA DUN DA DUN DA DUN DA DUN

agressive. played 37 mins!!

Granger.. good game tonight. expect that from him every game

Foster.. woot woot.. now startin to be a legit center?? hmmh

Big 3 of the pacers rite now

Grange, Dun, Fost
    [SIGPIC]Dun Dun shooting form![/SIGPIC]

I am pissed right now. I setup my DVR to record the game and when I get home I guess I tried to record the wrong feed because it is just a blank feed

I'm very happy that he finally shortened the rotation. I think that has been one of the main reasons the Pacers have done well as of late.

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    I'm very happy that he finally shortened the rotation. I think that has been one of the main reasons the Pacers have done well as of late.
    I agree with the outcome but disagree with the actual thought.

The only reason our rotation has shortened, IMO, is because some of our backups that I think the team was counting on have given us nothing.

We have no backup point guard. That scares the crap out of me.

Even if Jamaal didn't have a history of injury's or illness I just don't see how the guy can go 82 games at around 40 min. a night.

Somehow, someway we have got to find a backup point guard. Quis is a nice idea but just like tonight, he wasn't able to go in the second half because of pain the knee.

Also I have a real problem with the shortened rotation when O'Neal & Diagu eventually return.

Harrison is playing the most consistant ball of his career right now and I don't want to see him go back to DNP-CD's or 5-7 min. a game.

Shawne, Jeff & Troy are going to be struggling for min. as well.

I know everybody is going to say that they will be happy to have Troy be the one sitting and he has had a couple of lousy games. But let's not forget the guy was the catalyst in beating the Mavs. and has had some very key contributions in other games as well.

Shawne has earned some time on the floor and Jeff Foster has never been better.

I just don't see how a shortened rotation is going to work in the long run.

My biggest fear is that we will go back to our complimentry 38 min. a game for J.O. and everybody else will struggle for scraps.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadian View Post
    Yeah, I don't want to see a post by a Warrior's fan everytime Jackson has a good game.
    agreed. in truth, the warriors may have more to brag about. jackson is averaging 22, 6, and 4 in 7 games, and i believe they've gone 6-1 in those games.

the trade helped both teams. why can't we just leave it at that?

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    The only reason our rotation has shortened, IMO, is because some of our backups that I think the team was counting on have given us nothing.

We have no backup point guard. That scares the crap out of me.
    agreed there. diener has been disappointing to say the least. and like everyone else i'm wondering why owens can't get any minutes.

keith mcleod is still out there unemployed. he's not the greatest, but he was a capable backup and sometime starter for us last year. i'm guessing he doesn't want to play for the minimum though, which is probably why he's still unsigned despite several teams hurting at pg.

boykins also is still out there, but he reportedly is looking for mid level money. anyway he's not a good fit.

rcarey-

I'm with ya. I haven't enjoyed watching Pacers b-ball as much as the
    last week or so since either the early season stretch just prior The
    Brawl or right after the suspensions when JT and Fred Joned led that
    undermanned bunch on a 4-5 game win streak.

When all 5 guys on the court are unselfish, can shoot it (well, other
    than Jeff), handle it, pass it and are willing defenders, the game
    of hoops is a beautiful thing.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Eindar View Post
    I think the key has been no JO.

Shhh! Someone may hear you and start a thread defending JO and the beat goes on.

What I liked the best about last night was the Pacers fought, they competed, they really wanted to win the game - you could see that in the last few minutes - or really the whole game.

Another thing that is related to that is this team might not be the most talented team in the league, they often make mistakes - a lot of mistakes in all phases of the game - but I'm starting to see a team that is playing hard for almost the whole game - and I think the biggest reason why they have started winning lately is because they have learned they need to play hard for the whole game - and they seem to be playing harder for longer then they were a few weeks back.

Following this team and rooting for them is different this season - these wild swings within a game are killing me - but I think that is what this team is and is going to be - a lot of 16-5 runs both ways. But at least I have confidence in them that they will find a way to win - unless they are playing a team that is simply better than they are.

Looking at the next two games - a split would be very nice, a sweep would be incredible - but most teams on a 4-6 game road trip play one really bad game - so I sort of expect that maybe Sunday - but we'll see if they are developing some mental toughness.

Overall though I like the physical and mental toughness that I've seen lately. It seems to me that the Pacers are in better physical condition than most other teams. Mentally I also am starting to see some toughness developing (last year they were horrible in this dept).

Foster last night was fantastic - he was all over the court and he is proving once again just how valuable he is

when ike comes back does this make JO expendable? I think it might...and I'm the biggest maine fan there is
    "GIMMIE DAT!"-DANGER

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyPacersLeft View Post
    when ike comes back does this make JO expendable? I think it might...and I'm the biggest maine fan there is
    There aren't a lot of moves out there w/ Jermaine that make us a better team.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyPacersLeft View Post
    I don't think so. If anything I think this game showed us how we miss a strong offensive post threat. It really would take some pressure off our shooters. Too many forced shots against a long and athletic portland team. We also just flat out shot poorly as a team in stretches. I think JO will open up the outside a bit in those possessions where we weren't able to get out and run. The big thing is the guys will have to continue to move and not dump it into him and stand around.

Quote Originally Posted by Rinuven View Post
    I don't think so. If anything I think this game showed us how we miss a strong offensive post threat. It really would take some pressure off our shooters. Too many forced shots against a long and athletic portland team. We also just flat out shot poorly as a team in stretches. I think JO will open up the outside a bit in those possessions where we weren't able to get out and run. The big thing is the guys will have to continue to move and not dump it into him and stand around.
    I really missed him on the defensive end. Harrison played well, and Foster was out of his mind, but I could have lived without Murphy.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Jeff Foster has never been better.
    I just needed to quote that - I agree by the way.

But to your larger point, I also agree, I think O'Brien shortened his rotation not because he wanted to, but because he had no choice really.

No doubt Harrison is playing the most consistant he ever has, but I have my doubts if he can keep it up physically or emotionally - When JO and Ike come back I see David only playing spot minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Oneal07 View Post
    Jamaal Tinsley played wicked
    Only for about the last 5 minutes or so. He hit two out of his last three shots, until then he was 2-13. His assist to TO ratio was also less than 2/1, which is subpar. He came up huge in the end of the game, but up until then he was average or below. It was the worst shot selection I've seen from him this year, and Steve Blake (the quickest PG in the NBA) blew right by him whenever he wanted.

The Pacers won this game because of Granger, Dunleavy, and Foster. All three played very well.

I thought the team played well with Rush on the court.

Murphy looked bad. I think he fits our offensive system, but not the defense. He's much more of a defensive liability than even Dun or Diener.

I agree that back-up PG is our major weakness. Whoever said something about Keith McLeod a couple days back might have been right on.

Oh, and once JO comes back I think we see a lot more of Danny and Shawne at the 2 and 3, a lot less of Tins and Marquis on the floor together, and Harrison and Murphy being used depending on matchups.

The Blazers are my favorite Western team, but I was not terribly impressed with them last night. They've got 3 really good players right now: Roy, Aldridge and Jack. I don't know what it was, but I was not impressed with Outlaw even though he had probably his best game ever. I'm also not really impressed with Webster. I can't put my finger on why I don't like those guys, something about their demeanor just says to me, we're not winning players.

I wonder if Portland would be interested in JO. I doubt it, but they've got the combination of big contracts (La Frentz, Pryzbilla, Miles) and young talent (Jack, Fernandez, Rodriguez, etc) to make a deal possible. If we could get Jack, Fernandez, and big man salary filler...
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Hall of Famers FrenchConnection's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    Only for about the last 5 minutes or so. He hit two out of his last three shots, until then he was 2-13. His assist to TO ratio was also less than 2/1, which is subpar. He came up huge in the end of the game, but up until then he was average or below. It was the worst shot selection I've seen from him this year, and Steve Blake (the quickest PG in the NBA) blew right by him whenever he wanted.

The Pacers won this game because of Granger, Dunleavy, and Foster. All three played very well.

I thought the team played well with Rush on the court.

Murphy looked bad. I think he fits our offensive system, but not the defense. He's much more of a defensive liability than even Dun or Diener.

I agree that back-up PG is our major weakness. Whoever said something about Keith McLeod a couple days back might have been right on.

Oh, and once JO comes back I think we see a lot more of Danny and Shawne at the 2 and 3, a lot less of Tins and Marquis on the floor together, and Harrison and Murphy being used depending on matchups.

The Blazers are my favorite Western team, but I was not terribly impressed with them last night. They've got 3 really good players right now: Roy, Aldridge and Jack. I don't know what it was, but I was not impressed with Outlaw even though he had probably his best game ever. I'm also not really impressed with Webster. I can't put my finger on why I don't like those guys, something about their demeanor just says to me, we're not winning players.

I wonder if Portland would be interested in JO. I doubt it, but they've got the combination of big contracts (La Frentz, Pryzbilla, Miles) and young talent (Jack, Fernandez, Rodriguez, etc) to make a deal possible. If we could get Jack, Fernandez, and big man salary filler...
    I would think that you would have to take Miles in that deal, and Miles is the type of player that this franchise cannot afford to take on at this time.