Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will Foster opt out at years end? (likely)

Default Will Foster opt out at years end? (likely)

I was on Hoopshype and noticed Jeff makes 6.2 next year. He can opt out at seasons end, which I most likely think he will. Maybe not for a big raise but more than likely the security a new long term contract brings. 6.2M is probably about the norm for a guy that puts up his stats in 27 minutes a game. Maybe a little under paid because he plays good-azz defense, plus he's a class act. No one ever questions his loyalty and play on here. Do we sign him long term, do a sign and trade or free up cap space for Ike,Danny and Shawne.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

Sports Logo

Default Re: Will Foster opt out at years end? (likely)

What type of FA rights do we have on him?

If he opts out....is he counted as a RFA where we can match anything he gets?

or

If he opts out...is he a UFA?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Unrestricted because he is no longer under a rookie contract. Pacer management has some thinking to do.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"

Jeff's a free agent in '09.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Jeff's a free agent in '09.
    Hoopshype says 08-09 is a player option which means he can opt out at the end of this season. I found another site that states Foster is signed through 08-09.
    http://www.sportscity.com/NBA/Indiana-Pacers-Salaries

It also shows JO having a player option for his final 2 seasons, which we know is true. So maybe sportscity is a little more accurate.
    Last edited by aceace; 11-28-2007 at 09:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    If he opts out....is he counted as a RFA where we can match anything he gets?

or

If he opts out...is he a UFA?
    All non-rookie contracts end with the player being a UFA. But we do have Bird rights, meaning we can match.

But he doesn't have to choose us if we do.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Man I would hate to lose Jeff Foster. Heres hoping no team is stupid enough (or smart enough depending on how you look at it) to give him an extremely good offer.

Who is Will Foster? Is he any relation to Scott?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

If Foster does go, I hope he ends up with the Spurs. He's been a hell of a player for us.

With Foster having an opt out at the end of the season, was he eligible for an extension before the season started?
    What is he 31 at the end of the season? I have little doubt we'll put an offer on the table as soon as he opts out. I wouldn't be afraid of a 4-5 year. I doubt if he'd start the contract at much more then he'll make this year.

Quote Originally Posted by maragin View Post
    If Foster does go, I hope he ends up with the Spurs. He's been a hell of a player for us.
    I was just going to say I bet you Foster opts out and goes to San Antonio.

It makes too much sense. He is from there or atleast went to college around there, he works out with the Spurs over the summer, we are probably going to not want to pay him much at all even though he is worth it, Jeff wants a chance at a ring I would think, the Spurs can use another big alongside Duncan.

I think Foster is having his best season. And he is invaluable to this team. I am always amused how every year new players come in, new coaches come in every few years and many Pacers fans figure well Jeff won't play as much, someone will beat him out. But it never happens and he's playing as many minutes as ever

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Any team in the league could use a player like Jeff. He put up 11 and 17 tonight. I think we're underestimating how badly off this team would be without JF. He's pure heart and effort every night. I am not willing to give him up, not even to Popovich.
    You Got The Tony!!!!!!

sweabs

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I think Foster is having his best season. And he is invaluable to this team. I am always amused how every year new players come in, new coaches come in every few years and many Pacers fans figure well Jeff won't play as much, someone will beat him out. But it never happens and he's playing as many minutes as ever
    I agree with everything. Especially the part about him being invaluble to this team. He always has been, but with the current system we're employing, it just makes everything work out so well. We have guys who are taking perimeter shots, and Foster just outworks everyone underneath the basket to get those guys second chance opportunities. He is so unselfish, and just willing to do exactly what is expected from him in that role. It's so hard to find guys like that...but he embraces it. I love the guy - it's real hard to find these types. I really hope we can keep him around.

Foster is the perfect fit for Obie's system. He is a better starter at center at center than anyone we have because:

-This is a jumpshooting offense, lots of boards to grab. No one does this better on our team.

-He is a decent passer compared to JO and Murph.

-He doesn't need the ball to be effective

-You can't have 5 guys cutting and spotting up at three.

The only reason he isn't a good starter at Center for Obie is because he is a subpar shotblocker. I think his value is going up (trade value, resigning value, and value to wins for our team)
    Pacers!

I repeat, Foster is not a free agent at the end of the year. He doesn't have an option. Hoopshype is a poor source! Try ESPN, and RealGM.
    Last edited by Will Galen; 11-29-2007 at 02:57 AM.

Foster may be the best garbage player ever, now he has a jump shot but I would want him shooting it at the end with time expiring. I would like him to be under the basket when someone else shoots that shot, he could easily get a win for us this year with an offensive rebound.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.ThunderMakeR View Post
    Man I would hate to lose Jeff Foster. Heres hoping no team is stupid enough (or smart enough depending on how you look at it) to give him an extremely good offer.
    There is no doubt in my mind he will get a big offer from another team. I am willing to bet he will get at least 7-8 million per. I'm not so sure he will opt out next year though...but that's just me being overly optimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    I repeat, Foster is not a free agent at the end of the year. He doesn't have an option. Hoopshype is a poor source! Try ESPN, and RealGM.
    Your right Will...... everybody he's ours for another year.

LA-

Agreed, he's almost the pefect '5' in O'B's system. Too bad O'B didn't come
    along a couple years ago. Hope they hang on to Jeff. But we shall see.

Will Galen, thanks for making this clear. I don't know how you do it, but your posts about salary and contract issues are always the best.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Rajah Brown View Post
    LA-

Agreed, he's almost the pefect '5' in O'B's system. Too bad O'B didn't come
    along a couple years ago. Hope they hang on to Jeff. But we shall see.
    Ditto, plus I think he has emerged as a great vocal team leader, in the absence of our "star" player. He leads by example, on the court. The Energizer Bunny keeps going and going and going!

My only question is his back, dont mean to jinx him, but he has had chronic back issues over the last 2-3 years. I have not heard of word of it this year. Maybe he had the same allergy as Tins did (hint: RC).

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I said this earlier in the year and everybody beat the crap out of me. I might go back and find that thread.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I don't want to lose Foster, and I don't know about the salary issues, but if we think there's a good chance that he's going to leave, we should make the trade that Tbird suggested in the offseason: Foster to San Antonio for Brent Barry. Barry's a good shooter, decent defender, and can play both guard positions. I'd rather have Foster, but Barry would fill some needs for us.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

This board never ceases to amaze me. Less than 4 months ago nearly everyone in here wanted to dump Foster. Now that there is a coach who told him he best take the shot when open, we see that he can score. I wonder this for a long time because he scored in college. The only other one who agreed me me that I remember was UB. Now everyone seems to think he is great. Except JOB last nite said that TM would probably be the starter when JO returns. Now jump on. LOL