Thread: Tinsley thinks he shoots too much.....

Default Tinsley thinks he shoots too much.....

Pacers Tinsley taking over offense?

Indiana Pacers point guard Jamaal Tinsley leads the team in assists. That's not a surprise. Tinsley went into Tuesday's game at Denver second on the team in field goal attempts. That is a surprise. Tinsley said the Pacers coaching staff has encouraged him to be aggressive with the ball. "I'm getting the ball more in transition and I'm able to create for myself more," said Tinsley, who would rather score only 10 points per game in exchange for four more victories. "Teams aren't used to seeing me get so deep in the paint and me looking for my shots." In 10 games, Tinsley has attempted at least 10 shots. He has taken 189 shots this season, second on the team to forward Danny Granger's 195. Tinsley, who is shooting just 39 percent from the field, said he feels he shoots too much at times. He routinely talks to assistant Lester Conner, who played point guard during his career, about his shot selection. -- Indy Star

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Tinsley thinks he shoots too much.....

I alluded to the possibility of Carlisle doing the same thing a few times last season, giving Tins the green light, and even encouragement, to shoot more. Although I think that says more about our other "shooters" on the team than it does Jamaal's shooting ability. We needed shooters during the off-season, and we still need shooters.

Yes he does. But it isn't the pure number of shots he takes, it is the type of shots he gets.

I only want him to shoot 3's when he has to, when the shot clock is winding down, when the ball is moved around first and is passed to him and he's wide open.

Really the same thing for shots outside of about 15ft .

However, especially if he has a smaller point guard defending him, I have no problem with him posting up, using his strength to shot over his smaller defender. Also if the team doesn't have a real good shot-blocker, I have no problem with him shooting his little shots in the lane.

Sports Logo

I 100% agree UB.

I think Jamaal would rather not shoot the ball at all. He seems far more happy to pass than to score.

I love how he got that 3 to put us up 100-92 last night, that was a BIG shot!!! I'm lovin' Tinsley's game this year.

A lot of guards can guard him. He bullied up A. Carter last night.

He also had 11 assists last night also. Man can produce
    R.I.P. Bernic Mac & Isaac Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes he does. But it isn't the pure number of shots he takes, it is the type of shots he gets.

I only want him to shoot 3's when he has to, when the shot clock is winding down, when the ball is moved around first and is passed to him and he's wide open.

Really the same thing for shots outside of about 15ft .

However, especially if he has a smaller point guard defending him, I have no problem with him posting up, using his strength to shot over his smaller defender. Also if the team doesn't have a real good shot-blocker, I have no problem with him shooting his little shots in the lane.
    Yup.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Quote Originally Posted by Gyron View Post
    Pacers Tinsley taking over offense?

Indiana Pacers point guard Jamaal Tinsley leads the team in assists. That's not a surprise. Tinsley went into Tuesday's game at Denver second on the team in field goal attempts. That is a surprise. Tinsley said the Pacers coaching staff has encouraged him to be aggressive with the ball. "I'm getting the ball more in transition and I'm able to create for myself more," said Tinsley, who would rather score only 10 points per game in exchange for four more victories. "Teams aren't used to seeing me get so deep in the paint and me looking for my shots." In 10 games, Tinsley has attempted at least 10 shots. He has taken 189 shots this season, second on the team to forward Danny Granger's 195. He routinely talks to assistant Lester Conner, who played point guard during his career, about his shot selection. -- Indy Star
    i just wish that he had greater expectations for this team, i think we can win more than that.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I love all of the Tins quotes I have heard this season. He seems to have taken over for JO as the mouthpiece of the team to the media. I'm loving it.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Sports Logo

I think that most of us can agree that Tinsley should be a situational shooter.....as in...when the right situation presents itself to Tinsley where he has the "offensive advantage"...like when he is able to bully his way into the post and back his defender down for his shot or he is left absolutely wide open and set for his shot.

But I wonder if this could be a vailed attempt by him at telling the rest of the team to step up on the offensive end ( hint hint to Dunleavy ).

I expect that when we are 100% healthy ( which means JONeal and Ike return ) and players like Dunleavy and ( at times ) Shawne become more aggressive on the offensive end ( instead of being passive ), then Tinsley will have far more scoring options to dish it out to.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Haven't looked at his season stats, but it seems like he's been rebounding better than usual, which is nice.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Haven't looked at his season stats, but it seems like he's been rebounding better than usual, which is nice.
    He is averaging 4 boards a game. Which I think is a one or one and a half boards above his career average.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

I dunno about you guys but his post up play has brought back memories of Mark Jackson - the way he's shooting the treys also resembles just a little bit...

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    He's averaging 4.5 boards per game right now, one more than his career average of 3.5. Somewhat notable though is that he was only averaging 3.3 per until he came up with 17 over the last two games. Since these two games were clear aberrations, I'm not sure we actually get any statistical insight from such a small sample size. Check back January 1 and we'll see.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Quote Originally Posted by bellisimo View Post
    I dunno about you guys but his post up play has brought back memories of Mark Jackson - the way he's shooting the treys also resembles just a little bit...
    His entire game reminds me of Mark Jackson. Of course Tinsley is asked to shoot a whole hell of a lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan_The_Dude View Post
    His entire game reminds me of Mark Jackson. Of course Tinsley is asked to shoot a whole hell of a lot more.
    Very little about Tinsley reminds me of Action Jackson.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

He definitely handles the ball better than Jackson and thus can get to the hole a lot easier than Jackson....

I love Tinsley's game......I love his street style because he's relentless....He doesn't back down from other guards and he has that brashness that I love in a player......

It gets him in trouble sometimes when he tries to force is own offense or tries to force passes but he sees the game like very few PG's do.......I'll take the bad with the good any day with him...