Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30

Thread: JO's mysterious MRI on Friday???

  1. #1
    Member BoomBaby33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    On The Westside
    Posts
    783
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default JO's mysterious MRI on Friday???

    Has anyone heard what actually transpired with the diagnosis on Friday? All we keep hearing is a swollen knee ... blah blah blah. Was it just to drain the fluid or what? It just sucks, like JO or not, not knowing if your going to have the "franchise" player in a game one day to the next.

    The guy has missed 86 games in the last 3 years. Was Jonathon Bender contagious or what?

  2. #2
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,985

    Default Re: JO's mysterious MRI on Friday???

    Quote Originally Posted by BoomBaby33 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Has anyone heard what actually transpired with the diagnosis on Friday? All we keep hearing is a swollen knee ... blah blah blah. Was it just to drain the fluid or what? It just sucks, like JO or not, not knowing if your going to have the "franchise" player in a game one day to the next.

    The guy has missed 86 games in the last 3 years. Was Jonathon Bender contagious or what?
    I think I read somewhere that there was nothing structurally wrong

  3. #3
    Member Erik's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Age
    40
    Posts
    727

    Default Re: JO's mysterious MRI on Friday???

    here's some info........
    By Mark Montieth
    mark.montieth@indystar.com

    Jermaine O'Neal is expected to be back in the lineup when the Indiana Pacers open their four-game Western trip Tuesday in Denver.


    O'Neal has missed the past three games and four overall with knee and calf injuries. An MRI taken Saturday revealed a slight tear in his calf, but the knee was "stable," according to coach Jim O'Brien.
    The Pacers turned in impressive victories over New Orleans and Dallas without O'Neal, and nearly defeated the Cavaliers on Sunday.
    What does that mean to O'Brien?
    "That we can be a pretty good basketball team," he said. "We're missing a very, very important piece of our team. It's given guys like David Harrison a chance to really step forward. It's a matter of him getting his leg healthy and conditioning himself to play at a (high) level."
    O'Brien said there should be no adjustment process when O'Neal returns.
    "Zero," he said. "We have played exactly the way we play, with Jermaine on or off the court. You can take tapes of the games he's played and you wouldn't see any difference whatsoever."
    http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../1088/SPORTS04

  4. #4
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,748

    Default Re: JO's mysterious MRI on Friday???

    Quote Originally Posted by Irk Woodsman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    O'Brien said there should be no adjustment process when O'Neal returns.
    "Zero," he said. "We have played exactly the way we play, with Jermaine on or off the court. You can take tapes of the games he's played and you wouldn't see any difference whatsoever."
    I can already hear the screaming.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  5. #5
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    42
    Posts
    25,572

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: JO's mysterious MRI on Friday???

    This begs the question....does JO'B watch the same game footage as we do?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  6. #6
    You are my Lucifer D-BONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Nirvana
    Posts
    7,188

    Default Re: JO's mysterious MRI on Friday???

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This begs the question....does JO'B watch the same game footage as we do?
    Maybe he's just analyzing it from a strategic POV. Although I'm not sure that wouldn't show differences. But if we're just talking energy, hustle, cohesion-so called intangible or emotional variables-I can't believe he sees no difference.

  7. #7
    Member NorCal_Pacerfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,919

    Default Re: JO's mysterious MRI on Friday???

    86 games. That's a BIG number. So if that stays true, we can expect JO for 2/3 of a season. Oh and how many games has he played at less than 100%? Maybe we can expect a healthy JO for 50% of a season. Is that worth 20 Mil? Hmmm.
    :thepacers
    No Linking to your own site if it sells something.

  8. #8
    Member BoomBaby33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    On The Westside
    Posts
    783
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: JO's mysterious MRI on Friday???

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think I read somewhere that there was nothing structurally wrong
    Thanks Buck and Irk!

    The article says "stable". Whatever that means. I guess you could say the leaning tower of Pisa is stable too in that tone.

    Sounds like it must be just a knee tendinitis thing from all the years and hours of jumping.

    KC, I have to agree with you, there is no way this is the same team with / without JO. What is Obie trying to say? Who knows! In my mind, the offense flows so much more smoother without him slowing / slogging things down. I suppose the you can say you are playing the same way, but the results are clearly different. Granted, the Pacers have their bad times even without him, but thats just basketball - it happens once in a while.

    With Obie's "minor" tirade about defense after the Cavs game, I think thats the only place where he misses JO.

    Man, honestly, I don't think we can get rid of him any sooner.

  9. #9
    Member mb221's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    OC, MD
    Age
    30
    Posts
    301

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: JO's mysterious MRI on Friday???

    A slight tear in his calf? And he's going to play?

  10. #10
    Member BoomBaby33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    On The Westside
    Posts
    783
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: JO's mysterious MRI on Friday???

    Quote Originally Posted by mb221 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A slight tear in his calf? And he's going to play?
    Good point! Never thought of it until you pointed that out. I guess I just read right over that.

    Isn't that what Ike's issue is?

  11. #11
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    42
    Posts
    25,572

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: JO's mysterious MRI on Friday???

    Quote Originally Posted by BoomBaby33 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thanks Buck and Irk!

    The article says "stable". Whatever that means. I guess you could say the leaning tower of Pisa is stable too in that tone.

    Sounds like it must be just a knee tendinitis thing from all the years and hours of jumping.

    KC, I have to agree with you, there is no way this is the same team with / without JO. What is Obie trying to say? Who knows! In my mind, the offense flows so much more smoother without him slowing / slogging things down. I suppose the you can say you are playing the same way, but the results are clearly different. Granted, the Pacers have their bad times even without him, but thats just basketball - it happens once in a while.

    With Obie's "minor" tirade about defense after the Cavs game, I think thats the only place where he misses JO.

    Man, honestly, I don't think we can get rid of him any sooner.
    Thinking about it....I guess that JO'B can be looking at how the team is playing if we were to simply pull Foster and Harrison and insert JONeal in the lineup...as in....if Foster and Harrison can help make this team win...then JONeal ( who is the better player ) should be able to do the same.

    The only flaw in this logic is that Foster and Harrison were focusing less on the offensive end but more on the rebounding/defensive end. Are we going to do the same where JONeal plays more defense, rebounds and takes 10-12 FGA a game ( all within 26 minutes )?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  12. #12
    Member BoomBaby33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    On The Westside
    Posts
    783
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: JO's mysterious MRI on Friday???

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thinking about it....I guess that JO'B can be looking at how the team is playing if we were to simply pull Foster and Harrison and insert JONeal in the lineup...as in....if Foster and Harrison can help make this team win...then JONeal ( who is the better player ) should be able to do the same.

    The only flaw in this logic is that Foster and Harrison were focusing less on the offensive end but more on the rebounding/defensive end. Are we going to do the same where JONeal plays more defense, rebounds and takes 10-12 FGA a game ( all within 26 minutes )?
    I cant back it up with stats, but it seems like at least 50% of the time when JO is in, the ball goes through him as the #1 or #2 option. Hulk and Jeff are like option 3-4-5. Simply put, when JO gets the ball on offense, everybody else stops and watches with very limited cutting. He simply stagnates the offense.

  13. #13
    It Might Be a Soft J JayRedd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    34
    Posts
    12,158

    Default Re: JO's mysterious MRI on Friday???

    Fantastic. Nothing like a torn calf muscle to ring in the holiday cheer.

    Fa La La La La, La La La La
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

    Follow my twitter:

    @8pts9secs


  14. #14
    The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,582

    Default Re: JO's mysterious MRI on Friday???

    Quote Originally Posted by Irk Woodsman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    O'Brien said there should be no adjustment process when O'Neal returns.
    "Zero," he said. "We have played exactly the way we play, with Jermaine on or off the court. You can take tapes of the games he's played and you wouldn't see any difference whatsoever.
    Sounds like jim has been hittin the crackpipe pretty hard lately. I really wonder how or if he kept a straigh face while saying that. Maybe they left the end of that quote off where he just laughs for a solid 5 minutes.

  15. #15
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    42
    Posts
    25,572

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: JO's mysterious MRI on Friday???

    Quote Originally Posted by BoomBaby33 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I cant back it up with stats, but it seems like at least 50% of the time when JO is in, the ball goes through him as the #1 or #2 option. Hulk and Jeff are like option 3-4-5. Simply put, when JO gets the ball on offense, everybody else stops and watches with very limited cutting. He simply stagnates the offense.
    I think that JO'B is thinking that he can take out Harrison or Foster, insert JONeal and "POOF"......everything is the same.

    I too think that JONeal can probably be the 1st or 2nd scoring option IF he is 90%+ healthy and he has some "spring" back in his legs.

    But if he is still recovering and we basically see more of what we have seen from him since the start of the season....then at best....the offense shouldn't flow through him ( a la being the 1st or 2nd scoring opton ) and JONeal should fill the Harrison/Foster role ( as of late ).....which is nothing more then being the Big Man that can rebound, provide interior defense and be a 3rd through 5th scoring option ( which is basically what did in the few wins that we had with him in the lineup ). IMHO.....a injured JONeal that does not have any "spring" in his legs is more of a hinderance on the team then a 100% Harrison that is healthy and foul-prone.
    Last edited by CableKC; 11-27-2007 at 01:10 AM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  16. #16
    Never Give Up aero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    2,343
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: JO's mysterious MRI on Friday???

    If JO starts Tuesday i think the team chemistry will be screwed up. The team has somewhat started to get used to him not being on the court...its gonna take a few games to get adjusted too

    Call me crazy but it seems like the team plays somewhat better when JO isnt play...
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

  17. #17
    when will he ever learn? underwave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Seoul, South Korea
    Age
    27
    Posts
    159

    Default Re: JO's mysterious MRI on Friday???

    i hope he gets better soon. but it seems as though i said this word for all last 3 seasons. if he keeps whimpering due to his injury we better look for a trade. will he get any better if JO take this season off and work on his injuries?

  18. #18
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,638

    Default Re: JO's mysterious MRI on Friday???

    "Zero," (O'Brien) said. "We have played exactly the way we play, with Jermaine on or off the court. You can take tapes of the games he's played and you wouldn't see any difference whatsoever."
    When I say it it's because I'm just a big JO defender. Is it better when the coach agrees with me, the coach everyone loves? Well...not according to Don, he just implies that JOB is lying or on drugs. Yeah because the anti-JO crowd knows the coach's plan better than the coach himself. That DOES make sense when you say it out loud.

    The fact is that JOB likes to work the post to set up other plays, just like every other NBA coach. JO is the best player the team has to work out of the post and his assist numbers bear that out.

    What sucks isn't JO's return, what sucks is JO being hurt. I love how people will say "let's give Tins a chance in a good system" or "let's get a coach who will use player X the right way", but somehow that doesn't apply with JO. Why is it so many people don't want to see the star player (that plenty of outside neutral viewers have been impressed by) playing at his best with the new coach/system and with better teammates?

    Honestly I think some of you subconsciously want JO to fail just because you've decided you don't like him for whatever reason. As much as I might complain about players, ultimately I want them all to reach their best as a Pacer. I don't want Troy or Diener or Rush to struggle, I want them all to be great success stories that I never saw coming. Shouldn't we want the same from JO?

    As for his Bender status I refer you to one Jamaal Tinsley. What, he's suddenly the paradigm of health? Sure, all it took was for him to be healthy again. It happens, guys have injuries and then they don't. Not every player that gets injured a couple of times is forever going to be injury prone. Even Grant Hill is playing plenty now. So while it could be that JO will "never be right again", it also could be that JO will be an all-star next season too, or even a playoff star this year.

  19. #19
    Member NPFII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Israel
    Age
    40
    Posts
    467

    Default Re: JO's mysterious MRI on Friday???

    The worse thing about JO being injured is that it lowers his trade value.

    It's pretty hard to trade a $20M injury...

    We need JO to do well so we can trade him so this team will have a future, cause the present pretty much sucks with or without him.

  20. #20
    Member OnlyPacersLeft's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Age
    94
    Posts
    3,098

    Default Re: JO's mysterious MRI on Friday???

    wait a tear in his calf? isn't this the same injury Ike has? 4-6 weeks?
    Uhg i hope not
    "GIMMIE DAT!"-DANGER

  21. #21

    Default Re: JO's mysterious MRI on Friday???

    I apologize if this was posted somewhere else, but I thought the plan was keeping players on the bench until they were completely ready. Muscle tear doesn't sound "ready" to me.

    I think many of us may be rushing to judgement if JO is a solid fit in this type of play. I think he can, as can be shown by his assist outputs thus far. But he looks like he's hurting most of the time.

  22. #22
    The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,582

    Default Re: JO's mysterious MRI on Friday???

    Seth you took my post wayyy to seriously, I don't mind JO being on the team just as much as the most avid JO fan. I'd like for Jermaine to work out in this system but so far I don't see it happening, I forgot though he's been hurt so continuing to play him hurt would be our best option. Even the JO fans on these forums have been a little annoyed with his injuries. I just can't see how there will be zero adjustment to a guy who has only been here about half the games this season, said himself he needs to get into "o'brian shape", has a torn calf muscle and magically we'll notice no difference .

    I'm sorry though if O'Brian says it's so it must be so. I see this more as a vote of confidence and wishful thinking more than anything else, I don't expect him to say "well it will be sort of an inconvenience when the team is still learning the system and your supposed best player is in and out of the lineup, but what the hell lets play him hurt." I can wake up and think i'm going to win the lottery today too but it doesn't mean it's going to happen.

    Jermaine very well could get better and start playing crazy good basketball and I really hope that's the case, but he won't come back to the Denver game and mesh into the system without us as fans noticing a difference. If you beleive that I've got a bridge i'd like to sell you.

  23. #23
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,748

    Default Re: JO's mysterious MRI on Friday???

    Quote Originally Posted by Rinuven View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I apologize if this was posted somewhere else, but I thought the plan was keeping players on the bench until they were completely ready. Muscle tear doesn't sound "ready" to me.

    I think many of us may be rushing to judgement if JO is a solid fit in this type of play. I think he can, as can be shown by his assist outputs thus far. But he looks like he's hurting most of the time.
    That's where I'm at as well. Clearly his offense hasn't looked good, but I'm not ready to chalk it up to "he's washed up."

    Somebody clarify for me... it sounds like the muscle tear was existing and they found it while doing an MRI on the knee... i.e. he's been playing with a tear in his calf for a while now.

    Is that accurate?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  24. #24
    Member naptownmenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    4,655

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: JO's mysterious MRI on Friday???

    JO at 100% is a great player. JO at 90% or less... not so great.

    I'd rather they just wait until he's really healthy and go with the guys they have in the hopes that JO will at some point be 100% healthy.

    Isn't having JO 100% healthy worth it?
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

  25. #25
    J.O. To The T.O. Oneal07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,459

    Default Re: JO's mysterious MRI on Friday???

    Slight tear is not that bad. . .once your warm up, you won't even notice it. That's why you wear padding around it. I still think, if he's going to play he would be a facilitator until he gets 100%
    R.I.P. Bernic Mac & Isaac Hayes

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •