View Poll Results: Is Lebron the best in the NBA?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    27 35.53%
  • No

    38 50.00%
  • Who's Lebron?

    4 5.26%
  • What's the NBA?

    7 9.21%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 67

Thread: Is LeBron the best player in the NBA right now?

  1. #26

    Default Re: Is LeBron the best player in the NBA right now?

    Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't follow the Lakers much but from what I hear from Laker fans, Kobe isn't an elite stopper either.

    He CAN be but according to them he only really exerts himself on defense for brief periods during a game or if he's playing against someone and the matchup interests him.

    Feel free to disagree with this - it's pretty much hearsay from forums and boards and a brother-in-law.
    I don't think Kobe is an elite stopper, either, I just said LeBron has the skill and size to be one.

    As for Kobe's defense, it's ranges from pretty good to great, depending on his intensity. The thing we have to remember is that it's impossible to play at that high a level of offense and play all out defense at the same time. It just drains you too much. People seem to forget that Jordan eased off on defense when he had to take over the scoring load. Pippen was the primary stopper on that team.

    Kobe CAN be a great defender when he asserts himself, but it's nearly impossible to ask someone to be the best perimeter offensive and defensive player. When he goes full tilt he's better than someone like Raja Bell who only has to worry about threes and defense.

  2. #27
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,299
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is LeBron the best player in the NBA right now?

    Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...but it's nearly impossible to ask someone to be the best perimeter offensive and defensive player...
    But that's exactly what Michael Jordan was. He was the best player offensively, and the best perimiter defender. Kobe is not quite at that level, but he's as close as there is in the NBA right now, and he's closer to it than LeBron. LeBron needs to get his free throws up to a respectable percentage, and begin to play defense. When he does, it will be all over for everyone else.

  3. #28
    Member Moses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Athens, GA
    Posts
    3,565

    Default Re: Is LeBron the best player in the NBA right now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think to fully appreciate James you need to see him in person and up close.
    Funny story. I was in Florida (Orlando) in 2006 when the Cavs were playing the Magic and the Cavs happened to be staying at the some hotel we were at. My stepmom was in the elevator with LeBron and Hughes and one of them was cursing up a storm and she told him that his mom would not appreciate him using that type of language. She had no idea who they were either until I told her that the Cavs were staying at our hotel. I saw Lebron later that day in the lobby and he is very big in person. He seemed to be a foot taller then me and I'm 6'2.

  4. #29
    It Might Be a Soft J JayRedd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    34
    Posts
    12,158

    Default Re: Is LeBron the best player in the NBA right now?

    Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't follow the Lakers much but from what I hear from Laker fans, Kobe isn't an elite stopper either.

    He CAN be but according to them he only really exerts himself on defense for brief periods during a game or if he's playing against someone and the matchup interests him.
    Such as the last three minutes of almost every game he's played in?

    I mean, c'mon, let's not act like MJ was playing Bruce Bowen-intensity defense for 40 minutes per night either. Especially not in his 13th season in the League. That's just revisionist history if you think he did.

    Just like Kobe, Michael would "get up" for premier match-ups against guys like Drexler, GP, Reggie, Magic, and Bird (and also apparently for guys like Bryon Russell and Craig Ehlo) more so than random Bucks SG #4 or whatever. More importantly, Kobe always rachets it up for the playoffs like MJ and all the other All-Time defensive greats do (Game 7 against Phoenix two years ago notwithstanding). And he's certainly running way above the red line with a defensive talent that few to ever play the game have ever been capable of on every important possession.

    Getting back to night-in, night-out/possession-to-possession...Kobe puts up a pretty high level of defensive intensity, IMO. Maybe he has been a little sluggish over the past year or two due to what's been going on and the fact that he's in his 13th year...but career-wise, he's put in at least as much concsistent effort as almost any dominant #1 offensive option who has the ball in his hands on 50% of his team's possessions.

    So, yes, Kobe can rightfully be dogged for many things...I just don't think defensive effort is one.

    Is he KG every night? No, he's not...but who is?

    Is he MJ, GP, Pippen, JKidd, Worthy, Dumars, Mo Cheeks or Clyde Frazier on an every possession basis? No, he's not quite there intensity-wise either.

    But, IMO, he's way more consistent with his effort on the defensive end than other Hall of Famers like Drexler, Reggie, Magic, Bird, AI, Nique, Dr. J and DWade. And he's unquestionably better and more intense than LeBron...as well as like 80% of all the other perimeter players (who don't have his offensive responsibilities) that have ever stepped on the court.

    Quote Originally Posted by edc View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    wade was only good when he got a healthy shaq.
    No offense, but I think that statement is completely absurd.
    Last edited by JayRedd; 11-26-2007 at 02:46 PM.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

    Follow my twitter:

    @8pts9secs


  5. #30

    Default Re: Is LeBron the best player in the NBA right now?

    Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But that's exactly what Michael Jordan was. He was the best player offensively, and the best perimiter defender. Kobe is not quite at that level, but he's as close as there is in the NBA right now, and he's closer to it than LeBron. LeBron needs to get his free throws up to a respectable percentage, and begin to play defense. When he does, it will be all over for everyone else.
    I think Jay Redd answered this better than I ever could. Scottie was the best every-play defender on those Bulls teams.

    I agree about the free throws. I can't imagine it's the pressure that makes him miss, so is it his form? I'm not a basketball coach so I can't say. Anyone see anything particularly awful in his free throw shot?

  6. #31
    streets ahead
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    DC
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,754

    Default Re: Is LeBron the best player in the NBA right now?

    Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Such as the last three minutes of almost every game he's played in?

    I mean, c'mon, let's not act like MJ was playing Bruce Bowen-intensity defense for 40 minutes per night either. Especially not in his 13th season in the League. That's just revisionist history if you think he did.

    Just like Kobe, Michael would "get up" for premier match-ups against guys like Drexler, GP, Reggie, Magic, and Bird (and also apparently for guys like Bryon Russell and Craig Ehlo) more so than random Bucks SG #4 or whatever. More importantly, Kobe always rachets it up for the playoffs like MJ and all the other All-Time defensive greats do (Game 7 against Phoenix two years ago notwithstanding). And he's certainly running way above the red line with a defensive talent that few to ever play the game have ever been capable of on every important possession.

    Getting back to night-in, night-out/possession-to-possession...Kobe puts up a pretty high level of defensive intensity, IMO. Maybe he has been a little sluggish over the past year or two due to what's been going on and the fact that he's in his 13th year...but career-wise, he's put in at least as much concsistent effort as almost any dominant #1 offensive option who has the ball in his hands on 50% of his team's possessions.

    So, yes, Kobe can rightfully be dogged for many things...I just don't think defensive effort is one.

    Is he KG every night? No, he's not...but who is?

    Is he MJ, GP, Pippen, JKidd, Worthy, Dumars, Mo Cheeks or Clyde Frazier on an every possession basis? No, he's not quite there intensity-wise either.

    But, IMO, he's way more consistent with his effort on the defensive end than other Hall of Famers like Drexler, Reggie, Magic, Bird, AI, Nique, Dr. J and DWade. And he's unquestionably better and more intense than LeBron...as well as like 80% of all the other perimeter players (who don't have his offensive responsibilities) that have ever stepped on the court.
    absolutely right about MJ/Kobe/etc.



    No offense, but I think that statement is completely absurd.
    i don't agree with what was said. wade is definitely great with or without shaq. but i disagree that you place him ahead of lebron. maybe it comes down to preference, i dunno...
    This is the darkest timeline.

  7. #32
    You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    honolulu
    Age
    26
    Posts
    7,877
    Mood

    Default Re: Is LeBron the best player in the NBA right now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did you watch the pistons series last year???? was it game 5 maybe? dude ended up with 47 points or some more than half of them in the 4th qaurter, scoring at will every single time he came down the court to win in overtime.

    my memory is hazy on the details, i think it was overtime, but I know he was the only cav scoring at the time, scored like 20 straight points. How can you say the guy aint clutch?
    Yeah, I did watch the game where he scored all but a couple of their points for the last fifteen minutes of the game. I also watched the Pistons play some of the sloppiest and least attentive defense I've ever watched. He was on fire that day and was making some shots he never had in previous years. Only two or three of his shots were contested. At that point, I was convinced (and later saddened when the only tv sports figure who agreed with me was Skip Bayless) that the Pistons and David Stern were in cohoots (alliance?) to get Lebron to the Finals . And like Wade before him Lebron got every call. For Christ's sake, the last play ended up with Lebron getting a WIDE OPEN LAYUP. When it's the Pistons' defense, that's ****ed up dawg. The Pistons sucked so bad that series.

    To answer your question, I could say the guy ain't clutch by looking at the play by play of the Pacers' last game and seeing that he missed two free throws that gave the Pacers the chance to tie with a three. Right Now, Kobe would smoke him on both ends of the floor. He's too experienced on the defensive end and has too much shot on the offensive end. I will admit that I like Kobe more than Lebron, though I do believe that Kobe is the better basketball player.
    You Got The Tony!!!!!!

  8. #33
    Member BoomBaby31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles (Marina del Rey)
    Posts
    1,958

    Default Re: Is LeBron the best player in the NBA right now?

    Absolutely not, Kobe is so far ahead of Lebron it's pathetic. Is Lebron the most shoved into your face superstar in NBA history YES! If Lebron played like Kobe (on both sides of the ball), the media would make you think Jesus has came back to earth and Easter would now be on December 30th. Kobe doesn't' even get the credit he deserves, a majority of people don't watch him everynight so they don't get to see him or his highlights because Espn hates him. Defensively Kobe is near best in the league, he blocked Timmy and Yao (twice) on back to back nights, and that isn't even a smidgen of what he has done lately. Kobes defense is simply amazing this year, it has elevated so much, even more then the past. I personally have never seen a player do watch kobe does on both sides of the ball consistently everynight. Lebron is just a notch above Melo, Tracy, Vince and way below Kobe and Tim Duncan.
    Last edited by BoomBaby31; 11-26-2007 at 05:47 PM.

  9. #34
    Member #31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    1,811

    Default Re: Is LeBron the best player in the NBA right now?

    Kobe Bryant

    This season:
    2.0 spg
    0.8 bpg

    Career:
    1.5 spg
    0.6 bpg

    Lebron James

    This season:
    2.1 spg
    1.6 bpg

    Career:
    1.8 spg
    0.7 bpg

    And Lebron is having a career season, his offense is better, his passing and rebounding is better, his shooting is better and especially his DEFENSE is much better than ever! You should try watch some more of him people.... He did some crazy defensive stops this season, you should have seen him against Utah for example, when he humiliated Boozer with a nasty block, what should have been the game winning basket.

    Come on you Lebron haters... find something else

    Like Danny Granger said something like "Lebron is the only guy i ever played against, that seemed to be engineered to play basketball". Lebron is perfected... only thing you can "hate" about him is his free throw shooting.
    Last edited by #31; 11-26-2007 at 06:14 PM.

  10. #35
    It Might Be a Soft J JayRedd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    34
    Posts
    12,158

    Default Re: Is LeBron the best player in the NBA right now?

    Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i don't agree with what was said. wade is definitely great with or without shaq. but i disagree that you place him ahead of lebron. maybe it comes down to preference, i dunno...
    I think I said it wrong.

    I don't put anyone but Kobe ahead of LeBron...not even Timmy or Wade.

    I just can't put LeBron above either of those two either.

    LeBron's got more tools than Dwyane (who I don't think will ever be much better than 30% - 32% from three) and he also seems better suited physically for a ridiculous, Mailman-like 20-year run of dominance, so I'm leaning towards the fact that future JayRedd will judge LeBron to be the better player someday...

    But right now?

    It's really hard for me to say either one is better than the other guy right now (Wade's injury recovery of course factored in). Like I say, I'm sure time will tell, but as of today, I usually tend to think whichever guy I'm watching play is better of the two...until I watch the other one play and change opinions again.

    Right now, it's sorta like how I am with Bird and Magic.

    If I'm watching Larry Bird: A Basketball Legend, a mid-80s Celtic Playoff game or Johnny Most yell about "underneath to DJ" on ESPN Classic, I don't only think Bird's better than Magic...he's better than everyone but MJ.

    But if I'm watching Showtime smack around a hobbled Zeke, Magic start at center or drop a running skyhook game-winner...than I start to admit Magic might conceivably be better (although begrudingly and it never lasts as long).

    Currently, I lean ever-so-slighly towards DWade, but I'm also biased (share the same last name and thus started following him pretty early at Marquette cause I thought it was neat) and I enjoy watching Dwyane's style of play better (more analogies...it sorta reminds me of Van Damme vs Seagal: one is all quick and slick and runs around beating the **** outta you all gracefully and the other guy just utterly destroys you without any questions, fanfare or chance you survive. I was a Van Damme guy, but I also stand in awe of the way LeBron can just put a cue ball in a napkin and kill you with one shot to the head like he did to Detroit last year).

    But really, to me it's

    Tier 1
    Kobe

    Tier 2
    Timmy
    LeBron
    Dwyane

    Tier 3
    KG
    Nash

    Then comes the rest.
    Last edited by JayRedd; 11-26-2007 at 06:37 PM.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

    Follow my twitter:

    @8pts9secs


  11. #36
    streets ahead
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    DC
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,754

    Default Re: Is LeBron the best player in the NBA right now?

    okay, i see what you're saying now. i thought you were being more definitive about putting lebron below dwade. i'd mostly agree with your list, except move dwade down mainly because of the limitations to his game you mentioned as well as my insane hatred of the name dwyane (and various other spellings).
    This is the darkest timeline.

  12. #37

    Default Re: Is LeBron the best player in the NBA right now?

    Quote Originally Posted by BoomBaby31 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Absolutely not, Kobe is so far ahead of Lebron it's pathetic. ... Kobe doesn't' even get the credit he deserves, a majority of people don't watch him everynight so they don't get to see him or his highlights ...
    I watch almost all of the Lakers games and wince everytime he steps on the court and they say he is the best player in the NBA. Kobe is the best individual scorer, but he is not so far ahead of Lebron it's pathetic. They are close and its pathetic the chemistry that Kobe creates in a team game.
    Pacers!

  13. #38

    Default Re: Is LeBron the best player in the NBA right now?

    We also need to remember that there are no style points in basketball. Kobe's twenty foot fade-away with three guys hanging on him is worth the same two points as LeBron's driving lay-up.

    Just because Kobe makes it look harder does not mean he's a better player.

  14. #39
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,751

    Default Re: Is LeBron the best player in the NBA right now?

    Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We also need to remember that there are no style points in basketball. Kobe's twenty foot fade-away with three guys hanging on him is worth the same two points as LeBron's driving lay-up.

    Just because Kobe makes it look harder does not mean he's a better player.
    I'd say Kobe makes it look easy. Kobe makes me believe that I can hit a shot over anyone in the league while they have a hand in my face.

  15. #40
    You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    honolulu
    Age
    26
    Posts
    7,877
    Mood

    Default Re: Is LeBron the best player in the NBA right now?

    Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We also need to remember that there are no style points in basketball. Kobe's twenty foot fade-away with three guys hanging on him is worth the same two points as LeBron's driving lay-up.

    Just because Kobe makes it look harder does not mean he's a better player.
    Why would you try to make this point? It obviously takes more offensive skills and ability to do the former than the latter. You're actually making more of a case for Kobe.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by #31
    Kobe Bryant

    This season:
    2.0 spg
    0.8 bpg

    Career:
    1.5 spg
    0.6 bpg

    Lebron James

    This season:
    2.1 spg
    1.6 bpg

    Career:
    1.8 spg
    0.7 bpg


    Lebron is a small forward. Kobe is a shooting guard.

    Last edited by AesopRockOn; 11-27-2007 at 12:11 AM.
    You Got The Tony!!!!!!

  16. #41

    Default Re: Is LeBron the best player in the NBA right now?

    Quote Originally Posted by AesopRockOn View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why would you try to make this point? It obviously takes more offensive skills and ability to do the former than the latter. You're actually making more of a case for Kobe.
    I don't think so. Physically dominating a game is more impressive to me than circus-like jump shots, and more indicative of greatness in a basketball player.

  17. #42
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    238

    Default Re: Is LeBron the best player in the NBA right now?

    Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No offense, but I think that statement is completely absurd.
    Lets just see if wade can carry the heat with their current lineup.

    if you compare kobe, wade and lebron......the latter is more team basketball than the two...

    So the advantage right now is Lebron.....

    From Scoop Jackson.......THE MEANING of LeBron......

    It means he can say to Dwyane Wade, "I got there without Shaq."

  18. #43

    Default Re: Is LeBron the best player in the NBA right now?

    Before we go around tossing Wade off the cliff it's important to remember that if he had a healthy shoulder last year, the ECF is probably Heat-Cavs. The year before he got Shaq he pulled the Heat into the second round of the playoffs as a rookie and took two games off of a pretty great Pacers team.

    A healthy Wade is maybe the most dangerous single player in the game. I don't think he'll ever put up the monstrous numbers that LeBron will, but he can single-handedly crush a team by himself (I specifically remember a regular season game when the Pacers were up by about five in the final minutes and Wade scored something like 8 points in a row on unreal layups and dunks).

  19. #44

    Default Re: Is LeBron the best player in the NBA right now?

    Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Before we go around tossing Wade off the cliff it's important to remember that if he had a healthy shoulder last year, the ECF is probably Heat-Cavs. The year before he got Shaq he pulled the Heat into the second round of the playoffs as a rookie and took two games off of a pretty great Pacers team.

    A healthy Wade is maybe the most dangerous single player in the game. I don't think he'll ever put up the monstrous numbers that LeBron will, but he can single-handedly crush a team by himself (I specifically remember a regular season game when the Pacers were up by about five in the final minutes and Wade scored something like 8 points in a row on unreal layups and dunks).
    I agree with all your posts on this thread 100%
    Pacers!

  20. #45
    It Might Be a Soft J JayRedd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    34
    Posts
    12,158

    Default Re: Is LeBron the best player in the NBA right now?

    Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Before we go around tossing Wade off the cliff it's important to remember that if he had a healthy shoulder last year, the ECF is probably Heat-Cavs. The year before he got Shaq he pulled the Heat into the second round of the playoffs as a rookie and took two games off of a pretty great Pacers team.

    A healthy Wade is maybe the most dangerous single player in the game. I don't think he'll ever put up the monstrous numbers that LeBron will, but he can single-handedly crush a team by himself (I specifically remember a regular season game when the Pacers were up by about five in the final minutes and Wade scored something like 8 points in a row on unreal layups and dunks).
    Yeah...and let's not forget that the Heat had a 3-2 lead on Detroit in the 2005 ECF before Dwyane messed up his ribs and had to sit out Game 6 and hobble through Game 7. The Heat lost Game 1 (their first loss of the Playoffs), but had just won three out of the last four games and clearly had momentum going back to Miami for the final two, and needing only one game to win.

    And Dwyane had been pretty great in this series so far.

    In Game 2, he dropped 40 pts (15 for 28 FGs/10 for 10 FTs), 8 boards, 6 dimes, 2 blks and 1 stl.

    In Game 3, he dropped 36 (12 for 21 FGs/12 for 18 FTs), 7 boards, 2 dimes and 1 blk.

    And yes, Dwyane played 43 mins in Game 7, but was clearly not himself, and as I recall, the Pistons controlled the game from the tip.

    There is no doubt in my mind that if Wade wasn't knocked out during the third quarter of Game 5 that Miami would have made the Finals (probably lost to SA like Detroit did...but still). Miami was 11-2 in the Playoffs so far that year before losing the final two games to Detroit in Miami.

    Overall, Wade averaged 27.4 ppg, 6.6 apg and 5.7 rpg in the 2005 Playoffs. He dropped 42 pts (13 for 22 FGs/16 for 17 FTs) in the close-out game against Washington (which Shaq sat out) and 32/8/5 (12 for 18 FGs/8 for 9 FTs) in the close-out game against NJ.

    He also had other games of 31/15/7, 34/9/4, 31/9/6 in the first two rounds as well.

    IMO, he had an even better postseason in 2005 than he did when they won the title in 2006.

    I mean c'mon...the guy is the definition of an NBA Playoff basketball gamer.

    And as for expecting him to lead a broke-down Shaq and Jason Williams to the promised land this season if he's really that good...aint no one in the world that could carry that **** show of a roster past the 1st Round. Udonis Haslem is the 2nd best player on that team nowadays. They make the Pacers look talent-laden. Can't blame that on Flash.
    Last edited by JayRedd; 11-27-2007 at 12:57 PM.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

    Follow my twitter:

    @8pts9secs


  21. #46
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,628

    Default Re: Is LeBron the best player in the NBA right now?

    Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How is Wade still in this conversation?

    IMO, it's between four guys:

    Steve Nash (the team guy/quintessential PG)
    Tim Duncan (the big guy with the rings)
    Kobe Bryant (the scorer with the killer instinct)
    LeBron James (the 22 year old with the most talent)

    I think that LeBron has become the best player in the league at this point. And it has nothing with his stats. He's dialed up his defense and he's pretty much willing the Cavs to victory every game he can. They should be nowhere near .500 this year and they wouldn't be if you replaced him with any other player in this league except for arguably the aforementioned players.

    And let's not let this one slip up today at the FT cloud our judgment about his abilities in the clutch. When LeBron kicks it into another gear at the end of games, no one is stopping him.
    I agree with your 4, and almost with Lebron. I like him as an all-around player more than Kobe. Kobe looks great when he's on, but need I remind everyone how Kobe got TORCHED at home last year by 2 different SGs (Redd and...forget the other) that led to the Lakers losing both games. Regular season or not, that hurt them in the standings and led to drama late in the year to just stay in the playoffs. And of course Kobe has those horrible shooting nights that get swept aside in the discussion. He can get red hot, but he's more streaky than people admit and when he's off he doesn't impact the team nearly as much as the other 3. I'm willing to admit that when he's on you really just can't stop him at all.

    But Nash and Duncan. Duncan is a monster inside and simply defers to teammates when he's not needed. It feels like he can have an impact at any time he wants, and the rings back that. And Nash. Just look at his scoring. He creates offense every single trip. He can drop the hammer at a very high rate, yet also drive and pass like no other. On offense Nash has James beat still.

    I thought James was the best all-around player at the WBC and Olympics however.


    BTW, KG should be getting more mention too. The Celtics are currently playing great defense. Do you attribute that most to Paul Pierce, Ray Allen or KG? No doubt that KG has 2 other very talented players with him but still...of those 3 which one would they miss the most? Ray or Paul with KG is still a top team, Ray and Paul alone might struggle to make the playoffs.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 11-27-2007 at 03:48 PM.

  22. #47
    Release Psycho T pwee31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    7,171

    Default Re: Is LeBron the best player in the NBA right now?

    Whomever gets the most calls that leads to victory for his team is usually the best player b/c he has 3 "neutral" court members helping him and his team.

    Judging by the results of the season last year, I would say Lebron or Duncan were the best players in the NBA.

    This year it's early, but I'd say Lebron and Kobe are the frontrunners

  23. #48

    Default Re: Is LeBron the best player in the NBA right now?

    Lebron, Nash, Duncan, Kobe, and KG are the top tier. I'm not sure who is the best yet so I voted no.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

    "'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

  24. #49
    You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    honolulu
    Age
    26
    Posts
    7,877
    Mood

    Default Re: Is LeBron the best player in the NBA right now?

    Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think so. Physically dominating a game is more impressive to me than circus-like jump shots, and more indicative of greatness in a basketball player.
    I take it you don't think that Michael Jordan is the best basketball player ever?
    You Got The Tony!!!!!!

  25. #50
    Member BoomBaby31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles (Marina del Rey)
    Posts
    1,958

    Default Re: Is LeBron the best player in the NBA right now?

    Quote Originally Posted by LAPacer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I watch almost all of the Lakers games and wince everytime he steps on the court and they say he is the best player in the NBA. Kobe is the best individual scorer, but he is not so far ahead of Lebron it's pathetic. They are close and its pathetic the chemistry that Kobe creates in a team game.
    Why would you wince everytime he steps on the court? Because you don't like the guy, like the rest of the media or it's his game? The Lakers chemistry has been good this season. Last two years, they didn't have a PG and seemed like no one can score. Kobe'd drive the lane kick it out to Smoosh for a wide open 12footer and smoosh would hit the front of the rim.

Similar Threads

  1. The Utah Metric: How valuable is player X?
    By kester99 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 11-24-2007, 05:33 PM
  2. Hollinger's "All Break Out" and "All-Decline" Teams
    By JayRedd in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-15-2007, 02:17 PM
  3. Granger = EC Player of the Week
    By Mr.ThunderMakeR in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 11-06-2007, 12:45 PM
  4. We have one 3-dimensional player.
    By McKeyFan in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-05-2007, 11:04 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •