View Poll Results: Is Lebron the best in the NBA?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

27 35.53%
  • No

38 50.00%
  • Who's Lebron?

4 5.26%
  • What's the NBA?

7 9.21%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is LeBron the best player in the NBA right now?

Question Is LeBron the best player in the NBA right now?

I know Duncan and Nash are more valuable to their teams and styles, but I think LeBron is playing the best pure basketball on the planet right now. If you're looking for someone to completely take over a game and dominate it, I don't think there's anyone better than him.

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

Default Re: Is LeBron the best player in the NBA right now?

until he learns to make his FTs down the line - I'm going to have to say no.

Kobe > LeBron

Can't put him ahead of Kobe, Timmy or Dwyane yet.

Yet is probably the key word in all this though. He's got the highest ceiling of anyone I've ever seen touch a basketball and I think he'll probably shatter that even.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He's the most talented player in the NBA. And he's damn close to becoming the best.

Next stop June 2015

He will be the best player in the NBA when he passes Kobe which might be soon.

Without further thought... it has to be LEBRON! I am talking about talent, i am talking about skills and little of everything else. He is just a freak, totally ridicilous... never seen anything like this!

Any guy who make their teammates better and are capable of averaging a tripple double for a season always gets my vote... Oscar Robertson, Magic Johnson, Jason Kidd (sux at scoring tho) and maybe Michael Jordan and now Lebron James.

And oh yeah, he now averages:

31.3 ppg
    8.1 apg
    8.3 rpg
    2.1 spg
    1.6 bpg

50% FG
    37% 3PT
    70% FT

Already 4 tripple doubles this season and other times 1-2 rebound/assist shy.
    Makes his team so much better, took his team because of this to the Finals.
    Only 22 years old and only gets better.

Its obvious, after 15 or so years... we will be saying "Who will be the next Lebron James!?" or "Oh man! Those numbers were so Lebronesque!".

And please dont give me that "But he doesnt have a ring" thing, championship i strongly believe is a team achievement and a simple individual cant do it all by himself, Kobe had Shaq & Co, Wade had Shaq & Co, Lebron has.... Ilgauskas... If this what i say is bull**** then Robert Horry must be the best player in the league and probably the best player ever, he does have 7 rings?
    Last edited by #31; 11-25-2007 at 09:43 PM.

I'm saying yes. Been holding off in favor of Kobe for a while now but last season Lebron did something Kobe hasn't - taken a team with a mediocre supporting cast to the finals.

Yeah, it was in the East but they still had to go through Detroit.

But if I had to pick one guy to try to win a championship with right now it would be Duncan.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

We have to remember that LeBron is only 22! That's only one year older than MJ was when he was drafted. If LBJ wants he can set almost every scoring record in the book.

The one thing I've noticed in watching him this year is just how much better his jump shot is. He did something this summer because there's no fade to it anymore, especially on his threes. Give him two or three more off-seasons to work with a shooting coach, especially on free throws, and I don't know what he's gonna do. Some better teammates might help too.

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Kobe is on such a higher level defensively that this should not even be a discussion. And Lebron can't do anything in the clutch near to what Kobe, Wade, or even Melo (though he is better) can do. Lebron is definitely the most talented and athletic player in the league right now. But Kobe and TD are pretty far ahead of him in terms of skills on both sides of the court.

And I'm still blaming the Pistons (and David Stern) for giving the Cavs the trip to the Finals last year.

Next stop June 2015

Lebron definitely has a higher ceiling in the scoring department career-wise than Kobe, which is saying something. I think Kobe definitely was the better player last year and I need more than a month of this season to crown King James the true king of the NBA....particularly since he's never came close to 81 points in a game. ...and as one poster said, Kobe is the better defender and it's not close.

...and yes, the Cavs somehow found their way through the EC to the finals last year. Lebron had a better supporting cast than Kobe. ...and even then, what an embarrassment against the Spurs. I would not use that as a measuring stick.

But considering everything, it's pretty close right now. I would accept either in trade ;<)

Two words: Agent Zero.

No one better ATM.

As for defense, Kobe of course gets the nod, but LeBron has been killing himself on the defensive end this year. In a couple years, if he tries hard enough he's got the size and skill to be an elite stopper if he wants.

He was extremely impressive today - he distorted our entire defense and he still scored easily. And when you look at his teammates and consider that he lead that team into the Finals - that is very impressive

Quote Originally Posted by #31 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Without further thought... it has to be LEBRON! I am talking about talent, i am talking about skills and little of everything else. He is just a freak, totally ridicilous... never seen anything like this!

Any guy who make their teammates better and are capable of averaging a tripple double for a season always gets my vote... Oscar Robertson, Magic Johnson, Jason Kidd (sux at scoring tho) and maybe Michael Jordan and now Lebron James.

And oh yeah, he now averages:

31.3 ppg
    8.1 apg
    8.3 rpg
    2.1 spg
    1.6 bpg

50% FG
    37% 3PT
    70% FT

Already 4 tripple doubles this season and other times 1-2 rebound/assist shy.
    Makes his team so much better, took his team because of this to the Finals.
    Only 22 years old and only gets better.

Its obvious, after 15 or so years... we will be saying "Who will be the next Lebron James!?" or "Oh man! Those numbers were so Lebronesque!".

And please dont give me that "But he doesnt have a ring" thing, championship i strongly believe is a team achievement and a simple individual cant do it all by himself, Kobe had Shaq & Co, Wade had Shaq & Co, Lebron has.... Ilgauskas... If this what i say is bull**** then Robert Horry must be the best player in the league and probably the best player ever, he does have 7 rings?
    I agree completely. Getting this cast past Detroit (last year) is something no one else can come close to doing except maybe Wade (not Garnett, not Duncan, maybe not Nash, and definitely not Kobe).
    Pacers!

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AesopRockOn View Post
    Kobe is on such a higher level defensively that this should not even be a discussion. And Lebron can't do anything in the clutch near to what Kobe, Wade, or even Melo (though he is better) can do. Lebron is definitely the most talented and athletic player in the league right now. But Kobe and TD are pretty far ahead of him in terms of skills on both sides of the court.

And I'm still blaming the Pistons (and David Stern) for giving the Cavs the trip to the Finals last year.
    Did you watch the pistons series last year???? was it game 5 maybe? dude ended up with 47 points or some more than half of them in the 4th qaurter, scoring at will every single time he came down the court to win in overtime.

my memory is hazy on the details, i think it was overtime, but I know he was the only cav scoring at the time, scored like 20 straight points. How can you say the guy aint clutch?
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by IndyFan032589 View Post
    Two words: Agent Zero.

No one better ATM.
    Thats funny right there.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

How is Wade still in this conversation?

IMO, it's between four guys:

Steve Nash (the team guy/quintessential PG)
    Tim Duncan (the big guy with the rings)
    Kobe Bryant (the scorer with the killer instinct)
    LeBron James (the 22 year old with the most talent)

I think that LeBron has become the best player in the league at this point. And it has nothing with his stats. He's dialed up his defense and he's pretty much willing the Cavs to victory every game he can. They should be nowhere near .500 this year and they wouldn't be if you replaced him with any other player in this league except for arguably the aforementioned players.

And let's not let this one slip up today at the FT cloud our judgment about his abilities in the clutch. When LeBron kicks it into another gear at the end of games, no one is stopping him.

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    How is Wade still in this conversation?

IMO, it's between four guys:

Steve Nash (the team guy/quintessential PG)
    Tim Duncan (the big guy with the rings)
    Kobe Bryant (the scorer with the killer instinct)
    LeBron James (the 22 year old with the most talent)
    I think Wade is up there because he has a ring in which he did most of the work (not Shaq) and the last few times he matched up with Kobe or Lebron he looks quicker and plays to their level if not better. He's been injured, so maybe you can take him off the list, but he is definitely up there.
    Pacers!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wade is still a very good player. IMO he deserves to be in the conversation right now, but maybe not by the end of this season.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

sweabs

I had the luxury of watching Lebron play the Raptors the other night as well.

On that note, who gets back-to-back triple doubles. Seriously...who does that? It's just crazy. The second game on the road, to boot.

Anyway, after watching him destroy both teams single-handedly there are so many times when I just laugh at the television after seeing him make a play. You just slump in your seat and say "how do you stop that?" Honestly, there are so many times when you just think there is absolutely no way of stopping him.

You get up too close on the defensive end, and he blows right by you like a running back holding onto the ball, and lays it in easily at the rim. You sag just an inch too much, and he's drilling the jumper. Then you throw triple teams at him and he somehow delivers a perfect pass to the open man who has days to shoot (we shouldn't feel bad...he did exactly the same thing to the Raptors the other night as well).

He's almost an impossible cover.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarey View Post
    I had the luxury of watching Lebron play the Raptors the other night as well.

On that note, who gets back-to-back triple doubles. Seriously...who does that? It's just crazy. The second game on the road, to boot.

Anyway, after watching him destroy both teams single-handedly there are so many times when I just laugh at the television after seeing him make a play. You just slump in your seat and say "how do you stop that?" Honestly, there are so many times when you just think there is absolutely no way of stopping him.
    I watched that Raptors game. That was the game of the season so far. I have that same reaction where you just throw up your hands and look at your friends/TV/dog/whatever and laugh. That might be the best indicator of how good a player is, how often you just laugh at the TV because you can't believe it.

What surprised me most about that game, though, was Chris Bosh. I don't watch the Raptors a lot so I wasn't aware of just how good he's become. He's just awesome, inside and outside. I'm gonna be watching a lot more Raptors games on Leage Pass from now on.

I'd have to say LeBron is the best player in the NBA right now. He's putting up triple doubles every other night like its nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    As for defense, Kobe of course gets the nod, but LeBron has been killing himself on the defensive end this year. In a couple years, if he tries hard enough he's got the size and skill to be an elite stopper if he wants.
    I don't follow the Lakers much but from what I hear from Laker fans, Kobe isn't an elite stopper either.

He CAN be but according to them he only really exerts himself on defense for brief periods during a game or if he's playing against someone and the matchup interests him.

Feel free to disagree with this - it's pretty much hearsay from forums and boards and a brother-in-law.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

I think to fully appreciate James you need to see him in person and up close.

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    Can't put him ahead of Kobe, Timmy or Dwyane yet.

Yet is probably the key word in all this though. He's got the highest ceiling of anyone I've ever seen touch a basketball and I think he'll probably shatter that even.
    wade was only good when he got a healthy shaq. Im not sure if he can carry his team like Lebron did with the cavs