Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Post Game Thread #11 Blown Out by the Lakers

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Post Game Thread #11 Blown Out by the Lakers

Thought I'd get it started.

Ugly, ugly, ugly loss. But I'll start with the positives because there were a few. Keep in mind that I only saw the second half.

Obviously, Shawne Williams played well tonight. I'm starting to see why Obie is so excited about him. He seems to be a very hard worker that is actually hungry to get better, seems to have a real passion for the game. He was aggressive all night, had some nice plays taking the ball to the basket topped off with a monster dunk in the third quarter. Showed a nice touch from the outside as well.

Granger played slightly above my expectations, had a nice couple of plays in the third quarter, was aggressive, shot the ball reasonably well. He showed up tonight which is more than can be said for some of our guys.

Quis didn't shoot the ball incredibly well but he at least seemed to put forth some effort, especially when we were down big. Are we really that bad of a team that I am lauding guys for TRYING?!

Hulk looked rather solid on defense and scored in double figures. Oh, and he didn't get into foul trouble. That's really all I expect from him.

Okay, on to the negatives.

Deiner cannot handle the ball whatsoever. He's a terrible shooter (right now) and even worse at defending. It seems like Obie is losing some confidence in him, he only have him 8 minutes of PT tonight. That doesn't bode too well for our PG depth, at all. Farmar took him to school tonight.

Dunleavy didn't even look like he was trying. He is supposed to be one of our primary options and shot the ball I think 6 times. That's scary, as in scary bad.

Our defense all around was HORRIBLE, especially on the perimeter. The Lakers looked like they were conducting some type of orchestra with their ball movement out there. And what they were doing wasn't especially revolutionary or anything, it's just that we couldn't keep up to where the ball was at for some reason, giving them plenty of open looks from beyond the arc. We kind of looked like a tormented cat chasing one of those laser light things, always a couple of steps behind

JO played mediocre. I still feel like we're dumping it down to him to much. A couple of plays that looked forced immediately come to mind. He has improved on his outside shot, but he isn't too good at going inside at all right now. Although Ike has only played in three games all year, so far he looks like our primary interior threat. By losing a lot of his ability to play inside JO has lost a key facet to his game. Hopefully this is only temporary and those years of banging around in the paint haven't caught up to him, yet.

And on to Nawlins. I don't have a lot of confidence about beating them right now, we can only hope that Peja stays consistent to his days as a Pacer and sits out
    Last edited by idioteque; 11-20-2007 at 10:47 PM.

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

Default Re: Post Game Thread #11 Blown Out by the Lakers

ah you beat me - punk :P

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Shawne should be getting more minutes thats about all I got from this game.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

alright off to bed I go - i might be able to see some defense in my dreams...this was a horrid night - my blankie could do a better job at covering a LA LA player tonight...

oh after seeing tonights game - I think the trade talks of JO for Bynum should be put to sleep - no way that deal is going down...

I have a real serious question. I considered staring a new thread for this.

I have heard from many of you over the past couple of seasons that you can take losing if the team plays a wide open free wheeling offense. How many times have I had the Denver game from 4 seasons ago thrown in my face - the one where the Pacers won 72-72 and I made a big deal about how much I loved it.

Well is this better. Giving up 130 points. But the offense sure looked good

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Changes...MAJOR changes have to be made. Or we're a lottery team. Period.

Haven't seen the last few games b/c of being out of town. Having seen this one, wish I were going to be away more often this season.

Honestly, I see nothing I like outside Williams and Granger. Well, Foster was his usual hustling self and that's good. Harrison looked halfway decent, but I won't count on that of course.

Bynum rejected JO like 3-4 times. Twice consecutively. I guess it must be the knee. At this point, Odom and/or Farmar would have been a welcome deal.

Next stop June 2015

It is a proven fact that defense, not a free flowing offense, wins playoff games and championships. However, this team does not have great defensive players. Consequently, I would rather see games where we lose 130-110 than 90-75.

So, until we stock this team with the right type of players and with enough talent, that is the choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

I have heard from many of you over the past couple of seasons that you can take losing if the team plays a wide open free wheeling offense. How many times have I had the Denver game from 4 seasons ago thrown in my face - the one where the Pacers won 72-72 and I made a big deal about how much I loved it.

It looked good for the first half. Then it looked about as bad as the defense.

We played a good offensive game. Look horrible on the defensive end. They shot 58% for the game. What sucks is that we killed them on second chance points, but it didn't matter.
    Last edited by odeez; 11-20-2007 at 10:53 PM.
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

You can run up the floor and gun up plenty of shots, but you can't hide a lack of talent. We've got no defensive players (especially perimeter), no shooters, no big-time socrer.

What's happened to Dunleavy? The disappearing acts appear to be back.

Buck, I did not get to see the majority of the game, but from what I did see and read on here, the offense was not that good. Maybe compared to the defense, but......

You nailed it during the last game. If the other team doesn't have outside shooters, the offense and defense are going to look fantastic. Otherwise, we're in big, big trouble. I am starting to think that Obie's defense might be a little outdated considering how many perimeter-oriented teams there are in this league. Phoenix could potentially score 150 points on us.

1..2..3.. lil old blue sportsmusicxboxpacer's Avatar

line up changes is a must right now or something this too much real pain in *** see team play like this we need a back up point badly diner is a waste of money i dont care abt 3 point shot he can do but run team hell no no doubt in my mind there will be a trade in few weeks if this keep going
    IF YOU A PACER FAN DONT BASH TO THE PACERS..!!!!!

trade please!
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    Haven't seen the last few games b/c of being out of town. Having seen this one, wish I were going to be away more often this season.

Honestly, I see nothing I like outside Williams and Granger. Well, Foster was his usual hustling self and that's good. Harrison looked halfway decent, but I won't count on that of course.

Bynum rejected JO like 3-4 times. Twice consecutively. I guess it must be the knee. At this point, Odom and/or Farmar would have been a welcome deal.
    j.o. sprained his ankle in the first half.

Quote Originally Posted by Irk Woodsman View Post
    j.o. sprained his ankle in the first half.
    Thanks for the info. Now that you mention it, I do remember him grimacing at some point.

Now is another injury good? Well, excuses his awful performance tonight. Hopefully, it's minor, but the injuries just keep cropping up.

Next stop June 2015

Quote Originally Posted by odeez View Post
    trade please!
    There are not many healthy, tradeable assets to work with...and teams just don't give away talent.

I seriously doubt this team will get much better before we do so through the draft. For those who constantly downplay the draft, look at Shawne Williams and Danny Granger. I believe they are two of our best players just after a few years...and they were picked pretty low at #17. Imagine if we got a couple lotto picks.

I am seriously open to moving anyone other than Granger and Shawne if it gets us some decent draft picks next season. I'm ready to stop delaying the inevitable and just rebuild through the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    I am seriously open to moving anyone other than Granger and Shawne if it gets us some decent draft picks next season. I'm ready to stop delaying the inevitable and just rebuild through the draft.
    I'd like to add Ike to that. I sincerely believe that we've got something good with those three.

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    I'd like to add Ike to that. I sincerely believe that we've got something good with those three.
    I like Ike, but I'm very concerned about his size. I'm not sure the rest of his game can make up for his inability to stop bigger guys from simply shooting over him.

I'd be fine with keeping him, though.

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

Honestly I didn't really come away from watching that game with too many negatives we played our game the entire time from beginning to end. We're supposed to be protecting the paint and forcing them to take their 3's trouble was they were making them. Other than that Kobe was just Kobe and had one of his better nights. I honestly don't believe every team not even if we played the lakers another 9 games in a row would be shooting lights out like they did tonight.

I like Ike, but I'm very concerned about his size. I'm not sure the rest of his game can make up for his inability to stop bigger guys from simply shooting over him.

I'd be fine with keeping him, though.
    He's learning, though. I'd love for him to just face up and shoot when bigger guys stop him. This is what took Amare's game to another level. Ike is a very, very solid mid-range guy.

Next stop June 2015

I am seriously open to moving anyone other than Danny and Shawne if it gets us some decent draft picks next season. I'm ready to stop delaying the inevitable and just rebuild through the draft.
    Shawne, Granger and Ike in that order. No one else has any long term value IMO. Foster is important if you want to win games right now, but his days are numbered and should be traded. You can count JO's time left by looking at your watch. Trade him now or stick a fork in him. Same with Quis.

Not preparing to succeed, is preparing to fail....

Here is the plan over the next 3 years:
    1) Trade all assets for '08, '09 and '10 draft picks
    2) Allow Dun, Murphy and Tins contracts to expire (note: they are not tradeable assets
    3) Hit the free agent market, because we will have a ton of cap room.