Thread: Confused about Artest's injury? This clears it up

Default Confused about Artest's injury? This clears it up

Appears Rick Carlisle was the source of the confusion on exactly what the injury is.

http://www.indystar.com/articles/0/115271-6160-116.html

Pacers' Artest has sprained thumb

By Mark Montieth
    mark.montieth@indystar.com
    January 27, 2004

Indiana Pacers forward Ron Artest has a sprained left thumb that should not keep him out of game action.

That, at least, was the latest report following a confusing turn of events following the Pacers practice at Conseco Fieldhouse today.

Artest, who flew to New York on Monday to be examined, told reporters he wasn't sure of his thumb's condition until team personnel studied his MRI.

Moments later, coach Rick Carlisle said Artest had suffered torn ligaments. But after most reporters had left, Carlisle came back to correct himself.

"I got wrong information," Carlisle said. "He's got a strained thumb.

"It's bothering him, but we're hopeful."

Artest had torn a ligament in the thumb his sophomore season at St. John's, and underwent surgery. He re-injured it in the Pacers' game at New Jersey on Jan. 17.

Although he's continued to play, his performance has been obviously hindered. He's hit 31 percent of his field goal attempts and averaged 4.2 rebounds in the five game since suffering the injury.

Artest was a full participant in Monday's practice, however, and talked optimistically of his ability to continue playing.

"You make sure you protect yourself and just play the game," he said.

"It could be a season-long (problem), but you go through it. In the playoffs one year Scottie Pippen fell on his back, but (Chicago) still won the championship."

Artest admitted the injury has curtailed his aggressiveness and confidence in recent games. He hopes the encouraging diagnosis allows him to return to the level of play that could earn him a spot in the All-Star game.

"The past couple of games there were a lot of things I didn't want to do, because I didn't want to be out before the playoffs," he said. "You give all you can give and wait to get the results back."

Tim

Default Re: Confused about Artest's injury? This clears it up

"The past couple of games there were a lot of things I didn't want to do, because I didn't want to be out before the playoffs," he said. "You give all you can give and wait to get the results back."
    So now Al and Ron are playing with injuries.

It seems the Pacers didn't learn their leason from last season.
    Reggie tried playing through his injury and he stunk in the playoffs.

The regular season means nothing if we go into the post season with key people not 100%. The Pacers have enough wins in the bank to sit Ron and Al until they are healthy.

We need Ron to shoot well and we need Al coming off that bench 100% percent.

So is it a sprain(ligament) or a strain(muscle)?

I'm still confused.
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

I'm still confused.
    It says it's a strain, but there's no muscle in the thumb to strain.... my guess is ligament.
    Official Member of the Anti-Alliteration Association

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm still confused.

This is the same outfit that said, a couple of seasons ago, that Jalen Rose had Plantar Fasciitis in his knees (Plantar Fasciitis is a foot injury, Jalen actually had tendonitis in his knees) so unless they're quoting Davie Craig or Dr. Kunckle, I wouldn't count on it being delivered or quoted correctly. ed:
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you